Jill Scott on losing 50 pounds: I'm in a good place
May 16th, 2011

Jill Scott on losing 50 pounds: I'm in a good place

Singer and actress Jill Scott is experimenting with her sound on her first album in four years, “The Light of the Sun,” and she’s also showing off a new physique.

The singer has dropped more than 50 pounds, and is now smaller than she’s been in 20 years.

The "Golden" songstress tells the June issue of Ebony that she slimmed down with the help of a trainer who knew how to keep workouts playful. (See behind-the-scenes footage of Scott on Ebony.com.)

“Anything that makes me feel like I’m not working out,” the single mom of one says. “We go outside and throw footballs, go for walks.”

Scott adds that she's truly "in a good place."

"I’m past caring about some things that never mattered in the first place and [I'm] in love with my baby boy," she says. "I’m also unafraid. I know how much music has always meant to me, how much it means to us all, and I know there’s someone out there, maybe just one someone, who can feel inspired by being brave.”

Something else that surely inspires others are the copious compliments Scott bestows on those she comes across.

“I just think it’s silly to be stingy with compliments," she tells Ebony. "If you see someone and they strike you as beautiful in any way, why not let them know? I love faces, but I like to take in people in general. I’m a world-class people watcher. I like to watch people’s body movements, their expressions. It says so much about them.”

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. EssegoNor

mgpnj fitflop rqdxn fitflops ijbzl fitflops sale jsrhs http://fitflopshoessg.info/ negpx sneakers isabel marant jbnjt basket isabel marant jwwhz sneakers isabelle marant fcpvu http://frisabellemarant.info/ vtdcb burberry outlet zidnf burberry outlet online hlipx burberry outlet store bbnxx http://burberrydusoutletonline.info/ aeefx lisseur ghd xgarn lisseur ghd pas cher zbrxz ghd france cookn http://frghdlisseur.info/ yacfe insanity fitness hlqoy insanity workout dvds ilgel insanity shaun t sxnph http://australiainsanityworkoutsale.info/

February 1, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. Curtis Croome

I like what Ms Scott's say's when she refers to perhaps she is empowering someone to be brave, when it came to how she took on her nemesis of the unhealthy lifestyle of being overweight. This is something that is not only attacking your physical health, but it also can have an impact on your mental and psycological well-being too! Thank you Ms. Scott for being a champion against a thing that is liken unto a giant in the lives of many people. And, it is an enemy that attacks people no matter if they are male or female, young or old, rich or poor, black or white, in has no respect of person. So my sister, you are a heroine for all of us, keep up the good work. May God continue to use you to be a blessing in your own life, and in the lives of others also.

February 9, 2012 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. poomidume

OTHMIQFUBZNCN http://www.wolfwebdesign.net ROTENSSKOIKCQ http://www.odeprogramiroda.net BPVXQQIONEHVK

November 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jess

Jill, your fans love you and I am so proud of u!!!! You

June 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. deb

After read what jill scott said we think so much alike it's sad that other people don't stop to C the wonderfulness in others "lov u jill"

June 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Shannon

Go girl! Jill you look beautiful! If you are still worrying about the color of someone's skin you lack education and in this day and age...a brain. Signed the beautiful mixed 24 year old that is entering law school this fall. :)

June 10, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. billbaby54

Go head on my Homegirl !! I love you,& wish that I could relive the Philly concert (Jill/Max) every 3 days !! You are phenomenal Sista ! Much Love,Peace,& Joy.

Sheri Mc (Phillystyle)

June 10, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. loveisallyouneed

Jill you may be 50lbs lighter but you still will never get my handsome black hubby to look twice at you!

May 31, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. AC Summers

Do you Divine Diva....Weather you lost the weight for health, security, strength, and/or pride. You did it for you/your-family and that is ALL that matters.

May 20, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Carlos

Too bad she is ugly inside. Racism stinks,Ms. Scott,no matter who it is coming from.

May 17, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Hi

Shut up, all of you. Go read a book.

May 17, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Liv

Congratulations, Jill! I wish HBO would bring back that wonderful Ladies Detective Agency series. We love it.

May 17, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Teenie Weenie

@sugamama. Mind your own business.

May 17, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sugamama

These comments are sad and we call ourselves the HUMAN RACE,find a chat room.

May 17, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Teenie Weenie

@ProfessionalBlackChick. Can you not feel the undeniable chemistry between us?

May 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  16. teepee

Next thing we will hear: Jill Scott...how I gained 70 pounds...love them pok chops...

May 17, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Teenie Weenie

@ProfessionalBlackChick. Did you read my post?

May 17, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Manny

Wow, good thing that photo is not air brushed.

May 17, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Butterbean

I'm very happy for her, but I also realize that they may never bring back The First Ladies' Detective Agency on HBO. :(

May 17, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Teenie Weenie

@comfortinprayer. Nobody here wants or is interested in your solicitations and scare tactics. Go away

May 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Teenie Weenie

@ProfessionalBlackChick. we should meet. I feel we are a match. I look forward to your reply.

May 17, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  22. comfortinprayer

This isn’t the only important new’s today….

It's the end of days & the beginning of a new world

A message from Uncommon Love:

It's the end of days. Believe it or not you've been living strong through John the Baptist’s prophecy in Revelations. If you have any questions, you can rely on Christ to provide any answers you need if you haven't received them already, please don’t forget the power of prayer and the strength he can provide for you now that he’s here on earth…..

Read our non profit's full message about living during Revelations at http://www.Lyft.me or http://www.Lyft.Us

Don’t forget to contact us with any questions you have or any problems you need fixed. Our organization is dedicated to helping people find a Church that’s perfect for them [we can get you free video of any service world wide], or even a charity that they can offer some money or even volunteer time too.

This message and our websites have been created by a prophetic man named Jon Pierson; as he has been able to be aided by Christ and God. He is currently still dealing with attacks from the devil that have created road block's that are getting in the way of his path towards the life he would want to have and his plans to help other's out. We look forward to meeting with you and hearing your testimony about what you’ve been through and your plans for the future.

Share this comment/website and earn money towards a donation to your favorite charity or Church[$1.00] just make sure the person contacts us with your email address or phone # in order to retrieve your gift. Our email is HelpMet@Live.com our office phone number is 310 Hyped U1 [497 3381] it’s about being high on life and not drugs or alcohol.]

This was brought to you by Uncommon Love [An organization that was founded by Jonathan]

Visit us at http://www.HelpMet.com and http://www.Commonun.com
    Don’t forget to visit Jon’s Online Journal at ComfortinPrayer.WordPress.com and at YourKoz.com

May 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Igor

and I have a HOT News Flash seeping outa my ass right now for your -> *POOT* <-Smell dat.

May 17, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Teenie Weenie

I'm not fat but have shortcomings elsewhere...

May 17, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Selfish Gene Simmons

Quick! Lose 50 pounds to get attention for your next album!

May 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  25. dianee

she says she's smaller than she's been in twenty years...she looks so young. i love hearing weight loss stories. i myself am losing weight. it's a great feeling of accomplishment.

May 17, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Yvonne

Why do people use this forum to spout racism? I'm talking about both sides here. I'm a balck woman and I was offended by what Jill Scott said, but it's her opinion and does her opinion matter to me, NO!!!!!!! I look at it like this, if someone does or says something I don't like. I don't buy their products, movie, clothes or music. That's it.

May 17, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  27. EasyE

Lookin awesome!

May 17, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jada Fire

All you stupid men. You want a hot black chick then check me out. Ms JADA FIRE. "YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH"

May 17, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. FJP912

Dissenting vote here. This is a disappointment. She was drop dead gorgeous before, now she is trying to conform to an external norm. I am sure she would insist, if asked, that entertainment industry pressure had nothing to do with her decision to lose so much weight. I am sure she would be sincere in saying that. I also think that she is so immersed in the industry she may be unable to step back and understand the forces working on her. It is quite possible to be "tradiitionally built" and healthy. She was never at an unhealthy weight IMHO. She always looked like what a woman is supposed to look like. It's her decision but I will mourn the loss of the stunning beauty of the traditionally built Jill.

May 17, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Tommy

Who is Jill Scott? Is she supposed to be famous? Never heard of this lady. All I saw was that she was in a tyler perry movie which absolutely does NOT make you famous. It makes you a really bad actor or a person who is attempting to act and couldnt get any other jobs. Why is this news?

May 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • BossLadyTPK

Google her dipsh!t. You're already on the computer, put it to GOOD use.

May 17, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Loosfootnell

Lane Meyer...shut up! That's her opinion...I am sure your stankin' ___ will wince at interracial dating...only different is you monkey is that you aren't famous and hide behind a computer!

May 17, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  32. joAnn

Way to go,girl.I'm proud,of you.Keep,up the good health and work,not only for your baby,but for you. JoAnn

May 17, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Bsol9791

@The guy ranting about overweight people.

First, while I would tend to agree that managing one's weight is very much within most people's ability (injuries and glandular disorders aside), let's not pretend that everyone is on a level playing field. For instance, I have two friends who are brothers from a very overweight family. One is obese, the other is not. The strange part is that the one who somehow managed to remain thin all his life, is the one that sits on his butt smoking pot, playing video games, and eating high calorie foods all day. His brother, on the other hand, has to really work at it (and has seen great success in losing weight!).

It's not fair. That's life. And we all have to deal with the cards we're dealt. But it's disingenuous to berate overweight people as if your trials were anything like theirs. Chances are, if you're thin as an adult in America and you don't make a conscious effort to avoid high calorie foods and exercise regularly, then you were just dealt a good hand. The average American who doesn't watch what they eat and doesn't exercise regularly, is overweight or obese.

There's also the fact that the deck is stacked against us. Again, this is a choice. But it's disingenuous to suggest that it's "easy" to eat right in America. We are completely inundated with high calorie foods to the point where there really are very few healthy options in the sea of what's readily available. So what's for lunch? McDonald's? Sure, you could go for the oatmeal or side salad that make up .02% of their menu, but chances are good you'll go for one of the hundreds of other items they market to you with tons of calories and low nutritional value.

My point is, while I agree managing one's weight is a choice, it's pure BS to claim that it's an easy one. If you believe that, then you're probably just some skinny punk who's always been skinny without having to try. Walk a mile in the average American's shoes and you might learn something about what it means to actually have to work hard for something.

May 17, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Darkie

Cover it as she may. She is still a fat rhino.

May 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  35. riley08182008

Who the hell is this? This isn't news.

May 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Devine one

F anyone that doesn't feel she did a good job losing weight. She does not care about your opinion. She have enough money to buy the opinion that she wants to hear. As for the caucasian people making racist comments. It's hilarius to the African American race. After all these years you are still infearior!!! LOL B@%^#ES!!!

May 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Nasya

Jilly from Philly looks great., she looked great before her weight loss but now she is really glowing:) congrats Jill.

May 17, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Livin my Life like it's Golden

OK! That it it!
    First J-Hud now Jill Scott! To the treadmill I go LOL!
    You ladies are so lovely on the INSIDE and OUTSIDE!!!
    God Bless you and thanks for continuing to be an inspiration– BTW Bring Back Ma Ramotswe WE LOVE #1 Ladies Detective Agency!

May 17, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  39. @Rock God

Lol..so true. Fat people were then freaks and still are.

May 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  40. tiny tim

I don't think fat people ever get hungry enough where their stomach make noises and they are really hungry. I think they shove food in their mouths every hour and never feel that hungry feel. @Wow, are we to feel sorry for your fat brother. No one put a gun to his head and say eat everything but the kitch sink. Poor baby, now he has to eat like a normal person. How sad. I would think it's better seeing him eat normal size food servings that him wolfing down everything on the kitchen table.

May 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Jill Scott is truly a beautiful woman inside/out, fat/skinny, but I have to say that "Star Jones" looks terrible after her weight loss even if it was for health reasons. Star's face was pretty when she was fat but now it's not something you'd want to take a long look at.

May 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Beautiful Vixen

Oops..my bad. Correction..nobody and right mind. Needed to fix that before the spelling police stop by.

May 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Mr. Ed

Being hu ng as a horse it easy for me to find the really fat chicks h0le. If i can't find it I sprinkle flour to find the wet s-pot. Fat chicks are pretty nasty bc they have bad BO.

May 17, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  44. ProfessionalWhiteDude

Lots of gullible and racist people on the thread. ProfessionalBlackChick should get back to crunching numbers and stop acting like a victim...

May 17, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • ProfessionalBlackChick

@Professional White Dude. I have never will never play the victim. I have no need to. You need to worry about your fellow racists who have to make themselves feel better by using racial slurs. The bathroom in our office needs to be cleaned. Can you get back to work and stop chatting on the computer.

May 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peoplearemean

@problackchik–you are unbelievable, first you say you are not a racist then you go on to try and degrade prowhitedude IN THE SAME POST! You may have a couple degrees, but you are as stupid as they come!

May 17, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • ProfessionalBlackChick

@Peoplearemean. I am commenting about the individual. Not the entire race. That is what most people are doing here. You are stupid if you can not know the difference. So please KICK ROCKS!

May 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  45. cmc

I guess this means she's definately not ever going to play Precious Ramotswe again. She is, afterall, traditionally built.

May 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Tripod

I always enjoy watching the fat people pile their plates at the chinese buffet. Then...return for a 3rd and 4th trip.

May 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Kutie

She is a racist and a fat one at that.. and yes I do know her!!!

May 17, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • artrain

I am sure this will get some bad responses but .........
      Some of the most narrow minded, racsit women I have ever know were black. Most of the time they went with a double standard; it was ok for them to date white guys but a black guy with a white women was an insult to all black women. If someone can explain that to me, I would be grateful.

May 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Allegra

Oh no! Does this mean she's no longer "traditionally built?" :)

May 17, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • cmc

That was my concern too. I figured the series ended when the director died, but this just makes it seem more certain. It's a shame. They did a good job bringing the books to film.

May 17, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Judy P

I wish that we all can have a personal trainer..

May 17, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  50. West Philly Native

I love me some Jill Scott. You were always beautiful. Unless there were some health concerns, you were fine as you were... Come back to Birmingham, Al. Soon.

May 17, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Beautiful Vixen

Lol..wow you can always tell the fat people on these blogs. WOW..478 lbs! Noboby in their right minds would let themselves gain that much weight to begin with. Fat people don't want to admit to themselves that they are greedy (They don't know when to put down the fork) and just plain LAZY. Your brother should join ClubKO. One hour of intense kick boxing workout. You kick an punch a real bag (not air like they do in other gyms). Your brother should try it. I bet in no time he'll be walking around in his new swimsuit looking great. Ladies Jazzercise are good for you also. There is just no excuse to be grossing people out with your fat selves. Yes I know I will get heat for what I write but that will only mean my comment hit a nerve and the truth hurts. Have a nice day and eat a salad for lunch instead of going and eat at Fat Burger.

May 17, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  52. David Crandall

I've never never heard of her.

May 17, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Stephen

What's a Jill Scott?

May 17, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  54. artrain

@Anti-Racialist Coalition: The woman is flat out racist against interracial couples. Who cares how she lost weight?

Maybe now she can work on the inside. I was very sad to read that Essence article, maybe this will help her find some understanding.

May 17, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • ProfessionalBlackChick

@Ian. No self respecting women of any color would mess with you little man. That is why you have chip on your shoulder. They have surgeries and pills to help with your problem.

May 17, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

black chick. I love dating slim well built black chicks with nice round black nodules on they chest and tasty rumps to bounce on. But Jill Scott wouldnt qualify.

May 17, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Rock God

Have you notice how FAT Americans are getting? You used to have to go to the circus to see the fat lady. Now you just have to look out the window. Sad.

May 17, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • jennifer

You people suck her in the states,people are fat all over the world get out and travel now i see why the french think we are stupid. We are not the only country with fat people ok hey if you want to do something about people work with the ones who are stupid in this country. Fat is not the issue we have a country full of dumb people look at our school system.Yeah we place more values on looks but yet we are so stupid oh we look so good with out brains in our heads.Woooooooooow oh we are so cool and far far behind.

May 17, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Lisa

One question why cant we have WET oh I no that would get Jesse jackson,Al Sharpton and the rest of the idiots crying this is so wrong screw the "BET AWARDS"IT'S TIME THE WHITE PEOPLE STOP BACKING DOWN TO THE BLACKS NAND MOVE ON.AND I BET THIS COMMENT GETS DELETED.....................................................

May 17, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • ProfessionalBlackChick

There is WET. It is called MTV, ABC, CBS, FOX, WB, etc. You have to be kidding right? BET highlight thing about the black culture. Do yo want to take away the other ethnic channels for Asian, Latino's, etc.

May 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • uncle remus

ABC, NBC, CBS, MTV etc are the gay channels...GET. Those channels are for the Fuudgepacking idiots.

May 17, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • ProfessionalBlackChick

@Iggy. What black people do you know to say anything. People like you always make random racist coments without even knowing what they are talking about. All that comes out your mouth is hot air. Please close your mouth because your breath is humming.

May 17, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Lisha

Wow! There are some truly hateful people reading this article. It makes you feel better to hate on others all the time. How very, very, very sad you are. We all see it in your writing. Go get help – please. You are really sad and pathetic. It is so sad. I feel so bad for you. I know it must be hard living your sad lives. We are all praying for you

May 17, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Adeles big butt

Jill Scott has eaten so much junk and grease that her bowels are messed up. She has to take a TurdBucket with her everywhere but most times just craps in her panties.

May 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Lisha

To all...Lloyd is just saying it to get a rise out of some people....the best medicine for people like this – IGNORE....

May 17, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  60. alberto

she's absolutely beautiful, i thought that about her when i first saw her but she's even more beautiful now. let's face it, people gain and lose weight for a reason, and it's mostly tied to emotions, (or sometimes a person isn't able to exercise etc but the emotions kick in even more and eating takes the place of feeling bad)..i'm sure jill realized that for her physical and emotional health, she needs to hopefully adopt to a healthier diet and exercise, which many people are capable of, but just won't do it or find it hard to do because they don't commit to themselves. hats off to jill, let's hope for her sake she doesn't rebound and put the weight back on. 8 years ago i was 80lbs heavier and have been at my same weight for 3 years now. i know what i can have, i know what i can't have and i focus on many other things. it can be done, not easy, but it can be done. she looks radiant.

May 17, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Anti-Racialist Coalition

May 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • are you serious???

ROFLMAO its funny to see you people call her racist when most of you also are just that RACIST.. I see my daughter who is black and her boyfriend who is white cause many a neck pain when they are out and about.. so shut your pie hole and leave her be thats her choice right wrong or in between ONLY she will answer for her thoughts at the end of her time.

May 17, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  62. WOW

You guys are freaking funny. You guys take a lot of time out to comment to eachother on a article about weightless. Let see one of you being 478lbs, and feel like you live in a prison, then lose weight like 260lbs, and acutlaly go out and by swimming trunks, try seeing your family eat normal food, while you have to stick to you diet, no because you are lazy but because you were born with being a chumpy kid, then a chunpy teen, then a chumpy adult. That story by the way is about my brother, i seen his struggles. You people really are sick people, oh and by the way I weigh 125lb just in case you wanted to know, jerks.

May 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adeles big butt

How about we see you kiss my big ass, Mister Shyt for Brains.

May 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  63. William the LongShanks

Maybe this GayLemon swallower can go on Oprah and they can talk discuss black gayness, a subject with which Oprah and GAYle are well versed.

May 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  64. v

would help if i had a personal trainer too!

May 17, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Poopernickel

Don Lemon...another typical black male...gay gay gay.

May 17, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Ian

Don Lemon, so aptly named, like to squeeze mens lemons till the juice runs down his leg.

May 17, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  67. DJ

Jill, So proud of you!! Love you and your music. I am wishing you much success now and in the future. Hang in there!!

May 17, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  68. ProfessionalBlackChick

@Adele Big Butt. If you are not a fan then why are you commenting about the story. Do you have something better to do like shaving your mother's back. Who would want you. I am guessing your small thing is no bigger than a baby.

May 17, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • ProfessionalBlackChick

@Adele Big Butt. I have an BBA in Accounting, and MBA international Business. I own a home and make $100K a year. I have no kids and have never received a handout. If you get off your lazy but and move out your mom's house maybe you can have a better career instead of skinning road kill to make clothes.

May 17, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  69. malsings07

White women are not the epitome of the perfect weight. Black women do not measure themselves by them she lost weight because she wanted to. White women look really bad when they age and have to rely on plastic surgery black and other races do not. Remember that!

May 17, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  70. Tracey

yeesh, who know weight & the losing of it was such a hot button topic! People are so afraid of weight they have to put others down who have suceeded and do nothing but hope and pray she gains it all back to make themselves feel better. HOW this makes anyone feel better is beyond me, but there it is. She looks really pretty, I have no idea who she is LOL but she seems nice. I'm an avid people-watcher too, and I'm really happy for anyone who can lose weight

May 17, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Tracey H.

Tracey, I agree. She is a very nice person. She's a "around the way girl" from Philly. And what I mean by a round the way girl, is very relaxed, smooth in her words and an all outgoing person. She is KOOL!

Tracey from Jersey

May 17, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Dee

I already can't wait for her to gain it all back & then some (as all fatties on diets do)

She was much better when she was accepting herself as she was. Boo!

May 17, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  72. theDude

She'll gain it back.

May 17, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  73. $$

Words are just that – WORDS!!!

She's laughing all the way to the bank – are you???? LOL Ms. Scott

May 17, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  74. r. kyle

Hi guys it is plain to see that she is blessed with talent so rather she is heavy or pencil thin the truth of a person comes from the inside and thats why you respect an artist the bottom line is to treat others how you want to be treated.

May 17, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  75. Tripod

@ProfessionalBlackChick. You are racist!

May 17, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • ProfessionalBlackChick

@Tripod. I am not a racist. I am just sick of ignorant people thinking they can bad mouth black women. Why? If you are not a fan and black women are not your type. Fine. Keep it moving, because we are not losing sleep over it. If I do not like you it is because of the type of person you are and your values, not the color of your skin. I see idiots in every race and nationality. I am just sick of them. That is who I call donkey "the A word".

May 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • ProfessionalBlackChick

@Ian. I have an BBA in Accounting, and MBA international Business. I own a home and make $100K a year. I have no kids and have never received a handout. I worked hard for everything I have. And no, my name is not Latrina. What is it you do? Cleaning up roadkill for from the highways do not make you a professional. Dumb Hick!

May 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony Montana

"Jill Scott? Shes a Horse."

May 17, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adeles big butt

More like you own an outhouse and decided to live in it.

May 17, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peoplearemean

I have to admit, I have never even heard of this woman. Good for her for losing the weight and all the people who are saying mean things about her weight are just, well, mean. As far as the racist part, if she really said that soul hurting thing, she clearly is a racist and the only reason she got away with it is because she is black. If a white singer had said the same thing their career would go down in flames and the media in this country would crucify them. It's obvious that problackchick is a racist as well becuase of all the comments she is posting. I don't care how many degrees you have, if you have no other argument than to call someone names and make fun of them, you are more stupid than someone who dropped out of the first grade!

May 17, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • ProfessionalBlackChick

@Peoplearemean. I am not racist. Have you seen any racial slurs in my coments. Some have called Jill Scout monkey, donkey, etc. You are called me stupid to resort to name calling. What are you doing. You are not better idiot.

May 17, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  76. I am fatman

Its ok hun, we'll just roll you in flower.

May 17, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  77. Lloyd Christmas

@N. I'm everywhere buddy.

May 17, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  78. Lloyd Christmas

It's obvious that VIRGOLADY hasn't been laid in some time.

May 17, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  79. Steven Gaynor

Jill, you will always be 'Precious' no matter what you weigh! Congrats, mma!

May 17, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Livin my Life like it's Golden

AMEN!!!! My daughter and I have the books and DVD Set! We love our Precious– oops I mean Jilly from Philly! LOL

May 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Steven Gaynor

Jill, you will always be 'Precious' no matter what you weigh! Congrats!

May 17, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Jessalyn

The only regret is that now she won't be able to reprise her wonderful role as Precious Romatwe–that "Traditionally-sized" lady detective! However, Jill will be much healthier, and that's a good thing.

May 17, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  81. renee

Continue to keep up the good work Jill, wishing you all the best.

May 17, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  82. Rene

Jill Scott has always been so radiently beautiful to me, inside and out. She also has a powerful old soul and a authentic spirit. Love her! Big or small.

May 17, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  83. ProfessionalBlackChick

I see there are a lot of immature idiots on here. Jill Scott is a beautiful and a very talented vocalist. If she is happy with herself, I am happy for her. For all of the haters here, if you do not like what you see please go jump off a bridge. Less inbreeding from you donkeys will help the human race.

May 17, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • IHATEPROFESSIONALBLACKCHICKS

I've got a nice pile of monkey turds for you to munch on. Racist pig!

May 17, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • ProfessionalBlackChick

@IHATEPROFESSIONALBLACKCHICKS and Adeles big butt you cank KICK ROCKS! Please go back to your trailer park and sleep with your Sister/Wife. Go eat you daily meal of squirrels, possum, etc.

May 17, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • ProfessionalBlackChick

May 17, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • IHATEPROFESSIONALBLACKCHICKS

I'll wager you're neither professional, black or even a chick. You're probably some sad, pathetic white guy living in his mommies basement. Go play in traffic until she calls you for supper. Poser!

May 18, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  84. itsallgoodnroanoke

I like it and YOU look good, You go girl!!!!

May 17, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • elm

Yes I know I look good and thank you!! But Jill Scott is still a fat hippo.

May 17, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  85. Jen

Miss Scott you look terrific congratulations
    ,I know your baby and your man are very proud of you.

May 17, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  86. LadiDiva

Jill – I commend you for taking the steps to do what you feel is best for you. Just know girl, I love you as you are you are a beautiful angel sent from heaven. In all you do continue to love you and know that you are a very special person inside and out. Smooches..........:)

May 17, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  87. K

I'm not heavy, but relate to what Jill is saying. I do so hate exercise for exercise sake. It's awful. I love the idea of promoting activity because it's fun. Throwing the ball, playing tennis, going for walks or racing with friends, playing games outside, swimming for fun, bicycling to a bookstore or a healthy lunch. This is the kind of activity I prefer. We might be a fatter nation because of the portion sizes we allow ourselves, but it's also because we're probably inside too much watching television or on the computer. Eat, then go outside and move; it's a good plan. She looks good, but she always has. It's much better to feel good, too.

May 17, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Artimus

And thank you for the excuse making. Feel better about your fat lumpy butt and those cottage cheese thighs?

May 17, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  88. VIRGOLADY

YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS!! STICK TO THE TOPIC OF CONVERSATION!!! OH, I FORGOT MAYBE SOME OF YOU CAN'T READ DO YOU NEED YOUR MOMMIES TO COME TO THE SANDBOX AND CHANGE YOUR DIAPERS??? GET A LIFE!!!!.

May 17, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  89. FACE

THis hiefer needed to lose weight. It will be back in 2 years

May 17, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
    • jay

You're obviously a jealous broad.

May 17, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • djug

I bet you are the size of a MAC truck. Stop hating and lose weight. Jill, I love you. Congratulations, and keep up the good work.

May 17, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  90. marian

Again? The mean spirited hateful people are out in full force! Whats the matter your moms didn't hug you enough when you was a child? All this name calling reminds me of children in the school yard ,just grow up and act your age not your shoe size!

May 17, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  91. @N

wow a hacker hacked all of our accounts & typed retarted lines.i bet it was llyod.nobody hacked him & hes all over dis blog.

May 17, 2011 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  92. Sunshine Girl *

If it makes her feel better and look better and sing better then who are we to judge her or say anything bad about her? I think shes done great and her music is good. She looks great now also. I wish her nothing but the best from here on out.

May 17, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  93. twisted

@tripod dude keep my name out your mouth

May 17, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  94. @N

What is happening to this place?

May 16, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  95. "blow me"

I have a feeling mel gibson is on this forum.

May 16, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  96. "do me"

@ F me. Yes, she's at the james frey blog

May 16, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  97. "F me"

Has anyone seen head diva in charge?

May 16, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  98. "blow me"

Are you kidding me? B lo me!

May 16, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  99. B lo me

Lmfao

May 16, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  100. tommy boy

Fat guy in a little coat

May 16, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  101. The biggest loser

Does KFC still have the double down?

May 16, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |

I'm at work.

May 16, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Sunshine Girl *

My a/c is broke

May 16, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  107. David

She's strong and talented, and I hope she keeps up the good work!

May 16, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Tom

I think she looks beautiful!

May 16, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  109. The biggest loser

Give her a break. Gosh...

May 16, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  110. J lo

Omg! You guys are cruel and crazy

May 16, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Beautiful Vixen

Lol

May 16, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Iamme24

Im happy for her keep up the good work jill=)

May 16, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  113. 50lb Stool

I'm outta there !

May 16, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  114. tripod

Whatever twisted. She pukes after every meal and pounds vodka.

May 16, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Peace

50 lbs lost, that took a lot of hard work! Good for her!!

May 16, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheron Denice Payne

Congrts jill for having the coourage to reinvent yourself. I may be that one person who was inspired to be brave by your songs "Golden" "a Long Walk" . My name is spelled Sheron Payne. ndin 2006 "Golden " was inspiring to me as
      I thought of the man that I really loved who accepted me unconditionally. not with him now but he knows who he is..Thankyou for expressing what I was feeling then. Sheron

May 27, 2011 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  116. twisted

She had a cute face cant wait to see her 50lbs lighter

May 16, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Lloyd Christmas

Just tell it how it is. Onward younglings!

May 16, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  118. LULU

People! People! Don't feed the troll! (Lloyd)

May 16, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Lloyd Christmas

@N. That's what I've been sayin...call richard simmons..*nd he likes the chubby pickle

May 16, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Javier Bartholomew

and I really am fat and dumb. read my posts. ive been told that a zillion times. dont matter anyhow. : )

May 16, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Javier Bartholomew

I am fat and stupid. So. Maybe one day i will be able to slow down on eating. I would sure feel alot better. IF you arent Lloyd then good for you. I wish I wasnt but then I just do the best I can.

May 16, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • MaryAnn in VA

Jill,
      You are and were beautiful. I have had the pleasure of seeing you on multiple occasions and you have always sung with such joy and light. Of course, you know not to mind what these haters say. Love ya girlfriend and look forward to your new music.

May 17, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Melisa

I agree with her about not being stingy with compliments.. I always like to compliment on people if I think they are beautiful or if they have something cute on..it doesn't hurt!

May 16, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Cathy

And Lloyd, if you're mad at someone, don't take it out on someone who's just reading an article or is the subject of one. Whether you get it or not, you're the only one here who thinks well of yourself. Sad.

May 16, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  124. tripod

@superhiro. You have a lot of time on your hands. I'm just a spectacular multi tasker.

May 16, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Superhiro

Congrats to her.

May 16, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  126. rubberman

I think,Jill Scott is beautiful fat, thin, or skinny. She is beautiful voice, or personality

May 16, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • canadycheryl

i think u are right , she is so pretty on the out and the in. I feel like once they go holly wood there is no return.

May 17, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Navigator

Absolutely! She's an absolutely beautiful woman.
      She sure is looking happy. Congrats Jill!!

May 17, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • black

@ Lane Meyer
      So its racist to talk about racial issues, and be honest our racial views? Honest dialog brings about understanding of oneself, and I commend Jill for speaking about her opinions. How else do people move from thinking in stereotypes? Do we just sprinkle fairy dust on them, and hope for the best?

May 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • White

@"Black"-Lane never mentioned anything about Jill being racist, however, it's obvious when someone says her "spirit winced" over the news of an interracial couple getting married, there's are racial issues going on. A lot of black women have issues with black men who choose to be with white women and we should talk about that. Why not feel happy that an interracial couple found each other and are happy and in love?

May 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Nothing says beauty quite like racism.....

May 17, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kriss Greenn

YES!!!! She is an great person and I'm happy for her. You go girl!

May 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bsol9791

@black – You tell me! Is it racist to speak openly and honestly about our personal prejudices? Perhaps not if it's in the context of one who sees such prejudices as a shortcoming, something to be improved upon in time. But if I were to tell you that my "spirit winced" at the mention of interracial marriage, as if there were something soulless and wrong about it?

Maybe you can help me to understand. Where is the constructive value in professing such flagrant bigotry? Do we commend Klan members for being open and honest about their prejudices? What's the difference here? Are black celebrities given a pass for some reason?

May 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • SHARON PAYNE

I AGREE, TO ME, JILL SCOTT LOOKS GREAT ALL THE TIME......I LUV HER STYLE! AND THAT VOICE WOW!!!!

May 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Cathy

What's fat about her, Lloyd? Why do you have to base your comment on her physical appearance, especially when she's tried so hard to lose weight and become healthy, and done an amazing job of it? I don't see that she is overweight at all, and I think she looks amazing.

May 16, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Susan

Hey Lloyds...clearly you are stupid and probably REALLY FAT!!

May 16, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  129. olie

A good place? Well here is a better place...WEIGHT WATCHERS.

May 17, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  130. kim

Dropped 50 lbs with obviously 50 lbs more to go. She gonna look like an ugly ole sack of potoatos with no potatos. Saggy stretch marks everywhere. OMG...Im gonna hurl.

May 17, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  131. jay

Lloyd,

You know Don Lemon came out of the closet yesterday. Is there something you'd like to stand up and tell the class?

May 17, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  132. Cathy

I'm not; I just don't see the point in calling someone something that doesn't even apply to them. For example, if I were to call you intelligent, or kind, those adjectives would certainly not apply. And I can accurately say this because not only have you not met me, but you were insulting in your posting. I have back-up for what I'm saying. For you to just put a one word answer there, without any back-up for anything you say, just throwing out the name calling, I don't understand. Why do you have to act like a moron?

I'm not the only one who doesn't feel that your comment was appropriate; if you're mad, do something about it, but to call someone names is just ridiculous.

May 16, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Choconet

What a an evil hater you are! I bet nothing good ever happens to you because you’re not GOOD!!! Go shove your face in a really hot oven! To the rest of you mean haters, you hate because your miserable, your miserable because you don't do anything good for anyone but yourself! Please go spread your hate somewhere else!

May 17, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  134. SarahLV

Let me guess...another failure of No Child Left Behind?

May 17, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  135. Kelly

Not everyone gets fat on Junk food and Fast food! I didn't get fat on McDonald's..I got fat on eating too much of my delicious home cooking! With that that being said, i take full responsibility for eating too much, and not having enough activity. I have changed that, and as of today have lost 47 pounds since December 2010!! I still eat all my delicious home cooking, but much much less of it!

May 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  136. teepee

That is news? tee hee hee...I don't think so...I could tell that guy had sugar in his tank long ago...

May 17, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Santo

I loved Jill Scott b 4 she lost da weight!!! She's beautiful!!!!!!! Pass her my email address!!!! Lol!!! Tell her request me on Facebook. Santo Gennuso. Thanks.....

May 19, 2011 at 5:06 am | Report abuse |
  138. Santo

@ Kim. Stop Hatin!!! U probably been cheated on a couple of times!!!! That's why u feel bitter towards others doing something positive!!!! Lol!!!

May 19, 2011 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |