The battle for Greendale on 'Community'
May 13th, 2011

The battle for Greendale on 'Community'

Back in February, "Community" star Alison Brie told CNN she sees Abed as "such a platonic member of the group" when asked if her character, Annie, would ever end up with Danny Pudi's Abed.

"I think Abed knows the dangers of what happens when the group kind of gets all, you know, mixed up. He's seen that," Pudi chimed in. "But who knows, every episode we’re always surprised at what we’re doing."

Indeed. Thursday night's season finale of "Community" saw Annie and Abed locking lips, at the end of an intense battle, which saw Greendale Community College fighting against the villainous City College, with their stormtrooper-ish paintball squad.

Josh Holloway's Black Rider was gone this week, but the episode was so perfect, I hardly missed him. What follows are just a few of the reasons.

Exhibit A: "I’m calling dibs on the Han Solo role before Jeff slouches into it by default." Leave it to Abed to immediately point out the "Star Wars" parody going on here (which the show also noted has been done, a few times).

The Han Solo-ization of Abed, with an assist by Starburns' vest, is what got Annie's attention. As for Jeff, he found himself taking second banana status to Troy. This entire episode was about the younger members of the group coming of age.

Exhibit B: "No thanks. I’m done with you all. Adios."

If the Abed/Annie pairing wasn't surprising enough, Pierce intentionally leaving the study group was a real stunner. It's anyone's guess if he will continue to take on the role of a villain in season three.

Exhibit C: "There is a place that we will all see each other again, and that is Denny’s." (Can I just say here that the choreography and cinematography of the action sequences is insanely good for a "half-hour comedy?")

Exhibit D: "First of all... Pop pop!"

Finally, did anyone catch "Cougar Town" cast members Busy Philipps and Dan Byrd cheering on Greendale's victory, courtesy Pierce (you can see them in the photo above)?

Were you as impressed with the finale as I was? Where do you think season three will go? I think it's fairly safe to say that there are no wrong answers to that question, no matter how far out of left field.

Share your iReport or comment below. Until next fall, stay cool cool cool.

Filed under: television • TV recaps

1. feets

Ive never seen it but it sounds ok. When does it come on ?

May 16, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  2. @N

show sucks.@llyod get ur azz outa here.

May 15, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lloyd Christmas

Yeah ! Only massive flaming homerseksuals watch this show. Im the ghost of christmas so i know all. Flamers and faygolas think this show is ineteresting.

May 15, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. toes

Does anyone play farmvilly ? I do sometimes. It is relaxing to me.

May 15, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mags

Love this show! Great finale; can't wait for next season!!

May 15, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Tripod

I used to really enjoy knight Rider.

May 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lloyd Christmas

FYI ya’ll Vee is the same person as Sunshine Girl, B lo me, twisted, head diva in charge, Yo!!, I am batman, Superhiro and a few others yet to be exposed… careful out there

May 14, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Vee

All the singing does get on my nerves though. Wish they would quit trying to be so much like High School Musical or GLEE.

May 14, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • qwerty

singing??? I think you're talking about the wrong show, community never has any singing. Are you talking about Glee?

May 14, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Vee

When Les Nessman showed up on this show i knew it was doomed. Its nice to see Loni Anderson again though. She has aged ok. Who would think a WKRP remake would be this goo ! COMMUNITY RULES !

May 14, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sgore

I am calling shenanagans on Timmie's and purina's posts. Either that or they are severely misinformed as to what Community is about in any shape form or manner and should really check out the show before dissing it please and thank you.

May 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sammie

This show is gaylicious !

May 13, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. purina

Taards and flamers also like it. Read their post above. It just sounds like a GLEE ripoff.

May 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Timmie

I watched this show back in the 70s. It was stupid then and is stupid now. Nothing but another remake of WKRP in Cincinati. Only noobs would think it any good.

May 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Yep

Exhibit E: The reference to the viral "Leroy Jenkins" YouTube video when Vicky jumps early screaming her own name during the rush on the ice cream truck...so subtle, so awesome

May 13, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bulloch

I never really cared for Pierce but this season he's done a complete 180 and become downright evil, which I love! I really hope he returns for Season 3, since it takes every one of these great actors and actresses to make this my favorite show.
    Oh and btw Denny's is for Winners!!

May 13, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Andrew

"Community" is by far one of the best comedies on television today. These two paintball episodes were fantastic. I'm sure if they made a spin-off and dedicated every episode to paintball, I would love it just as much.

May 13, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Johnny Blaze

Easily the fastest, wittiest, funniest 22 mins of Television on ANY channel this season. in just 2 Seasons in they've built a diverse and large cast (Starburns, Leonard, Fat Neil, Magnitude) the cast continues to grow and gain fans. Cannot wait until Season 3.

The only downside for the season finales was there wasn't enough Chang-uage.

May 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Queen Of Clubs

This was even better than last season's paintball episode, and that was insanely funny! I love this show, and it makes Chevy Chase funny again. Pierce is my hero!
    I've hooked alot of people on Community. They get away with SO many things, I have to re-watch it at least 2 times to catch all the jokes.

Troy dressed as Sheriff Bart from Blazing Saddles was BRILLIANT!

May 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. pop...what?

this was an amazing episode of community, way better then last seasons imo. trolls^

May 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Uncle Santa

Extra diarreeaah like

May 13, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sylas

Uncle Santa? Seriously, could u be more of a perv? Kids, stay away from this man and his panel van!!!

May 13, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trig

Be on the lookout for this man and his supposed "lost puppy!"

May 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Uncle Easter Bunny

Ridiculous! Everyone knows Santa isn't real

May 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Ling Cho

This sounds like a bunch of poop to me.

May 13, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |