Radio host to Hilary Swank: You're not a pretty girl
May 11th, 2011

Radio host to Hilary Swank: You're not a pretty girl

A recent radio interview almost turned ugly when the host informed Oscar winner Hilary Swank that she isn't pretty.

Swank was chatting with Kim Masters of L.A.'s KCRW on Monday when the discussion turned to the lack of roles for older actresses in Hollywood.

“I'm still young enough that I haven't been feeling the brunt of that," Swank said. "Certainly, you hear about it … and you do see it, although you also see a lot more roles I think opening up for older women. I mean, Meryl Streep seems to be dominating."

"Oh, but she's… the exception," replied Masters. "She's not a pretty girl, and you're not either."

Rather than being reduced to tears, the "Boys Don't Cry" star joked, "Hey, what are you saying?!" then added, "Actually, I completely know what you're saying. I play characters. I don't play a movie star-looking type of person, which I prefer. I mean, who walks around looking like that anyway?"

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Meryl Streep • movies

1. Sally

I've never thought of her as ugly. Watched the movie Amelia a few days ago, Hilary was great in the leading role btw.

July 19, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. tiny

meryl streep is pretty but only with short hair

July 12, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. how to fix wii

I have been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or weblog posts in this sort of space . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this web site. Studying this information So i'm satisfied to express that I've a very just right uncanny feeling I came upon just what I needed. I such a lot certainly will make sure to don?t forget this website and provides it a glance regularly.

April 10, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. teri

she is a great actress but she is not pretty

June 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jim

Hilary is a beautiful woman, not a girl, and someone needs to fire that radio host. People like
    her have to be mean to be noticed, and the comment was all about her, not Hilary. I loved
    hilary in "million dollar bably" and would love to meet her in person. She is a talent actress,
    and a beautiful woman.

June 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kc slickteig

if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, this person obviously wasn't raised very well, shame on them, blunt comments are bullying in many ways, which supposed adults are guilty of all the time..... too bad. Hillary is a beautiful person inside and out !

June 5, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. me

She isn't attractive in the least bit. I have no desire to see ANY movie that she's in.

June 2, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lolo

Apparently 'ugly' is the new BEAUTIFUL.
    She's a knock out.

May 31, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. remy

well Kim so much for tryin to interview without your foot in your mouth

tacky very tacky........

May 30, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Catty

I love Hillary's work. After SALT, I will never watch another Anjela movie and I cannot now think of her as pretty, just lips. Hillary is a great actress – and not bad looking either.

May 28, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. knightmese

I like how they left out part of the transcript to sensationalize it. Nice "journalism" by a bunch of hacks. If you read the full transcript you will see that she apologized for the way it came out and meant to say that she doesn't play pretty characters in movies.

May 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. M2Mac

This is very much being taken out of context. If you listen to the live cast, she says Hillary plays the part of "not pretty girls" – that she plays "real characters" rather than a glamorous Hollywood-esque roll. Kim even backtracks to say "that came out wrong" and Hillary responds saying "No, I know what you mean" and even agrees with Kim.

May 27, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. Gayle

Hillary is beautiful, and classy, some people are just jealous to say otherwise !!

May 24, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lina

She is beautiful! Freedom Writers was a great movie and she looked beautiful throughout!

May 22, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. Roger

She is very attractive. Maybe the radio guy was confusing her with Maria Shriver.

May 21, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jon

Kim Masters on the other hand looks ALOT like Michael Jackson but with a long beaky nose

May 20, 2011 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  17. Charles T. Blankenship

She might not be the prettiest star in Hollywood but she sure exhibited a lot of class in her response to such a moronic statement.

May 19, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  18. you'rekiddingme

Finally!! Someone willing to tell the truth! I have been waiting for years for someone to have the guts to say that this girl is not pretty. She is not attractive in any way, shape, or form. I am sick of everyone having to refer to these stars and describe these stars as 'beautiful' when they are not. The sad truth is, a woman knows when she is not beautiful, so to constantly refer to her as beautiful is patronizing. Especially when she is described as an 'unconventional' beauty or 'today's version of beauty" Today's version of beauty has a lot to be desired. Not every woman is beautiful, and just because you are some sort of celebrity, it does not mean you should constantly be described as beautiful. How many years have we had to hear "the beautiful Susan Lucci"? Beautiful? With that hook nose and clown mouth? Come on! Look at all the women in hollywood that are considered beautiful. In actuality, less than a handful are.

May 19, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  19. AHanson

Oh no she didn't

May 19, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. JoeKnows

Hm. very rude n ignorant; looks are perception. I dont "think", she is clearly beautiful. Ur acts, way of like make u ugly or not.

May 19, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Gina

I just think it's funny that those calling her ugly for the majority are stating it as a "fact". Okay this isn't a scientific argument here. Last time I checked, your opinions can't really be stated as facts. Plus how tactless of that woman.

May 19, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  22. steve

as if Kim is a hottie!
    geesh

May 19, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  23. serious

Ugly or not that radio host should have kept that comment to herself. How would you like it if I invited you to dinner and told you that you were ugly? Inside thoughts need to stay just that –inside.

May 18, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  24. bob

I dont think she is drop dead gorgeous but she isnt ugly. She also isnt at the level of beauty as Angliana Jolie or Kate Beckensale. However her comments after the host said that to her where classy and superbly said. It does show she is in it for the craft and not for the fame and money. Which I can appreciate when an artist does that. I will certainly not dismiss her movies now that I know she truly try.

May 18, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Jim

OK so then why is this Kim chick doing RADIO vs Hilary doing MOVIES with greats like Eastwood? Sounds like someone's a little jealous of the beauty that more than skin deep.... You go Hilary.

May 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  26. SteinL

Hillary isn't beautiful or ugly. She's cute and I'm sick of Hollywood only hiring 'beautiful' woman and giving the young girls of this world complexes. Renee Zellweger isn't all that great either, but she's also a great actress. Sometimes beauty doesn't mean talent.

May 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  27. peeps

Neither are good looking. Woof.

May 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  28. peeps

They are both FUGLY!!!

May 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  29. FesterNscab

She looks like a monkey!

May 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  30. millerscd

Is she blind. My god... Sounds like someone is jealous!

May 18, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  31. Devara

Hilary is better looking than Kim Masters. Although that's not saying much. Both of them would have to tie a pork chop around their necks to get the dog to play with them.

May 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  32. sonoran

She's a good looking woman, and they way she took the comment in stride, with no ego tied up in her looks... makes her a whole lot more attractive.

May 16, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Fallowt

She's very attractive, face and figure. You clowns who think she's ugly either need glasses or you better hope that your love interests don't have such impossibly-high physical standards as you, or you're in for a long and lonely life. I'd hit it, and so would you.

May 16, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  34. terri

excuse me – I should have wrote Hillary's comment made no connection between age and looks, not that she hadn't mentioned age.

May 16, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  35. terri

So what brought about the need for such a remark from the radio host in the first place?

Hillary's comment had no mention or comment regarding age or looks. The host's reaction merely demonstrates where so many representatives of the media (and genral public) have their minds - surface appearances only. It is a small wonder to hear such stories, they show how much of society is dominated by the shallow and meaningless.

May 16, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  36. nhirsch

I think Hillary is very attactive.

May 16, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  37. Bill

Ok, so let me get this straight, Streep isn't pretty either? Even in her youth? Wow. This woman is nuts.

May 16, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  38. dee

so Kim thinks you have to be pretty to win an oscar... ok, let's make sure future contenders look like natalie portman..

May 16, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  39. Dan B.

Yp Peeps, and you're an idiot " nothing wrong with that. Just a fact"

May 15, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  40. zoundsman

Whoa. Kim gets an "F" for choice of words. A professional who knows the power of speech could have easily
    have said " ... in the Hollywood 'Pretty Girl' kind of way." Kim sounds like someone without any class.
    Those who have met enough "pretty gals," then find them as deep as an oil slick will get my drift.

May 15, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Deb

I just go by the old saying Beauty is in the EYE of the beholder!!!!! And besides Hilary has Oscars for her talent not her looks,what the hell does Kim Masters have besides a Micraphone. I have seen Hilarys work in movies she is a great actress,and not in the Miss USA Pageant. KIM MASTERS is (JEALOUS)......

May 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Mac

Yes she is ugly, but who cares because when she's nude no one is looking at her face

May 15, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  43. Dingus

This is news? Maybe I better go hit the Weekly World News for the heavy stuff.

May 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Adam

Go to the radio website here http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tb/tb110509casting_tv_shows_hil and read the actual transcript CNN is up to their games agin... Horribly written story just to get attention....

May 14, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Me@work

Seriously? Who is Kim Masters to call anyone ugly? Face for radio, I believe is what they call it...

May 14, 2011 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  46. Hampton

She's not a beauty; but nor is she ugly - she's easy on the eyes... she looks as good as anyone else.

May 13, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  47. slupdawg

I'd hit it for sure. More than once.

May 13, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  48. beauty queen

Great body, ugly face!

May 13, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  49. ells

If Hilary is ugly, then the vast majority of people are ugly. Personally I think she's a doll, and she has a great spirit. The radio person was trying to give her a compliment, and Hilary handled it well. Why are people so mean about women's looks? It's low-life animal behavior.

May 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Dee

Her response to the interviewer shows her CLASS ...which is more than you can say for some of the "hot girls" in Hollywood.

May 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Texas

I bet her la la is nice and pretty

May 13, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  52. gene

I'd have to hear audio to judge whether the conversation could be interpreted as being in any way insulting, but the host should probably have thought ahead about the possibility that the interview might be transcribed and printed and said, "prettygirl type."

May 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  53. KimMastersCritic

Hilary may not be a candidate for Victoria's Secret catalog, but Kim Masters looks like a chunky, dime-a-dozen, beady-eyed Hebe who couldn't turn heads in a tornado.

May 13, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  54. rolyat

Have you ever seen Kim Master's face ? What nerve. Hilary looks better than you Kim.
    She's character actress. Hilary is hardly unattractive. You want to see unattractive Kim ? Look at your face and your Momma's.

May 13, 2011 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  55. Neftoon Zamora

No, she's not a pretty girl, but she is an attractive woman. And one hell of a lady.

May 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  56. BRICKHOUSE

She is a classic butterface.

May 12, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Chad Lowe

Yeah, but her body is rockin'!!!!!

May 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  58. hannah

C'mon. She meant Hilary is not a "pretty girl" which is a specific type of actress in Hollywood. Meryl Streep, Gwynneth Paltrow and Ellen Paige are not "pretty girls" either. But, of course they're all beautiful and attractive.

May 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  59. l

I agree with Nadine, not Peeps!

May 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Lola

Only a woman with a face for radio would know for sure!

May 12, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  61. jillmarie

Not pretty?! Let's see, her physique, lips, bone structure, mane of hair... I don't know what this woman thinks is, then. Gosh, does she think adorable kittens are ugly?!
    That was just a bit rude, but Hilary handled it with class.

May 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Fred Stubbs

Tried to post this before ... Hillary's face (the main bone of contention) reminds me a lot of ESPN's Erin Andrews who everyone rates as hot. Nice body, great legs, and if you've seen them, Hillary's feet and toes are out of this world! This debate needs to stop; Hillary's no Sarah Jessica Parker.

May 12, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  63. aubrie

She is not what I would call beautiful, but she IS indeed "pretty". She has a sincere smile, and an earthiness about her that is refreshing coming out of Hollywood.

May 12, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  64. vxcvxc

She isnt ugly, but shes definitely not that pretty.She's just kind of average I guess.

May 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  65. gmichael

KIM MASTERS IS A MUTT.... WHO IS SHE TO TALK.

May 12, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Tony

What an outrageously inconsiderate and mean thing to say. Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and ethnicities. While she mahy not be beautiful in a classical American sense – Marilyn Monroe of Farrah Fawcett, she certainly is not "ugly".

May 12, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Joe J

She's pretty.

May 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  68. yahoooo

I wonder if she likes sausage in the can?

May 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Enoch

Well, there is a reason Kim Masters is in radio.

May 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Lars Babbaganoosh

Yeah – the radio host who never shows her ugly face anywhere saying a movie star isn't pretty? Tell you what, I will make a blind bet – Hillary is hotter than the host by leaps and bounds, and I've never seen the host.

May 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Dave

I'd do her.

May 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  72. gabluefox

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however, like buttholes, everyone has one. Radio woman sure has a big one too!

May 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  73. The Woof

And just who has the right to judge what beauty is. Hillary is just as beautiful as the next person.

May 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  74. LULU

Is that her with Hilary in the picture when you click on the link? If so, SHE LOOKS LIKE GOLLUM from Lord of the Rings! you don't have any friends, kim masters; nobody likes you.

May 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  75. stacy

Hilary is beautiful, maybe not in the textbook version of beautiful, but beautiful none the least. she is a wonderful actress and unique. go girl

May 12, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Rod Munch

She looks like MATT DAMON!!!!

May 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  77. NY

Good old LA. Nothing but fake, heartless, plastic figures walking around.

May 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • LA

Good old NY. Nothing but conceited, materialistic, money grubbing vultures hovering around.

May 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  78. combatbunny

Respect to Hilary for a classy response. I can't see why a toad like Kim Masters would say that... Just rude.

May 12, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Ga Peach

Hilary is a beautiful woman! and a great actress! She has not been rebuilt like so many hollywood women. And to IEAT, obvoiusly you have never seen Angelina Jolie in "Changeling"...nothing about being pretty and a great, though disturbing, movie!

May 12, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  80. mxb

She looks like female version of matt damon ;)....hmmm could be brother and sister

May 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Greg

She is gorgeous! My wife looks just like her :-)

May 12, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Mari

How rude! Regardless of your opinion of a person you don't say that.

May 12, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Robbie

She's not pretty...she's BEAUTIFUL! How can someone say such a thing...she's one of Hollywood's classiest and Humble stars and amazingly beautiful...IMO!

May 12, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Steven Harper

I think she is beautiful.... there is something about her

May 12, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  85. GDBnNH

Not only is Hilary beautiful, she also has character and class.

May 12, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  86. ART

Its all in the eye of the beholder

May 12, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • ladybugs4pa

Thank you, Art! I've been scrolling for an eternity wondering when I was going to find someone with enough sense to know that their opinion is the end-all, be-all in opinions.

Wake up people...beauty is like art (no pun intended!), we don't always agree that it is great...

May 13, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  87. bib

let's all write to the radio station and get this pig of a DJ off the air!!!

May 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Mike

Hillary, you are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

May 12, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Fred Evil

And you must be blind.....she isn't ugly, but beautiful she aint...

May 12, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Michael

There is no such thing as an ugly person, just ugly personalities.

May 12, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  90. anon

Kim Masters is a subject matter expert, she has a face for radio

May 12, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  91. RobininTexas

@Matthew: YOU are beautiful. If only everyone encompassed your kind of open heart.... For the avoidance of doubt, beauty is far more than just a face or body. Unless of course, one is just terribly shallow and can only define beauty as a lovely face or body. Ever meet a physically beautiful person only to be completely turned off by their narcissistic personality or rude behavior? How beautiful is that? I do think Hillary is a beautiful and gracious woman. And, one hell of an actress.

May 12, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  92. Kristi

Great actress but I agree she just aint that pretty. Actually she's just an ok actress.

May 12, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  93. Deb

Let me say that Kim Masters should never have said that. And we wonder why our kids have self esteem "issues". I have not believe that someone would flat out say that someone is not pretty. EVERYONE is beautiful in their own way and NO ONE should ever tell someone that. I'm ashamed to know that there are people our there, like Kim, who think they are in a position to make a comment like that. Shame on you!

May 12, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  94. Kristal

Hillary has a look that says it all have You even seen the so called beautiful movie stars without make up on this girl is natural and shes has a tom boy look personally i find her gorgoues and with that hammer 4 a bod woo woo woo keep up the great work Hillary and You look just fine .

May 12, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  95. The Stable Called

Hilary, come back to your family. Marc Anthony and Sarah Jessica Parker are waiting for you to come home for dinner. Tonight's menu is probably a huge bundle of hay... hope that's okay with you.

May 12, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  96. WLM

I dont think she meant she was ugly, I think was was hinting to the fact that she really is not as pretty as the other hollywood stars her age, eg, Charlise Theron, But she def isnt ugly!

May 12, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  97. Fred L. Fraud

Kim Masters looks like Al Pacino in drag.

May 12, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  98. Sam

CNN is reporting the juice, they aren't reporting the fact that Kim Masters IMMEDIATELY apologized, and said she didn't mean to imply that she wasn't "pretty", she was referring to the fact that it seems alot of the good movie roles are going to the "pretty" girls (aka hot chicks whose acting abilities are suspect). I think she was referring to the likes of Jennifer Aniston, Kristen Stewart, Miley Cyrus, and others of their ilk.

May 12, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  99. Nielsen

Hilary is a class act and handled that hurtful comment perfectly. It amazes me how other people think their opinion (the radio host in this case) are everyone elses opinion. Hilary is beautiful for sure and it's a beauty beyond the superficial. A true beauty, the kind that doesn't have a shelf life.

May 12, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  100. DAN

WOW....Kim Masters....What a HAG

May 12, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  101. calvin

Hillary isn't pretty but she is attractive. She is also a very beautiful person and her reply to the talk show host proves that.

May 12, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  102. How Rude is right.

I would do her.

May 12, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  103. candice

Hilary is not your typical Hollywood glamor girl. She even agreed with the host. " Who walks around like that anyways."

May 12, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  104. Rudi Merom

The only way to advance your life is knowledge! If I would tell you to build any device you would say: I do not have the knowledge to do so! If someone would give you the knowledge to build the device than you could do it! The same is in our life. You need the knowledge how to maximize your inner ability. Take a look at http://www.TheDimensionMachine.com you can save many years of walking around like a chicken without a…

May 12, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  105. How Rude

How Rude!

May 12, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  106. Mirror, mirror...

....and that's why she works in Radio, and not as a movie star.

May 12, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  107. Gary

She looks like a horse tooth jack a$$.

May 12, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  108. Chris

The radio host was just calling it as she sees it... and I agree with her. Hillary may have a fantastic body, but her face looks like a foot. She's a classic example of a "butterface".

May 12, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  109. michael

Good Actress. Just different enough from the Hollywood'esque "Barbies" to make her incredibly interesting. I'll always watch her movies...because she plays to the part. Too many actors (ahem, Cruise, Pitt, Jolie) are basically a thin skin away from the same person in each role.

Gotta love her.

May 12, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  110. Maverick

Uh, google "Kim Masters" and the radio call letters and you'll see that not only is she no prize winner, Hillary is soooo much prettier than Kim.

Ya heard?

May 12, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  111. trynita

1st thought that popped in my head ... 'finally, someone said it' ... Hilary is not pretty, that's a fact ... the radio host was an idiot for saying something that was not 'polite' and Hilary's response was dead on ...... Meryl is HOTT and she's pretty .....

May 12, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  112. Paul

I just saw a picture of Kim Masters who made this comment – talk about gettin' hit with the ugly stick...where did KCRW find her? Working a Tilt-A-Whirl at a carnival?

May 12, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  113. Alex Winter

Well this was out in L.A. where many women are more plastic than human. She is very pretty.

May 12, 2011 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  114. larry

She should have replied, "compared to you though I am a 10"

May 12, 2011 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  115. Frenchy

Hillary is a beautiful woman!! The only horse face out there is Sarah Jessica Parker!!

May 12, 2011 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  116. Greg

Wow, talk about missing the point. The Radio Host wasn't saying she isn't attractive, if you read the context of the situation, you'll see that she's telling her that she doesn't land the rolls that call for the typical "bombshell" type actress...she trades on her acting ability, not on her physical appearance.

Calm down people...put away the pitchforks and torches.

May 12, 2011 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
  117. Krish

Hilary is smart enough to know how others look at her – she would not have even tried to become an actress if it bothered her : let alone an oscar winning actress. I think the radio host is pretty dense.

May 12, 2011 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  118. DC

yeah, she's got that 'pit-bull' face thing going...cute, but definitely not pretty

May 12, 2011 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  119. big

She is not beautiful but she is a wonderful lady and that counts

May 12, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  120. rh

At best, she is striking. At worst, well she looks like Steven Tyler.

It's not being a loser to tell the truth.

May 12, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  121. kat

Thats the kind of thing losers say to successful people to try to make them feel bad.

May 12, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  122. the champion

i have never found that woman attractive....her face looks jacked up...

May 12, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  123. cnnuser

Why does every actress have to be pretty. Let's face it most people are average looking anyway so let the movies reflect that. Why is it okay for men to look like "what the cat dragged in" but women must be drop dead gorgeous? Look at William H. Macy, Lyle Lovett, Tom Hanks and Randy Quaid just to name a few....

May 12, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  124. Ted

She does have a bit of a horse-face, not nearly as bad as Sarah Jessica Parker, though!

May 11, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  125. don

I always thought she was a butterface.

May 11, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  126. pete

She may be ugly but I love her two oscars and that beautiful bank account.

May 11, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  127. wr

What, like she was lying? The chick is notably ugly.

May 11, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Lea

Kim Masters is ugly, because of her statement, if you have to resort to insulting your guest, no wonder you have a radio show and not a TV show!!!!!

May 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Be Quiet

Funny that the person calling someone "not pretty" has a career in RADIO.

May 11, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  130. john

I would take Hilary on a date any time. I would be very proud to walk along side with her.

But if she is married or have a boyfriend, i will pass then. I date only single women. Sorry Hilary.

May 11, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Haz

Meryl Streep is a good looking woman.

May 11, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  132. beautyis

Hey Hilary, I'd be honored and flattered to have you at my side on any occasion. You're gorgeous.

May 11, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Vee

That 'host' should be fired–after issuing her an apology.

May 11, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  134. mark in nyc

hillary's response.....i have 2 academy awards. what do YOU have, you biotch?????

May 11, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Tobias Merriweather

I personally think that she's beautiful, the picture that has been added to this blurb isn't that fetching buuut I think that she's a 10 out of 10.

May 11, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  136. HaHaHa

Kim Masters looks like a tranny. Where does she get off?

May 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  137. xrk9854

Yay! Way to put that reporter in their place. Good response Hilary!

May 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  138. diego

Nothing a paper bag won't fix. BOOYAH!

May 11, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Kevin

Come on people...she was saying "pretty" girl...

May 11, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  140. ieat

I think this actually gives them more roles. Pretty girls can only play pretty girls. When is the last time you see Angelina Jolie play any other characters? When Angelina Jolie gets into her 40s, she will not be able to play the bad-a$$ chick nor can she play a pretty damsel in distress or any role like that either, while Hilary can play roles that are not restricted by looks but character.

May 11, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Shooter

Hey Kimmy... he who hasn't sinned cast the first stone babe... learn it... read it... abide by it... you rude cow!!!

May 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Richard Allen

I think the radio host was trying to say that Hilary isn't your average glamor girl in Hollywood. It just came out really rude. Hilary played it off nicely though. Class act.

May 11, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Alex

I guess Hilary heard what she wanted to hear. Although, I gotta agree with the radio host. She is NOT a pretty girl.

May 11, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Holy Frijoles

It's not that she heard what she wanted to hear–she just did a super job at rescuing the interview from becoming something ugly, which she is not. She had to think fast and respond quickly. I can't believe the interviewer would say such a thing. No tact, no class. Maybe Kim Masters is in the habit of being nasty in the comments sections like some of you and forgot for the moment that she's not anonymous when she's on the air. Rude is rude, whether or not you're anonymous. Hilary is not an Anjelina Jolie type, but she is very pretty, makes fabulous choices for red carpet time, and she's a wonderful actress. The haters out there wouldn't say one negative word to her face, but they certainly know how to spill their poison here.

May 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really?

Ok am I the only one that thinks Jolie isn't that great to look at? Everyone has types... I can't get past Jolie's lips, to me it looks bad. Hillary on the other hand is actually more my type, seems like someone you'd actually meet.

IMO there are way 'uglier' people in hollywood than Hillary. One has spent 4 Mil on plastic surgery look her up if you dare but she has been referred to as a villian from thundercats her name is Jocelyn Widenstein. Now that is like going from humans to monsters but I know people like lil kim, so maybe look at what she's like now. I question your sanity if you can call hillary ugly, and still use the same term for lil kim or Jocelyn Widenstein.

May 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Lalo

That's probably why Kim works on the radio. She probably has a face for it, huh?

May 11, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

Yes, all people who work in radio do it because they are too ugly for TV, known fact.

May 11, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  145. jb1963

And this from someone who is fugly. What a joke.

May 11, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Pat Beck

I've always thought she looked like Matt Damon.

May 11, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  147. sarah

what a classy response. Not only was she joking and down to earth, but she tried to bail out kim.

May 11, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  148. James

What?! That woman is hot!

May 11, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Robert

Speaking as a guy with 58 years experience in this field; Hilary, you are gorgeous, inside and out, don't let anybody say you're not. I know what I'm talking about.

May 11, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  150. v

So what's the name of the host and where can I find him?

May 11, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Oman

I think Hilary is quite attractive, she isn't a beauty queen but she's far from ugly (that goes for Meryl too). I also think she can and should go kick the crap outta Kim Masters... ;)

May 11, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Ty

'Cause Kim Masters knows that only exceptionally gorgeous people work on radio...

May 11, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • lwilrey

I agree, Kim Masters is probably a real ugly person herself. She is ugly for saying that about an Oscar Winner, Kim Masters is nothing compared to Hilary, NOTHING!

May 11, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  153. jloome

Morons, she's referring to her not being a "stereotypically pretty but dumb" actress, a "pretty girl." It's a complement. People really are dumber than sacks of hammers these days.

May 11, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • badcyclist

My thought exactly– it's the equivalent of telling a guy he's not just a "prettyboy." There is no story here at all– just a purposefully misleading headline.

May 11, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scratch

"Dumber than sacks of hammers"...do you mean that as a compliment?

May 11, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lola R.

Perhaps....but whereas a man would find it a complement to be told they're not a "prettyboy", I have yet to met a woman who feels flattered to hear that they're not a pretty girl. The DJ showed absolute lack of class in making this comment and should have known better and have chosen her words more wisely.

May 12, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  154. matt

the host of the radio show is jealous cause only ugly people are on the radio .that s why the host is on the radio shes ugly.

May 11, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  155. joey clamz

I should be so lucky to have a woman that "not pretty" on my arm.

May 11, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  156. BEN DOVER

Hey Kim Masters, you really shouldn't be commenting on anyones look, have you checked a mirror out lately?

May 11, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Kren

Kim Masters is extremely thoughtless and rude. Was she projecting her own insecurity? Check out a photo of her, I'd say it was a pretty nervy remark.

May 11, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iris

I agree with you Kren and think that lady was projecting her insecurities ....but sound it mean and unkind...kind of bitter.

May 11, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • bambianne

Kim Masters wasn't being rude although it seems many people think it came off that way. Obviously in Hollywood, if they can't get the pretty star for the role, the want her "type". Many a producer will say, get me a Halle Berry type or Megan
      Fox type. No one is saying Hillary of Meryl are ugly, but they get roles not because they're pretty but because they have depths of talents very few people will ever know or possess. No casting director or producer wants someone who looks like Meryl Streep, they want someone who can act like Meryl Streep.

May 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sold Mold, TX

Kim Masters: Plastic Surgery Disasters 7 on FOX? Seriously, her face is kinda incongruous.

May 13, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Minorkle

I am that ugly

May 11, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  159. The truth

Let's get real, the woman has a face of a horse on her good angle. But that body? Makes you forget all about the face.

May 11, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bebe

that's awful. she may not be drop dead gorgeous as jolie but she is NOT ugly

May 12, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Betzthegr8

FINALLY someone says it out-loud. She's seriously ugly and I've always thought so. I HATE how these actresses who aren't even attractive walk around trying to look and act as if they are! FACE YOUR FACE dammit (lol)

May 11, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

Settle down. Now you can move on to other pointless causes.

May 11, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • strongbelief2

Hey – anyone can buy a bottle of hair dye and turn their hair blond. They can also get all kinds of surgery to look 'cute". I am so glad some women don't feel they have to all look the same- like they came out of a cookie cutter!

May 11, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • EggYolks

No ones born with the face they want and even if she was ugly whats the point in walking around feeling like crap? Why not have some confidence?

May 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Look in a mirror

Have you bothered to look in a mirror lately ?? I'll bet you are mutt ugly ... your face must match your mouth.
      Stupid comments only serve to make YOU look like a complete fool. Good job moron!

May 11, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Bones

"Ugly" comes more from within than from a person's physical appearance, though, don't you think?

What I mean is: congratulations, you're ugly as all hell.

May 12, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

What is the purpose for such a insensitive, thoughtless, stupid statement? So because she's not attractive she's suppose to give up, crawl in a corner and not even try to look good? We should all be looking at the heart of a person because that’s what makes them beautiful. Your statement is senseless, mindless, vain and shallow all the qualities that make of the sub-human that is you!

May 12, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Aunt B

So agree – always thought she was so hard to look at – and that's why her husband left!

May 12, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buster Bloodvessel

Plenty of beautiful girls can't act. I mean seriously can't act enough to do a toilet paper commercial. Try it sometime; it's difficult.

May 12, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Bold, Texas

I agree! Your statements are more ugly than anyone could be physically. Try inviting something positive into your life instead of attacking someone you don't know over a very minor facet of who they are.

May 13, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Cho, the concept of inner beauty was invented by ugly people so they could feel better about themselves.

May 15, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray

Hey James... Cho has a point... and I'm betting you fell out of the ugly tree or know someone you think is beautiful that did cause really it is those people that coined the phrase, so they wouldn't seem like jerks

May 17, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Josie

Well, if you look at anybody long enough, they stop looking pretty or handsome.

May 11, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matthew

To me, when I look at someone, anyone, I eventually see their beauty.

May 11, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott B

I've known my wife for close to 6 years, and I believe she only gets more and more beautiful every day :-)

May 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom Ador

Kim is just jealous that someone who is not pretty is so famous and making a hundred times more money than her.

May 12, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • RobininTexas

Perhaps you should look through less critical eyes and more of an open heart??

May 12, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  162. Vivian

I would have had to hear the way it was said and the influctuation in her voice to make a real determination. However, with that said, just reading what the dj said seems rather uncalled for and rude. Granted, she's not gorgeous but she's certainly not ugly.

May 11, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Looking at the pics it's the pot calling the kettle black. No wonder Kim is in radio, she has the face for it.

May 12, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • wzrd1

As you said, it depends on context and infection. I say things to my wife in fun that would get many men a knife in their ribs. But, she and I have been together for a long, long time and our playful jabs sound like the old Lockhorns comic strip.

May 12, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • C. McPoopin

How is it that neither one of you could use the right word? The word you are looking for is 'inflection'. Do you not spell check or proof-read yourselves after mashing your hands on the keyboard?

May 12, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dilmer

Influcuation? Is that in the Sarah Palin Dictionary, along with refudiate?

May 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • SpellingPolice

I'm glad that others noted the issue with "influctuation". Isn't it grand to live in a society where we make up our own words? I think I'd rather put random people to the test with "What's the difference between flammable, inflammable, and non-flammable?"

May 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gretchen

Vivian, you are SO right. Sounds like kimmy needs a job where all she has to ask is "Do you want fries with that?"

May 16, 2011 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  163. Lennie Ross

I agree Nadine, that radio chick must be blind, and she's got a great body too!

Lennie Ross

May 11, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  164. EM

That was a little rude. Doesnt sound like she meant it as an insult though.

May 11, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geoffrey

No, she had enough class not to act that way. It was insulting, it lacked gallantry and it was cheap.

May 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Nadine

I wish I was that ugly.

May 11, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Navigator

I HEARD that!

May 11, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ballson Chinn

She looks a little like Sandra Bernhard.

May 12, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Lexy-b

I wish i was that 'ugly' too. Now Sandra Bernhard is UGLY to the bone!

May 12, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • James

I thought she was pretty in the Next Karate Kid.

May 12, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • anon

Kim Masters should know, she has a face for radio

May 12, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Peeps

She is ugly. Nothing wrong with that. Just a fact.

May 12, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolominnesota

Great comment, I agree!

May 12, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim Williams

I totally have a thing for her!!! That blue dress she wore when she received her Oscar has a permanent place in my head.

May 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • collin

met and worked with in slc years ago... real, pretty and shatters the most beautiful women Ive met.

May 12, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phi Davies, Grants Pass, OR

The reporter probably doesn't look much better than an old shoe.

May 13, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Old Bold

I'd rather be ugly than be a radio host!

May 13, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Missy

neither are you, Kim

May 14, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • tk217

She is ugly.

May 15, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roy

Tim I hear you!! She is not beautiful in the Hollywood sense, but she is really attractive and has a sort of magnetic quality about her.

May 16, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • JBBW

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think she is beautiful.

May 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brig

I think Kim Masters is a jealous idiot. Hilary is stunning and talented and so is Meryl Streep Why don't people get there is so much more to beauty than having the perfect features, model-like features. It is the whole package that makes a person beautiful. This culture is so shallow it makes me sad.

May 20, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • alan

nice dsl's too I'd hit it , so let's see who called her ugly I wanna see what they look like Hilary if u read this baby, I wouldnt kick you out of my bed at all !

June 3, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  166. The Truth

dude don't tell anybody I told you this, might come as a huge shock. But you're a racist imbecile.

May 11, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Bebe

this is the most racist comment ever. so what if she does??? am sure it ticks you off that obama is president. get a life

May 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |