A vision of the future on 'Fringe'
May 7th, 2011

A vision of the future on 'Fringe'

The last two episodes of "Fringe" have been... disorienting to say the least.

When last we left Peter Bishop, he had stepped into the mysterious machine which sent him to what appeared to be the future. But which universe's future was it?

On Friday night's season finale, we were able to piece together that it is our future, and that Peter's actions destroyed the alternate universe, but not before Walternate could cross over.

We saw that Peter's wife, Olivia is in charge of Fringe Division (and in control of her powers), Walter had to be released from jail in order to stop Walternate's plans to get revenge on our world, and Broyles is now a senator.

As for the promised death of a major cast member, you could have knocked me over with a feather when Walternate walked up to Olivia in the future, and shot her in the head. Her funeral was moving, especially when the American flag draped over her coffin was handed over to her niece, who now works for Fringe Division.

Walter was able to figure out how to save both worlds, but Peter would have to make a different choice than the one he had, to stay in this universe.

Whether he was actually sent back in time, or whether he had seen a vision, is up for debate, but Peter did make a new choice while inside the machine... a choice which created a bridge between both universes. Walter came face to face with Walternate, and Olivia met Fauxlivia once more.

As for Peter, no sooner could he explain what had happened than he just... vanished. The Observers explained that he was not just gone, but forgotten, having served his purpose.

Where does that leave us for season four? Unfortunately, we'll have to wait until September (when, hopefully, the ratings will improve).

It was an extraordinary end to an extraordinary season. But what did you think? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

Filed under: television • TV recaps

1. jecycjtrry

mcm handbags Since platform shoes are inherently unstable by their nature making them a safety shoe would make no sense. They also do a great job of letting you know what OTHER ratings the boots have besides the toes.. mcm handbags Lineman boots tend to have big (in work boot terms) heels on them, for climbing. If you're a woman and you're looking to imitate those goth-girl stompy boots, it's also worth mentioning that they go pretty far up the leg.. mcm bag.

mcm bag Some companies make them with steel toes, although they're not standard. Heel height also varies.. mcm backpack mippy, that was the kind of boots I was talking about. they have steel, but they're not ANSI rated, so they aren't true "steel toed boots" in the sense that they would qualify for any sort of job requiring protection.. mcm handbags.

October 17, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jecycjtrry

mulberry sale Flats – Flats give good results effectively with jeans, skirts, shorts and attire. They're at ease to put on, in particular in the event you consider you can be shelling out a lot of time on your toes.. mulberry bag It is really a good idea to help keep two pairs of these fashion shoes. One particular pair needs to be somewhat far more girly and fashionable, possibly encrusted with jewels or designs doing them good adequate to wear to a lot more-than-casual functions.. mulberry handbag.

mulberry sale The opposite pair might be a cute and casual one which you'll be able to put on with jeans or shorts. You will discover plenty of flats inside market.. cheapmulberryhandbagsuk Bejeweled Heels – Some outfits (such as prolonged gowns or pastel attire) just will not get the job done with black or nude pumps, so you would possibly wish to retain a bejeweled or metallic pair of fashion shoes inside of your closet. Bejeweled open high heels are excellent for gowns and attire and therefore are acceptable plenty of for garden weddings and gatherings.. mulberry handbag.

August 31, 2013 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. jordan mars

DVF bags [url=http://www.aiutiamoletizia.it/jordanchicago.aspx]jordan shoes[/url] Rebecca Minkoff bags

alexander mcqueen shoes [url=http://www.aiutiamoletizia.it/jordanchicago.aspx]jordan chicago bulls[/url] red valentino bags

red valentino shoes [url=http://www.aiutiamoletizia.it/jordanchicago.aspx]jordan 10[/url] Milly bags

lululemon sale [url=http://www.aiutiamoletizia.it/jordanchicago.aspx]jordan 10 retro[/url] New Balance minimus

June 24, 2013 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. karol

I have to admit i was a little lost on the season fenale but overall i love " fringe". I would hate it if they cancelled it and not let them finish the story. It's annoying when you get into a show and they just cancel it half way thru. I really do hope they didnt kill Peter though, the show will not be the same w/o him.

May 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Melissa

I love Fringe, please don't cancel it :(

May 10, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. Groupon

Ok. I will call. Always Be Closing!

May 9, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gay man who eats lesbians

HEY GROUPON NIBBLE MY WEINER!!!I WANNA PLACE AN ORDER!!!!CALL ME AT 804-222-3226.I WANT HARD TABS AND SOFT TABS!!CALL MY NUMBER AND ASK FOR NATALIE DOSS!!!AND START EXPLAINING THEM AND TELL ME HOW MUCH I OWE YOU!!!AND PLEASE DONT MAKE FUN OF MY NAME!!!I CAN ONLY RECIEVE CALLS!!!I CANT GIVE CALLS!!!

May 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Loren

I love Fringe and thought the last episode was fun. As for whether it is believeable, who watches TV for believability? I surrender to their world and accept everything that's given. After all, it is an escape. Keep up the good work, Fringe Division.

May 9, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. A DARK BENNU

I get FRINGE, I always have, being a METAPHYSICAL nut so to speak,lol, but the Alternate Dimension Story Arc is a wonderful arc to me, it helps that modern-day Quantum Mechanics/Physics have supported this school of thought for sometime now. Our Imagination/s is the Ultimate Voyage/Expedition, the Imagination allows us All to see something that we are sure to bring into Reality eventually, like Weather Forecasting, We are the Force behind the scene Creating this Reality. FRINGE is taking you/us to that Ultimate Paradigmn-Shift that allows for All things being Infinitely Possible. fin

May 9, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. Tigresse

Frankly, I think Season 3 has not been as good as the first two seasons: it's one thing to push the imagination and science to create a good story, but it's just become too convoluted a story, thus losing some of its narrative power and attraction that the first two seasons held for me. I felt the same way about "The Matrix Reloaded" .....overkill! I hope the writers do a better job with Season 4. If falling ratings are any indication for Season 3, they need to do a better job with more credible story lines.

May 9, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sunshine Girl *

Happy Mothers Day everyone!

May 9, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. (602)621-3688

(602)621-3688

May 8, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. B lo me

I love da dudes with a big ol tool, but when they see mine they call me a fool. On my personal site I claimed to be huge, when we hook up I feel like a stooge! Extenze didn’t help but add a half-inch, when u only got two it helps in a pinch! I tried dem pumps but they wuz a scam, all I want is a dude to ram…me right in da pooper and then I be stoked! All I can hope for is to get poked!!

May 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mp

what happened to the baby peter and olivia had? I'm lost.

May 8, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fanatic

They were out of character because they have changed over the 15 YEARS! Imagine all of the possibly things that could have occurred in that time frame! And the coin is his favorite because when he was a child before Walter kidnapped him it was what he used to play with and who knows maybe in another episode the coin will come back and play a role you never know with this show but I thought the ending of the episode was fantastic!!!

May 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  16. agray

I hated the last episode of Season 3 of Fringe. There was no tension. Almost everyone was out of character. There was no rush and desperation considering the world was coming to and end. Too many holes in the story. Peter is left alone in the hospital when there should always be security with them at all times in situations like these; for that matter, there should always be security around Walter's Harvard Lab. It made no sense why he went to NYC to pick up his coin; what was the purpose of him being confused about where he was and going to liberty island; Olivia's luke warm "I love you" was badly timed; he comes back from the future having seen horrors and he is smiling as though he just came back from a trip to Hawaii; Sam Weiss, "the wisest man in the universe" is losing it and getting all panicked and then it takes Walter to solve the mystery that Olivia is the "crow bar"; Sam is suddenly left behind because he is not "official". The niece's intro into the future was useless. Olivia who is now the head of Fringe Division is acting as though life has always been gloriously simple and joyous for her, easy breezy 15 additional years into the future. I could go on but to put it simply, weakest episode yet in every sense of the word; weak writing, direction, editing..everything. I have stopped caring about the characters. It feels as though the writers are thinking from one episode to the next instead of having thought through story and presenting it to us in episodes. I don't know if I will be watching future Fringe episodes.

May 8, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tigresse

I agree with you 100% !! Too many liberties, too much confusion, too weak acting, just left me very disappointed with the finale. Season 3 hasn't been as good as Seasons 1 and 2. This is the problem for many successful television series after their second year: they seem to ride on the wave of rising popularity – as did Alley McBeal and numerous others – only to start sinking by Season 3. Better story lines and more tension is needed to keep me watcing on Season 4.

May 9, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  17. Diane Gerdes

A wonderful series ending to a well written, intelligent,fun show. One of the few on TV. The turning point for the series was season two when they allowed Peter to become action oriented along with the finely tuned scripts. The character additions are all welcomed. Give John Noble an Emmy already! And the writers, but that won't happen.

May 8, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Peace

Groupon, Thanks, I'll check that out!! Good day !!!

May 8, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jilly444

I LOVE FRINGE!! I have wanted to deny that it is sort of turning into that "LOST" feeling because I don't want it to get twisted and annoying like "Lost" did. I truly hope and cannot believe that they would permanently send Peter away. He, Olivia and Walter are what make Fringe the amazing show it is. I hope that the writers/directors/powersthatbe tone it down a bit, so the show takes on a not-so-fantastical feel and gets back to its roots. I have enjoyed this "alternate universe" story line but I think it is tiptoeing on the side of crazy and I want to see the creators show some restraint and not get carried away into the next season. Long live Fringe!

May 8, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  20. Groupon

Thanks for the inquiry Sunshine Girl. Fortunately, I have relationships at the manufacturing level. That allows me to sell my products at a discount compared to retail. Call me for inquiries or better yet, to place an order.

May 8, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  21. Sunshine Girl *

@Groupon..Why are they 1/2 price? I noticed your advertisement on every blog and was just curious. Over abundence maybe?

May 8, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  22. Make Mama Proud

@Peace...Where I live I watch re runs of Fringe on Saturday nights at 10 pm on my local Fox Station. Fox 14. FYI...Check your local Fox station where you live. It may be syndicated I dont know.

May 8, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  23. Peace

I was addicted to Lost, this sounds like my kinda show. Wish I would have watched it. Do they re-run b4 new season?

May 7, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  24. shiprock

Mindbending S.F. at it's best. Unreal S.F is always the best,

May 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  25. sunless

get to that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

May 7, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  26. perryrants

knowing the producers work they will have a third alternate universe to play with (see star trek the awful version)

May 7, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. keldoran

I am a big fan of science fiction.This show was,at times,difficult to watch as it would be really interesting then become predictable.I am glad that it has done so well.We need more mind expanding shows.

May 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mark

Al, I love Fringe, but believable? Fringe has NEVER been believable. Most of the science it uses will fall apart after only the smallest bit of scrutiny.

May 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  29. FrankIsMyPersonalPuppet4EverBWAAHAAHAAHAA

BWAA HAA HAA HAA!

May 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Al

I am a fan of "Fringe" but I expect Walter, at any moment, to say, "We have to go back to the island!" (LOL) I mean really, JJ, please try to make one of your show actually make some sense without wild speculation as what it ACTUALLY means! (PLEASE!!!) I have followed "Fringe" from episode 1 and have loved it, but I feel it is going in the 'down the rabbit hole" style that eventually made "Lost" lose its appeal!!! JJ – get a straight story and make it at least somewhat believable – OK?

May 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Peg

I thought the ending was creative and exciting ... the kind of finale that makes me want the new season to start right away! The series is fun and thought provoking and I sure hope it does not get cancelled!

May 7, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  32. keldoran

I am a big an of science fiction.This show was,at times,difficult to watch as it would be really interesting then become predictable.I am glad that it has done so well.We need more mind expanding shows.

May 7, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • GunnerGA

OUTSTANDING. I, too, feel a little bit of Lost snuck in... but I loved it. I think it is more in the way a story is told than the story itself... except for the floating casket in flames (The Others had a funeral like that, too). This story is much simpler, however. Everything revolves around a single man's love for his child going so far as to have unintended consequences. These shows reflect the unintended consequences of that love. Nothing more. The question going forward is whether they can put Humpty Dumpty together again and the manner in which it occurs... that is the fun part. And I am along for the ride for as long as they are willing to make it interesting, thoughtful, and fun.

May 7, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |