'Chuck' fans win once more: NBC to air fifth season
May 13th, 2011

'Chuck' fans win once more: NBC to air fifth season

With networks scheduled to continue announcing which shows will be renewed or canceled over the next week, fans of NBC’s “Chuck” found themselves in a familiar position: coming up with a creative way to try to keep the show on the air.

Those fans can now breathe a sigh of relief: According to Entertainment Weekly, NBC has renewed "Chuck" for a fifth season with 13 episodes,  although it looks like it'll also be the last.

This waiting game isn't new, of course. Since the end of its first season, “Chuck” has been on the proverbial bubble.

It doesn’t pull in the biggest ratings, but it does have a core audience that will do whatever it can to keep its favorite Nerd Herder from cancellation. That included purchasing Subway sandwiches en masse at the end of season 2, a move that led to the company buying in as a sponsor for the show.

This year’s campaign was Not A Nielsen Family (also a hashtag on Twitter), which essentially boils down to, “We might not show up in your numbers, but we’re watching and we can prove it.”

The idea has been for fans to watch the show as it airs, simultaneously tweeting at both NBC and whatever advertisers show up during the commercial breaks.

It’s an idea that the show’s creative team certainly endorses. As a recent episode got ready to air, “Chuck” creator Josh Schwartz challenged fans to “melt Twitter down.”

Upon hearing the news that NBC is keeping "Chuck" around for another season, Schwartz acknowledged the efforts of the devoted fanbase.

"The passion of the CHUCK fans has been heard again," he tweeted. "We are all truly lucky to have the greatest fan base on tv. Thank you."

1. eileen

Yeah, Chuck, I love this show, i was sooo sad when it was on the bubble, it is the only show I watch on NBC since they cancelled Heroes, NBC sucks but I love some Chuck

May 17, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kaitlyn

Chuck is a unique and amazing show. First of all, the cast is perfect and covers every great plot for a movie, and secondly, it's both hilarious and allows for the emotions to begin bubbling. I would say that if NBC cancelled Chuck they would be making a big mistake. Chuck has the core of NBC's audience, and they have proven to be unable to fill that with any of their other shows. They are going to be losing a lot, and with the most recent shows they have released, the fan base they thought would be huge really were not great. Therefore, what NBC has thought the audience would love, they haven't, and what the audience wants is 'Chuck'. They should not remove it until the fan base has decided it's time, and that is clearly not now.

May 16, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. @N

@llyod take ur azz & play outside!!

May 15, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mastermind

Lloyd give it at rest man. Do something productive instead of trolling and picking on people. We should all try and get b lo me and sunshine girl together instead of you making up lies.

May 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Head diva in charge

Hi ya'll. I'm back! It appears I missed some drama with B lo me and Lloyd Christmas

May 14, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. B lo me

I heard Sunshine Girl *is fat anyway. I don't think ill be dating her. I might let her B lo me.

May 14, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. B lo me

1-800-LloydCANdeepT-hroat

May 14, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sunshine Girl *

The stations are going cancellation crazy. Then the replace everything good with either dumb cheesy sitcoms or those god awful reality shows. Tvs just not worth it any more. @Lloyd Christmas...Give it a rest already. Your not impressing anyone w/your fake knowledge.

May 14, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lloyd Christmas

FYI ya’ll Vee is the same person as Sunshine Girl, B lo me, twisted, head diva in charge, Yo!!, I am batman and a few others yet to be exposed… careful out there

May 14, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babiyaga

@Lloyd, Sunshine, & Diva, etc.- Right, so by proving him wrong you post 5 times in a row under all the same names he just called out. GENIUS move. *applauds* ...you must be heading to Harvard this fall. Beware everyone, dooch rockets below. v

May 16, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sunless

try that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

May 14, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Stevo

I love Chuck. Wish they could continue it, but hey, I'll be happy with what I can get now-a-days with the way the networks are dropping shows like flies!!! Thanks Chuck fans for being so awesome and helping to keep the show on the air for as long as you have!!!

May 14, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. Daniel

Oh all this anger against 'Chuck'... your show got cancelled I see?

May 14, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  13. whatever

congratulations chuck fans. And yes the way the score ratings needs to change. Most of us aren't nielsen families, and everyone one deserves to be counted.

May 14, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
    • JT

The big problem is that they don't include DVR, it's not *as much* who has a Nielson box. Too many people, particularly shows like this, watch the DVR and not live. That doesn't get translated.

May 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. R

VIVA BUYMORIA!! And long live CHUCK. The only good shows NBC has left are Chuck and the Thursday comedies. And I guess I'll give them Parenthood too since my mom loves that show, and the one time I saw it, it was pretty decent.

May 14, 2011 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Anieli

We fans are very happy to chuck the renewal of the series, but we do not want that fifth season will be the last, we love the show and we want more seasons and more than 13 eps, please we implore NBC to not chuck end the season 5

May 14, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  16. DropTheMoon

Chuck wouldn't have needed the fans to rally if NBC gave it the proper endorsement and advertisements from the beginning. Really, NBC should consider themselves lucky, since Chuck fans are helping them keep the sponsors that they are throwing away with other horrible shows.

May 13, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  17. chuckfan

chuck is my fav show!!! please do a sixth season too. i know tons of poeple that love your show. you think not a lot of people dont like it but trust me, your mistaken. CHUCK ROCKS!!!!!

May 13, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  18. tiffany outlet

That is a good article.Thanks for sharing.

May 13, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Binarydaddy

I'm sorry...but NBC has really fallen into the toilet in recent years:( As a loyal Chuck fan, I've openly participated in every campaign, tweet plug and SOS plot since day one! And while I don't own a pair of "Cons", Chuck proves that the future of TV isn't Nielson anymore!

The last worthy show prior to Chuck that NBC aired in my opinion was Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip! A show about what goes on behind network TV's closed doors! Since then, NBC has canned virtually every good show they've had because of ratings when they don't have meaning anymore!

Great 1-hour television hasnt seen much lately...not since The West Wing & Studio 60. 90% of the ones on over the last 5-10 years are the same. Cops, murderers, doctors, family turmoil and reality TV! If the networks would come up with something original and stick with it...like Chuck, they might stop replicating cop shows in the same damn cities over and over again!

Here's hoping that a smart network (like CBS) will buy the rights and keep Chuck going...like Medium did for nearly a decade!

May 13, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steph

Agreed!!!!! CHUCK is pretty much the only tv i watch here in New Zealand.

May 14, 2011 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Russell

Those good shows you are looking for... They're all on cable now. Chuck is one of the few network shows left that I watch. I had 5 shows cancelled on me this year so far, all on network tv. These are shows with ratings solid enough o pull a (small) profit with initial airing, nevermind secondary and tertiary revenue sources (dvd sales, syndication, overseas rebroadcasting, web sales, web streaming ad revenue, merch sales, etc ), and they were all cancelled in the pursuance of higher profits. The networks will lose this game because people will and are going to stop tuning in, period. They are reducing their overall audience with these frequent cancellations. They are slowly killing themselves.

May 14, 2011 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  20. twisted

Lmao! So your opinion is based on his trademark "Chuck Taylor" converse.

May 13, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  21. MS

Yes because a fifth season of Chuck is really what NBC needs to climb out of the hole they're in.

NBC your network deserves fourth place.

May 13, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Vee

I heard all the homers wear those converse sneaks. Its a clever disguise so everyone wont see their gay ballerina slippers.

May 13, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • D. M.

Oh Vee,

I Think Thou Protests Too Much!!

I think you love your gay ballerina slippers! I can see you wearing them from here!!

May 14, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  23. twisted

@bestbuysux the shoes are part of the cover. You must not be a fan of the show

May 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brooke

@Twisted- ummm you must not be a fan. The chuck's Chuck wears are HIS shoes. He's worn then since season 1, episode 1. Take a look back man.

May 16, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Uncle Santa

Santa needs to bring you direct tv or uverse.

May 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Uncle Santa

I have never seen this show a single time. It is sad that people still watch the big 3 or 4 networks. I wish yall had good stuff to watch like The CHILLER Channel.

May 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

I think it's sad when people troll and make stupid comments about things they don't follow or know about.

May 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  26. rubberman

I love sarah she is a deadly beauty

May 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  27. veronica

I LOVE CHUCK!!!

May 13, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  28. BestBuySux

Just like Harry Potter, Chuck proves that you can only pretend to be hip and cool for so long. Sooner or later, you have to hang up the Converse for grown-up shoes.

May 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Rex Manning

This show is missing more obvious corporate endorsments and smartphone plugs. Maybe if they constantly commented on the perks of BING or showed us how they can do hands-free parking with their new Prius? If fat Jared tought us anything, it's that no career can survive on Subway alone!

May 13, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Vee Is Out and Proud

Glad to see you're not longer hiding in the closet with your ballerina slippers, Vee. Good for you!

May 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |