Olivia Wilde opens up on the end of her marriage
May 6th, 2011

Olivia Wilde opens up on the end of her marriage

If Olivia Wilde looks like she's having a ball with her co-stars in her movies, that part's probably not an act.

"I’ve been lucky to have chemistry with my co-stars, and I really enjoy pretend kissing," Wilde, who has worked with Justin Timberlake ("Now"), Ryan Reynolds ("The Change-Up") and Daniel Craig ("Cowboys & Aliens"), tells the June issue of Glamour. "If you’re pretending to love each other, you’ve got to find something to fall in love with."

In real life, however, her romantic life has been more rocky. In February, Wilde announced that she and her Italian prince hubby Ruspoli were separating after eight years of marriage.

"It was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do," says the "House M.D." star, who wed at 18. "We got engaged at Burning Man and married on a school bus. We were not conventional. I think the promise we always made was that if we are no longer happy, we won’t continue. And it got to the point where I was working 10 months of the year outside of L.A. and he was doing incredible things in other places. We were no longer partners in crime."

Wilde adds that she doesn't view the experience as a failure. "The mark of a good marriage is partnership and continuing to feel inspired by your spouse. I had that with Tao," she says. "But the end is not necessarily the tragedy. Staying in a relationship that is no longer working is the tragedy. Living unhappily—that’s the tragedy."

As for dating again, Wilde, who has been linked in recent months to Timberlake and Ryan Gosling, says she is open to being in another committed relationship.

"I don’t want to, but I probably will. I wish I could play the field. But it’s so not me," she says. "I go 100 percent into everything. And I’m a really good girlfriend."

1. Seth

Tim, "nobody", the woof?.. and ...bob....

You all sound like you never leave the front of your computer screen. You're judging lives that you don't understand or will never come close to experiencing. Miriam sounds like a bitter old mom.
    You guys (sort of) make the world interesting..... its pathetic.

I'm not really a 'commenter' .. but this was too funny.

Oh, and Olivia is fcking awesome.

October 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tim

That is one messed up and dare I say, burned chick

May 11, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. nobody

When her face isn't sprayed over she's got horrible acne

May 9, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The Woof

She really doesn't sound like a person that's able to commit to anything. If they both really loved each other they would have found a way to work things out. But Que sera sera!

May 9, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bob

Got engaged at Burning Man and married on a school bus. Who would have guessed it wouldn't last?

May 9, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Miriam

Wow!

She is physically very beautiful but my goodness is she shallow. If I had to work away from my husband for 9-10 months out of the year HELL IT WOULD SUCK!!! But I'll be damned if I'm going to fall out of love for him and use that as an excuse to end my marriage. Sounds to me like she married she was young and naive, its still no excuse.

May 9, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Andacar

When you scratch the surface of 99% of Hollywood "Stars" you find more surface.

May 9, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ashley

Everyone who is posting about her statement of being apart for 10 months out of the year, i doubt that was the only factor. There was a lot more to it than that i'm sure. Olivia is an amazing actress and i'm sure she will find someone again. You people who are bad-mouthing her are just jealous that you'll never get a chance with anyways. Please show some respect.

May 8, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
    • LL

While I agree that there were other factors at play other than her being apart from her husband, the reality of it is that she uses that superficial excuse of physical separation as the primary end of her marriage. Relationships are complicated and she sounds about as deep as a puddle.

Even if she doesn't know what the real reason is, she should've said so and she should spend some time doing a little more self-evaluation before talking about why her marriage failed rather than act like a know-it-all starlet whose bound to have yet another failed marriage waiting in the wings for her.

May 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ladyblahblah

I certainly hope that all the marriage experts posting here volunteer to council young couples at your churches or community groups and don't limit the sharing of your wisdom to comments in response to a celebrity divorce story. Surely you realize that many people look at marriage as a secular legal agreement which our laws allow either party to dissolve, and that it's not some unbreakable blood oath. I don't believe the two parties involved have children and it doesn't indicate that anyone or anything is being harmed by their actions, so why the harsh judgment toward actions by two consenting adults who are attempting to have happier lives?

May 7, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • E

Exactly! Let the couple do as they please since they've broken no laws and it doesn't appear that they're trashing each other in the media. People are definitely judgmental these days.

May 9, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. nick

part of being in a marriage is about working it out especially with your career no matter how busy, big or famous you become. tao loved olivia before she was even famous. i dont care if she's gone for 10 months, that is no reason to break off. divorce is a big deal. what a joke. so disappointed in olivia. never expected it from her.

May 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Wolf

Call me!

May 7, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. Buck

Not that there haven't been success stories out there, but 18 is very young to make a lifelong commitment. I totally agree that unhappiness in a relationship (if you TRULY KNOW it's not going to work) is the real tragedy. I just hope she really did try to make an effort in her vows before ending it. But only she and her ex know the whys & whats of how their marriage ended.
    She's a good actress so far (and lets's be honest, quite striking); I really only know her from 'House' and 'Tron' at this point, and have enjoyed her performances so far.
    I think that she has just started her way up the A-list and her star is (moving even higher) on the rise. Based on her statement about 10mos of work, it sounds like that takes priority with her.

May 7, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • StillGoing

Buck, 18 is not too young if you commit to being faithful to each other, to stay together in good times and bad and be each others best friend. I married at 18, had our first child a year later, and we are still crazy about each other. We celebrate 40 years together Memorial Day. It all depends on how hard you are willing to work at making your marriage work.

May 9, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dave

Crazy!!! If being married to a prince isn't romantic enough, what is? Good luck to any Hollywood schmuck who dates this girl. Seems like she's kinda loose. IMO.

May 7, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. K9Girl

I agree with Wzrd1 100%..Where is the commitment? Being apart due to work is not a reason to throw away Vows. Where did commitment and cherishing one another go? Some people just treat marriage in such a blase manner. Perhaps they shouldn't have married to begin with. Sad really. If the love is there and the commitment to stand behind your choice (both partners need to), then there is no reason for a marriage to end. At least, not for these types of reasons. Typical me me me society.

May 6, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sarah

I personally love Olivia Wilde as an actress. i also believe the end of the marriage came from more then just being apart 10 months out of the year. but i obviously don't know her personally so i'll never really know. but it is nice that there's a celebrity out there that still openly believes in committed relationships.

May 6, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Calaizzo Michael Demarco

Large talent.

May 6, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Michael A. A. Calaizzo

A great person and big talent.

May 6, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Myrna Band -Siesta Key

A wonderful person.

May 6, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Deamrco Michael Calaizzo

She has great talent.

May 6, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  20. David Michael Calaizzo

She will be a Wonderful wife and Mother.

May 6, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Aaron Michael Calaizzo-Great Valley

She will remarry and soon.

May 6, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Larry

"And I'm a really good girlfried."

Most "good girlfriends" make lousy wives.

May 6, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  23. sj

... and I've got reverything she will need to go 100 percent..... : ) mmmmmmmm.

May 6, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  24. J

When the going gets a little tough....get a divorce. Yup, sounds like she's really looked deep inside and pondered what real love is.

May 6, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

What little tough? Family separation? Our military does far more time apart from their families, I guess all of those people are just being silly staying married, huh?
      Bleh, damaged goods.

May 6, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

I definitely agree! I was just discussing with my mother-in-law how easy it is to get a divorce these days, it's so ridiculous. Nobody wants to work on a relationship anymore, they just give up when things get a little difficult. It's pretty ridiculous!

May 9, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • marriage is tradegy

are you people serious? if she wasnt happy in her marriage then she wasnt happy. just because she didnt force herself to stay in a marriage doesnt make her an idiot or a hussy. open your eyes and realize just how much pressure is put on people to get married in the first place. especially for women to get married early on.

May 10, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  25. blaze

I love you Olivia Wilde!

May 6, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Luke

I agree Chase. That beauty is only skin deep. What a ditz.

May 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jona

She has to say "I'm a really good girlfriend" sounds like a commercial for her services

May 6, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Chase

That may be one of the worst definitions of marriage...glad I wouldn't ever be in a relationship with her.

May 6, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Wow! So, if my wife and I were apart for most of the year, our marriage is over?
      Glad we didn't know THAT one, otherwise we'd NOT be married for over 29 years and counting, as we were apart 9-10 months of the year a LOT during my military career of over 27 years.
      Silly people...

May 6, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Tom

Wow... I think she's back in my celebrity top 5. Right between Kate Beckinsale and Marisa Miller.

May 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |