After 10 years, 'Smallville' didn't disappoint
May 16th, 2011

After 10 years, 'Smallville' didn't disappoint

Friday night was the two-hour series finale of the CW’s "Smallville,” a show that has pushed the boundaries of the Superman story to its limits. (Such as the creation of new characters that hadn’t shown up in the comics before [Chloe Sullivan] and taking other characters and giving them a bigger role than they ever had in the story as we knew it [Lana Lang].)

Over "Smallville's" decade-long run, it did at times devolve into a teen drama akin to “Dawson’s Creek.” While the finale had moments like that, it was more about saying goodbye to friends and wrapping up stories. Admittedly, some of that was done poorly, like with the Tess storyline.

True to their words, the writers this season brought back all the main characters of the show for one more visit, although the one I did not understand - or maybe it was just poorly executed - was the return of Lex. Outside of one really good line, “Every great villain needs a great hero,” I really saw no reason for him to be back.

The show did have some great nods to the comic book world, from the blatant “Smallville” comic book in the opening and closing scenes to the more subtle one of Lex as president in 2018.

As a fan of both the show and Superman, I had to let out a small cheer as Clark ran to the roof of the Daily Planet, pulled open his shirt and became the Man of Steel as music from the "Superman" movie swelled in the background.

I was hoping for the iconic Christopher Reeve pose with the cape flowing, but I’m 100 percent happy with the way they ended it. It looks like not everyone agrees, though - iReporter Omekongo Dibinga thought it was one of the worst series finales he'd ever seen. What did you think? Weigh in with an iReport or in the comments below.

Post by:
Filed under: television • TV recaps

1. Smallville Jacket

Smallville Jacket
    , I think your current subscribers would probably want more items of smallville

February 28, 2012 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. John

It was an awesome finale!! The sceens fit perfectly in place. With the wedding scene that gave us a preview of what their wedding would be like in the future (7 years later) to Clark becoming the Man of Steele it was a finale I have watched over and over again. 10 years in the making and I never missed an episode....this one was worth it for Smallville fans! WILL SOMEONE PLEASE PUT THE ENTIRE CAST IN A SUPERMAN MOVIE AND STOP WASTING TIME WITH ACTORS WHO'S CHEMISTRY ISN'T PROVEN!!!!!!!!!!!

May 24, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Frank

Most of the time, the show was anticlimactic. That is a direct result of poorly written episodes. The finale was a microcosm of Smallville's successes AND flaws. Unfortunately, die hards are die hard for a reason & lose objectivity in making fair assessments. It's why they'll attack the critic, instead of the criticism. Predictable. Smallville was pretty good & did well enough to be on for a decade. But a great show? No. It disappointed too many times after building toward climaxes that just fell flat.

May 22, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sally from England

What I have read has left me quite bewildered. So many negative remarks and so many criticisms from people who, I doubt, would have anywhere near the talent to contribute to an advertisement for handwash, never mind a 45 minute programme which has run successfully for 10 years! Many of these criticisms were of the WRITERS! – by people who appear to find difficulty in stringing together even a couple of words without a serious spelling mistake or appalling lack of grammar. I have watched the whole 10 series twice through in he last 6 months and have grown to love the characters as they themselves have grown in character and maturity. The writing has for the most part been excellent, delightfully amusing at times and so very sad at others but always uplifting in its message that one should believe that there is good in everyone. So refreshing amongst the plethora of depressing and demoralizing rubbish which is churned out for the most part in this country, too. Huge congratulations to a talented team of writers, actors, directors and all those others who have worked such long hours and so hard to produce some quality entertainment.

May 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mr.Long

Also Clark has all these super hero friends if they wanted to make the final more interesting they should have had appearances by the Justice League heroes who have been on the previous episodes.

May 20, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mr. Long

ok I agree he never wore the suit and yes the show was about the suit because clark grows to become superman also the final was borring because they took to much time with all the muchie stuff where was the action.i wanted to see clark put the super suit on and have a great battle with Darkside or Lex Luthor there was none of that .This was smallville the love story plain and simple.

May 20, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. dave

i just don't get it when i saw some negative reviews about smallville. As far as i am concerned it was the best possible finale we can hope for and i loved every bit of the series from the first to the last. it was a series that actually took you on a journey as it went on. All i want to say is i take my hat off in honour to everyone who has made the the program possible. I only hope we now get clark kent again as the man of steel and most of the cast in a new series.. super man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks again!

May 19, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. daniel davies

I have watched every season of smallville and have always woundered when Clark Kent would finally become the man of steel. I've waited in suspense for years waiting for him to finally fly with his cape and let me tell you i was not dissapointed when he finally took to the sky. I was actually on the edge of my chair as i watched him fly out of his fortress as changed into his actual costume of superman i was a epic show and would love them to carry on the program and he carries on through life it was a amazing way to end the story of clark and begin the one of superman.

May 18, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. e

did any1 notice the inside of the plane was tiny , like a jet and the outside was a 747.that made me laugh. deadly show. went slowly downhill since lex left tho

May 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. r8r

I wonder if they really sell the Kent farm?

I hope they do some more superhero series now. Smallville has proven that it can work, so how about a Justice League or Justice Society series?

May 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. fred

Finale was a mixed bag for me, I thought Darkseid was defeated too easily just wasn't enough. Lex seemed like an after thought except for his 1 great line. Thought they tied up most characters well. It was really great to see Clark Finally fly on his own, not under red kryptonite influence. Was happy with the suit elements has been said from the beginning there would be no tights. Hate to see the show end but all in all a good finale.

May 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ross

I enjoyed it. I've been watching this show for nearly half my life (I am 21 now) and I loved it. No, I'm not some obsessive DC fan like most of the people who hated it are, but I enjoyed the show and loved it for what it was, an incredible TV show. They developed and cared for the characters as if they were their own and I could not have asked for a better send off of THOSE characters.

To be honest I'm glad they didn't show Clark in the suit, I mean we've seen him as we have for ten years, if I saw him in the suit (which let's be honest is incredibly camp) I probably would have laughed and it would have spoilt the show a little for whenever I look back on it. Sure that's not an opinion I know most share, but it's mine and I will always be thankful for this show.

The ONE thing I did not like about this finale was the killing of Tess, I kinda liked her.

May 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Larry

One of the smartest written shows on TV. Superb acting, directing, and producing. The finale delivered what I expected. Only one disappointment...the killing off of Tess. I kind of liked her around. This show will be missed. And, yes I'm old enough to remember watching the original Superman tv series and Lois and Clark. Kudos to the creators and a special nod to Tom Welling. Atta-Boy Clark!

May 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tina

I Loved the finale. It was a great ending to the show. I thought it was great that they brought all the past characters back this season... Loved the last scene.

May 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chris Workman

I'm personally sick of hearing how this show was about Clark Kent's journey, not Superman. Actually, it was about Clark Kent BECOMING Superman, and for that, we needed some real shots of Clark Kent AS Superman in the finale. And I'm also sick of hearing how anyone who is disappointed with this terrible send-off isn't a true fan of the series. I've never missed an episode since day one; even when traveling overseas, I found a way to see each and every new episode! I love most episodes and hate only a few, but this is one of those few. Apart from not actually seeing Clark as Superman (other than some terrible CGI apparently culled mostly from SUPERMAN RETURNS), it was terrible written. The dialogue was little more than what you'd hear on ONE TREE HILL, not at all up to par. The truth is, the whole last half of the last season was terrible, all filler episodes (except for "Kent," which was terrific) that led nowhere. They should have been taking Clark closer to being Superman, but instead he waffled right up until the last 20 minutes of the show. That's a sad conclusion to an otherwise great television series.

May 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Danny

You have to have Lex in the finale. Lex is Clark's rival. The two have to exist like Lex said. Obviously, you don't understand the concept.

May 18, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  17. matt

i completely loved it, in fact i felt it better than the last 3 Superman movies,....and it had the significant moment we had all waited for for years,...its shame simply because warner bros didnt wait to cast the only person that can realy be Superman now..especially for this generation Tom Welling, i wish him well for the future and wish to thank the producers and writers for such great show,....probably the best show since the 60s Star Trek, i can only hope that maybe at some point there will be spin off movie even at low budget,..i also wish the makers of the new Superman movie good luck, but alas i fear the same will happen as it did with returns, reason being is there still holding on the the apron strings of past movie themes..i.e..Zod and mythos from yesteryear, they need to reinvent, because theres big boots to fill after Tom Welling for 10 years, and unless they re invent its never going to work..."ever", i wish them well but i just feel in my gut that this Superman project with cavill is dead in the water,.....Smallville however nailed it in every way, and certainly left the door open for a number of different storys,..and all in all it was awsome"...brillient in factt

May 18, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  18. Jan

Was hoping and glad they brought Lex back, would not have been right for him to not be in the finale. Wanted to see a better view of "Clark" in the superman outfit, after all these years it tickled me to finally get to see him put it on. They could have at least given us one good full length shot of him in it, darn them! Was a great series, Tom and the Lex actor did great all those years, they were my favorites as were the dad and mom, Lana Lang and even Lionel Luther. I never liked or understood the point of Chole, all those years and her character to me should not have been on the show, she never fit. Will miss the boys, sad it has come to and end, but happy we had it all the years we did, great job!

May 18, 2011 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  19. mattt

i think the actor who played darksied also played rasalom in 'the keep" back in the eighties

May 18, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  20. OH F***!

Ya know it's kinda funny how people down a movie or tv show and act like they know what should have happened or how they think it should have been written. Id like to seen those people try to make a show that's lasted 10 years.

May 18, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  21. mlue

I thought the finale was great. I've never seen Dawson's creek so not sure about comments related to that but I liked how Smallville developed the characters over the years. After 200+ hours of getting to know these characters, I seriously doubt I'll like the upcoming Man of Steel movie and their new interpretations on the characters.

I liked the sort of wedding and Lois/Clark wrap up. I liked how they dealt with each of their reservations, the vows they came up with and I thought they shot the wedding beautifully. I was afraid we'd end up with a Lois memory wipe so that it would fit into the Superman movies of the 70's where Lois didn't know who Clark was initially. I think the way the ended up fit the show.

I was thrilled to see all the characters back for one last time and especially Lex. I always thought seeing Lex's journey to who he becomes was a huge part of the show. I get the comments that they didn't do much with Lex but I thought the scene with Clark & Lex was a great wrap-up to their storyline and I think Lex not being that significant was actually the right answer. The finale was intended to leave us with the beginning of the Superman story and Lex is the nemesis in that story so I don't think the finale should have been about a battle between Clark & Lex.

As to the suit....I don't like the Superman suit so I have never cared that they didn't show him in the suit and was not anxiously awaiting him in the suit. Perhaps it will get an overhaul for the next movie (not sure if DC will allow that) but the suit just looks outdated and cheesy. The leather jacket in Smallville was definately a better look. Thank God for the "no tights" rule for all these years! So for me I liked how they ended it that we know he became Superman but I wasn't left with the cheesy Superman image....the image from a distance was enough for me!

May 18, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  22. Vince

The finale was terrific but they could have easily made it into a 3 or four hour finish.
    The storylines were too short. I was awaiting the return of Lex all season but it was way too short and packed no action whatsoever.
    The death of Tess, whose character I enjoyed the past few seasons lasted about a minute which was about a minute longer than her entire screen time in the finale.
    And the biggest disappointment was the destruction of Apocolypse and Darkside (Darkseid) which lasted about 30 seconds.
    If you weigh the pros and cons the pros definitely reign supreme, but I feel that certain characters should have had way more screen time

May 17, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Rick

I didn't watch the first two seasons because I thought it would be stupid. I got hooked after giving it a chance. I'm not sure why anyone bashes this show. Sure, there was fluff filler shows at times, but overall it was better than other shows on tv. Apparently something was right to go this many seasons. In the age of vampires, zombies and one stupid reality show after another, this was a series that stood out from the crowd and provided us with something decent to watch. I only hope the rumored spinoffs of the green arrow or justice league actually happen. We need more heroes, not more "darkness".

May 17, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  24. MilkmanPete

I have to say was very disapointed. The show needed more action. I always watched because a big Superman fan. But the finale was like rest of episodes, no action. And you never saw him wear the suit. The full body shots were way off in distance and generated. Sorry to see show go but could have done more action and less love. Maybe it would still be going on.. Hope to see a spin off with Tom and Erica playing their parts.

May 17, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. TheKing1085

I wanted three things to happen in the finale. I wanted Michael R. back as Lex. I wanted Clark to don the suit. And I wanted to see him fly. It was all there...and the "Superman" theme song to boot. It was perfect. This has been the only series I have been caught up in from the beginning to the end. And I am not disappointed at all with how the show ended. I'm just sadened that it had to end. I thought it was great how the acters and actresses were able to get into the directing and producing of the show and I hope we see more from them. I think its also great when I recognize their voices in the Justice League cartoons I buy for my son. This has been a great TV experience my whole family has enjoyed. Thanks Smallville!

May 17, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ryan

Been a fan since the 1st episode. Heck, I've been with Smallville longer than my wife. LOL. It was a great filnale. Wished for a little more action. Enjoyed the final conversation between Clark and Lex. Tom Welling running across the roof and opening his shirt to expose the Big "S" was fantastic with the Superman theme playing in the background. Would have loved to have seen him fly towards the camera and do the smile and wave like the Christopher Reeve movies did. That would have been the best way to end it.

May 17, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. jimvsmij

I loved the 2 hour last episode but I do not know how Clark could have pushed an entire planet out of the way from striking earth. First of all he intercepted the planet when it was starting to push into Earths atmosphere. That means with within a few miles distance he has to gently slow down the falling planet to a stop and reverse the direction. If you stopped it too fast it would fall apart and rain down planet parts onto our planet. I really don't think that he could have slowed the planet down in that short distance and stopped it without having the planet break into pieces even if he started slowing it down from the distance of the moon. Second, lets say that he did what was depicted in the show and saved the day by pushing the planet away. The Earth is just as attracted to the other planet as the planet is attracted to Earth. Ss the planet headed toward earth, earth must have started heading towards the planet. When Clark moved the planet away then earth would have continued followed the other planet. This would have de-stablized earth's path around the sun to where earth will either be flung out of the solar system or it would fall inward. Clark would then have to push earth back but without exact equipment to find exact positioning in 3 dimensional space it would have been guesswork at best. The final thing was that the planet coming towards earth obviously had a moltant core as magma could be seen on it's surface. So that means that the planet was liquid almost to the surface. So if you try pushing on it with enough force to move it with only the surface area that 2 of Clark's hands make and what will happen is that he will plunge right through the planet's thin surface. It would be like trying to push a giant, heavy, water balloon across the table using only a needle. Impossible.

May 17, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Smallville Fan

I loved the finale. I took it for what it was worth: a TV show. I can appreciate the viewers that were expecting or hoping for more, particularly the ones focused on the superficial, non-important issues such as why Darkseid was so easily defeated, or why Lex's role was written as it was, or why Tess was killed, or why they didn't get a full head-to-toe shot of Clark in the suit. But please remember that the writers and producers (as in all shows) have myriad obstacles to writing shows. At some point during each script, including that of the finale, are meddling advertising reps, network (CW) reps, DC Comics reps, and studio (WB) reps that will be producing the next movie. Also, Smallville's budget is hardly what it was during its initial years when they had twice the viewership. (Did anyone notice that they stopped regularly playing emerging artist music so regularly? It costs too much; I don't think they'd get Coldplay again.) Given the same set of limitations, I really doubt the absolute vast majority of the harsh critics could have done any better – and that's putting it nicely and conservatively. It was a great family show that was focused on tales of morality starring a guy who seems to enjoy the normalcy of a private life. He's a good guy who plays a good guy. It's a shame there aren't more shows like it or guys and gals like him.

May 17, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  29. JaySin420

I thought it was incredible and whoever called that the worst finale ever obviously never watched Lost.

May 17, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Brian W

For those defending the show as being about Clark Kent and not Superman, you're not completely right – it was about all the factors that went into him ultimately becoming Superman.

Let me say that again and expand – ultimately, the show was about all of the contributing factors that made Clark Kent become Superman. What that means is, when that journey/transition is over, he is then Superman. Therefore, when you're doing the series finale, the journey is complete, and therefore we should then get to see him as Superman – that was the promise of the fulfillment of the journey, and we didn't get it.

This is criticism from someone who also watched the show from Episode 1, and suffered through major plot oversights ("Let me get this straight; you never expressed an interest in journalism in high school, never got a degree for it in college – in fact, you never even *went* to college – and you want a job with a major, Metropolitan newspaper? You're hired!") as well as high points (the inclusion of other hero characters that have had little exposure outside the comics/cartoons, for example, in what seemed like an under-the-radar response to Marvel's shared universe approach for its characters' movies), and all the levels in-between.

I'm glad people found satisfaction in this series finale for the journey they were on with it, but not all of us were so satisfied.

May 17, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

I completely agree with both this statement and your previous one. They spent 10 years with transitions. If they wanted to do more of them and more loose-knot-tying they could have done it with one or more of the many filler episodes in this season. The last two hours, or at least one or even a half hour, out of the 218 of them should have been about his transformation and its aftermath. His character deserved it after all he went through to become Superman, and Darkseid's character needed more time, considering he is one of DC's most powerful villains ever. I would hazard a guess that nearly every fan on here wanted to see this also, and next to NOBODY would say that had it been on there, they would have been disappointed.

May 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Hector

The Finañe's first part was prefect to me.

The Clark and Lois door scene, the failed wedding, Martha an Jonathan supporting Clark, Chloe's eagle vision.... It was really great. I mean it: Perfect.

The second part did dissapoint me. I understand Lex could attend just one day for the filmimg so there weren'tas many important scenes as many would have wanted. But I don't understand why the Clark and Darkseid fight was so extremely short (one punch and it was done). It could've had a little more fighting and the Omega rays and dificulties before that final punch, with a final view of the real Darkside exploding... but no, it was even easier than with Doomsday.

Also, I would have enjoyed seeing Clark in the suit pushing the CGI Apokolips. After all, Clark was to become Superman, and Superman wears The Superman Suit and gives extraordinary moments.... but no, I didn't see anything of that.

And the producers said Clark would receive super help, too. John Jonn'z and Hawkman would have added a lot of action to Green Arrow's fight without taking Clark's moment off (why not to resurrect Hawkman if they did it with Chloe, Clark and even Lex?). Or Black Canary instead of Hawkman. But no... it was so easy for the all alone Green Arrow to defeat the three Darkseid minnios.

Maybe I had too high expectations about the final moments and that's why I feel this way.

May 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Antbuzz

Smallville you will be sadly missed.10 years of my life gone :( Hopefuly there will be a few spin off's from the show. May be Superman 2018 and Tom Welling back playing the man of steal. We wait for more DC madness.....

May 17, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. deblaze

"Although the show’s creators boldly said “no flying and no tights,” we saw those rules broken in the finale in a way that should make fans of both the show and Superman’s original tale satisfied with Clark Kent becoming the Man of Steel."

are you kidding me?!

May 17, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Richie

If there was ever going to be a spin off then i vote the justice league and u can have the hero's from smallville as the main characters, even have a tom welling/superman cameo, it was a shame the lana wasnt available for the finale it would of been better, and prob an explaination on how darksied & minons we're defeted so easily. the ending was brillant, finishes the story of clark kent and moves on to the superman and gets everyone asking ....so whats next, and all those who didnt get the lex story line, lets think, the chapter between lex/clark needed to end so lex's obsession with superman can grow

May 17, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  35. Alex

I was a freshman in high school when this show started thus making me the same age as the characters. I've stuck with it through the good and the horrendously bad. In the end, you can't be nit picky about every little detail of the show. It was an interpretation of the superman mythos and a damn good one at that. I'm glad they didn't show a "real" full body shot of Clark in the suit. People bash Smallville up and down....if you didn't like it....why continue to watch it? Congrats to the cast and crew for 10 awesome years. It will def be missed.

May 17, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  36. dave nelson

When the show came out, i had a girlfriend that was obsessed with it. Even named the new dog lana. I could never get into the show, but never gave her grief about it. I simply read a book, played a movie or video game on another tv, or spent time on the web. My current girlfriend loathes teen soaps as much as i do, so we spend more time as a couple, and our relationship is all the better for it. Goodbye, smallville, glad you had the grace to go away. Other shows would hate hung around longer. Becoming pitiful.

May 17, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jen

Cool show I'll miss it

May 17, 2011 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  38. Smallville Fan 5000

I've been watching this show my entire adult life it seems. Sometimes every week, often catching up via the DVDs, so my expectations were pretty high. They didn't disappoint. It was very Smallville, with great nods to the entire Superman franchise as a whole, with a perfect ending. The story keeps going in the same vein it has been, you feel, without a sappy ending.

May 17, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  39. Mike

I loved Smallville. Yes, I was disappointed with many of the episodes and Clark's arrogance and stupidity at times, but I still loved the show. I'm a little sad, bo actually I am very sad that the show ended. What now?

Can we please get the show to continue! Continue as SUPERMAN! Have episodes spanning over two etc. Anything. Movies take forever and then we only get one every 5 years if we are lucky.

Superman has been my superhero since I can remember. Even as a little kid when I got nightmares, I would try to change my dreams and put superman in there or be superman myself. Crazy, I know.

Anyways, thank you for Smallville, a big thanks to all the characters.

May 17, 2011 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  40. Damian

Absolutely fanastic show and the finale was absolutely perfect. I loved every minute of the show and I was not disappointed with the ending at all. I just wish the show could have gone on for longer.

May 17, 2011 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  41. JoeyATL

My main gripe, other than the crappy CGI flight shots, was that once again, they took a powerful DC Comics villian and punked him out in the end, getting defeated way too easy. Darkseid is the most powerful villain in the DC Universe. And they did it with Brainiac and Doomday as well. Just made them too easy to beat. Could have been a monumental fight at the end. If you don't believe me, then watch it done right in the 2 part series finale of Justice League Unlimited, with Superman, Darkseid and Lex going at it.

May 17, 2011 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  42. Kirti

Its like an end of an era. I have been following this show very closely for the past 10 years. After Season 6 or so, the show started dragging and became boring. Great to know that it ended well.

You guys must checkout http://www.delhiplanet.com. Its a media Company inspired by Superman and the Daily Planet. They are going to be reviewing the Finale soon on their sister site http://www.globalmasala.com

Also, I guess Tom Welling will make a good Superman

May 17, 2011 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  43. S-Man

The final did have a lot of moments that I really did like. The fact that J. Kent was the one that handed Clark the suit was AWESOME!. Then the big leap from out of the fortress as he put on the suit just was so exciting. Then the high was gone when we only seen far shots of Clark in the suit and close-ups of Claks shoulders and a cgi cape. And how they end it? Clark pushes the planet away(which you don't even see) and that's it?! If they were going to do that, then they just should have had the BOOM TUBES like in the dc comics where the people from Apoclaypse traveld. They could have somehow used that to tellaport the planet back to it's own place of origin. So many better ways to have done this. As for the people that just say the show was about Clark, well after 10 years I think it was about time for him to get the suit, (which they have been hinting about for sometime with picture reflections and what not) or he would have been a senior citizen and too old to pull offf the suit. The final episode could have been way better.

May 16, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Calvin Fifi

you guy should start a new series called superman, with all the same characters but a new journey in meeting more of the comic superheros like batman shazam green lantern etc it would be a hit of some sort

May 16, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reidy_88

Loving this idea but in all honesty i don't think fans would be as faithful. You would need to have all the cast that we have followed for so many years in order to make it a hit. Im disappointed that Smallville is over with but i do believe that this was the right time.

May 17, 2011 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
  45. john altobelli

Superman is the only real super hero around.
    Let's not lose him. Please bring him back. Let's see how he uses his confirmed status.
    We all need someone to belive in and he is the real deal.

May 16, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Redbird

Smallville's ending was adequate as far as I'm concern. It was by no means bad, but it was very underwhelming.

The entire series teased the audience with hints and winks of Clark going from farm boy to Man of Steel. This entire season meanwhile was meant to be the ultimate of adventures for Clark. Confronting a God for the fate of humanity. This was supposed to be epic. But it wasn't. His fight against Zod, Bizzaro, Brainiac and even Lex felt more epic than this episode.

They never felt like they lived up to what they promised for the season or the series. The villains were all defeated with insulting ease. Green Arrow's blew up the three prophets in seconds. The primary evil, Darksied never even properly confronted Clark. Instead of seeing an epic fight with a fully manifested Darksied, it was "one punch" (JLI fans will get the reference) against an elderly corpse who seemed like he could barely move.

And I know that in the comics Superman has moved an entire planet before, but in this show... I'm sorry but seeing an entire planet moved by Clark, and not even getting to see him do it, but instead see a CGI model from a great distance... I felt very disappointed.

And the fact we never got a good image of Clark as Superman... It just kinda asked the question: what's was the point? If they never wanted to show Tom Wellings in costume, then why give him the costume on screen? Why tease us with it all season? Why not just have him defeat the bad guy as Clark, and then at the end the episode they can end it with the Shirt rip. Why show him become Superman, but not show him AS Superman?

Big build-up, little pay off. Again, it wasn't a bad episode, but it was disappointing.

May 16, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Chad Storm

I don't understand how the finale is receiving any negative reviews. I get that you cannot please everybody, but a lot of people forget that this show was never a "Superman" show in the tradtional sense, it was about Clark Kent discovering who he was to become and it toolk for him to get there. When the show first started, IMO it made sense that he didn't want that resposibility. It took him a little time to come to terms that he was from another planet.

In any series, there is always going to be a few episodes that are painful to watch, but its forgivable when the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I am admittingly a Superman geek. ABC's Lois and Clark, didn't capture my attention as much as this show has. Everything was perfect. The first season is the introduction. In this case, Clark discoveries he's an alien from God knows where that can do extrordinary things. His earth parents do whatever it takes to protect him so that nobody discovers what he can do in fear of being taken away. We meet the secondary charaters. Lex, Lana, Pete, Chloe Lionel, and the antagonist, Whitney Fordman. Each week we met another meteor rock (later to learn that it's Krptonite) infected "freak-of-the-week" that Clark (boy Superman-in-training) foils.

Second season, a storyline developes. Clark learns of a prophecy in the Kawatche Caves and learns that he will have an ultimate oppenent. Clark still doesn't want to believe it, but he ultimately knows it's true. His best friend, Pete, learns his secret. Clark has the secret language on the cave walls "downloaded" into him and he learns where he is ultimately from.

And the story just gets deeper from there. As each season progressed, Clark's trials became more difficult. He tried to run from them but he ultimately came back to face them. He learned that he wasn't the only hero and there were others like him but Clark was the one who took the leadership. By the ninth season, it was very clear that Clark was nearing the end of his trials, adopting his family's "S" crest (aka the House of El), teaching and guiding that even your enemies must be given a chance to redeem themselves.

By the finale, everything that had cultivated for these past 10 seasons pushed Clark to step into the light as Earth's greatest protector. Superman was coming, but not until the very end when Jor-El, and Jonathan Kent told him he was ready. The episode was tastefully done. Could the fight scenes been a little longer? Sure. But given that everybody was waiting to see Clark FINALLY take flight it was so worth it. The scene where Jonathan handed Clark the suit was absolutely touching. It was fitting and when Clark leapt into the air and the suit appeared on him, that scene gave me chills. All of the doubt that Clark ever had about himself finally subsided. He owned his destiny.

And yes, that last scene when he told Lois, "Tell the minister I'm going to be late." Was awesome! With the John Williams Superman theme swelling in the background Clark taking to the Daily Planet roof and and ripping open his shirt to reveal the famous "S", ten years of weekly adventures, ten years of Smallville, finally said without words, "Superman Begins"!

May 16, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Stuart Green

I wrote my own review of the series finale. I love "Smallville", but this just disappointed me on so many levels. Read why, if you want, here:

May 16, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Great show

It was the perfect episode to end the series. It was a little past due but I think most of us got to see everything that we wanted. The best part is that this finale made me feel like a child again seeing Superman on the big screen for the first time in the late 70s. I think Christopher Reeve would have been proud.

May 16, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  50. JIMBO

and a nekked Lana Lang

May 16, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Charles

Okay, but.

Introducing Characters into the Mythos isn't new. Jimmy Olson came from the Radio Show in 1940.

Lana Lang has always been a major character, she was the love interest in Superboy, and Smallville was Superboy in all but name and flight and tights. Heck in Superboy Lex and Clark/Superboy were even friends.

Smallville kept Superman on tv, while never quite being Superman. I hope in the rebooted Movie we see an enthusiastic hero again.

May 16, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  52. danny

Your dad.....come on now admit your a dawson creek fan....especially katie holmes!

May 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  53. JIMBO

Small minded intollerant people like TIna MIms are the reason it only lasted 10 seasons and not 15 or even 20. Lana Lane made the show great. I agree with the poster above. It was called Smallville. NOT SUPERMAN.

May 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  54. little ted

HIs mom told me his real name is Tori and not Tom. We live just down the road from her.

May 16, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  55. little ted

Matt is 100 percent corrent. is comments are the most accuratye on this blog. Plus it would have been nice to see the girls nekked. The show was called Smallville. Not Superman. Lana, Lois , and Khloe were big parts of the show. It was called Smallville. Not the Tori Welling show. Plius Tori is a girls name he stole from Tori Spelling.

May 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kal-el 26

Yes it was about Clark's journey and not Superman but if I rember correctly it was about his journey to becoming Superman the Mna of Steel and they did'nt even bother to offical mane him and they had an amazing oppurtunity to the point where I thought they were about to say it and was left hanging . I get over the CGI but I get over the mistakes they made that showed what lack of respect and consideration for the fan's who have stuck by it for 10 years, while others left it so no it's not ok and was it satisfiying Yes but it disappointed it's most loyal fans.

May 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Dr. Loomis

"After 10 years of "Smallville," we finally got to see the suit on Clark Kent and it did not disappoint."

We didn't get to see the suit on him, and it did disappoint. All we saw was him holding the suit. Close up shots of him with a CGI flowing cape. Distant shots of what look like CGI from Superman Returns with a different cape and boots, and a "t-shirt" rip in the end. He didn't even wear the suit. Thanks CW. Way to bring it.

May 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark a

the show was never about the suit.. get over it.. it was handled perfectly...they actually showed a lot more than I expected..... you want to watch superman.. grab the movies.....

May 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  57. JonesAJ

Over the last ten year or so I have watched this show from a distance. I never really tuned in to watch it, I would watch it if it was on. Some of the episodes were good, some were really rather good whilst the majority of the episodes (I saw) where just plain awful. I actually tuned in for the finale – the first time this season – and found the whol 84 minutes to be a rather excellent piece of TV. Sure there was a number of odd things there (The Tess and Lex story line) but I loved the way it slowly morphed in to the Superman that we all love and know. It ended in the correct way, with Clark becoming Superman. Its just s shame it didn't have Marlon Brando's speach about humans and their capacity for good, it would have ended the series perfectly.

As a side note. I think that WB isn't going to let the series die. It will come back in another form (film, should the Snyder one fail) or this Clark will be part of the Justice League

May 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Kal-el 26

It was satisfying, but at the same time disappointing with it's horrible mistakes and waste of time on a point less wedding and a comic book distributed by DC Comics that revealed Superman's idenity as Clark Kent and even town Smallville as it was named on the cover with big, bold,red letters and also named Lex Luthor the Metropolis billionaire associated with him and Lois lane the famous Daily Planet as a perfect target to attack because she is Superman's girlfriend. Not to mention the CGI Superman and the resemblence to the Superman Returns movie what amazing job the writers, and directors did, congrats and No worries on those small "mistakes" it was only the Series Finale for a 10 year running show with a iconic Superhero with a strong fan base of us the over critcal geeks who are insulted with such little "mistakes" so I apoligize in advance and Thank you I think you get my point it was good but disappointing.

May 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Kari

I thought the finale was great I mean sure the fight scene could have been a little longer and there was a couple of scenes that I could have lived without But Smallville was always Clark Kent's story not Superman's.

May 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stu (England)

Well said Kari, well said :) I really enjoyed the Finale as well, was a great ending for an amazing series

May 21, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  60. Matt

Smallive sucks ever since Lana (Kristin Kreuk) left the show. Clark and Lana are the heart and soul of Smallville. Erica durance (Lois) is just an old-hag who injects botox on her face to get rid of her laugh lines to the point her whole face is still and she can't emote. She's a liar who had breast implants and plastic surgery on her nose. She tries to deny it and says she's "always been a B cup"....yeah right. Howard Stern called you out and you cried on his show...loL! In your film extra House of horrors or whatever she was flat as a board. That's a b cup.

May 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stu (England)

Do you not know the Superman story at all Matt? Lana Lang was Clarks first love, and he ended up with Lois Lane. Lana left because Kristin Kreuk wanted to do other things, firstly the Street Fighter film, and I'm sure she has other plans. But because Lana had the absorbing Kryptonite suit on that absorbed the Kryptonite bomb she couldnt come back, as she would have hurt Ckark and would have stopped him saving the world because he would have been weakend by the Kryptonite. Lois Lane was always goin to end up with Clark, we all knew that.

May 21, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  61. M. BigCed Bethely

Unless you really appreciate Smallville and watchd it from beginning to end. You really can't appreciate the two hour finale. Smallville started off 10 years ago with over 8 million viewers. Now it's down to two million. From the pilot to Finale I was there for every single episode and every single week. It became more than just a show for me personally. Sure I could criticize it. But why. When you write 218 episodes of anything its not going to always be great. In factthe fact that it was extremely entertaining for 10 years surprises me as Lois and Clark lasted about half that time. Of course it was Dawson's creek on steroids but that was what was so much fun. For those of you who hated the show it's okay we don't want you to like it. We want you to stay away. It's "Our" show. Yes there were times it was hella "gay" and down right silly. But thats the campyness of a superhero show and the first 4 superman movies. I thought the FINALE was the best episode ever. I could make cases for Checkmate, Crusade, Reckoning, Hidden and several other episodes, but I will always remember this final episode. I was amazing to me.

May 16, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Truthwillsetyoufree

I really hope that Tom Welling gets used from now on for Superman. I think he is the character perfectly. The last superman movie was bad bad.. I hope we see a new series, Metropolis or a full blown Justice League.

May 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  63. @N

show sucks!!

May 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Lie To Me

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi33qezO6Y&w=640&h=390]

May 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Matt

DC I'm sure put a lot of restrictions of 'full-body/costume' shots with the upcoming movie in the works. Overall on a TV budget, I thought they did a great job. A few uneeded/awkward scenes but overall a great sendoff.

May 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  66. CM

I thoroughly enjoyed the finale. Oh sure, it could have had more and been better, but then it also could have been a lot worse. I loved the idea of going into the future and Chloe reading the story to her son. I loved how they brought some of the characters from the past back, and didn't forget their stories – Lex becoming the pres. And what about Jimmy's younger brother showing up. I think all of us devout followers knew back when Jimmy died that at some point his younger brother would show up taking his place at the Daily Planet.

May 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Shannon Nutt

It was the perfect episode to end SMALLVILLE with, as it capsulated everything the show has been over 10 seasons – i.e., a mixed bag. Some of the stuff was great (the wedding, every single scene with John Schnieder) and some of it was bad (wasting the return of Michael Rosenbaum, "offing" Darkseid far too easily). That said, SMALLVILLE was probably the BEST Superman we've seen on-screen since the original two Christopher Reeve films of the late 70s/early 80s. So give it credit for that.

May 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Tina Mims-Jiggetts

I'm not sure if I have the right site. The question was about Smallville correct. I'm not sure where all these naked girl stuff comes from, but for those who were true dedicated Smallville fans, it was no a disappointment. They did a great job.

May 16, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • filmguy

I've watched Smallville from day one and you can't tell someone that they are not a true fan if they didn't like the finale. I guess it comes down to personal taste but the writing was pretty atrocious. Some people are just satisfied to see him flying and in the suite at the end but the episode needed to be more than just that. It need to be the culmination of ten years worth of story telling and build up. The problem is that the writing in the later seasons has become so inconsistent and sloppy that it was just too big of a mess to clean up. And anyone who thinks that what they did to Lex served his arc or his journey through the course of the show is in denial.

May 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stu (England)

I agree with you Tina, the seris finale was epic, couldn't have been better. I was blown away after the finale and took me a few mins to believe that we had just seen Superman. Yeah would have been great to see My Wellling in the suit, but as people have said above it was a show about Clark becoming Superman and not Superman. We did get to see the clumbsy Clark we all now and love in the final series and get to see Superman. So for me it was the best series finale ever, and i will miss Smallville.

May 21, 2011 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  69. filmguy

Didn't disappoint? I beg to differ. What makes it hard not to fault the finale is that it had so much terrible writing leading up to it that it was hard to clear up the mess. True expectations were high and it would be hard for the show to live up to it but it almost feels like it didn't try. We didn't need a huge cinematic showdown or Clark in the suite for it to be good. Theater doesn't have the resources for any of these things and yet it can still be powerful just based on it's story alone. Just some of the most inconsistent and sloppy writing I've ever seen. It felt so ill prepared and slapped together. The way they left things off with Lex was just ridiculous too. What a way to make seven years worth of his journey feel totally pointless crappy writers.

May 16, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  70. #1Fan

Smallville delivered and I am satisfied with every episode. As far as the finale is concerned, it was a fitting end to a long journey for Clark Kent and start of his Superman Adventures! I sure hope these same producers can give us their version of Superman. Whether in a movie or a series! Well done guys!

May 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  71. SmallvilleFanatic

meant nekked but you knowed that

May 16, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  72. SmallvilleFanatic

It was pretty good. Just disappointed in the lack of bekked girls though.

May 16, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Leroy McMath

Never saw the show, should I start from the beginning and give it a go?

May 16, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • gekaap

I'd say it's worth giving it a look. The first season is the most boring. Horribly episodic and largely predictable. But it ends up providing some important background for the future seasons. You can check out the entire series online at http://www.watchsmallville.com

May 16, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stu (England)

I agree, i think you should watch the other seasons. I was hooked on the series since the begining. I think Mr Welling played the role with perfection. Started off as a confused boy with powers and turned into the greatest hero we will ever know. The series had some great moments, and the finale was defentely one of them. I may live in the UK, but am a massive fan of Superman and Smallville has gave me an entertaining 10 years, and the show will be missed. But it did end the best way possible :) Iv got the seasons 1-8 on dvd, will get season 9 soon and season 10 in Oct when its out in the UK.

May 21, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  74. PJ

Okay, I have read the comments and I agree with some. The writers/producers on the show DID say before this finale aired that some fans will be happy with it and some will be disappointed. Now having read that article I knew as a fan they were going to give a little, but NOT give a lot either. Listen this show was about a boy from Smallville who does become Superman. So I can understand why we did not see Tom Welling in a full suit, the show is about Clark! not Superman. Yes! he becomes the Man Of Steel, but its about Clarks journey to get him there. Yes, of course as a fan I wanted more, but I remember I watched a show about a young Farm Boy who become the greatest hero the world has ever seen, because of his experience in SMALLVILLE!

May 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Brian W

"...we finally got to see the suit on Clark Kent and it did not disappoint..."

I'm sorry, what show were you watching? We either saw him (or more likely, a computer-generated version of him) from at least 200 feet away, or in an extreme close-up of his head and shoulders (with an apparently computer-generated cape flapping-in every now & then) – this is NOT what we wanted to see!! We wanted to see him, close-up head-to-toe in the whole kit & kaboodle, and leaping into the great unknown, and we didn't get it. Nor did we get a satisfying resolution to the "Big Threat" of Darkseid and his planet Apokolips coming to collide with Earth – instead, we get zombie-Lionel Luthor (and not even the real one, but one from a parallel world), and "The Big Push" shown from the perspective of those on the ground.

It was beyond a let-down where we wanted to see Clark in the S-Suit for maybe the final half-hour, with 20 minutes of that spent in a knock-down, drag-out, bare-knuckled, no-holds-barred smack-down of super-beings between him & Darkseid, and what we ended up with was...talking...lots and lots of talking...and more talking...and then a big push...all of which was told in flashback, so there was only one possible way it could've ended (since it would've made for a lousy bedtime story if the good guys had lost).

Sadly, it followed the trend of the last few seasons, namely, spend all season building-up to something fantastic, and then have the main issue be resolved in 10 seconds or less, then kill a supporting character completely out of nowhere for an attempt at shock value.

Maybe the next time we get a long-lasting series of a major comics character, we'll also get the full super-hero treatment for those points where it's sorely needed, which was very much lacking this time around (despite all of the show's charm and appeal otherwise).

May 16, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Whole heartedly agree, Brian. Word for word.

It wasn't a surprise, even though it was still predictably weak Smallville anti-climaxes. 10 years. Seriously, 10 long years and the writers of the show couldn't give us an hour of Superman?? Heck...even a half an hour?!

"It wasn't about Superman" they'll say. "It was about Clark's journey" they'll continue to argue...as if we don't know that. As if we didn't have 10 full seasons of "Clark's story." This was supposed to be the BIG PAYOFF. It was supposed to show the world that he was Superman...the greatest superhero the world has ever known. Did anyone really get that from the glimpses of Superman??

The fight with Darkseid was literally non existant. A fraction of a second to possessed Lionel?? What a stinker of an idea that turned out to be. Even the fight in the church with the Green Arrow was longer. Talk about an anti climax.

That's not to say there weren't scenes I didn't enjoy...such as Clark and Lois at the window of Air Force One. That was very well done. The final scene was also classic. BUT, for those critic who would argue "they didn't have the budget", I would ask, how much $ would it really cost to have Welling in the suit talking to Lois on a rooftop? Or Superman talking to his Mom at the farm? Or to a group of people ONCE HE FINALLY HAS REVEALED HIMSELF AND EMBRACED HIS DESTINY...they would want to know who he is! Wasn't that the big tension over the years?? Who am I? I don't belong here...they won't accept me...I can't accept my destiny...I don't even know what my destiny is. Blah, blah, blah.

You'd think after 10 years of talking endlessly on this show...they would actually have Superman talk to somebody! lol What a colossal oversight. People would have loved to see Lois and Superman share a moment as they did on the rooftop in Reeve's original film. But instead, once again, we get 99.2% melodrama mixed in with some radio tunes. That is to be expected with Smallville after 10 years of it...but you'd think someone would have been clued into this being the end. The payoff. What everything had been building for. They had all season to develop something great...and instead wasted the whole season and tried to squeeze a few glimpses of a CGI Superman in at the end.

It did disappoint.

May 17, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Important Producer

As an important Hollywood Executive Producer of both movies and television series I feel their would have been a wider audience if the girls on the show would have occasionally went without shirts or braserries. Toopplessness always increases viewership.

May 16, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Violetturtle

I enjoyed the series finale. I think they left things open for a possible movie follow-up at some point? Sure hope so. Thanks for 10 years of superness.

May 16, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  78. DJSINPA

Smallville was a great family oriented show. It wasn't about being 100% true to the comic book. It provided wholesome entertainment that you could allow your 10 year old daughter watch and now have to worry about it sending the wrong message. I started watching this from the begining with my son, and my daughter grew up watching it. It has allowed for my children to ask question and start conversations about some serious topics. I am thankful for that. As for the ending, all she wanted to see was for Clark to put on the constume and fly. She was not disapointed and neither was I. I'm sure we'll hear more complaints that it wasn't perfect, but what in life is. I'm sure we'll hear more childish commets (Big Gay Al), but that is expected. I would like to thank WB for providing a thoroughly entertaining show that I have been able to enjoy with my children.

May 16, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  79. teach

I gotta get back to talking about doodooo. Enough ol sad thoughts ! DOOOODOOO ! : )

May 16, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  80. teach

I kind of always watche it with a friend. When she passed away It kind of made me sad to watch it anymore. It was about 7 years ago. TIme sure zooms by fast.

May 16, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

Lana didn't die geek.....she absorb all of the kryptonite from a bomb to deactivate it As a result, she leaves Smallville as Clark can no longer get near her without the kryptonite radiation hurting him.. if you gonna talk doodoo about a show at least know what u talking about.

May 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gekaap

Joe, teach was saying that when his real life friend died, he stopped watching the show. Don't be ignorant.

I don't understand the complaints about the show being a teenage soap. The entire premise was to depict teenagers and how HS aged Clark Kent would develop into the Superman we all know. To me, that's like complaining that there are too many dogs on Animal Planet. The show was constantly lackluster in many ways throughout its run. Frequently too episodic, and when it did employ story archs they often didn't provide quite enough substance to satisfy. There were times when character development seemed unnatural. All of a sudden Clark would come to some epiphany, but it was because it was scripted that way. The developments did not always seem like a natural flowing from the events at hand, and this is especially true with the way that the Lois/Clark romance was developed in its infancy. It took a long time for that romance to appear real. But on the other hand, this show did far more to develop the character of Clark Kent the man, and how he could possibly be this God-like character of a hero. I especially liked how the finale portrayed Lois as having an integral part in bringing Clark through the last leg of the journey. I would have liked to have seen more of Chloe in the final season, and would have liked to have seen her more explicitly portrayed as the "friend of Steel" being the one person who had been by Clark's side moreso than anyone else in his journey. And I would have liked to have seen the people introduced to the new Superman. One major blunder in the finale....when Superman saves the day, the people were not impressed enough. We all knew it was coming, but the shouldn't have. Watching that scene I was looking forward to a moment akin to the baseball field scene in Superman Returns. All in all, this show had its good and bad. It could have been better, but I also think that many people have constantly held unfair expectations.

May 16, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  81. teach

Did Lana come back for the finale ? I think she was the cute little girl in the first few seasons.

May 16, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Name*myra

It was more a teen soap then anything else and had the same addictive qualities... still I'll miss it and the final episode was more then ok imho

May 16, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  83. teach

I thought it went off the air after Bo Duke got killed. I sure liked the first 3 seasons though. Lots of cute girls on it. After they got out of highschool i kind of quit watching it. Sounds like i missed out on a good prohgram.

May 16, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stu (England)

The reason why Bo Duke left Smallville is because Johnathon Kent died in the actual story of Superman, so thats why he died in Smallville. But was great to see him back for the final episode. I think the episode was amazing and i really enjoyed it. Thank you Mr Welling and and the rest of the Smallville cast and crew for an amazing entertaining 10 years )

May 21, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  84. Ed Junior

I enjoyed seeing Jonathan Kent come back and continue to offer support to his son, Clark. However, I was disappointed to not see Tom Welling in the suit completely. There were closeups but not a complete shot of him wearing the suit aside from the CGI shots. I understand "Smallville" was about Clark coming of age and his trials to become Superman, however after 10 years I think fans should have been able to see Tom Welling in all of the suit as he becomes The Man of Steel. I just hope there was a good reason why we didn't get to see that. But thanks to the cast and crew for a very good show.

May 16, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • nin

Apparently they don't own the suit or there are some contractual obligations that limit him being seen in the suit. Which completely disappointed me, I was hanging out for an iconic moment! even if it was for 2 seconds after he moved the planet with all the crowd looking up and pointing at him, that would have done me!

May 17, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  85. Jade

I'm sorry but people need to ditch the rose colored glasses if they think this didn't disappoint or that it was a great way to end the series. This entire 2 hour finale was 70mins of the same filler we've seen in the middle seasons of the show (when the show was close to cancellation -which no one wants to remember) , 40mins of commercials and 10mins of anything worth watching -which was still a blurred out, hamfisted, mess any way.

I've gone on in other places to great length about how the episode was ill written and how it could have been made better and I'm not about to sit here for any more time then I have to. But I will say that after 10 years they could have at least put some thought into the fact that they were actively trying to undo most of the story they had given us over the years in their finale.

This episode, especially as a finale, was so bad it was offensive to watch. I truly wish Tess could have dosed us all with that toxin to make us forget it all too.

May 16, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Altair

Jesus H. Louisus Christ the Third! It was a CW show; what the balls were expecting? Rubicon? The Wire?

May 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • superfan

you coudnt hve said it all better. the finale WAS crap. and we DIDNT see him in the suit. we should hve gotten a better view. and the killing off of tess? THAT REALLY "killed" it for me. the finale didnt live up tp the series itself.

May 17, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

I agree wholeheartedly. After watching the show for 10 years I really figured they would spend more time on this ending. They tried soooo hard to wrap up all of the story lines of the last ten seasons that they forgot what they were focusing on: Clark turning into Superman and defeating Darkseid. I mean, come on, really? He FLIES through Darkseid and destroys him, and then pushes Apokolips away all within about 5 minutes? Darkseid was supposed to be the most evil and powerful foe he ever faced, but it spent all of 2 minutes showing his defeat. I never cared about the discrepancies, I always pictured Smallville as its own take on the legend, and I would have much rather seen them end it on their own terms instead of satisfying all the other ones, and actually show Clark, that is Tom Welling, as Superman and show how the world accepts him in the universe Smallville has created.

May 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Smallville Fan

I absolutely loved the entire series (of course it dealt with late teen/early 20's drama – it was the WB/CW!), and the finale was everything I hoped it would be. The conclusion of the Darkseid story was great, seeing and listening to Lex again was amazing (Rosenbaum rules!) and Clark's statement to him, "Sorry I couldn't save you," was both sad and chilling! Jonathan Kent's spiritual/real presence was beautiful. And who better to hand Clark his Kryptonian heritage – the suit – than JK? Clark saving Air Force One with Lois on board was classic Superman homage, and knowing that Chloe ends up well and that Oliver was purged of his darkness, I couldn't have asked for a better wrap-up before Clark magically ran toward the screen ripping open his shirt in the most iconic way imaginable. (Welling also rules!) Congrats to the cast and crew for all their hard work!

May 16, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Carly

A little disappointed Lex didn't play a bigger part of the finale and was wishing for a little more Chloe, but such a great moment to see Tom Welling get to suit up and take off. And that final shot on the Daily Planet roof was worth the wait!

May 16, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Dennis

Loved IT!!!!! Great way to end a great show.

May 16, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  89. Tina Mims-Jiggetts

I thought the episode was bitter sweet. If you have been a fan as long as I have then the episode was outstanding. I was hooked on Smallville from Season 1 Episode 1. There were times that the show fizzled just a bit but it always made up for it in the end. The journey Clark had to take made you feel like you were taking it with him. He was never in it alone. I loved the way the Clark/Lois story panned out. They were not immediately thrusted together, but it was gradual. The story of Superman and Lois is classic. I believe Tom Welling actually possessed a lot of the qualities we believe Clark Kent to be. The show brought back all the characters from old Superman affliated shows and films. Smallville captured the essence of what life was like for Clark Kent in Kansas. I loved the show. I loved the finale episode. It was the best season finale I have seen to date. Tom Welling became Superman just like Christopher Reeve was Superman in the 70's and 80's. It was fantastic, at least in my opinion.

May 16, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Well put, I thought the same and yes, the finale was one of the best episodes. Incredible finish, and if you are a fan of the story then you should have enjoyed this.

May 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

WOW! I'm glad to see that someone loved this show as much as I do! I havn't watched the season finale yet cuz I'm still catching up, but after reading your response to this article and many others I certainly look forward to it!! I have also been a fan of smallville since the very first episode, and I totally agree about feeling like you are part of the show. This series was phenomenal! And I loved every episode of it. I have been waiting weeks to watch the finale episode, but now I'm gonna miss it; Smallville is definitely my all time favorite show. Way to go producers for making such an amazing show!

May 17, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • LQ

I totally agree! I love this show, the cast and Tom Welling. I agree Tom seems to have a Clark like way. MR is amazing and this show wouldn't have ended well with out Lex.

May 18, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Peter

Thank you for writing this so eloquently Tina! I'm a foreigner and have lived in the USA since the serires began, 2001? I have watched all the seasons and like you said, have watched Clark Kent and the other characters grow up and mature, kind of like I have (in a way). It's amazing just watching the recounts for the preview seasons, how young they all looked and how well fitted to their characters all the actors were. I agree that it was right to bring Lex back one more time. I too was ecstatic at the end when Clark rips his shirt open and you can see the S undernearth. Superman, the Movie with C. Reeves was the first film I ever saw at a movie theater (yes, I'm that old!) and ever since Superman has been my favorite superhero, so you can imagen how thrilled I was when I moved here and learned that a new tv series about his teenage years was beginnig. Anyway, sorry for going on for ever, but just wanted to say thank you for expressing so well everything I felt watching the series and the season finale. I'm sure going to miss SMALLVILLE!

May 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Jenkins

I am 58 years old and watched it from day one, and I loved it. Never watched Dawson creek before. I will buy the whole series when it comes out this fall, even tho I have 3 seasons now.

June 7, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  90. B lo me

Really he embraces his destiny as superman shocking.

May 16, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  91. twisted

The way it ended made me think there's a small chance at a spinoff.

May 16, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  92. Sunshine Girl*

It was a nice farewell. I will miss this show. Has anyone seen B lo me?

May 16, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Your dad

I watched this show once. I was surprised how they took a pretty cool superhero story and mad it into Dawson's Creek. I'm sure all you high school kids then, college kids now loved an emo superman.

May 16, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Actually, he did not wear the suit. Watch the episode again. Besides the final shot where he pulls open his shirt, where exactly do you see Clark in his suit? There is nothing but a bunch of long shots of some CGI figure in a suit. There are no close-ups of him in the suit. We never see him in it.

May 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

I'm gonna have to agree with "Your dad" I could never get past the fact that this show was literally Dawson's Creek with superheros.

May 16, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark a

this show was never about a suit... get over it.. great finale...

May 16, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • matt

i don't watch too much TV... never even knew about this series.. maybe i will look for the final season DVD's in a few weeks.

May 17, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |