Crowning touch on 'Glee's' prom episode
May 11th, 2011

Crowning touch on 'Glee's' prom episode

It's prom season.

So it's only natural that "Glee" had its prom on Tuesday night, which was at least as fun as my actual prom in 19-noneofyourbusiness.

It was all pretty authentic – what with folks breaking up right before the big event (Artie and Brittany), the chunky girl who can't get a date (poor Mercedes) and the chick willing to do anything to be prom queen (hello Quinn and Santana.)Despite a really sweet version of "Isn't She Lovely" (I laughed out loud when Mercedes remarked that she thought the song was about a baby, which it is), Brittany still refused to make up with Artie or go to prom with him. Instead, she opted to go solo and dance with everyone else's date,  which she said in essence made them her dates. Brill.

Rachel did a a sweet thing in coming up with the idea for a cheap, three-way prom outing with her, Mercedes and Sam since she didn't have a date either. But that wasn't an issue for Rachel very long.

I clapped with the return of Jesse St. James (I heart you, Jonathan Groff, and have longed to see your character again). His return was good for Rachel because I think we are all ready for Finn to feel some of her jealousy and pain.

Rachel and Jesse rocked Adele's "Rolling In The Deep" which only highlighted for me how incredibly awesome that song will always remain. Jesse asked her to prom and I couldn't wait for Finn to fume.

Kurt asked Blaine, who revealed that he and a male friend had been brutally beaten while trying to attend a dance at his old school. Thus Blaine sided with Kurt's father about not wanting him to wear a kilt to prom.

Karofsky continued to struggle with his sexuality and broke down in tears apologizing to Kurt. My heart really goes out to him and the closeted Santana. So much shame and pain.

I think my favorite part of the whole episode was that the glee kids got to perform at prom, which was all types of awesome. Artie, Puck and Sam rocked the song that will never die, Rebecca Black's "Friday;" Rachel crooned a heartbreaking rendition of  "Jar of Hearts" while staring at Finn dancing with Quinn; Blaine went indie with "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You"; and Santana and Mercedes closed it out with "Dancing Queen."

Speaking of which, the latter came after Kurt was humiliated by his winning the title of "Prom Queen" opposite Karofsky's "Prom King" (oh, the irony!). He was crushed, but decided not to let it destroy him and quipped "Eat your heart out, Kate Middleton!"

Kudos to co-creator Ryan Murphy for not allowing Karofsky to use the moment to come out. That would have been too after-school special-ish. And boo for the slap Quinn delivered to Rachel after Finn and Jesse got tossed from prom for fighting. I wanted to see more tension, not a slap and then an instant makeup designed to make us feel sorry for Quinn because she so fears losing her looks.

And what kind of back-handed compliment is it that she told Rachel she never has to worry about losing her beauty? That was just so high school.

Wait, I guess that was the point, huh? Love you, "Glee."

What did you think of this week's episode?

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. Ehud Furman

The worst thing about this season is that it’s spoiled! http://blog.lookuppage.com/2011/04/how-to-prevent-leaks-and-reputation-management-spoilers.html

May 18, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Christiana Gaudet

From my review at thedarkforest.com-

Glee receives a lot of criticism from conservative groups for compassionately depicting gay teens and their struggles. These groups foolishly suggest that Glee is promoting gay activity that wouldn’t otherwise be an issue.

In an odd personal synchronicity, right before watching Glee on Hulu, I checked Facebook. There, a friend’s post revealed that he has just been the victim of gay bashing. Luckily, it was only verbal abuse. A stranger yelled at him “I hope you die of AIDS.” He had the quick wit to shoot back with “I hope you die too. It would be terrible to outlive all your friends.”

With that reminder of the xenophobia that threatens anyone who does not conform to a specific norm, I was particularly ready to appreciate Glee for its deft ability to handle these issues on mainstream television. Arguably, a Glee episode may save someone’s life one day.

May 13, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Keli

I generally liked it, although Quinn is starting to drive me crazy. Her character is so one dimensional. I feel like every episode, it's always about Quinn being so beautiful and about how hard it is for her being so beautiful. It's getting old... She used to be one of my favorites, but now, I just get irritated every time she comes on the screen.

May 12, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. ......

Honestly, this show it about so much more then music. All you people saying its stupid are completely wrong. It is the only show on air that I have seen that truly shows what it is like to be a teenager. Being a teenager myself, I see so many unrealistic story lines that gets peoples hopes up and set unrealistic expectation for kids. Glee presents IMPORTANT issues! Things that go on everyday under people's noses and they either ignore them or participate in them. I mean where else have you seen the issues of gay teenagers on a popular shows and done REALISTICALLY? Hate to say it but high school is not all sunshine and rainbows and Glee shows that. Glee shows people what really goes on Its hopefully changing the way people think of others and themselves. Glee is the only shows that has guts to be real and I pity people who don't see that and see it as an inferior show because in reality the messages it send changes people unlike these narrow minded people on the comment board who are not open to new opinions.

May 11, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Raelee

I freaking love this show and the bullying story line has been my favorite of all time. My favorite part was the end when Blaine decided that he didn't care if he was making a scene and decided to dance with Kurt after he accepted the crown of prom queen. I think all gay couples/people should be able to be happy like that.

May 11, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. lizzy

It was awesome... when Karosfky ran out and Kurt was just standing there wishing the earth would open and swallow him....BLAINE (in shinning tux) steps in and asked fior this dance! The relief in kurt's face! The relief in all of us! Totally "melt your heart" scene!

May 11, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sean

Come on Lisa, you've been doing this long enough. You should know by now that their names are Artie and Brittany (note the -ttany). As for the episode, I thought it was fantastic. One of the best this season. I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be crazy if the Prom Queen turned out to be Kurt?" and low and behold it was. I thought the vote would come with good intentions from the student body, but nope they're all a bunch of D-bags. I did gain a lot more respect for Karovsky. His apology to Kurt was more genuine than the last, and I actually felt sorry for him at the end. I was happy to see Jesse St. James return, but that back-n-forth push fight between him and Finn at prom was pretty pathetic. I loved the music (yes, even the god awful "Friday"), the prom attire, and all the drama! Santana had me cracking up with that line about moving to a lesbian colony lol. Two episodes left!!

May 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

My bad. I have "Britney" Spears on the brain!

May 11, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chucklehead

It's sad that you know that. I feel sorry for your small, pathetic existence is a much larger, more interesting world than that of this horrific television program.

May 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. julie5454

there are sum major zingers on here. nice job brooke and intervintion. lol shout out to babiyaga and donjuan. u guys make me laugh. thx for that

May 11, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your dad

Oh the wonderful anonymity of the internet. I bet you're giving props to yourself in order to make your day a bit happier.

May 11, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chucklehead

I truely, wholeheatedly, with every fiber of my being, HATE this show!

May 11, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babiyaga

Good God yall, another repeater. Dane Cook syndrome strikes AGAIN! STFU and GTFO, seriously. I'm pretty sure the kids on this show care, they're crying in the buckets of money.

May 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chucklehead

Who's Dane Cook?

May 11, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brooke

@ EVEL- still as weaksauce as ever. Once again the return of the same comments. GOD you are original! WOO! Your parents must be proud. Have a good time with all your hate, you're gonna need it to survive when you're ignorence lands you reverse cowboy style on the red rocket of satan for all of eternity. I'd like to think the devil is ironic like that. GOD DOESNT TEACH HATE, parents and community do! Don't be a cliche dood. Try being a real man.

May 11, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evel Knievel

Oh @Brooke, your reply is enough to keep me going. Love ya.

May 11, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brooke

@Evel- aww thanks baby, there's more where that came from. Just be the best troll you can be, add some variety hon. ENTERTAIN ME! That's what I come here for. Not this repeater, weak bum comments I've been seeing from you. You've done better sir. But who knows... maybe yous just in a slump.

May 11, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your dad

Hey Brooke, did you chubby fingers chafe from all that typing?

May 11, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mr.Arche

@helen... I hope you know people are laughing at you, NOT with you. Get with the times y'ol grumpy

May 11, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sasha

Another great glee for the books. The use of Adele's song and Jar of hearts was brilliantly placed. The whole artie interrogation was funny too with the boy trying to spike the punch with lemonaide so as to look cool to his friends but not actually intoxicate his fellow classmates. Loved the minor makeup with brit and artie posing at the end. Shame for the early exit from jesse and finn. Still little aprehensive about him. He coudl still be trying to scope out the comp for his alma mater. Would love to see something actually develop between mcercedes and sam. All and all an excellent prom night. All that was missing was Will and Emma chaperoneing

May 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rick

And what race would that be...........The Aryan Race !

May 11, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Patriot 2

No, I don't think Iranians will conquer America

May 11, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Missy Loves Glee

"hardier"? and stupider, by the sound of it! awesome.

May 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Chaz Bono

If they breed with you gleediots then yes, much stupider

May 11, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  17. MrsFizzy

You're trying for sarcasm, aren't you???

May 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Chaz Bono

The Bone-man doesn't do sarcasm, but he does think that life is probably cruel and sarcastic to you

May 11, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. ......

Weakens? If anything it will strengthen America for showing it the issues going on in the country. As an non-American citizen I can see how mixed up this country is and Glee is helping solve those issues. You Americans really need to get off your high horses and realize you are not the best, haven't been since before the Cold War, your just to narrow minded to see that. And by breeding a better race you mean an accepting race right? Not one that will post judgmental and naive comments like this?

May 11, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Intervention

With every one of your pathetic comments, I lose more and more respect for you, Evel. Not because you’re a troll but because you’re a BAD troll. The same old garbage over and over, always with the “fudge packer” comments. I was wondering why week after week you continue to comment on the Glee blogs, and I finally get it. You’re trying desperately to cover up your own “closeted” feelings. Careful Evel, your intelligence and gayness are showing.

May 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Brooke

@intervention- i've been saying that to him every post i see. he probably thinks because I respond that his job is done... but him getting called on being a poor excuse for a troll means nothing, no one is arguing the other points he's trying to rile up. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The dood is weaksauce.

May 11, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. MrsFizzy

Mmhmm. That "Karofsky" character is pretty realistic...!

May 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  23. DonJuanDeDorko

@ Uncle- yeah, maybe you can join the cast and give it to them. Don't be a d|ldo man.

May 11, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |