NBC passes on 'Wonder Woman' TV series
May 13th, 2011

NBC passes on 'Wonder Woman' TV series

It looks like "Wonder Woman" won't be taking flight after all. NBC has decided not to pick up the highly anticipated series about the Amazing Amazon.

Sources tell Deadline that the David E. Kelley pilot—which starred "Friday Night Lights" actress Adrianne Palicki as a crime fighter, corporate executive and modern woman—wasn't a disaster and described it as "ambitious" and "well crafted."

So what exactly was the problem (besides Wonder Woman's much-criticized, revamped costume, of course)?

"The audience couldn't buy into the modernization," one insider told Deadline. Another source said the series just wasn't necessary: "It was a conceptual thing. Do we need a comic book hero?"

Or more specifically, do we need another Wonder Woman?

Though Lynda Carter headlined a popular series about the DC Comics superhero in the '70s, there have since been several failed attempts to bring Wonder Woman to the big screen. And in January, several networks passed on Kelley's "Wonder Woman" TV pilot before he brought it to NBC.

Are you upset that Wonder Woman won't be back on television?

1. Movies

It is the best time to make some plans for the longer term and it's time to be happy. I have read this submit and if I may just I desire to recommend you few attention-grabbing things or suggestions. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more issues approximately it!

May 25, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. citizenUSA

Who thought modernizing WW was a good idea in the first place? She's not a modern age character like Spider-Man. People couldn't buy into the stupid outfit they changed a couple of times. And what does, "do we need another Wonder Woman", mean? Where is there another? I think most people who remember Linda Carter as WW 35 years ago would not have felt slighted. How many stupid MOVIES have been made from TV shows? I've been to numerous Hollywood test screenings of TV show pilots. If it's done right it's a hit. It's not the fault of the audience if it's a dud. It's the fault of the actors, writers, directors etc, or any combination of the group. I guess Mila Jojovich will stay the only decent female action-hero.

May 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ron31

Is that the chick that played on The Young and Restless

May 16, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JB!

Don't want it to fail? Don't target it to the feminists. Have FX pick it up and make it racy like Sons of Anarchy, duh

May 16, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Elizabeth

Plz plz plz somebody pick this show up even foe just one season!!! Give it a chance!! Enough of the reality stuff, give us a fantasy world especially if it's wonder woman!!! Love her!! Wish I was her cu I would be HOT in that get-up!!! Plz plz plz!!!!!!

May 16, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • citizenUSA

Please forgive my curiosity but... just HOW hot would you be in that costume?

May 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Malkntnt

Also, this should be picked up by SyFy!
    Also, why modernize it? I would love to see a Golden Age Wonder Woman! THAT would be bad-ass!

May 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Malkntnt

The problem is that networks are not interested in good smart shows. Look at The Cape... it was a good smart show with a good following and still canceled. Networks are really struggling with DVRs and advertising too. On-Demand services, On-Demand, and internet services don't fit the standard model for ratings. This is a real issue because Networks charge based on the rating share of the show. I wish that they would get their heads out of their butts and figure out the resolution. Time to get with the times!

May 16, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. Johnny Bushido

Wow, I thought the show was already picked up. Oh well, that's life.

May 16, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. Gerry

I never liked the concept or look for this show. Wonder woman deserves the big-screen treatment and done right. (Thor is big at the box office and it's the similar concept, wonder woman is not a "god" but an "amazon" who lives in modern times.) just imagine XENA suddenly living among us. now THAT would be interesting to watch.

May 16, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. @N

@llyod chirstmas i aint a dude.im a girl.

May 15, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lloyd Christmas

BUT DOOOOOOODE I AM A FLAZMING HOMER. WHY WOULD I CARE WHAT U LOOK LIKE? OH YEAH I FORGOT. I CARE BECAUSE U ARE A DOOOOODE TOO !

May 15, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nina786

why should i upset ?? :D the original series is best....

May 15, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. @N

@llyod christmas im a super model.& no i aint fat!!!& i dont liv in memphis!!!why wud i liv der anyway its covered in bar-b-cue which can ruin me being skinny!!!look at urself covered in memphis bar-b-cue & 365 ilbs!!!try lookin at urself before u accuse some1 else b!otch!!!

May 15, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  14. FADINA DORBORAH MIDDLETON

It would be an honor if I could play a role in, "The NEW Wonder Woman". Not every little girl dream of wanting to be a Princess or wanting to marry a Prince. I always dreamed of being Wonder Woman's Side Kick or her Wonder Girl. But is America open to a Super Hero being a woman of color? I'm 5'9", 34B-24-36, 38 years old, African-American, part Cherokee Indian and I have grey eyes. Mr. David E. Kelly, I loved your Ally McBeal Shows.

May 15, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. James

So, they allowed the remake of the Bionic Woman to come to the air, but won't give Wonder Woman a run? Who is making these decisions? Putzes!!

May 15, 2011 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
  16. Lloyd Christmas

@N is really fat and lives in Memphis

May 14, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. @N

i understand dat all of u r fat helpless losers!!!get off dat phone or computer & liv a life!!!

May 14, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. RobynH

Joss Whedon and the Mutant Enemy team writing and directing and Lucy Lawless as Wonder Woman.
    There, we're done, go make million$$$.
    You're welcome.

May 14, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Brian

Reading about the revamp it had nothing to do with the character except that the controversial costume at least was somewhat like her costume. Instead of Diana being an Amazon in a modern world she was the daughter of a CEO who happened to be an Amazon. In fact this was Big Corperation vs Big Corperation much like that Tarzan series WB had about a decade ago. The more details that came out of the series the more fans cringed and so do other members of the general public.
    For me having an Amazon who has little experience with our world would have been the correct modern take to this. Wonder Woman fighting monsters in modern day and being a pawn of the gods like many a Greek hero would have been interesting. Steve Trevor could have been the person to find Diana and help her learn to adjust to this world. They could have brought more of the Greek Mythology into this new series like they are doing in Wonder Woman for a few years other than the current storyline JMS abandoned.
    What David E Kelley did (and I am a huge fan of his) he took too much away from what we know and like of the character. When we look at shows and movies that have been successful with the audience, you keep the core of who the character is and their origin: Iron Man, Thor, Smallville, Batman Begins but you can change it without alienating both the fan base and the causal fan. David E Kelley failed here. A lot of fans were already worried about the series and glad it did not air.
    My wife not even a comic book fan reading on websites on Sci Fi News Sites (Latino News, Superherohype.com, Blastr etc.) She was not a fan. Hell she hated the costume for the same reasons the comic fans did. I think NBC should at least play this as a TV movie, the pilot and see what we think. Worse we hate it. Best they get some money back from showing it.

May 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Lloyd Christmas

FYI ya’ll Vee is the same person as Sunshine Girl, B lo me, twisted, head diva in charge, Yo!!, I am batman, Superhiro and a few others yet to be exposed… careful out there

May 14, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  21. ANGEL

I wished they had let Josh Whedon do the series as well as the movie!! To me he is absolutely the best person to work on a female character!! From Buffy, Serenity, and Dollhouse, Josh Whedon has more than proven himself that he is the best person for WonderWoman!!!!!!!

May 14, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jeff

What a crock !!! I admit Adrianne wouldnt have been my first pick to play WW but come one (do we need another superhero tv show>?? what are they thinking of for shows?? the only one on was Smallville (suprman) although he wasnt really superman untill 10 min before the show wrapped after 10 yrs on tv, Maybe they should try TheCW channel to pick it up. Its really a shame I really enjoyed the old WW show and woulda been nice to see (although the new suite really sucked (pants) maybe they will make a movie?? I mean they made one about the Green Hornet (stupid) but it actualy was a good movie even though Seth Rogan isnt the superhero type but he pulled it off (just enuf humor) in it so it wasnt retarded, NBC execs couldnt pic a show that was worth anything if there life depended on it . Ive seen some really bad shows on tv lately and I didnt think Wonder Woman would be a bad one although they had her doing 3 things (if i remember right) from the initial description they had in tv guide not to long ago. This summer is going to be exploding with super hero movies and they are all guys so wheres the girl power at??? maybe im just an old pervert in my old age wanting to see a hot chick in tighties running around saving the poor poor destoolute guy in perile (LOL) WELL lets see if NBC picks any winner's this summe rat all because so far (I DONT WATCH NBC) because there programing is inthe gutter (blows) anyways just my tought

May 14, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. I am batman

This is news? Come on...why can't they report on something worth while. Geeze.

May 14, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  24. WonderFan

Altough I was slightly excited by the idea at first, I then reminded myself what happend to smallville. I think te best choice is to just make a Wonder Woman movie, and then open the possibility to a justice league movie.

May 14, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  25. "She's a wonder..."

Meh, who are we kidding anyway, there is and will always be only one Wonder Woman, and that's Lynda Carter!

May 13, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Vee

She is supposed to be big and giant like Oprah. Snooki would make an awesome wonder woman ! All her blubber would be bouncing and jiggling like jello. She would be all sweating and stinking like people from up north do. It would be awesome !

May 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Arelem

They could bring it back, but they need 1) a writer who understands the comic and its history, and 2) an actress that fits the role (i.e. tall, athletic looking and beautiful, Ms Policki is only tall)

May 13, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jan

So, the pilot failed because it needed to have a more beautiful super hero? Does you mommy know you're playing with the computer?

May 16, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  28. jujubeans

I think they should bring back I Dream of Genie only have the Master really take advantage of her powers.

May 13, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Superhiro

There's NO reason they shouldn't be able to do a WW movie. If they can make a Lord of the Rings movie work, they can make WonderWoman work. If they can make a THOR movie work, they can make WonderWoman work.

May 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Christopher DC

I'm not sure how much "modernization" needs to go into Wonder Woman. Giving her the Christopher Nolan treatment wouldn't serve her very well, as this latest failure demonstrates. This has always been a character more rooted in magic and fantasy than in science fiction (like Superman) or "realistic" action-adventure (like Batman), and perhaps the best way to adapt Wonder Woman to live-action is to embrace how different she is rather than "reimagine" her orgins and background. Write a proper origin story that depicts her as she was originally intended to be: a princess from a lost realm with amazing powers and magical gadgetry, trained as a warrior but with the gentle heart of a peacemaker, who comes to our world to serve as an ambassador and teacher as much as as a crime-fighter. Throw in an adversary (or villain organization) that makes a worthy opponent, throw in a dash of romance with Steve Trevor (making him more three-dimensional in the process), and you could have something very special, either as an ongoing TV series or a feature film, though I think the former is more likely. History has shown the best comic book adaptations have come when the writers have not strayed too far from the original source material. David Kelley didn't learn that lesson. Here's hoping whoever tries next will worry less about "modernization" and more about telling a good story.

May 13, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Robert

Bummer, But better to kill it now than let it ruin the possibility of a good movie, or better yet a Justice League film or series.
    Seems like WW faces a lot of hurdles. The biggest is how to modernize the story for a current audience.

May 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Eric J

I hope it gets picked up by another network.

It's been a long time since the previous "Wonder Woman" TV show, and there has never been a theatrical-movie starring the character. Lots of demand has built up which another network could profit from.

May 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  33. jaycool

Booooooo! I so wanted to see that!

May 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Ling Cho

I see show on WGN several weeks ago. It nooo good. Wonder Woman not supposed to be big g iant fatt gurl.

May 13, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • NoDoubt

Actually, since she's an Amazon, she IS supposed to be a large woman.

May 13, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Christopher

Not a suprise, given the networks' experience with "The Cape" (and I ENJOYED "The Cape")

May 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Chucklehead

I have to wonder just how bad a show has to be if NBC passes on it.

May 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Superhiro

Bad idea from the start. This is probably for the best.

May 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  38. LEE LOW

It was a poooopy show. Just pooooopy. That is why noone liked it.

May 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • About that Mystery Fan

So, Noone liked it? Who is Noone?

May 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gandalf the Brown (cat)

MEOW!!
      That would be Peter Noone. The British have different tastes in entertainment than us yankees.

August 31, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Shhhhh.....

I'm sorry, I can't hear you. Could you speak up?

May 13, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  40. No really... seriously

You guys are the only ones kissing David's butt between the lines here. NO one else is reporting that the pilot was ambitious and well crafted, that test audiences couldn't buy into the modernization. Clearly it wasn't well crafted if the test audiences couldn't buy into it. As well, being ambitious doesn't mean it's good. Whoever wrote this should realize being ambitious means to have a strong desire to succeed. Why don't you just publish what the real issue was. The angle and theme of Wonder Woman herself is not something Kelley could handle. She isn't Alley McBeal or something out of Boston Legal. Leave it to CNN to blow smoke where it need not be blown.

May 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Up until your paranoid last line, that was a refreshingly well written comment. Unfortunately, your closer suggesting some cnn.com conspiracy to bolster a television producer's reputation just about negates everything you said before. Too bad.

May 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Peace

Highly anticipated series, by whom???

May 13, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  42. Boy Wonder

Upset? Not as long as we get to see her in Hustler Mag.

May 13, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  43. cheefsfury

I DONT THINK ITS POSSIBLE TO BRING THIS CHARACTER TO A MODERN AUDIENCE

May 13, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Meadowoman

Sure it is. The problem is that the media has pumped so many red light district role models out the door it can't synch in it's own mind how a young child might perceive a female hero who's life mission isn't to be a Centerfold. The bustier is still quite a put-off though, something mama might wear in private for papa you know? The total imagery around what a woman is and should be are so fraught with irony any more. Thank goodness women burned their bra's to usher in a day when we all are expected to look 15, weigh 90 lbs, and have 38DDD's.

May 14, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |