A wild 'Amazing Race' to the finish
May 9th, 2011

A wild 'Amazing Race' to the finish

Sunday night's finale of "The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business" did what all great finales do: It kept us guessing as to who would win, and it provided several challenges that upped the ante from what we had seen before.

For one thing, producers made the most of the first hour of the finale in Brazil, where one team member had to learn a Carnival dance, complete with the requisite costume, of course.

Unfortunately, Zev's two left feet ended up dooming him and Justin, but not before two of the hairiest "Amazing Race" contestants ever took part in a Brazilian waxing(!), and unsuccessfully tried selling bikinis to women in bikinis. (The other three teams were smart enough to skip that challenge, which would obviously be tough and had a bit of a creepy factor thrown in: they had to actually change clothes in a tent on a public beach.)

The always-game Gary and Mallory were in first going into the final leg, and Gary stood a chance at being the oldest "Amazing Race" winner. It wasn't to be, however, as their cab driver in Miami couldn't find the location of their roadblock, involving a forklift. Things didn't improve for them in the underwater mermaid(!) roadblock, either.

In the end, it came down to Harlem Globetrotters Flight Time and Big Easy and sisters Kisha and Jen. The high winds during (what one assumes was) a winter day in Miami made the final task of - no, not answering trivia about the race, for once - but assembling a trailer to look like one in a brochure.

Kisha and Jen finished first, and took off on tricycles(!) over a seven-mile bridge to make it to the finish line. Despite never winning any legs prior to this one, the second time was the charm for them, and they were also the second all-female team in a row (not to mention, second ever) to win.

Even though I was pulling for Gary and Mallory, I was happy to see them finish the race, as well as the Globetrotters, who quit the race in their first season. Kisha and Jen stuck with it, and didn't let any bathroom breaks get in the way like their last go-round. "I will pee my pants to make the final three," said Jen. Now that's the kind of winning attitude that earned them one million dollars!

What did you think of the finale? Did the right team win? Did you enjoy Cord tossing his hat away in the final moments? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

1. http://t.dell13.us.msn.com/?pc=MDDCJS&ocid=DELLDHP

excellent write ups

June 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. 6000mah行動電源

Genuine fantastic visual appeal on this internet website , I would value it ten ten. 6000mah行動電源 http://www.powerbankinfo.com

June 23, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. celine

I watched the finale, but it will probably be the last time I watch Amazing Race unless they change their rules to require teams to finish all challenges ON THEIR OWN before moving forward. The Cowboys got a raw deal and might have won this thing. I don't believe any of the teams who either received the correct mileage answer in Lichtenstein or gave the answer to other teams should have won. Instead, they should have been severely penalized and perhaps the finall winners would have won fairly. Amazing Race has always presented itself as a family show, but as far as I can see it's gettign more and more like "Survivor". No more for me....

May 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Linda

I was surprised the sisters did not incur a 1/2 hr penalty, because one of them "walked" her tricycle, because it was too difficult for her to pedal against the wind. If they had incurred the penalty, I wonder if the Globetrotters would have won!

May 10, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sunwishes

Although I was rooting for Mallory and Gary, I was happy with the results. The fact that Jen and Kisha never won a leg, but was always so close (2nd), made me feel like it was time that they finally won. :D At least in the end, all teams have won something from the race and none left empty handed

May 10, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. Duane

When in America, teams should NOT be driven by taxi. Two of the three teams had major taxi driver problems. The team that didn't have a taxi problem won. Why not let them drive themselves and rely on their own skills entirely for the final leg?

I think taxi rides should be eliminated period, let the racers get creative.

May 10, 2011 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. jen

Who cares?Take this show off the air please

May 9, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sunshine Girl*

I heard bieber is a lesbian.

May 9, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mukazzi

I will admit: Zev's and Justin's hair waxing was NOT for the squeamish. @Fletch: why SHOULD have Zev & Justin or Gary and Mallory won? You call it "luck", as it they didn't utilize any previous skills, experience, human intuitiveness. Luck is not manufactored and distributed like a Pez dispenser.

May 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. fletch

They got lucky. Should have been Zev & Justin or Mallroy & her dad. Seems like Zev/Justin were getting their hair removed forever... That was brutal...

May 9, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Marty

The race does not always go to the fastest team but to the one that played the best game. She dropped her map in that leg that she eavesdropped. She had to do what it took to not let that put them behind. That was a good play. That could've cost them the game. Good going girls! And I hope your mom get that new home :-)

May 9, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Susan

The Globetrotters didn't quit last time. They quit a challenge and took a penalty – which was done by Rob previously. Unfortunately, they tried the challenge so long that by the time they took the penalty, they were last checked-in. I was disappointed by the sisters' win because I thought they were not the best racers. They eavesdropped to get the answer the leg the Cowboys were eliminated, which was shady. Also, they would have been on a later flight to Brazil if they hadn't followed Gary and Mallory.

May 9, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duni

They may have eavesdropped and followed Gary and Mallory, but it helped them win. You do what you must in order to win the game. During a game such as this, some of those moves could be the only things that will speed you along. And for them, it worked.
      The team that was the must cunning won.

May 9, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |