Depp wants to 'reinvent' Lone Ranger-Tonto relationship
May 11th, 2011

Depp wants to 'reinvent' Lone Ranger-Tonto relationship

Whoever lands the job of “The Lone Ranger” in the upcoming film, they better be prepared to share the spotlight with Tonto: Johnny Depp is envisioning the famed Western character as more than a sidekick.

“The Pirates of the Caribbean” star tells Entertainment Weekly that he wants to “reinvent” the relationship that Tonto has with the Lone Ranger.

“I remember watching it as a kid…and going, ‘Why is the f-- Lone Ranger always telling Tonto what to do? I liked Tonto, even at that tender age, and knew that Tonto was getting the unpleasant end of the stick here. That’s stuck with me.”

So when talk about a movie came up, Depp, who says he has some Native American ancestry, began thinking about how he can even out their relationship.

“I started thinking about Tonto and what can be done in my own small way to try to – ‘eliminate’ isn’t possible – but reinvent the relationship," Depp says. He'd like to "attempt to take some of the ugliness thrown on the Native Americans, not only in 'The Lone Ranger,' but the way Indians were treated throughout history of cinema, and turn it on its head.”

“Social Network” actor Armie Hammer is currently being eyed to saddle up as the “Lone Ranger,” which is expected to arrive in theaters in 2014.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Ecopure

One more thing that I wish for to share at this time is that, whatever you are using free blogging service except if you don’t update your website on on a regular basis basis then it’s no more importance. Ecopure http://testing.synergy-learning.com/user/profile.php?id=4400

February 22, 2013 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. epapierosy

Wow! this cartoon type YouTube video I have viewed when I was in primary level and at the moment I am in academy and watching that once more here. epapierosy http://www.okno24.info/e-papierosy-3.html

February 22, 2013 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. christmas sale uggs

The road divides here.How much money did you make?I'm full.Its origin is still a mystery now.What about you? He dreamed of traveling to remote South Sea Islands.How much? The doctor's words made him feel comfortable.I'll see to it.It's time for us to say ¡°No¡± to America
    christmas sale uggs http://pinkuggschristmassaleuggs.blogspot.com/

December 8, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. uggs boots for sale

You forget to write down the date of your departure.I like all kinds of fruit.Move out of my way!True and False have opposite meanings.I have no idea.Once you begin£¬you must continue.Once you begin£¬you must continue.Time is up.Don't keep me waiting long.It's supposed to start at 6:30 sharp, but I doubt it will.
    uggs boots for sale http://uggsforchristmasuggschristmas.blogspot.co.uk/

December 8, 2012 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tai phong than mobile mobile

I feel that is among the so much significant info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to observation on some basic things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is actually nice : D. Excellent job, cheers

November 7, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. social presence

You are in reality a excellent webmaster. The web site loading pace is incredible. It sort of feels that you're doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a fantastic process on this topic!

September 9, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. sillas ergonomicas

I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again right here regularly. I am somewhat certain I will learn lots of new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the next!

September 9, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. outlet de viajes

Questo sito web � realmente un walk-through con lo scopo di tutte contrastare informazioni che ti ha voluto su codesto ed non sapevo per chi

July 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. venta juguetes licenciados

anni. Maggiori cose, ingenuamente fantastico!

July 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. baby bliss

Hello very cool website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally?I'm satisfied to search out so many helpful info here in the publish, we want develop more techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

April 26, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. cursos a distancia gratis

I like the valuable info you supply for your articles. I'll bookmark your blog and take a look at once more here frequently. I'm moderately certain I'll be informed a lot of new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the next!

April 22, 2012 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  12. family law

Hi, i believe that i saw you visited my blog so i came to return the desire?.I am attempting to to find things to improve my website!I guess its adequate to make use of a few of your concepts!!

April 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. click

Heya i'm for the primary time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something again and aid others such as you aided me.

April 13, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. more

You really make it seem really easy along with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually one thing that I believe I'd never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely large for me. I am looking ahead for your subsequent post, I will try to get the hang of it!

April 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. actos claims

Wonderful work! That is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on Google for not positioning this post upper! Come on over and seek advice from my web site . Thank you =)

April 3, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  16. Deca Durabolin

Este artículo sobre marquee.blogs.cnn.com le da la luz en la que podemos observar la realidad.

December 4, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  17. sustanon

Tenía muchas ganas de desarrollar un pequeño comentario para dar las gracias a # nombre de host para algunas de las recomendaciones increíble que usted está escribiendo en este sitio web. Mi mirada internet considerable hasta al final ha sido reconocido con sugerencias brillantes para el intercambio con mis invitados. Yo afirmaría que los visitantes del sitio son en realidad bastante suerte de existir en una comunidad maravillosa con la gente en circulación tantos con los principios muy beneficioso. Me siento muy afortunado de haber utilizado su página web completa, y esperamos muchas veces más brillante de leer aquí. Gracias de nuevo por todos los detalles.

November 30, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Indian From Canada

indian from canada says hi!

September 29, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  19. jack sprat

Great idea, Depp. Make Tonto a Cherokee cotton farmer with 150 African slaves.

June 2, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  20. Carole old in San Diego

Hey Johnny Depp–first you want to be the Thin Man (makes me puke to think of it-you don't have the savoir faire–that is klass–look it up). Now you want to help the Indians through the Lone Ranger. Good news guys–Tonto was played by Jay Silverheels, a real live Indian. And quite handsome to me as a little child. As a child I loved it and Tonto was just as much of a hero to me as the Lone Ranger. And don't forget the Cisco Kid–a real live Mexican hero with his real live Mexican sidekick Pancho. They were real heroes to me. Go back to France and take your "fonie" English accent with you. Let an Indian who knows make a thoughtful uplifting film–you know you don't know nuttin'.

May 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  21. AllyCat

He's so hot. I wanna see him play Trigger too.

May 11, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. RoadRunner, Albuquerque, NM

Kudos to Johnny Depp, a brilliant artist, with the correct "wyrd" factor to redo some of the American originals, like The Lone Ranger and Tonto. There is a lot of potential synergy in this relationship, another dynamic duo from the 30's and 40's just waiting to be released. I want a front row seat for this one!

May 11, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Charly Debiasse-Calle

Well, I would first rename the character since it means "dumb one" in Spanish. Bet a whole lot of money that this was the original purpose of his name. I think Johnny will revamp the character with more pride and make him a strong character.

May 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. gphx

I remember many years ago Johnny Depp was living in France. When asked in an interview why he was living in France he expressed disdain for Americans and the 'Disneyization' of America. Some years later he signed millions in contracts with Disney. I'm not big fan of hypocrisy.

May 11, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sam

There is an interesting word-play in the names of these legendary heros that may give Depp a clue as to what needs reinventing. Tonto always referred to LR as "Quimosabe" (sp?), which is a variation on the Spanish, Quien mas sabe, which translates, The One who Knows More. His own name, Tonto, in Spanish means Dummy! So, reinventing Tonto might go something like this: let Tonto play a role akin to the Scarlet Pimpernel, who publicly is subordinate and "dumb" to conform with social norms of the day and capable of clandestine activity because he is considered "dumb," then turn around and make him a major force in coaching and saving the Lone Ranger's skin behind the scenes.

May 11, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Robert

Actually I like Depp's position on this. Sidekicks of the 40s and 50s were silly, or just in the background, following the main guy's orders, be the unlikely hero and save the star when all seemed lost, only to disappear again until needed. It's shallow. If the Lone Ranger and Tonto had an actual working relationship, they would have likely had something in common, that would keep them working together. Even Robinson Crusoe's servant Friday was a true friend for decades. After Crusoe set him free, Friday adored Crusoe and refused to leave him.

May 11, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  27. DonJuan1943

Get Mel Brooks involved as a consultant. There is no grander Master of The Zane than Mr. Brooks.

May 11, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mr. Pelican Pants

I'd like to "reinvent" Johnny Depp as a non-dooshbag.

May 11, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Dave

Lone Ranger: "Tonto, you go to the town."

Tonto: "You got to h*** Kemosabe!"

Unless that line is in the movie, I have no real interest in seeing this film.

copyright Bill Cosby for the above dialogue.

May 11, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Michael

I have a feeling this movie is going to resemble the recent, and unnecessary, remake The Green Hornet.

May 11, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  31. bob

Seriously? Is Hollywood really that empty of ideas, that a Lone Ranger remix is drawing Depp? Are all the script writers just out waxing their mercedes this decade? Holllywood has truly given up on original ideas, and indy films are always the long-odds gamble- either its awesome, or its a 2 hour time suck of nothingness.

Come on Johnny, tell me there was something better on your plate than the Lone Ranger. Yikes.

May 11, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Dictionary

Why is everyone looking to Spanish for the definition of Tonto. He wasn't Spanish. Tonto's name translates as "wild one" in his own language.

May 11, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  33. jeffpat

depp is beautiful

May 11, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Righteous Giant

Tonto was never treated with disrespect. It was just a story about the character of the Lone Ranger. Tonto was a highly respected and valuable help to LR. But the context of the story was about the American west, which was settled by Europeans.

It's about time for the Hollywood elite to stop whining about how terrible our fathers were. You know why they do it? It's because it's fashionable and it sells tickets, which translates into big money for the Hollywood bosses. They love money and they are blood suckers. That's what this is all about.

May 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Victor

With someone as famous as Depp playing Tonto shouldn't the producers try to find another big name to play the Ranger, I mean it's still going to be a Lone Ranger film right?

Even if Depp makes Tonto the coolest cat in the West, the Ranger is still supposed to be the star of this team no?

May 11, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Richard

Assuming the writers knew that "Tonto" means fool, does Keemosabe have a Spanish meaning? Not literally, but it sounds a little like "Quien mas sabe" which means something like "he who knows more". So call me "tonto", but it seems possible.

May 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  37. SoFunny

Ok for the uniformed, TONTO means dummy in Mex slang. Why would Depp want to be dummy instead of the Lone Ranger? To all you Tonto's out there, ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, moco!

May 11, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  38. sarah

It could possibly work if they got a good script. They need to talk to Sherman Alexie (Smoke Signals & Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven) and Tonto could actually be an amazing character.

May 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  39. chuck kiel

J.Depp , lone renger , tonto , Indians , I Love it wild , go for it John

May 11, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  40. b=Dog

Do anything... but PLEASE no more stupid pirate movies!

May 11, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  41. ernie

Tonto means NAMBLA in spanish. Tonto was the first drunken child molesting indian.

May 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  42. The Dude

Let me guess, he winn be the rangers Gay lover

May 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Michael

Johnny, you're too full of yourself and what little Native American heritage you have doesn't qualify you to come to their rescue. You would be just another fake. It reminds me of the actor who called himself Iron Eyes Cody and was the famous crying Indian in the anti-littering spot. His real name was Espera Oscar de Corti in Kaplan, Louisiana, the son of Antonio de Corti and his wife, Francesca Salpietra, immigrants from Sicily, Italy.

May 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • gremlinus

So what? There are very few actors of native american descent. Lou Diamond Phillips is only 1/4 Cherokee and I don't remember people complaining when he played a Native American. Why is that? Because he "looks like one?" Depp does have some Cherokee ancestry, and he's taken an interest in it. He didn't proclaim it in the article, but the author picked up on it. He may have said something along the lines of "well I have some ancestors that were Cherokee and I've always been interested in the culture. When they offered me the role I was really excited about it." or he could have said "of course I deserve this role, I am of native american ancestry you know." You have no idea. If you don't like the guy's acting, fine. But don't put words in his mouth by saying he "coming to their rescue" or that he feels "he's qualified." He's wants to put a positive spin on a ethnic group that was historically mocked by Hollywood especially in Westerns, and I think that's a good thing.

May 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Paul Willson

Having a white play a native is a BAD idea .Even the TV series had a genuine Mohawk(I believe) Jay Silverheels as Tonto.
    Any studio that makes a mivie the way Depp is suggesting seserves to have a BIG loss at box office.

May 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Sandy

I am amazed at all the judgemental people here. Since when did you become experts at movies and actors. And minorities ARE getting former roles play by white people. Will Smith being on of them. I grew up with "Wild Wild West" and to tell you the truth, I love Will and his work, but it just didn't work. They still made reference to him being black at the very beginning of the movie. But, Johnnie Depp "IS" an extremely good actor and I'm going to give the movie the benefit of "some" doubt and hope for a good products. Chill people...there are more important things to complain about.

May 11, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  46. ILOVEJD

I'll watch any movie JD is in...whether it's crappy or not! He is HOT!

May 11, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Chrisie

Hey Evel Knievel,
    Google the indian you are talking about from the commercial. You will be surprised to find out that the guy that portrayed the "indian" was Italian. So much for the indian theory.

May 11, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Richard

I hear Depp's next project is to reinvent "Babalouie" in a Quickdraw Mcgraw remake.

May 11, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  49. pecanlog

Yeah let's reinvent history so we don't offend anybody and maximize profits. BTW I don't know much about the lone ranger Mr Depp but he was probably called THE LONE RANGER for a reason?

May 11, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  50. truthbetold

Tonto – from Google translation – Noun:1.fool 2.silly 3.stupid 4.idiot 5.dummy 6.moron 7.ass 8.dimwit 9.pinhead 10.cretin 11.dink 12.dunderhead 13.cabbagehead 14.clod-poll 15.dispensary 16.numbhead 17.lemon 18.jenny-ass 19.greaseproof paper
    tonto2 -ta sustantivo masculino, femenino (falto de inteligencia) idiot, dummy (colloq);

Or the meaning to all of us growing up – "dumbfU#*"

May 11, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Bob

I heard one story that 'Kemosabi' translates as 'bucket of manure'. The Lone Ranger figuring this out half way through the movie might be a good place to start building the new relationship.

May 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  52. zoundsman

Go Depp! Disney was perplexed at your Capt'n Sparrow, others will scratch their heads at other roles you interpret.
    That's the difference between an artist and a hack-they (artists) take risks.

May 11, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  53. chgn66

Probably just means the Lone Ranger will still order Tonto around, but Tonto will swing a canteen and hit him in the groin for comic effect. you know, for the trailer.

May 11, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Custer the Inbred

Ah Pa!!! Ma's gonna shake the trailer some'in fierce!!

May 11, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  55. erich2112x

I'm still waiting for a Gunsmoke reboot.

May 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freeman3000

Steve Buscemi as Festus!

May 11, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • erich2112x

I'd put Levitt, that kid from Inception in as Festus. Buscemi would definitely be a good second choice tho.

May 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Custer the Inbred

Pa! Ain't you done with my backside yet? Ah Pa!!! We Hillbillie's are family lovin....

May 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  57. t-dubs

Just have Tanto call the Lone Ranger Quien no sabe. Sort of a Mel Brooks approach. That might save this tired idea.

May 11, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Mary Xmas

CNN Moderators, please ban the person posting all that racist stuff about indians and poo.

May 11, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chief DingleBerry

Many Brave drink firewater, harvest dingleberry from big chief hiney. HOW!

May 11, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Tim's Mom

Tim, stop it with the doo doo and mormons and indians. All these people are going to flag your comments and get me reported to my ISP and they'll cut my internet off. DFACS will take you away again.

May 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  60. blazoon

Another ad nausaem remake, and I'm supposed to get excited about it? I never watched the Lone Ranger to begin with–it's a silly dated concept, cartoonish. Hollywood, stop giving us these gimmicky CARTOONY movie remakes! Just stick with good stories and stuff.

May 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Chocktaaw Indian

Whiteman put us on reservation. Take our dried buffalo weeiner and feed to white chidren. Now mock us by having gaeboy play our indian chieftan tonto.

May 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Chocktaaw Indian

As an indian it no be a misspelling. You whiteman steal our language and steal our land. Your grandpa gobbled the goob of my indian ancestors.

May 11, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  63. richard

Gary Larson did a hilarious "Far Side" cartoon about the Lone Ranger:

May 11, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Superhiro

"Some native american ancestry" my a$$.

May 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • gremlinus

He's part Cherokee. As am I and many other people from Owensboro and the surrounding area in Western KY.

May 11, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Darth Corleone

This is all sounding an awful lot like a Lone Ranger comic book written by Joe Lansdale that Topps Comics put out in 1995, in which Tonto was a Harvard graduate who ended up partnering with a Wild Bill Hickock -style showman. I hightly suggest the makers of this film seek out the rights to this series before they get too committed. This is exactly the kind of thing that can come back and bite you in the ass once the film is complete.

May 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  66. John Fowler

If memory serves, Bill Cosby did a stand-up bit on the very subject of which J.Depp speaks. It was very funny then, funny...and true. It is now still true and long over due for a nuanced re-telling w/ kudos to Jay Silverheels for his professionalism in the face of some glaring slights. Johnny Depp...all I can say is...DO IT...it is long overdue...!

May 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Randall

Depp will do a fine job, looking forward to it.

May 11, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  68. bob

Is there going to be a broke-back scene between the two guys?

May 11, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Sky King

Who's going to play me in my movie? I think Flicka should get a cameo role in the LR movie.

May 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  70. JOJO

sounds Brokeback to me

May 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  71. C

Well he "reinvented" Willa Wonka and that turned out horribly but that might have something to do with that hack Tim Burton.

May 11, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  72. weallgotone

Anything scheduled to take place after 12-21-12 doesn't matter anyway.

May 11, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freeman3000

Hilarious. Not.

May 11, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • oldbear60

Check out Wiley Millers cartoon collection from last fall to see why the Mayan calander stops at 12/21/12. Then be prepared for another piece of badly done comic book movie.

May 11, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  73. BoDacious01

IMO.... Depp is one of the top five talents in his acting class.....

I think you can make both Tonto and the Lone Ranger into being the two people within their cultures their people look up to..... Obviously they would have two different back stories as to what brought them to be fighting the bad guys.... I think they should make it as both wanting to preserve the integrity and wildness of the "West" from the corruption coming from the "East" as both see corruption manipulation preventing harmony between Natives and White Settlers that was established by their coming together.....

I think the Lone Ranger was in fact persuaded, encouraged and changed by his meeting of Tonto. Maybe the Lone Ranger was a Law man that was missing something from the "law and order" of the white settlers or it somehow jaded him by the fact that the man that killed his son and wife in a raid was let go due to back room payoffs of judges and went on a journey to find something more in life..... He met Tonto and went on a peyote trip with him and found his answer within. They then forged a bound and BOOM!! BAM!! POW!! you have the two bad a*%es of the western folk lore stopping corruption of the wild west...... Yes Hollywood I am available...... call me.

May 11, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Chocktaaw Indian

Depp eateth gooooober of many redman.

May 11, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  75. hatchetface

Tonto should beat Lone Rangers ass and make wear a mask like Hamburglar for stealing his land.

May 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Bubba

Here's how it goes: A Texas Ranger, shot and left for dead with other rangers, is rescued and saved by a mysterious Indian who lives in a forgotten silver mine. "Call me Tonto" the mystery man tells him. When he is healed, he masks himself and goes after the killers with bullets made of pure silver. The two men team up, using Tonto's money and perfect hideout and the Ranger's skills to bring law and order to their region. The Ranger owed Tonto EVERYTHING.

May 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Sean

Reinvent the relationship? Brokeback Ranger, Awayyyy!!!

May 11, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Chocktaaw Indian

Johnny Depp speak with forked tounge. Also use it to eat dooodoo from my ancestors behind. Him not good as tonto.

May 11, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Mammy

He just wants Tonto to cornhole him.

May 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  80. sam99999

My god here we go again with trying to rewrite the past and fix something that's not broke. Tonto was always treated with respect on the show and not stereotyped. As a white boy I had the Tonto action figure instead of the Lone ranger and was totally cool with it. Depp as usual is trying to create trouble and controversy where there is none.

May 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Chocktaaw Indian

Yes Mrs M. Us indian people fear that too. Will he still have the faagggy beads in his heir and talk with a retarded accent? Him eat much fudge.

May 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Tim's Mom

I apologize for Tim; I have to leave him home since his dad got the DNA results and walked out. Tim has mental problems and his uncle showed him 4Chan, so you can see it's been really bad lately. Tim, please stop. All this stuff about fat people and racist stuff is going to get my internet cut off.

May 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Lee

What do you mean "we" Kemo Sabe?

May 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Lee

What's do you mean "we" Kemo Sabe?

May 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Mrs. M.

It sounds like he wants to play Tonto gay, just like the way he wrecked the pirate movie.

May 11, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • pazke

Ha ha ha...yeah...he "wrecked the pirate movie". He did such a poor job that Disney just keeps making more and more of them.

May 11, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Chocktaaw Indian

I too am a native american indian. How. Why you get gaayboy like Johnnie Dipp to pretend to be us ? He be a buuttpirate. NOT REDMAN !

May 11, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  87. paul

Amazing actor but Tonto means dumb-dumb in spanish/mexican.

May 11, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  88. pazke

What all y'all are failing to realize is that it doesn't matter if Johnny Depp is native american, if he's a good actor, or if his hairline is receding. All that matters is that he is hotter than you and your wife thinks about him in the shower.

May 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Ken in NC

I stopped going to movies when they stopped entertainning me years ago but this Lone Ranger movie has got my attention. I think I'll consider a second mortgage on my home to finance the cost of a movie theater ticket to see The Lone Ranger ride again. This time I will enjoy hearing that famous statement, "Tonto, go to town and see what you can learn........" and the desired response, "KemoSabie, you go to hell". LOL

May 11, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Double You Tee Eff

@Kerry - I, too, am raising my kids to make much more intelligent comments on the CNN Merquee entertainment blog. Well done, sir.

May 11, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Chief J Strongbow

nooooo. we need to smokem peace pipe. no talkem mean talk. us be peaceful injuns. not on warpath. heeeeyaaaheeeeeyaaahoooo.

May 11, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chief Rubbin Thighs

I am chief of Slap-a-hoe tribe. We no like Johnny Depp. We no like Tonto. We like hoes.

May 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  92. JohnRJ08

Depp is wrong. He obviously never watched the Lone Ranger with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels. In those episodes, the Ranger always showed great respect and love for Tonto. But the Ranger was the leader, not Tonto. It was not an equal partnership. Depp fiddles with this character at his and the studio's peril. The characters which Moore and Silverheels created are still etched in the collective memory of two generations. If Depp makes the fundamental changes he's suggesting here, those people won't recognize the characters of this film and they won't pay to see it. I can see making some changes in the characters, to make them more relevant and less dated. Sounds to me like Depp wants to do far more than that. Warner Bros tried to mess around with these characters 30 years ago and ended up giving us the stupendous flop "The Legend of the Lone Ranger". Here we go again, Kimo Sabe.

May 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam99999

You are exactly right John. It would be like Depp playing Robin in a Batman movie and saying "why is Robin always doing what Batman tells him to do?" Of course Depp wouldn't say that beacuse there's no way he could imply some sort of hidden racism in that case. Quit crying wolf Johnny.

May 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spence

Folk outtah check out the newer comic book by Dynamite, Tonto saves the Lone Ranger and helps him become the hero he is. He certainly is no sidekick or lesser, and really is a badass, more than equal to "His" faithful companion the Lone Ranger.
      They are partners and equals in every way and would kill for each other or each other’s family as the comic shows. It’s not your parent’s Lone Ranger but a current interpretation of the classic and well worth the read!

May 11, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  93. JP

Tonto? Really? Depp is through. As if he wasn't already after the last 10 crap movies he's put out.

May 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Rudi Merom

all in at http://www.TheDimensionMachine.com

May 11, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Brandon M.

The only problem I see here is the fact that Depp isn't Native American. Him playing Tonto would be like having Will Smith play JFK or Harrison Ford play MLK Jr. Why not have an actual Native American play the Native American. I guess simple logic and common sense doesn't mesh well with Hollywood.

May 11, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • NA

Dep would make a better LR than he would Tonto. Maybe they can find a young Bill Richardson to play Tonto.

May 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Rudi Merom

The only way to advance your life is knowledge! If I would tell you to build any device you would say: I do not have the knowledge to do so! If someone would give you the knowledge to build the device than you could do it! The same is in our life. You need the knowledge how to maximize your inner ability. Take a look at http://www.TheDimensionMachine.com you can save many years of walking around like a chicken without a…

May 11, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Derrick Poitra

This film will be a great tirbute to all the Native Americans. I am Native American myself and I respect Johnny Depp's inspiration. I think it's a fantastic idea. I remember watching the show a few times when I was younger with my dad. Tear it up Mr. Depp

May 11, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Chief J Strongbow

I am a navajo indian and my wife is a navahoe. I sell her to white man for beads.

May 11, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Just make sure those beads are made of diamonds and it might just be worth it.

May 11, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  99. James

Nothing wrong with make the "relationship" a bit different more along the lines of partners in a cop/buddy movie then based on one being dominent over the other. Not only that but considering most of the people who will go see a Lone Ranger movie probably have never seen the TV Show, I doubt they will notice unless someone tells them.

Now if he tries to lay a bunch of "white mans guilt" on the LR, well then that's dumb. If he tries to make them lovers, well sorry SNL already did a skit on that.

May 11, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Chief J Strongbow

Yes keemoslobby. Us injuns know heap much about things. We smell horse poop to trail blackfeet.

May 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  101. idae

Johnny you are right. I believe tonto means stupid in spanish. And you know that genius organization that goes by the name of Mensa, Well mensa means stuplid woman in spanish. Learn another language people maybe you won't make yourselves look so stupid.

May 11, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh?

The word "Mensa" means "table" in Latin. What does knowing Spanish have to do with article?

May 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ina

Yes tonto means stupid in spanish, but Tonto was an indian not spanish. so why the hell does it matter?

May 11, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary33040

Tonto..means..CLOWN in Spanish...

May 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  102. CRA

I love Jay Silverheels and Tonto. I always wanted more of Tonto. He was braver than LR – he didn't hid, he was always in danger simply because he was an Indian, he didn't ride a big strapping horse who could protect him, and he didn't have silver bullets but bullets he had to buy unnlike the LR who could make his own bullets because he had asilver mine. Tonto also saved LP's life. I hope Depp makes Tonto the real hero (btw Bill Cosby use to do a great monolouge about Tonto).

May 11, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Dennis Monroe

Not only is Depp not a full native American, he is WAY older than Armie Hammer, the guy that's supposed to be the Lone Ranger. What is Tonto–the babysitter? Hollywood continues to @$#*!!-up what originally was a good premise, as they have in so many instances of the past.
    Depp is OK in certain movies, but he will be a terrible Tonto.

May 11, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  104. the_dude

Another original for hollywood yeah

May 11, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  105. fred

Depp is a good actor I don't care if he is an indian or not. He will carry the movie

May 11, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • pazke

I don't care if he's a good actor or not – he can carry me anywhere.

May 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Jake Sanders

All you people are racist! Just jealous of Native American. We have pride, culture and traditions. You just don't see the over all picture of life. So look at yourselves in the mirror and see if you happy with your life. Cause your not! You have to bring hate and racism to justify your miserable life!
    I am Full Blood Navajo! Proud Vetern of the Marine Corp and have served my country so people like you can speak with freedom! I would like to see you live in other third world counties and say those things. YOU WOULD BE DIED!

May 11, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • NA

I see they don't teach proper English in the Corp or on the Res. It's dead, not died.

May 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Proud Heritage

The comment from NA regarding incorrect English just proves your point, Jake.

May 11, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • cork soaker

Good for you. Sounds like you forgot to take your meds. You aren't the only minority veteran. Get a life. You were probably a paper pusher not a real Marine.

May 11, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  107. wvlADY63

Lets hope Johnny Depp doesn't reinvent the masked man as a weirdo. Clayton Moore would turn over in his grave if this happened and rightfully so. If Depp wants to reinvent "The Lone Ranger," as a serious defender of justice, then so be it, otherwise, please pass.

May 11, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  108. ronaldo

Not sure what the original idea was, but tonto means silly in Spanish. Whoever created the character started on a wrong note.

May 11, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  109. DYBO

Brings back the memory of an old joke I heard as a kid. The Lone Ranger and Tonto surrounded by hundreds of wild indians on the warpath. The Lone Ranger says " well Tonto , I guess we have had it this time." Tonto replies " what do you mean we- paleface!"

May 11, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  110. Heywood_Jablowme

What do you know? Another movie dug out of the archives and remade. Hollywood has zero talent left and can only remake classics. Hell...isn't it time for Lucas to re-re-release the Star Wars saga?

May 11, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • michael allen x

Yes,Star Wars on Blu-ray this fall and all 6 episodes coming to theaters in 3D. Seriously...How about episode 7 ????

May 11, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Chief J Strongbow

I too am a native american indian. White man take our land. Kill our buffalo. Now take our gay movie roles.

May 11, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  112. Silver adn Scout

Just as long as the "relationship" is not "BrokeBack Mountain 2: Hi Ho Silver" I'm O.K. with it.

May 11, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  113. willy wonka

I agree that Tonto should become a more important character in the story. Why is it that White men are always portrayed as more intelligent? That is total BS.

May 11, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  114. mejazzbo

So, is JD going to make a movie about balding guys getting the unpleasant end of the stick in the movie he makes after the Lone Ranger. And how will that movie contrast with his Native American heritage. Starting to look a little wispy on top there, Johnny boy.

May 11, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  115. Andulamb

What a dumb move. I thought we had made progress since the old westerns that featured white actors as Native Americans. Depp may or may not have some Native American blood in him, but that doesn't make him Native American, whereas there are (surprise!) actual Native American actors out there who are plenty talented. I know acting is about pretending to be things you're not, but how come whites are always portraying minorities but minorities never get to portray whites? If minorities don't get to portray minorities, how will they ever get acting jobs? Give the part to a real Native American, for crying out loud.

May 11, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Bdo

Who cares what the nationality is? Its a stupid movie produced by Hollywood. Hollywood is full of rich people that I don't care about at all. Why is someone talking bad about gays all over this? The Native Americans have been oppressed since the beginning of this country and before. They were forced off of their lands onto reservations if they were lucky. There is just no way for white people who have been taught subtle racism all their lives to begin appreciating Natives as equals. We need another civil war and we need a new government.

May 11, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • pazke

What about Will Smith?

May 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • NA

Michael Jackson

May 11, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evel Knievel

You find a sober Indian and then we can talk. The only Indian possible to play this character might be that crying Indian from the pollution commercials.

May 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

Boo-f u k i n g Hoo for you.

Now pass that peacepipe................

May 11, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigMike

Samuel Jackson is a minority playing a white guy. Nick Fury. And from what I can tell, Michael Steele has been playing a white guy for years.

May 11, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • alias

The Wayans did White Chicks which creeped the crap outta me. Terrible movie!

May 11, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Melanie

He said weeine in his hand. That means stroke.

May 11, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  117. Jay Silverheels

Doctor, Kemosabe was bit by rattle snake in trousers. What do? You need to suck the venom out. Tonto, what did the doctor say about my snake bite? Kemosabe gonna die.

May 11, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  118. Rudolph

Sounds fun

May 11, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  119. Native American

How about the Lone Ranger being a clueless Indian wanta be and Tonto being the smart guy that hates sterio types. Pretty much how it is now. I'm native American and I and I see this every day.

May 11, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Albert

How about changing the name, Tonto means stupid in spanish.

May 11, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil from Corpus Christi

I have to agree with Albert. "Tonto" is Spanish for "stupid". Let's hope Johnny brings this to light in the movie. Now is a perfect opportunity for someone to bring this to light. At least change the name to something comical, like a Comanche word for "he who puts up with the white man's crap". By the way, what nation/tribe is "Tonto" from? Does anyone know?

May 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth

Stereo...learn how to spell.

May 11, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Evel Knievel

I can't wait for the Lone Ranger to get Tonto to trade his most prized possessions for beads and blankets.

May 11, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  121. Chucklehead

Another iconic character ruined in a remake. One more reason why I can't stand Johnny Depp

May 11, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Agreed

I couldn't agree more. I love the Lone Ranger and Johnny Depp is going to ruin it for me.

May 11, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Layne

Um, maybe we should wait for the movie before judging it?

May 11, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  122. keldoran

here here!!!!

May 11, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  123. be quiet

To the person who fills the marquee blog with derogatory gay comments all day under endless different names, enough already. All you're proving is that you're gay and can't come to terms with it.

That being said, bring on Tonto! This movie sounds good and I hope Hammer is the Lone Ranger.

May 11, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • El Jefe

You mean Hammer time, baggy pants Hammer?

May 11, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • MC Hammer

Yes, I got the part! Just got my HammerPants(tm) back from the cleaners, and I'm ready to go ... can't touch this Lone Ranger.

May 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  124. itsame

it would be nice to see an actual native american in this. That said, i hope they do the relationship like the green hornet movie that came out a few months ago..

May 11, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Nostalgic

The Legend of the Lone Ranger from 1981 was a bit "cheesy" but, it followed the same feel as the tv series....cheesy. Tonto was played by Native American, Michael Horse. I hope this new movie does not go too far with trying to "modernize" the characters. I for one am looking forward to its release.

May 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • bootoyou

People saw the green hornet movie??

May 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Ivan Bial

The Lone Ranger stories were simple and straight forward

Send Tonto to scope out the town.
    Tonto gets the snoot beat out of him in town.
    Lone Ranger rescues Tonto.

May 11, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  126. keldoran

Go Johnny go!!
    As a kid I really enjoyed the series.Great potential for a movie with new twist to it.
    Enough of the gay stuff...don't you have anything better to do but fill this blog site with this,getting very old,chatter.
    Give it a rest!!

May 11, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  127. Peace

Maybe Tonto will get Siver instead of the Lone Ranger! Coolest horse ever! Lol

May 11, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Rin Tin Tin

The Lone Ranger can keep Silver. Tonto gets Mr. Ed. Ed and Tonto get all the good lines.

May 11, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  128. jessica

I agree with you, shan. Tonto was really butch. He was the bad a$$ of the Village People. He dated both the construction worker and the policeman.

May 11, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  129. shan

I agree with Depp. I remember watching The Lone Ranger as a kid and always wanted to see more Tonto. The character had the potential to be bad a.s.s.

May 11, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  130. TED

Well this is going to be a crumby movie.

May 11, 2011 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
    • AshannaK

I am a Mohawk by birth. As good an actor as Johnny Depp is, what is he gonna do
      with the part of Tonto? Mark Dacascus played one in 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' and
      did a bang-up job. I can't wait to see what Johnny Depp will do.

May 11, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • hmm..

crumby or crummy?

May 11, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Never heard of The Lone Ranger! Sounds OLD!

May 11, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

As long as he doesn't "reinvent" Indian People and selects a "real" Indian as was the original.

May 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aw

Ted, you poor sad troll.

May 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

I'm guessing that means we get to see the Evil White People get bamboozled and brutalized, a totally new and original concept.

May 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Johnny Depp is awesome STFU

May 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fly Zone

That's all we need – a Baby Face Tonto who thinks he's a pirate. Depp's stuff is dumber than Howdy Doody. An artist? Go figure.

May 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Here's a history lesson for you:The REAL true story of the Native Americans is an American holocaust.After the first thanksgiving they started fighting over land.With the exception of the French and Indian war, Andrew Jackson was responsible for most of it.

May 11, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

May 11, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary33040

Maybe Wes Studi could be the Lone Ranger!

May 11, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tedd

Crumby!? Then I guess I better bring plenty of wet-naps! Nothing wins an argument online like being illiterate :-)

May 11, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeffroweld

"Never heard of The Lone Ranger?" Where have you (Josh) been? Under a rock?

May 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

yes, there will be crumbs everywhere...

May 11, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Perhaps Tonto can open up a casino in one of the saloons and become independently wealthy from the proceeds of the slot machines.

May 11, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Don King Kong

No way anyone can get that fat eating nothing but bananas.

May 11, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  132. Kerry

You are a sad individual. People like you make me very afraid of this country's future.

May 11, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  133. Sambo

That's hilarious! I've got a story too...about an idiot that spouts ignorant garbage over the internet. Wanna know the end? Nobody cares...

May 11, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  134. Don King Kong

Check your facts. He died of a stroke.

May 11, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  135. pazke

Thor is a troll, but I do want to point out that those two statements are not mutually exclusive.

May 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Lyle Lovett

The mystery masked man was smart, he got himself a Tonto, 'cause a Tonto does the dirty work for free.
    But Tonto, he was smarter & one day said, "Kemosabe, kiss my a$$, I bought a boat, I'm going out to sea"

May 11, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  137. Kerry

I really hope people like you had died out already. Maybe it will take another generation or so...at least I am not raising my children to have such small minds and make stupid comments.

May 11, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  138. Edwin

You sounded like a moron with and without the typos.

May 11, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  139. RCRoeder

misspelling stupid make you smart?

May 11, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |