Jillian Michaels to adopt a child from the Congo
May 11th, 2011

Jillian Michaels to adopt a child from the Congo

"The Biggest Loser" star Jillian Michaels is about to make her baby dreams a reality. The tough trainer is in the process of adopting a child from the Congo.

"My dossier, which is your paperwork portfolio, is in to the Democratic Republic of the Congo," Michaels, who announced in December that she was leaving "The Biggest Loser" to focus on becoming a mom, tells Us Weekly.

"So the paperwork is done, and now it’s just a waiting game. It could be six months, twelve months; it could be two years. Or, it could be tomorrow! They call you and they say, 'Oh, we have your referral,' which is essentially the child they match you up with, and you go overseas and you get him or her."

Michaels, who is set to become a co-host on "The Doctors" and a special correspondent for "Dr. Phil," has long said she planned to go the adoption route rather than have a biological child.

"I'm going to adopt," she told Women's Health magazine last spring. "I can't handle doing that to my body. Also, when you rescue something, it's like rescuing a part of yourself."

1. why did you allow her to do that...

we protected the theater...NOTHING CHANGES...SEE YOU SOON.

February 6, 2013 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. iexploreexec

12 more actions performed–brillo will help

January 3, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mulberry bag

Even if someone doesn‘g adore you states it all long for them in order to really,doesn‘g really mean people don‘g adore you boost they've already.
    mulberry bag http://www.uggbootsuksalecheaps.co.uk/

November 22, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tara

I just have to say, I am in the process of adopting internationally, I am not a celebrity and I don't get any press for my adoption. I tried to adopt from the states for years and lost more than one baby because the birth mother changed her mind. The heartbreak and uncertainty of domestic adoptions became unbearable. We wanted nothing more than to adopt domestically.

June 22, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Teri

I can see it now........Jillian to the baby.." DROP NOW AND GIVE ME 5!" " GO GO GO...YOUR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH"! Poor kid....She just doesn't strike me as the motherly type.

May 12, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. m

All you people who say she has endometriosis. You know this cause oh, she says so?

Women with endometriosis usually have terrible monthly cycles. Debilitating pain, vomiting, diarrhea. They are homebound.

Doesn't sound like Jillian.

May 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gje

I adopted a family members baby and it was expensive @ 14,000.00 because we were releated in the 3rd degree! The child needs a home so who cares if the child is from the US, Canada, the Congo or Mars for that matter. I also think some people who have adopted need to come down from their "how great I am" soap box. I bet if we were able to hear or read the entire unedited interview things would be heard in a whole different way! Who cares if she is straight, gay or bi..a child is getting a family. OH..by the way, the child will not know it is from another country until it is time to understand and I am sure that Jillian will have the resources to return to show the child his/her heritage. And why is it anyones business if she decided to adopt rather than go thru pregnancy due to medical issues. I applaud her for giving a child a home instead of risking losing a fetus (oh – that's a growing baby)!! GROW UP people

May 12, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sandy

Another sickee making women all over look bad, and set them back a few decades. Her comments let you know she knows nothing about the mother/child thing – she's worried about her body?? Oh yea sure, she'll make a great Mom....I feel sorry for the baby. She can just keep her precious body and give the kid a break and let him be. Just another screwed up women looking for some publicity and photo ops. She doesn't have a clue – she'll probably give it back once she sees what it takes to think about someone else other than yourself. What's with these women who are looking to fill some void, and think that raising someone else's child will make them a decent person??? Not a chance – all good mothers know what this is really about.

May 12, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • naomi

Whats wrong with not wanting to wreck your body? Women are not just breeders and at least she is adopting a child and giving her a home people are so damn judgmental its her CHOICE!

February 6, 2013 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. paul

Rescueing????What are kids from the Congo like dogs?

May 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. starvin marvin

Im poo poo-ing.

May 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MAOverlund

Wait a minute...the only reason she's adopting is because she "couldn't handle doing that" to her body? What? I've had two kids and look fine. Considering her job is fitness, you'd think she'd understand as long as you take care of yourself and work out, your body won't go to crap. Even though I don't completely agree with her reasoning, I'll keep doing her fitness videos anyway.

May 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. anonymous

I can understand if you adopt a child for the right reasons, but this idiot? When you adopt "something,"?! A child isn't something. He/she is a small human being who requires love and nurturing, not celebrity status. And you can't do that to your body? Just goes to show how self-absorbed you really are. She's gross. Period.

May 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. m

She is so afraid of pregnancy and delivery. She has body issues as well as other issues. She should really talk to someone about it.

I fear a child of hers will be put on a restrictive diet and encouraged/forced to exercise excessively.

I hope she has been given a thorough evaluation.

May 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lisa

Adopting in the USA is so easy – it kills me to see folks adopting out of the country!!!
    I adopted my perfect little girl at 14 months through Social Services – she was a foster child for the 1st year while the courts and agencies were processing the papers. The entire adoption fee was $75.00 for me to have an Aids test to make sure I was healthy –
    There is no reason in the world to go outside America to adopt. So many children are desperate for a forever home! You do realize that many of these foster homes are filled with sick people who only want the $$$.
    No reason to be worried about parents resuming rights IF you choose a child that has had the parental rights stripped away – which is what I did. OR you can wait and adopt a child that is at least 6 months old, so that parental door has been closed.

COME ON PEOPLE – RAISE AWARENESS – THE USA IS DESPERATELY LOOKING FOR WONDERFUL PARENTS FOR THESE CHILDREN !!

A blessed Mom indeed -

May 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Copy girl HLN

I think it's really sad when they live in the US and can't find a baby worth adopting in there on states they deserve love and a life just as much as a international child

January 3, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Naomi

But the adoptive parents can also change their minds in the US and who wants to keep going through that?

February 6, 2013 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ern

I would adopt from an African country before I would adopt from the US. How many kids in the US live in mud huts? How many US kids are child soldiers? How many are living in the streets? How many lose their parents to AIDS and murder as compared to third world countries? How many US kids have been HUNTED and EATEN as a casualty of WAR?? Being an orphan in the US is definitely not a good thing, but at least orphans here in the US are fed, clothed, cared for, and kept safe medically and (somewhat) mentally. All of you complaining about her adopting from the Congo SHOULD BE SENT THERE.

May 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Ern

She is adopting a child that obviously needs parents, a home and someone to love him or her. There is nothing negative at all about this article, yet more than half of you are making negative bs comments about her or her decision left & right. Maybe you should take a look at yourselves before complaining about her. There's got to be something wrong with you to hate on someone that is doing something selfless and admirable. Also, make sure to save each other a seat next to the a.c. in hell.

May 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • HAL9000

Here's a NEWS FLASH for you: ALL orphans need parents.

This question here is why do celebs go outside of their own backyard to adopt them? Aren't domestic kids just as valuable as foreign ones?

May 12, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ern

HAL9000: News Flash: DUH. So if domestic kids are as valuable as foreign ones, then foreign ones are as valuable as domestic kids, right? Then why does it matter where she adopts a child from? It seems you are insinuating that the domestic ones are more valuable than foreign ones if you're unhappy that she isn't adopting on from the US.

May 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • HAL9000

"Selfless" and "admirable?"

This story is for public consumption. She arranged it that way. Had it been a quiet matter, then I would agree. But this is just a "look at how wonderful I am" publicity stunt.

May 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greenwoodgirl

Hal, many folks choose to adopt internationally because it completely cuts ties from the childs natural roots and culture. They are afraid that, if information was made available, the child may later develop a relationship with the birthmother, which may potentially confound their role in the child's life while, in some cases, also present a harsh reminder to the adoptive parents that they do not have this special blood tie. Many are projecting their own insecurities on the adoption placement rather than putting the child's needs first.

May 12, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ern

HAL9000: How is this a "look how wonderful I am" story??? It sounds to me like she was interviewed by Us Weekly and she told them she was adopting a baby from the Congo. How is that bragging? That's what's going on in her life. That's big news, and she should have the right to brag about it if she wants, which it doesn't sound that way to me. Pregnant women get lots of attention and are quite excited and people are for them, which is perfectly fine, why can't she be happy and excited and even brag about adopting a child? First it was cause she's not adopting here in the US, now she's making it all about her, are you even sure what you're upset about? :)

And yes, selfless to take care of someone's child whose parents either can't or won't take care of – regardless of where the child comes from. And yes, admirable that she is that selfless.

May 12, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ern

I give up. You know what I say to my boyfriend when he's said something so deeply false and unknowledgeable that it makes my brain hurt and eyes cross? I say, "You're absolutely right". Well, Hal and Greenwoodgirl – you two are absolutely 100% fricken right. You can't get no righter.

May 12, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. HAL9000

Cant handle doing that to her body? Last I checked pregnancy was a natural human function. But I'm not surprised...cant expect much in the way of "substance" from this androgynous freak who is so hooked on "appearance" that she markets it to the sheeple as "health."

BTW, celebs adopting foreign kids is just a way of making themselves thinking there is something human about themselves by purchasing righteousness and compassion. Usually they have nothing to do with the kid and hire a nanny to take care of them 24/7. Another reason why they choose not to adopt from the US, as in her case, is that an English speaking, American kid can talk and communicate effectively with the outside world/social services about their life and everyday expereinces.

A foreign kid wouldn't know where to start.

May 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  18. LK2

TWO strikes against her! 1) there are PLENTY of children right here on our own soil that need a home. WHY do people adopt from foreign countries, rather than their own? And 2) "she don't want to do that to her body". Oh, is she afraid she might put on a pound to give a life to this world? One that will have her own blood, and possibly look like her? That's a pretty selfish reason NOT to have kids! Why is it that women who WANT kids, can't, and women who CAN won't because they might gain weight? I can't stand her anyway, because I think she is way too brutal on the heavy people on her show. You do NOT have to treat people like that to get them to make an accomplishment. I pity her kid if it gains 2 ounces!

May 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Wow

Wow you people are a bunch of judgmental jerks. Why don't you have a public interview about your children and how you have screwed them up? In that interview may we talk about your body and how well or not well it is at reproduction? In that interview I want to talk about the person you are with and all the people you have dated in the past. When the interview is finished bits and pieces of that interview can be posted online and then hundreds of people can make similarly hurtful remarks about your private life.

May 12, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  20. The Fat Pigs Are Out!!

Wooo weee look at all the women that are hating on the lady because she can't have a baby because of medical issues. Dumb a$$e$ she said so in a previous magazine article. All you women that are hating on this lady got to be fat, disgusting hogs! Put down the bacon, cheese and sausage sandwich that you inhale everyday and stop hating because she has a better body than you fat cows!! You can always tell a fat ugly cow by the hate they throw out at another woman that's 100 percent better looking than them.

May 12, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lol

I do believe you are correct!

May 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • LK2

Pigs, she says right here in this article she won't have a baby because "she can't see putting her body through that". She does NOT mention for medical reasons! If she had, that would be a whole different story! But it still doesn't excuse her adopting from another country rather that her own where there thousands of children needing a home as well!

May 12, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rock

Wow, I thought for sure this would drag a comment out of Valerie. Maybe she is still arguing with her daughter since she stole the new boyfriend since the daughter was better looking.

May 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jerermy

Shouldnt adoption be about loving a child instead of being about not wanting to miss up your body. A mother should be willing to love enought to risk all for her child. (This includes fathers too!) Should someone who wont risk a stretch mark be a mother or is this someone who needs to get a gold fish. That is why shie is going out of the country, American wouldnt let her. She is not qualified!!!!!

May 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aliza Rain

So how do you know it's about stretch marks? Actually from what I understand Jillian has a "female condition" that would make pregnancy and child birth difficult if at all possible. Please don't assume things from the limited information you're given.

May 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. wooly booger

I bet she has enough wool between her legs to knit a sweater.

May 12, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Anna

Does anyone who commented know anything about domestic adoption?! In the US you get a newborn. You work with the birthparent(s) and they are 99% of the time placed when discharged from the hospital. Older children are in FOSTER CARE and we are talking mostly teenagers. Yes, you can adopt from foster care, but the goal of foster care is to reunite the child with their biological parents. Most often, foster parents lose the child after a year or years of caring for him/her. So please, before you ask why go overseas, take the time to learn about the actual process!

May 12, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Keep it in your pants

ZERO children born in 2012 should be the goal.

May 12, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Hugh_Jasol

I just farted

May 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  26. sean

you hate when Americans go outside of the US to adopt?? Maybe if it wasn't so hard to adopt in the US. In some states, if you are single and/or gay (which i think Jillian is both) you are pretty much denied, meanwhile the kid is shipped from one foster home to another. the adoption/foster care system in the US sucks.

May 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  27. kasey

We adopted internationally because it was a 5 year wait where we lived to adopt domestically. We also wanted a closed adoption, which is virtually impossible to obtain in the U.S. anymore unless you do a private adoption, which is always iffy. We'd had 2 friends with 5 failed private adoptions between them, and we didn't want to risk that. It is a lot of red tape and expense, but in the end, with an internationally adoption we had a closed adoption within 6 months, compared to the 5 years we'd have had to wait through the foster care system.

May 12, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greenwoodgirl

I find it very sad that your motivation to adopt internationally was fear. What is the harm of the child knowing about and being exposed to their natural roots and culture? The child is not a commodity; s/he is not 'yours.' You child will always have two mothers. It makes me really sick that anyone would intentionally seek a closed adoption as they are clearly not putting the needs of the child first in any way, shape, or form.

May 12, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ern

Greenwoodgirl: She adopted a child. She is obviously putting the needs of the child first: food, shelter, love, clothing, medical attention, schooling, etc.. It takes a great and unselfish person to take care of someone else's child and love it as their own. What's "sad" and "sick" is that you can't see that. Don't be in such a hurry to try to spin a positive situation into a negative one. It doesn't matter where the kid came from or how long it took, all that matters is that it's been done and God bless you for being a great person, Kasey.

May 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greenwoodgirl

Actually, it does matter where the kid came from as that child's genetic roots may dictate personality traits, habits, interests and physical appearance that will likely differ from the adoptive parents. Do you know many adoptees who don't question "where did I come from?" It is their birthright to know where and from whom they appeared on this earth. I agree that a child needs all of the basics (food, shelter, love), but intentionally cutting them off from their own history due to an adult's insecurities is sad.

May 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ern

Greenwoodgirl: Why would you assume that a person would maliciously cut the child off from their own history? I plan to adopt and if I can, I'd prefer to adopt internationally, and it has absolutely nothing to do with cutting the child's link to their history. I would very much like to know the child's family and origin and home country and would make best efforts to travel and learn about the culture as much as possible. And I do know at least two adoptees who ask, "Where did I come from?" – my mother and my uncle. And they were adopted in the US and still don't know their birth mothers or why they were given up or their medical history or anything. So it doesn't seem that it makes a difference where adoptees come from. And traits, interests, and characteristics are shaped just as much by environment as genetics.

May 12, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greenwoodgirl

Kasey indicated that s/he wanted a 'closed adoption' which is a leave-no-trace practice (as evidenced by the fact that your own relatives presumably do not have access to their original birth certificates or medical history). You should check out Journey of the Adopted Self by Betty Jean Lifton – it is a great read!

May 12, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. MAD DOG MULLIGAN

GUESS JILLIAN COULDNT FIND A MAN WHO COULD FIT IT IN THERE CAUSE ITS TOO TIGHT! AH HA AHA AHA HA

May 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Ben

Ugh.

If you want to rescue someone, become a paramedic, firefighter, policed officer, etc. If you want to rescue something go to an animal shelter. If you want to have a child join your family, adoption is one way to do that.

May 12, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Rock

Approval ratings just went up 3 full points – woot for dull publicity.

May 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  31. the_dude

I like how cnn points out the he has to adopt a baby. Duh...men cannot have babies on their own so of course a man would have to adopt a baby. I don't get it. why doesn't he just hook up with some hit celebrity lady and have a baby or do like the gays do and pay someone to have it for you. I don't see why he needs to go out fo the country.

May 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Angelfish

"I couldn't do that to my body". Did you catch that? She would prefer to "rescue" a child than get stretch marks. I worry about her being a parent, with logic like that...

May 12, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Heann

I can appreciate her logic. Nobody wants to look at that damage to the female body after pumping out a unit

May 12, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  33. myreply

That will be one fit, fat free kid!

May 12, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  34. Darkie

It's all the rage!!

May 12, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • sean

@Darkie? your screenname is not funny!!!!! you are probably ugly as sin anyways. moving on!

May 12, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heann

What? Darkie is the nickname for the Dark Knight right? And im good looking but cant speak for Darkie

May 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  35. SaneJamFifty

I don't know how every state handles adoptions in the U.S., but my sister is currently trying to adopt through DSS in SC. She has completed all the paperworks and background checks that she can do on her own. She has been waiting for over a year for DSS to send someone to do a home study, which is required before anything else can move forward. Even if someone wanted to give her their baby to preven it from going to foster care, she wouldn't be permitted by the state because of the ridiculous delays from DSS. She calls and emails them every month and has met with her case worker several times. At this point she has been told by DSS that they only have enough staff right now to do "emergency situation" home studies due to budget cuts....and the same economic issues plagueing the state are also causing more and more kids to need good homes. It's almost an impossible situation right now, and it makes me very sad for the kids and families trying to adopt.

May 12, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  36. Trey23

I tried to adopt domestically....My application was denied when I got a home visit and a rose bush was discovered in my backyard (it was in a flower bed up against the backside of my house)...Apparently, a 7 year old can be playing in the yard and fall into said rosebush and hurt themselves so that was cause for denial....who knew???

May 12, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  37. Steve

And to think that Sheryl Crow had the temerity to adopt two white kids instead of collecting fashion accessories. How hateful of her.

May 12, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  38. tommy_bejuco

jess
    nowhere on this article does it say she has conception issues. she clearly states that she couldn't do this to her body. sounds selfish to me.

May 12, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  39. Frost

Does she like guys? Seems like she could have easily "found" a guy (like me) to do it naturally (unless their are conception prolems.)

May 12, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  40. Brian

I heard she has medical issues why she cannot have a child. Fine. Calling a child something and not a person. Sounds to me like the child is an object a Hollywood status symbol and not human being.

May 12, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  41. SnuffleCheeks

I adopted a pet rock. It was abused by its former caretaker. I lost it in the back yard though :(

May 12, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  42. OMG

who is that selfish to say they cant handle a pregnancy?? Jillian are you that superficial and dont want to ruin your body with a pregnancy.. You are a moron.. If it is so easy to maintain a healthy lifestyle then do it during your pregnancy and after then you shouldnt have a problem.. you are moronic!

May 12, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Meh

As someone who was adopted, may I ask that you go jump off a cliff?
      Thanks
      PS. I wouldnt want her to ruin her body either

May 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  43. WLM

why is it a fad to adopt African Kids??? There are just as many kids in Amercia that she could have adopted!!!!!! It really does annoy me that the fad in Hollywood is to accesorize with black children from Africa....... Adopt your own American Kids!!!

May 12, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Woeful

The fad is adopting blacks, not just Africans.

May 12, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • kasey

I really get sick of people asking me why didn't I adopt and American kid. I'll tell you why. At least a 5 year wait where I lived at the time, and the possibility that an absentee parent can come back and get that child later, after we've become a family. Those of you that spout off about that should actually go try it sometime. It's not like going to the corner bakery and picking up a cake. We're now attempting to adopt our second child domestically, and we can't even get social services to return emails or phone calls. They're "too busy".

May 12, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  44. PH

she's adopting because she prefers the lick to the stick.

May 12, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  45. Stacey

To those who say adopting as a single person in the US is difficult, I say, try a different agency. I adopted and raised 4 children and I am as single as I was on the day I was born. The first one was from a private agency and it took less than 6 months, which I know is NOT the norm. The other 3 were from the foster care system. My children came to me at 27 days of age, 2 days of age, 5 years old, and 6 years old. Not impossible to adopt a baby as a single woman in the USA. I have no idea why some people won't help children in the US. For some I think it's a status thing because it cost big bucks; for others it may be a personal mission to adopt a child from a foreign country; for others, there may be racial issues they haven't conquered. For all that do stand up for American children who need homes, I thank you.

May 12, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • kasey

Stacey, it's nice you could do that, be we, even as a married couple, were told it would be a 5 year wait to adopt domestically, even from the foster care system. So, we adopted internationally. We didn't want a newborn, we were willing to take an older child. Now, we're trying to adopt domestically and we can't even get the process started because DSS won't return phone calls or emails. We don't want a private adoption, just a child from the foster care system. I'd love to know what state you live in and how long ago it was that you adopted so we can contact them and see if they're willing to work with us.

May 12, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  46. @Sheri

I bet she would make a better mother than you you judgmental, hateful, jealous pig.

May 12, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  47. M@!

No one has asked the real question here, and that is 'Why?' Why is Jillian adopting? My guess would be her reproductive system has shut down due to all the exercise she does. It's something typically seen in gymnasts and anorexics. And let me tell you, Jillian is a goddess to anorexics. Coincidentally, she talks about weight loss being a balancing act w/your hormones in this interview – http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1897204,00.html. So, you go girl. Show 'em you can still starve yourself and be a mommy. Such inspiriation.

May 12, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Jess

anorexia, is far less of a problem than OBESITY! Jillian has helped far more people than you have youre in NO position to judge anyone.
      endometriosis is a real issue, and does not only target women who exercise..
      and if OBESITY was in your family, I am pretty sure you would chose exercise over stuffing your face- IF you cared at all about your health...

May 12, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  48. tommy_bejuco

if you're not willing to sacrifice your body in order to have a child, then you are not ready to have a child. having a baby is easy, raising him or her is what's really hard.

May 12, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  49. tommy_bejuco

if you're not willing to sacrifice your body in order to have a child, then you are not ready for the sacrifice it takes to raise a child. having a baby is easy, raising him or her is what's really hard.

May 12, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Jess

You obviously know nothing about Jillian! how dare you make any nasty comments.. she can't carry a full term baby!
      you are no different then the media casting lies for fools like you to believe!

If you don't have anything nice to say, then DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!

CONGRATULATIONS JILLIAN!!!

May 12, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  50. ken

Hey Jillian,
    Congrats and I wish you and your child the best.
    Disregard the whiners and fools on here.
    I'm a former Marine and will train with you anyday !

May 12, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  51. snorting USA

Perhaps her adopting a nose job would be a better idea.

May 12, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  52. Ian

Since most Africans think eating one anothers doo doo is a delicacy then this kid wont like America.

May 12, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  53. El KaBong

We dont need anymore "Congos" over here.

May 12, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  54. Sheri

First let me say if you "can't handle doing that to your body" can you really handle being a Mom???? And, second it isn't a "referal" it is a child !!!! Most importantly – you adopt children, you rescue pets. This woman is clueless and I don't think she truly grasps what being a Mother/Parent really means. Heaven help the child!

May 12, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  55. Adeles big butt

I wouldnt adopt anything from that disease ridden hell hole, Africa.

May 12, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  56. MA

Did she call her future son/daughter "something" ?...... Adopting because she does "not want to ruin her body", and finally "rescuing a part of yourself"............. Talking about having/adopting a child for the wrong reasons!!! HOW SELFISH

May 12, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  57. Rayray

The whole world is our backyard, let's stop narrowing it down to this country alone and drawing boundaries. Shall we? In this country, it is illegal for us to dump orphaned children on the side of the road without birth records, medical records, family history and such. In other countries, it is such a common practice it is normal to see children, especially with medical problems, living on the sides of polluted streets, pedaling items, and living ontop of garbage dumps picking out anything they can sell to stay alive. They have no idea of who they are, where they come from, or how old they are. Just because they come from the other side of the world doesn't make them any more foreign to us than our own neighbor. Because we are all human, living on planet earth, it is still our backyard, and these are still our children.

May 12, 2011 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  58. pawnslop

If she adopted a white, hillbilly orphan from West Virginia, THAT would have shown some real guts and real social conscience. Instead, she's getting her politically correct toy from Africa just like all the other Hollywood trend followers. An African baby is the new tiny-dog-in-the-purse for these women.

May 12, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  59. Silly Silly

I like the way she put "rescue something". She is not going to the pound to rescue and animal! This is a child, not an "it". What is going to do? Go around saying the child is rescued!? Oh well, at least the child will have a home.

May 12, 2011 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  60. jake

Most adopt overseas because they don't want a baby exposed to drugs or alcohol. With the exception of Eastern Europe, babies adopted internationally maybe small and malnurished, but they won't have the developmental issues associated with fetal drug and/or alcohol exposure. The process of international adoption is so much about determining if the kid is healthy, doctors charge thousands to consult on referrals, it's such a sick process, rich foreigners using even more money to 'buy' a healthy kid.

May 12, 2011 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
    • kasey

Jake, you're absolutely clueless about why people adopt internationally, and until you've done it, you should really keep your opinions and misinformation to yourself. People do it because, instead of waiting years, they can add a child to their family in months. Also, children here get a chance at life in foster care systems. They have college tuition provided (at least in our state) and a monthly stipend. Children in other countries, especially Eastern Europe, live in orphanages until they are 16, when they are kicked out with no eduation and no means of support. Most end up dying before they're 20, having to resort to selling drugs or their bodies to get by. THAT'S why most of us adopt from there, not as a status symbol.

May 12, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Wendy

It's incredible how many of you are simply judging her without knowing squat about her. Have you considered the fact that she has medical issues that would make it difficult for her to carry a baby? Did it ever occur to any of you that what she supposedly said was taken out of context, or that she simply misspoke? I wonder what it's like to be perfect like so many of you seem to be!

May 12, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  62. Brenda

As the mother of 6 adopted children, I can tell you that it wasn't difficult to adopt American children. And, it wasn't expensive at all. My children were all infants. Some of them, I was able to bring home from the hospital. It didn't take years, either. We have so many children that need permanent, loving families. These celebrities really need to focus their energies on the children in their own back yard.

May 12, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  63. Another AC

The adoption process is ridiculously difficult here, and yet thousands of American children (mostly African American and biracial Black-White) have been adopted internationally– mostly Canada, Germany, and other northern European countries... it's a shame that it's easier for them to be adopted in places other than their home country.

May 12, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  64. muffin man

Hey she is too touch. I should have known she was bi. Nice body thou

May 12, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  65. TravelPro1

She is so Gorgeous! Too bad she can't find the right person to have a baby with!

May 12, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  66. Tom

Mary me Jillian.

May 12, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  67. AB

People are judging based on this article. FYI, you have to read between the lines. Just because someone writes something doesn't mean the information is all correct or not writen with a little creativity of their own. Clearly if you know who Jillian is or follow her work you would know that the writer using this quote "I can't handle doing that to my body. Also, when you rescue something, it's like rescuing a part of yourself." I think is being very disrespectful using it again. SHE NEVER SAID HAVING KIDS RUINS YOUR BODY PEOPLE! The writer in that article took what she said out of context because she didn't want to reveal her fertility issues and it started a firestorm. She has since talked about those issue publically because of it. It's a shame this writer even used that.

For those complaining about her adoping outside the US, Jillian has stated that she wants 2 kids. One she will adopt from outside US and one from the US. It was recommended to her to adopt outside US first. There is a reason for that as well. Do your homework before you judge. Don't believe everything you read.

May 12, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  68. Liam Bradshaugh

There is gonna be one screwed up kid...

May 12, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  69. Jess

Also, whether she adopts a baby from America or another country, it is not your place to judge. How does it affect you?

Either way a child is being saved from a bad situation, and they deserve a chance at life no matter what country they were born in..

May 11, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jess

@ CJ

"She said, "WHEN YOU RESCUE SOMETHING" That doesn't stick out? A kid, no matter what country it comes from, is not a thing... A child is not a possession. This is a little concerning."

----

She was talking blankly like when you adopt a dog, child, etc. I doubt she meant to call a baby a "thing." I do find it funny that in your argument against it, you yourself still use the word "it" as well. To make your point, you should have said "No matter which country HE or SHE comes from....

SO, i wouldn't judge her :)

May 11, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  71. MICHELE YUNCKER

HOW ABOUT A CHILD FROM THE GOOD OLD USA????????

May 11, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wendy

Why does it matter so long as a child is being saved? Is a child from the U.S. somehow more deserving than a child from the Congo?

May 12, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  72. Billy The Kid

I read some place that she dates men and women so that will make her bi. Now did you people get that and understand?

May 11, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Char

yeah there's plently of foster children in the us that need permant homes too. How can we help the world if we can't help ourselves?

May 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Jon

I amsick of all of the Hollywood types taht have to run all over the world to adopt, while there are hundreds of thousands of kids in this country that need adoption. I was adopted 64 years ago by GREAT parents that could not have their own children. I guess it would not make such big headlines to adopt an American child, or to run off to Africa to be a Doctor to the poor, while people in poor parts of America are dying also. CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME

May 11, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  75. stagz

Now that Bob is leaving the biggest loser, who is going to replace him? Oh thats Jillian? Ahhh, I always get them two dudes mixed up.

May 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Nancy

That's nice of her. I wish her all the best. A child, no matter where on earth it is born, it is still a child of God.

May 11, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Ted

I fear her face will frighten the infant.

May 11, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Beautiful Vixen

So big deal if she doesn't want to have a baby because she doesn't want to put her body through that and become fat as some of you bi**hes. Jeezes some of you women b**ch, moan, complain and are so negative all the time when another woman looks better than you. No wonder your men end up leaving your jealous, overbearing azzez.

May 11, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  79. jeff

This woman is losing her mind. I would be more than happy to father a child WITH her!

May 11, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  80. jeff

She is hot, I will give her that. She and Sandra Bullock can both relish in adopting and raisning these black babies. I do not understand why an attractive weathly white woman goes that route.

May 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • gje

REALLY! Why does it matter if she is a rich white woman adopting a black baby? She is giving a child something they could never imagine..a chance at life..Racist much?

May 12, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Lori

As an adoptive mom to two wonderful girls from Russia, I can personally say what a wonderful and rewarding experience it is. I do not agree with her choice of words but I'm sure she is really wanting to be a mom and will be a great parent. I wish her all the best! Those of us in the adoption community should rejoice when anyone chooses to adopt a child either domestically or internationally. Domestic adoption is risky because there is the always real possibility that the biological parents will decide that they want "their child back".

I think that Jillian is to be commended that she is willing to give up a successful run with The Biggest Loser in order to give her child the love and attention he/ she needs. I can't believe that people are so judgmental!

May 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • sunsohot

well said. and how many of us know what it's like to be interviewed on such a personal subject, then have that interview picked over to select statements that may or may not stand alone.....she may very well have following up the "something" statement with a wry laugh and a "can't believe I said that" then correctly stated her true feelings.

May 11, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • testmo

stop spreading lies and hate. do you hate US kids and dont want them to be adopted or something? parents can not win their rights back. there is a legal appeal process which if you believe in democracy you should celebrate. this is not the same as tearing an adopted child out of the new family's arms. once the adoption papers are signed the adoption is solid and cannot be overturned. if an appeal is done the family has not been able to adopt.

you clearly dont know what you are talking about

May 11, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharon

As I said in my comment, she thinks she is "rescuing something". That is not a reason to adopt a CHILD – it is a reason to adopt a puppy. You as an adoptive parent should know this.

May 12, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  82. G

Did she really say: When you rescue "something"? Wow, a child is a real person Jillian, even a child from Congo. Not something. You're going to bring this child to a strange country, you need to think of the child, not of how great it will be for your Karma, since you rescued "Something". Ok you're adopting rather than get pregnant, you once were overweight, you believe you risk gaining too much weight but look, parenthood is all about the child, not you. right? Remember that all the time. PLease!

May 11, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  83. jeff

I hope the child is not black.

May 11, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  84. giselle m

it nice to give that little child an oportunity to have a good mother and to be in a safe environment,when most do not have and wich do. but it won't be good if you adopt just to take the child as something because it's someone.

May 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Sharon

Dear God! As an adoptive parent, but also a human being – how disgusting, completely disgusting that she thinks she is "rescuing something". Not even someONE. I can't imagine how she got through the home study process with that thought in her head. All adoptive parents are ambassadors for the way we choose to build our families and this woman has no clue. God help the child if he/she ever finds out that this woman did this to "rescue it". Those of us in the very large adoptive community tell people that if they want to "rescue" or "save" someone to either sponsor a child or rescue a dog. Children do not need rescuing they need forever families.

May 11, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  86. turd

lets all hold hands and sing kum byah,yeh cant spell it for good reasons.Who fricking cares

May 11, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Johnjon

why is it I think this poor child will be signing a book deal on it's 18th birthday?

May 11, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Robyn

"when you rescue something, it's like rescuing a part of yourself."

As an adoptive mother. I am deeply offended.

May 11, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  89. john

Maybe if she ate a burger she could menstrate

May 11, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  90. John

She's a racist. She puts herself up on a pedestal for "rescuing" a "poor" baby from the Congo. How high and mighty she is, rescuing us poor black folk! And she's rescuing a part of herself? From what, herself? Well, with that logic in mind, perhaps she shouldn't be rescuing any babies at all, especially if she has to rescue herself from herself. I hate self-congratulating white people who pat themselves on the back for all the "nice things they do for us poor black folk." I really do–I'd rather have a honest racist than a dishonest one.

May 11, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • LEB

There are white people in Africa, too, you know. There are people of Arabian descent, too. So who's racist now?

May 11, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I'l bet you $40,000,000 that the baby she adopts from the Congo is black. I *dare* you to take that bet. Do you really believe you'd win that one??? Really?

May 11, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kurt

I hate when people (white, black, purple) quote words that were never used to support their argument. I didn't see her use the word "poor" anywhere in that article. And why is it racist for her to "rescue" a child from another country. Im just going to assume that since the child is up for adoption, that it could actually use a home. I guess you would rather she not adopt a child that is in need of a good home? Not saying she is a saint, and I have no idea what her motives are, but Im going to assume her motive is to adopt a child and have a family. Not "rescue" a ""poor"" black baby from another country to impress all the black people in the world, since Im sure she doesnt care too much about what you think of her.

May 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  91. TS

As an adoptive Mom myself the comment that she's 'rescuing' something leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Additionally, to all of you saying "Why not just adopt from the U.S.?" can I ask how many children have YOU adopted from the U.S? The road of adoption is a personal one... just like any other means to grow a family. You don't ask a couple who used fertility treatments why they did IVF vs a surrogate... b/c it's a very personal decision.

May 11, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • testmo

from my experience most of the families who chose international adoption versus domestic are for not the best reasons.

May 11, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • TS

testmo... I know MANY families who have adopted internationally, and the reasons are always personal, and what is best for their family... don't base you're assumptions on what celebrities are doing & saying about why they adopt. They are a minority in the adoption community.
      "All children need love, and a family. PERIOD" -Dave Thomas (Wendy's founder)

May 12, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  92. Whom

Did she just refer to her future Congo-adoptee a 'thing'? "when you rescue something, it's like rescuing a part of yourself."

May 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Astrid

I hope she learns through her adoption journey and education that no one should ever have to feel like they have been rescued by their adoptive parents. http://www.adoptionmosaic.org/the-adoption-constellation-magazine/ this would be a great place to start learning what forward thinking adopteees, adoptive parents and birth parents have to say about adoption. I hope she will buy a subscription :)

May 11, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  94. yeah

She is helping someone. Pretty nice.

May 11, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Jake

Guess adopting an American baby doesn't get enough press. Have to go across the world to 'rescue' a baby. Too bad rescuing an older American child from foster care isn't considered 'cool' in Hollywood. Many American kids need families, but they're not cute little babies.

May 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  96. cate

If your heart is open it doesn't matter where your child comes from, but I have a problem with "Also. when you rescue something..." What does that mean? This is a kid not a puppy.

May 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Bob Hamilton

Oh please. Why does it have to be a little baby from the Congo? I know that they need love and all, but aren't there any little crackheads here in the US she could adopt?

May 11, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  98. JRYDAF

She's a lez

May 11, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  99. turdhead

She strikes me as someone who would get what she sees as an ugly child and not go through with the adoption.

May 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Gretchen Van Poo

no ones addressing the issue that she might eat these babies.

May 11, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  101. jo mama

the fact that she is probably gay is another reason she probably isn't having a baby the old fashioned way,lol. i don't care if she's gay, i'm just sayin' that may have something to do with it.

May 11, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • sunsohot

get yourself informed and give the gay thing a rest. being gay has nothing to do with biologically producing a baby. she had serious medical issues that prevent her from giving birth and she wants to be a mom. leave her alone.

May 11, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Tango216

There aren't that many babies up for adoption in the U S.

Out-of-wedlock mothers are no longer scorned here.

Rather, maybe they are admired, like the trendy movie-stars who now do that.

The girls or womenwho produce babies in the U S are prone to keep them,

knowing that welfare is available to support them.

No welfare in the poor countries.

So that's why mothers there are more or less forced to hand over their babies to well-heeled Americans.

They want the best for their children.

May 11, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  103. 12know

It's not any of our business when, how or why she is adopting a child. For women under 30 who get pregnant, they are usually able to bounce back fairly soon afterwards. But for women around 35 or older, one does not bounce back as quickly and may end up with residual effects (wider waists, wider hips, protruding tummy, etc). Some women may say it's worth giving up your figure to have a child but I'm not so sure. As for U.S. adoption, the paperwork, investigation and time frame before adopting a child can be as long as ten years. One might become too old to be considered for adopting a child in that period of time.

May 11, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • LEB

She has medical reasons for not trying to have a biological child. Some women are willing to risk their health to have a baby, but it's no crime for a woman to prefer to adopt than to put herself in danger. What Jillian is doing is selfless and admirable. I wish more parents considered adoption as a FIRST option rather than a last resort.

May 11, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Dede kal-harp

As the adoptive mom for nine years of two sons from Korea, I am totally disgusted with this "celebrity's"comments. First and foremost she is not rescuing anybody. If anything, she is yanking a child from his or her culture and everything they know and traumatizing them and what are her preparations for keeping their culture alive in their life. Second, I agree with the above comments about her narcissistic biddy image.

May 11, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greenwoodgirl

You make a very good point. As an adoptee, I think the healthiest of adoptive families will both acknowledge and integrate the child's pre-adoptive history/culture in to their family's life. Why do many people adopt internationally? Because they are afraid of birthmothers and would like to cut off the child from any links back to their natural roots. When people stop living in fear and start to put the child's interest first (rather than treating the child like a commodity that can be traded and owned), adoption will be a sensible alternative to the child being raised outside of their birth family.

May 12, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  105. katty

WOW...I am all for adoption and I am glad that a child who otherwise might grow up without parents and a safe home will be taken care of...
    But her statement on why she is going to adopt is ridiculous. First of all, she can't handle doing that to her body? Its nature. If you eat properly and maintain a healthy workout regimin, your body can bounce back. And secondly..."When you rescue SOMETHING", she is speaking of a child as a thing... why not someONE?

Very strange statements.. I have never heard of her before and have no idea what she is like, but judging by these few lines she seems to be quite awful.

May 11, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • sunsohot

medical issues can make your decisions for you....she is unable to safely conceive and carry a child.

May 11, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Derrick

Katty...I agree. It seems as if she is going to the Congo to adopt a pet. That was a very revealing statement by Ms. Michaels.

May 12, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  106. kris

I believe i read somewhere that she has suffered from endimetriosis and that makes conceiving, pregnancy challenging.

May 11, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Adoptive Mom

Aaaand cue the chorus of "people should adopt US kids". Unless you've been through it, don't judge, and until yiu REALLY research the topic, don't comment. Also? To Vivian: I waited over five years for my referral from a foreign country. The US would certainly have been faster; sadly, the "red tape" is not an excuse. Another thing to take into consideration: Children EVERYWHERE deserve a family; American children are not the only ones who need a loving home.

May 11, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rhetoric

Since all children are equal, and American ones closer why not choose them then?

May 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • testmo

by "red tape" you mean the US requires GASP background checks? in working in adoptions i was always amazed how angry people would get when we asked for their consent to run criminal history.

May 11, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adoptive Mom

Wow, Testmo. If you truly "worked in adoption", then you would most definitely be familiar with the Hague Convention and the fact that ALL adoptive parents undergo *extensive* background checks. In fact, the background checks for international adoption are incredibly thorough; more so than their domestic counterparts, in fact. International prospective adoptive parents must complete local, state, AND federal background checks, complete with fingerprint checks with USCIS. The red tape ISN'T an excuse, as I've already stated. Sadly, you need to get your facts straight. Xenophobia is an ugly thing.

May 12, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  108. Me on earth

Is she gay?? Doesn't matter just may be part of the not wanting to do that to her body thing. I like her no matter what, she has helped a boat load of people

May 11, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane

yes, she is with a female partner. I don't know if she is gay or bi but I think this is why she is adopting. She probably doesn't want to be with a guy and/or deal with the adoption process in the U.S.

May 11, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Danko Ramone

Lemme guess...she doesn't want to "ruin her body," or some such crap, and jeopardize her exercise empire.

May 11, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tizroc

No, that isn't the issue. Apparently she has Endometriosis and carrying a child to term much less getting pregnant is tricky at best. That was apparently just a snippet of the conversation taken out of context. Try to be a little compassionate for about 10 minutes. Geeze.

May 12, 2011 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  110. Ellen

A narcissist who is so into her own looks that she can't "do that to [her] body" – what basically every woman in the world has done since the dawn of time – will make a GREAT mother.

May 11, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • alice

Why don't you save your high and mighty judgement for something important and mind your own business?

May 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniela

I couldn't agree with you more. I truly hope she doesn't pass on her obsession with diet/fitness to this child...

May 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

Not everyone wants to be baby production factories, like you, I guess?

May 11, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adopted

Just giving birth does not make you a mother.

May 11, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • bdgfn

Ellen, you obviously know absolutely nothing about Jillian Michaels. Learn about her, get over your own image issues, then comment.

May 12, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • elizabeth

Read up on her a little more and you will discover that she has pcos and endometriosis – which make it difficult for her to conceive and have a healthy pregnancy. It's not about baby weight... not every woman, myself included, is fortunate enough to be able to give birth to their own child. Don't be so cynical.

May 12, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Frostka

How stupid are you? As MANY people have ALREADY stated, she has medical issues that would make pregnancy very difficult (and perhaps impossible – endometriosis can cause infertility) and dangerous for her. You obviously have your own problems if you're being so hateful.

May 12, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Ellen, Jillian stated in a subsequent interview (after she was villanized for that comment) that Women's Health Magazine somewhat 'misquoted' her statement.. She had gone on to explain apparenlty that it wasn't a vanity statement, but rather that she suffers from extreme endometriosis, and therefore her body could not 'handle' a pregnancy, and that she could likely miscarry. Sometimes interviews/articles are edited down for space requirements, and obviously WHM omitted a key explanatory piece ....!

May 12, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Child from Congo

No thanks,and you'll probably eat all my food.

May 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Amy K

It's too bad she "can't handle doing that to her body." It would have been great to watch her lose her pregnancy weight and give healthy workout tips to other moms. That's her business, though. Hopefully she doesn't pass those body image issues along to a kid.

May 11, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mo

If you've read other interviews with Jillian Michaels you would have learned that she has had a lot of difficult medical issues, i.e. severe endometriosis, which would make trying to get pregnant and then consequently trying to stay pregnant, really difficult on her body. It is unfortunate that this particular quote made her sound as if she were superficial. I think she is trying to preserve her health.

May 11, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • LEB

Judgmental much? Well here's a dose of reality... she has MEDICAL issues that would make pregnancy dangerous for her. She was forced to share with the world what those private issues were when her comment was taken out of context and turned into a media firestorm. Can you imagine how difficult it must be, knowing that even though your body is in peak physical condition you still can't safely carry a pregnancy? Have some freaking compassion!

May 11, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • double edge sword

Even if she did not have medical issues, why is it wrong to not want to have a baby? It does put additional physical stresses on the body. Superficial or not, carrying a child to term and delivering are not the ultimate signs of being a non-selfish person.

May 12, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
    • KateB

Actually, endometriosis can be well-nigh cured by a pregnancy...so I'm not sure her issues AREN'T related to weight/sagging/stretchmarks etc.

May 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Natalie

I thought the same thing. It is sad to me that she wouldn't have a healthier view of pregnancy and some encouragement for moms who want to lose weight postpartum. My husband and I have three biological kids and plan to adopt at some point. I believe both adoption and having biological children are valuable and honorable.

March 22, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Lennie Ross

And yet a another celebrity adoption from a foreign country, when will it be 'cool' to adopt a baby from right here in the US?

But alas, congrats to her and the child!

Lennie Ross

May 11, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vivian

Couldn't agree with you more. I hate that everyone goes outside of the US for adoption. There are way too many children here waiting to be adopted!! Their excuse is paperwork or all the "red tape", that's a load of BS. Yes, it might take a little longer but isn't it worth it?

May 11, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • hmm..

Sandra Bullock adopted from the US.

May 11, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

As someone who was adopted myself, I can attest to the fact there IS a lot of red tape when adopting from first world countries. Agencies within the 'donor' country set the stipulations of adoption, e.g. maximum age of the parents, fitness of the parents, economic status, marital status. Often, developing or third world counties are more lenient with their rules. Furthermore, in such countries being a single parent is either socially taboo or econimcally unfeasible, thereby not only increasing the number of children up for adoption from these countries but decreasing the age of the babies to be adopted. Many parents would prefer to adopt as young as possible to facilitate the parent/child bonding process, which I can completely understand.

May 11, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • lexie

In this country it's extremely difficult to adopt if you're single.

May 11, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Maybe it will be "cool" when birth mothers stop the law suits demanding they want their baby back after they've given the baby up. And, the US courts tend to side with the biological mother. With foreign adoptions where the baby was abandoned the chance of that is minimal.

Frank, who adopted from China

May 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • LEB

From what I've learned from parents who have adopted foreign babies, they've TRIED to adopt domestically, but it just didn't work out. It was far more expensive, for one, and it's also far too easy for the birth mother to change her mind and get the baby back even AFTER the papers have been signed. Laws strongly favor the birth mother, even when there's no way she could provide the same quality of life as the adoptive parents.

Also, Lexie is right... domestic adoption agencies are prejudiced against single parents, and won't even consider women like Jillian Michaels who make an incredibly good living.

May 11, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • EH

Maybe she is going out of the country because the process in the US totally Bites. I have been trying to adopt for awhile and its crazy. I think she is doing a great thing!

May 11, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer G.

Excuse Me?! A child is a child! A human being is a human being! Get off your high horses and your ridiculous nationalism! Does is really matter? My cousin had to wait 10 years for her domestic adoption to go through! It is none of your freaking business who adopts who and from where! WE ARE ALL HUMAN BEINGS!

May 11, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • jules

Lennie, how many children from the U. S. have you adopted?

May 11, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

May 11, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • testmo

firstly birth moms and dads cant "file lawsuits" and regain their parental rights. that stopped in 1996 so what is your motive for trying to sabotage americans wanting to adopt american children? they have a right to file an appeal (unlike in some countries). that is only fair and just. vast majority of appeals never get turned over. if they do than good for the mother. i wouldnt want to be stealing a baby from a perfectly good birth mom

May 11, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • testmo

gays and lesbians can adopt in most US states. and how is domestic adoption expensive? if you are buying a baby yes that is expensive. it is a private adoption. you are aware adopting a child in need from the state is basically free?! oh yeah too many people dont want "poor kids" unless they get the label of being a rescued haitian ect

May 11, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • tina

the problem with adopting here in the u.s. is it's much more expensive, and the wait is much more extensive. if you've ever known anyone to go through this process you should already know this. i am not saying it's like that everytime, but out of the few people i know that's adopted in the u.s., it has taken years to get a child. out of the ones i know that adopted outside of the u.s., it's usually less than a year. so i can understand it from that point but also can see why everyone is upset about adopting outside of the u.s... my main focus though is at least a child that needs a home, is getting one. regardless of where they are from. that is the way that God would want us to look at it.. instead of being selfish and judgmental.

May 12, 2011 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Robynne

I have adopted three children from the US, and have best friends who have adopted from Ethiopia as well as China. While I agree that kids are kids, and adoption is wonderful whether you cross borders or not, I disagree with most people's assertion here that internal adoption is more costly or more time consuming. Of the five international adoptions I have been involved in, the average cost, when everything is considered, is about $40,000 per child. And only one of those children was an infant. I adopted through the foster care system. . .with no cost except for first aid classes and a police check and gas money for the many courses you need to go to. You can adopt 'freed' children through your local county foster agency, without having to take the risk of seeing whether they become adoptable in the future if need be. I adopted a 2 year old, 16 month old and 2 month old. But here is the thing. . .most people who want to adopt want an infant with 'low risk' for the future. Domestic babies often come with either medical risk (ie drug babies) or emotional risk (birth parents changing their minds) or are slightly older. If those risks are too great for you, I understand that and make no judgements. But to say that all adoption in the US is costly and time consuming is just incorrect. Millions of foster children are waiting for forever families. . .and many of them very young and 'healthy,' My three children, now 15, 13, and 10, WERE 'drug babies' but are now as healthy, happy, functioning, and joyous to raise as my bio kids. So, I think ALL adoption is a blessing. . .but don't villify all domestic adoption because the particular kind of kid you are after takes a long time or is expensive.

May 12, 2011 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |
    • cmc

In the U.S., teenage pregnancy and single motherhood aren't the social stigmas they were 20-30 years ago. As a result, most (not ALL) of the kids up for adoption in the U.S. now are done because the family has a history of either mental illness or drug/alcohol addictions or both and they cannot take care of the child. Those children are rife with problems like you wouldn't believe. Most children up for adoption in other countries are due to financial reasons or social stigmas (like girls not being the desired gender). I've worked with emotionally disturbed kids and many of them were adopted.

May 12, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Darla

It would be more enticing to adopt in the US if the courts didn't take away adopted children from their adoptive parents and give them back to birth parent just becuase they feel like being a parent now. It breaks too many hearts and is too traumatic for the children and adoptive parents. We thought of adopting but when the courts started to let the birth parents do that to the children and adoptive parents we said forget it, it's not meant to be.

May 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • DaveNYUSA

No free publicity in adopting US children.

May 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • nincompoop

Jilllian. I am not from Congo but am available for adoption.

May 12, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • cait

I was thinking the same thing, why do all these celebrities adopt babies from other countries? There are so many children in America that desperately need a family, I'm happy for her and for anyone that adopts a child, but I can't help feeling bitter about it.

May 24, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

You have to be married to adopt from the US in most cases, and I believe Jill is single

January 20, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  114. jeff

You hit the nail on the head Dusty!! It is a sickening and disturbing trend!

May 11, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |