May 6th, 2011

'Home Alone' house for sale for $2.4 million

Not many people would want to buy a house with a history of being burglarized, but when it's the "Home Alone" house, that's another story.

The red-brick Winnetka, Ill., colonial Georgian featured in the blockbuster 1990 Macaulay Culkin movie has just been put on the market and can be had for a cool $2.4 million, reports Chicago's WGN.

Though Culkin isn't included in the asking price, it will get you a 4,250-square-foot residence with 14 rooms, four bedrooms, 3.2 baths, a screened-in porch, a chandelier, and a staircase suitable for sledding.

Unfortunately there will be no open houses for this hot property, which sits on a half-acre lot—qualified buyers must make an appointment for a viewing.

“It would be a zoo,” said Marissa Hopkins of Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage. “There are a lot of people who would like to see the Home Alone house if they were given the opportunity.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. bathtubs for sale

If you are installing the bathtub yourself, just be sure that you can do proper tub incloser. If not, the simplest bathtubs are the claw foot type, which can be installed by anyone. This kind of tub is just placed in the space provided and you can have the plumber hook up the pipes.

February 23, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Learn About Home Window Tinting

I liked as much as you will obtain performed proper here. The comic strip is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nevertheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. in poor health without a doubt come more before once more as precisely the same just about a lot steadily within case you protect this increase.

April 12, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. facebook fans

Thanks , I have just been searching for info approximately this topic for a while and yours is the best I've discovered till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you certain about the source?|What i don't understood is in fact how you are now not really much more smartly-liked than you might be now. You are so intelligent.

March 31, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. le referencement web

Howdy very cool web site!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds also?I am happy to seek out a lot of useful information here in the publish, we'd like work out more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

March 31, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. victoria

can i give you imaginary money to buy that house? I dont know who would have that kind of money realistically, but I actually work hard for my money.

May 9, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Woof

Nice home but as stated the price stated is the price asked. I'd give them 250K tops. Because what they are asking for equates out to roughly 5600k per sq ft! Outrageous!!

May 9, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Inachu

I'll buy it when I win the mega lotto. Then only pretty girls are allowed to live there with me and no other man but me is allowed inside the house other than the girls REAL family members.

May 9, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. hmm

Who wants to commute to either crime ridden Chicago or Miami.?. Guess the price is right as long as you have no need to actually go to Chicago for anything. Would prefer to live away from the gangs and crime of either Chicago or Miami!

May 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bill

I love reading these posts with all the idiots who have no clue what the cost of living is outside of their own state. I'm guessing all of you who think this house is worth $ 300-500,000 (or less) live in the south or midwest, where real estate values are low because there is low demand due to zero affluence and the general dumpiness and undesirability of where you live. It may be hard for you to believe, but not everywhere is like that. Some places, like Chicago, South Florida, New York and California, actually have appeal to people who can afford more than a trailer.

May 9, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sick_of_money

And people arent being ignorant... im very sure market price is whatever you say it is. Mr Real Estate expert. ...

It doesnt matter if its accurate... the real estate market isnt a very good side of America. Just like the Gas industry... People edging further and further into our pockets for your own gain. ... Money is a sickness in this country. We should be pricing homes so people can afford them, people can live a normal life and not one of constant bills and overdue notices... I watched my mother lose a wonderful home because the taxes and the mortgage was just too much ... She couldnt feed us kids and keep the home. ... now she lives in a trailer in the south. ... Her dreams smashed... with no reconciliation to any of it. ... Its appaling, that all of that sacrifice she had to make for us, and Im not going to be any better off. ... I cant even pay off my school loans. This country is squeezing the life out of me and so many others. ... Its horrifing.

May 9, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sick_of_money

I barely live paycheck to paycheck in a decent job... and Im never NEVER N E V E R... going to pay more than 100k for a home. ... ever. ... all you rich people saying "oh this is a Prim and Proper price for such a fine home".... are all jerks.

You over price, and under pay... its the American way. Like Enron, or other corruptions in this country. You get rich by abusing the system and people ... and then have the audacity to say its normal??!?!? ... Its a large home. Its not worth more than 500k. It should be split into 5-6 apartments, so real people can afford to live there.

May 9, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. steph

some of you people are complete morons. take 2minutes and browse a real estate site for winnetka,ill and you will see this house is priced right for the area. ignorance...

May 9, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. gfr

That is cheap for a house in upscale Winnetka. Lots of house for 2.4 Million, well worth it.

May 9, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. AJ

Granted the house is a nice, huge house... but at the end of the day... it's just a house and unfortunately, in today's market, nobody is going to pay the ridiculous asking price... I don't care how big the house is...

May 9, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. MIAMI

I live in Miami.... A house of that size would be waaaaayy more pricey!

May 9, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  16. fmrchicagosuburbs

For those of you who say that this house should be in the $300-600k range, man, you're just showing your ignorance! In the past year, I sold a 2700 sq foot 4 bedroom house for $528k in a NW Chicago suburbs that has a fraction of the reputation that Winneteka does. Add to that, my house had 1/10th the architectural character this one does (and likely just a fraction of the higher end amenities inside).

Then add to that one of the highest rated school districts in the nation – AND – a short train ride into the heart of downtown Chicago? Location, location, location, baby.

This one might not end up selling for $2.4 million, but I'd be surprised if the final sale price was much under $1.8 million.

May 9, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  17. C

That house is huge. I don't see why people are saying that it should be under 1 million. Apparently alot of you live in cheap areas. And it is idiotic to say that "people can bring the prices of housing down by refusing to pay them" – that shows no understanding of economics and standard of living. The house is huge, and is in an affluent community. 2.4 million for the house is reasonable.

May 9, 2011 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  18. brad

I lived in Winnetka for a few years and I attended high school at New Trier...best public high school you could possibly imagine.

Winnetka is an amazing village and most of you would give your left nut to live there if you knew how great it was/is.

May 8, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Wallpaper fan!

What happened to all the glorious floral wallpaper!? what a shame...

May 8, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • pamela

I agree..I loved the way they had it decorated for Home Alone with all the warm reds greens etc. much nicer than the way it is now. The wallpaper was beautiful too. I wonder if the basement is the same??

May 9, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  20. Rob

I'd rather have the house from the Lovecraft story for a measly $925K

May 8, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Pattycakes

Winnetka is not only one of the most affluent communities in Illinois but in
    the country. 2.4 million is chump change for someone who could actually afford to live in Winnetka.

May 8, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Just Say No to WASPs

If I was able to afford something like that I'd rather buy 2.4 million dollars worth of acreage.

May 8, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. MJ

This is actually a beautiful home in an amazing neighborhood. It's one of the smaller houses on the block too! The "Murphy's" house really is across the street too!

May 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  24. CONSWALA

HOUSKEEPING? i CLEAN?

May 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. The Fury

Look how expensive your house is you little jerk!

May 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Dimples

Where I live in the upper Midwest a 2400 square foot house goes for $110,000.This house would go for $500,000 to $600,000.I live in a city that is known for it world famous health care.Most people in my town work either there or at IBM.

May 8, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dustin

This isn't Rochester,MN (used to live close) houses in this neighborhood go for that easily.

May 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  27. ralph

that house is not worth 2 million its worth 100,000 they be luckie to get that in this economy

May 8, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  28. Mike Land

I miss Mr. Hughes. He was a class act. His movies defined my generation. I always thought I would do well in Shermer, Il. I wanted to attend his schools from the movies because non of my schools were like that. Maybe they only exist in movies like the town of Shermer itself. Home Alone was an era of movies where we took grandma and grandpa to the theater with us. Sure grandma would laugh loudly and make comments heard by 5 rows in each direction. But we needed movies like that. So the era of Mr. Hughes will never happen again. Nobody can replace him. We should all hope for that when we pass.

May 8, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  29. Reg

Blockbuster from 21yrs ago! Yes I remember going there, watching the movie in the cinema with friends. The good old days of people to people contact! Why can't life be like that anymore? Don't tell me it's the economy! I think it's the social culture & fabric that's been affected thanks to modern consumer technology, and consequent loss of contact with ground realities. Too much of a "good" thing?!

May 8, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  30. Paul

Even in this recession, $2.4 million for a house of this size sounds about right. I live in NJ about 30mins from NYC and a similar home here would EASILY cost this much. Only around here what scares off buyers of homes of this size isn't the PRICE its the TAXES. The average homeowners tax here in my town is $12,000 which i pay on my 1,800sq ft home. The taxes on this house would easily top $25,000.

May 8, 2011 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  31. stacy

I just watched this movie the other day and was thinking how awesome it would be to own that house....now I just need 2 mill!

May 7, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  32. How do you say GREED?

Talk about gouging. Certainly not worth more than a million.

May 7, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  33. D

Wow. Clearly you schmohawks aren't from Illinois. This house will sell for upwards of 2 mill. Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park and the surrounding suburbs are insanely expensive. Besides, this house is f**ing huge, on a nice piece of land in a great area, not to mention it is in a hell of a suburb.
    DISCLAIMER- I don't live around there, frankly, I hate how people around the North Shore flaunt their wealth and act like complete pretentious jagoffs. I just know that this house will sell for WAYYYYY more than 300K.

May 7, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  34. John

Bunch of crybaby, envious wannabe real estate experts. Can't anyone just say, "Nice house, with some amusing cinematic history, I hope the owners do alright in the deal"?

May 7, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Patrick

3.2 bathrooms and Fuller still wets the bed?

May 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Delnaz Dadachanji

Its awesome. Had a client who sold earlier and bought later. In such cases trust http://su.pr/8je0Cr

May 7, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  37. gabriel

as long as the huge tarantula is still living somewhere in there I wouldn't want it even if it's free.

May 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Dan

There are some true idiots on this page.

4200 sq ft for 300k??

Even in a bad economy thats a stretch. Unless of course you people are stacking double wides down in alabama.

May 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just Sayin'

Dan- I just saw a 6,085 square foot home, on 6.56 acres of land on sale for 395 thousand dollars. It was not trailers on top of one another either. It was a fairly new brick house. It had 6 bathrooms too.
      Believe it or not, some homes that are in perfect condition, and absolutely amazing, can be sold at a pretty cheap price.
      You just have to look for these deals.

May 8, 2011 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  39. SometimesElla

2.4 million? That's a freaking steal. Where I live that would start at no less than 8.

May 7, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  40. Trevor

Having 2/10's of bathroom is easily worth 2 million.

May 7, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  41. AC Summers

Priced based on a movie today is NOT worth 2.5mil.
    If current stars in LA can't sale their million $$ homes then what make the owners of this house think they can sell it based on a 20+ yr old movie? DUH..

May 7, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  42. Home Alone Too

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi33qezO6Y&w=640&h=390]

May 7, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  43. Mary

Beat that, you little trout sniffer.

May 7, 2011 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  44. Bob

Interesting it's the same layout as the "Amityville Horror" house.

May 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  45. bryan

Are they sure that is the correct sq footage? 4250 doesn't seem like much for 14 rooms.

May 6, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • HandsomeCajun

that's main floor NOT total livable space. You include the 2nd floor, maybe a finish basement, some attic space and you're looking over 10K sq/ft

May 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  46. David Katzz/David S. Band

Great property.

May 6, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Aaron Michael Calaizzo

How many bathrooms?

May 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Scott

What exactly does "3.2 bath" mean? How do you have a .2 bath? What about a 3.125 bath?

PROOFREAD MUCH?

May 6, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Marin

Very true, bubba, concerning the price of houses in Dallas – One BIG draw back you didn't mention though................... then you have to live in TX.

May 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

So true. Dive the asking price by some constant, like pi or Planck's.

May 6, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Panties

Just what the hell do you think is wrong with living in Texas? A$$Dummy!

May 9, 2011 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  50. kino

i'd never pay even $300k for it. just take the money and go to southeast asia... can live happily there after...

May 6, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  51. adrian

Id buy it, then Id run around the house yelling, then eat candys and ice cream and watch rubbish! hahah just like kevin did!

May 6, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  52. sj

$1.4 million more than Bin Laden's compound, and not as many rooms??? way overpriced for sure.... : )

May 6, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  53. American Public

@ Jeff, I know exactly what 3.5 bathrooms means. I grew up in a LAKESIDE house on a full acre in the PA countryside with 4 bedrooms and 3.5 bathrooms in a modern development that currently hovers around $300k on zillow. Those Home Alone house is WAAAAAAAY overpriced...but some retard will buy it because of its "fame."

May 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

Come on. You can'r be dumb enough to compare a Lake house in PA to one near Lake Michigan in Winnetka.

95% of you people are too stupid to grasp the concept of supply and demand let alone real estate. Many people are getting asking price for their houses these days. It depends on location(huge factor), cleanliness and whether their asking was at market equilibrium.

May 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  54. American Public

2.4 million in today's economy? LMAO good luck. It Illinois, not CA or NY. I bet it sells for around $500k in 5 years.

May 6, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

I have friends that just sold their 3bd 2.5 bath home in Morton Grove (about 15mins from this house) for $900,000. See my other posts folks. Yes we are in a recession and nation wide home values have plummeted but not in prime areas like this. Its all about location.

May 8, 2011 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Wake Up

LMAO. It's not middle-of-nowhere Illinois, it's Chicago. You do understand that different areas in the same state can have different housing markets, right? Location, location, location...

May 9, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  55. City Dweller

Listen you yokels, that amount of space in a Manhattan apt. will cost you between 5 and 10 Mil, excluding surrounding acreage. This house would cost you between 3 and 5 Mil in a nice NY suburb. 2.4 Mil would be a bargain in NY area. There's only one way to know if it's a fair price. Look at comparable sales in that neighborhood.

May 6, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

The people posting on here have NO clue. You couldn't be more correct. I'm only 30mins away from you in NJ and this house would be a bargain at that size, location, school district and all brick construction. If middle America saw our property tax bill here they would DROP DEAD.

May 8, 2011 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  56. Pain@thePump

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 6, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  57. denise

God I wish! that is a sweet house1

May 6, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Kevin

Seems like a missed opportunity to me...they could make a nice amount by charging admission to see the house.

May 6, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  59. PPPPP

it only has 4 bedrooms??? Not worth it!

May 6, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  60. BRAD

YOU PEOPLE NEED A JOB... Most of the comments sound like they are from teenagers.

May 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • brad's boy

brad I have a job. I am at it now. this is the funniest comment section I've ever read at cnn.com. It's 3:30 in the morning and I am cracking up.

May 7, 2011 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
    • confused

Huh? What are you talking about?

May 9, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  61. Jeff

You all seriously don't know what 3.2 bathrooms means. (shakes head)

May 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jeff

You all seriously don't know what 3.2 bathrooms means.(shakes hesd)

May 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jeff

You all seriously don't know what 3.2 bathrooms means.(skakes head)

May 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Real

Well. honestly speaking 2.4 million in todays economy? No way it will even sell for 2 million. I would say 1.3 million the max at today economy. 14 rooms but 4 bedroom onlys? so it is actually a 4 bedtoom 3.5 bathroom house that sell for 2.4 million? It is abit dated as well ...we are at 2011 now..

May 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • StillPlentyOfDemand

"Today's economy" is not going to have an impact on this sale. There was, is, and will be enough demand for houses in this particular locale and at this price point for the seller to get their asking price. The target market for this property has not been hit as hard as the rest of the country...

May 9, 2011 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  65. Ed

I heard there is a compound on the market for 1 million that includes 2 houses but the commute is bad. One owner (deceased)

May 6, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  66. mikeloz1971

You guys give up yet? Or are you thirsty for more?

May 6, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  67. DJ

Why isn't anybody mentioning that this house was also Steve Martin's house in the comedy classic "Planes, Trains and Automobiles"?!

May 6, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  68. PAPilot

AVM says it's worth $1.4M and not a penny more.

May 6, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  69. KFC

No one will pay that much I only paid $150k for my hollow Home Depot special located nowhere desirable.

May 6, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Cheap mansion

I love living in rural Illinois – I own a 3600 square foot Georgian home, built in 1904ish, similar to this one, once owned by a powerful family (the Logan family – after whom Logan Park in Chicago is named). I paid $200,000 for it just a couple of years ago. Ahhhhhhhhh, real estate...

May 6, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Luke

That's the silver tuna.

May 6, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Grumpster

Ferris Beuller's friend Cameron's house is up for sale to – google it. Was 2.3M now 1.6M – a real bargain. Pheh.

May 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  73. poopika

You would think for 2.4 million they could have at least included the statue that the pizza guy always knocked over..

May 6, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • statue

The crazy Little Nero's pizza dude broke me off at my feet in part II, remember?

May 6, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  74. grofys

i'd rather live in the "christmas story" house.

May 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • You could have!

That house was for sale a couple of years ago! I read that some 30-something guy bought it and has since turned it into a museum dedicated to the movie. Check out http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com.

May 6, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  75. etwon

You obviously are not from the area. I live not far from the house in the north shore of Chicago and my little, frame, 3br house, on a tiny lot is worth ~$500k. This is in one of the most prestigious town in Illinois, on the Chicago North shore, and surrounded by multi-million homes. In this economy I'd say it'll sell for 2 mil. In a good economy 2.5 mil.

May 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Adub15837

I live in Winnetka, just a few blocks from this home and I can tell you wholeheartedly that this is a very reasonable price for a house. The property taxes, even for a half acre, are crazy high in Winnetka. It is the second most expensive place to live in the state behind Kenilworth, our next door neighbor. 2.4 is relatively low considering that the lakeview homes in Winnetka usually start around 5-7 million and get as high as 15 million. It's crazy, but it's the truth. Tack on the historical value of the house, and there is absolutely no way it will go for below 2 mil.... I mean wouldn't you want to respond to the question "Where do you live" with, "I live in the Home-Alone House!"

May 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Rob

How can people say this house isnt worth this much? It is a huge home with land that is walking distance to Lake Michigan, 30 min from downtown Chicago, and in an upscale neighborhood. Actually sounds reasonable to me. The same house in Santa Monica (which is about the same specs- close to beach, 30min from downtown LA, etc) would probably be closer to $4 million.

May 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

They can charge $30 million for it if they want. Bottom line is, if there aren't people around with that type of money (we're in the midst of the longest recession in this nation's history, and the middle class has been shrinking even before that began), than it's going to sit on the market forever.

May 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Yeah but this isn't a middle class house. This is clearly upper-middle to upper class, the people who could afford a place like this 15 years ago and doing at least as well now as they were then.

May 6, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Here's how people can say it's only worth $300,000. Chicago.

May 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Alverant

OK all the jokes about the 0.2 bathroom made me go look it up.

The modern way to list the bathrooms in a house is to go (full baths)(decimal point)(half baths) so a 3.2 bathroom house has three full baths and two half baths.

I'm not sure properly convey a house has 5 half baths though.

May 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • yoz

If they have 5 half bathrooms they can probably afford to print the extra few words and write it out.

May 7, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  79. bones1918

When does the house from Two and a Half Men go up for sale?

May 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Prince

I'll buy it As long as it comes the Zip Line to the Tree House!!!

May 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  81. well

I hope they still have the zipline running to the tree house!

May 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  82. yeah

I would rather buy the Hotel in the second movie

May 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Plaza Pete

"what kind of idiots do you have, running this place?!" "The finest in new York."

May 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Judge Dredd

I wouldn't buy this house you if it were growing on my ass.

I AM THE LAW

May 6, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  84. MPS

3.2 Baths = 3 Full Bathrooms and 2 Half Bathrooms. Half is toilet only.

May 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • vbscript2

That's an odd notation. Usually 3.0 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 4.0.

May 6, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • ringleader

@vbscript2 – that's EXACTLY why a half bath is noted in real estate listings as .1 and not .5, because if you had two of them, it would look like there was another full bathroom instead of two half baths, as shown by your mad math skills!

May 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • MLS

@vbscript2

Thanks for the heads up! I was planning to buy a 2 bathroom house until I saw your post. Who wants a house that only has four 1/2 baths. Be right back, gotta call the real estate agent to put a stop on the offer. . .

May 7, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  85. JDailey

I wonder if little Niro's still delivers there?

May 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Iceman83

OK I give up. What is a .2 bathroom? Must be a sink with hot and cold water hence the .2

May 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Air

Check it out.. it's old man Marley!

May 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Miss

How can you have 3.2 bathrooms? Plus i think that if they had the house open so buyers would come look i think random people would just go to look at it and then yes it would be a zoo.

May 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • :D

3.2 means three full bathrooms and a room with a toilet and sink but no bath or shower.
      :D

May 6, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • vbscript2

Actually, that would be 3.5. A half bath has a sink and commode, but not bath or shower. Not quite sure what a 0.2 bath is.

May 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • BRF

To :D

That would normally be 3.5 bathrooms not 3.2 duh

So that would mean just the toliet... not sink no shower/bath lol

May 6, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alverant

BRF,
      You still need to wash your hands when you're done. So a .2 bathroom is just a sink and a hole in the floor. Toilet paper holder is extra.

May 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • ringleader

Having recently looked for a house I can tell you that :D is right. 3.2 bathrooms is the shorthand for three full and 2 half baths. Think about it for a minute, if a half bath was noted as .5 instead of .1, what would be the shorthand if you had 2 (or more) half baths? 2 half baths noted as .5 baths each would end up looking like 1 full bath, which it obviously is not.

May 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • MLS

The 0.2 means a bathroom that has a combined toilet/sink. Makes it kinda hard to brush your teeth and take a dump at the same time, but its the latest fad in real estate.

May 7, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  89. ralk

How cool is that.

May 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Error

At least it's not the house across the street. Think of all that water damage.

May 6, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Peace

Palinwit, too funny! Ha ha ha !!!

May 6, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Bryon

I've always loved this house.

May 6, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Doodie

MOOOOOOOOOOO

May 6, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  94. Shay

3.2 bathrooms?

May 6, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • J DUB

@Shay – thats what i was thinking LOL..

May 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • R M

You can only empty half your bladder.

May 6, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • vbscript2

Yeah... I was wondering about that, too. What is an 0.2 bath? I've heard of 0.75 for having a commode, sink, and shower, but no bath, but I haven't heard of a 0.2 bath. Maybe you just get the sink basin and drain with no faucet? Perhaps they leave you a pitcher to bring the water in with?

May 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • ringleader

In most real estate listings, "3.2 bathrooms" means three full bathrooms and 2 half bathrooms - meaning no shower or bathtub, just a toilet and a sink.

May 6, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  95. NANCY

Is Macaley Culkin still in one of the closets ? Its about time he finally came out. . . . . . .

May 6, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

Well, seeing as how he has been dating Mila Kunis for the past 3 -5 years or so, I think he's a got a firm hold on his hetero card. Nice try though.

May 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mila

Aaron, I've finally grown up and moved on. Until recently I had a lot of self-respect issues. Nancy's right, Macauley is a huge flamer.

May 6, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Sarge

Remember "Planes Trains & Automobiles"? This is also the Neal Page residence. Just think, you could look out the front window and picture Neal and Del Griffith walking down the street with the 200 lb foot locker.

May 6, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Um No

Sarge, it's not the same house.

May 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarge

@Umm No
      Yes it is the same house. John Hughes directed both films, and used this same location. Look it up online if you do not believe me, or better yet, watch the movie. Not hard to tell at all from the exterior/interior shots.

May 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarge

@Um No
      Well, my bad. You're right....it isn't the same house. I had read a while back that it was, and all this time I thought it was the same place. In fact, if you look at both movies, the homes are very similar. I thought I'd look again, and found this website which shows both houses (plus other filming locations by movies of John Hughes). http://www.arubinow.com/html/shooting_locations.html

May 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  97. J Ray

I wonder if the walls are smeared with poooop ?

May 6, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  98. Donaldo

Keep the change ya filthy animal

May 6, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  99. jv

Thanks Ted for weiging in on the real estate market.

May 6, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  100. Ted

In todays economy and with declining home prices ther is no way they will get anywhere close to 2 mil.

May 6, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • DW

Ted – In Winnetka, IL, this house could easily go for $2.5M, and that has little to do with the house's notoriety. It's all about location, location, location.

May 6, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • bubba

Location can certainly make a difference. In a Dallas suburb – a house like this would be about $350k-400k, in a fashionable area in the city of Dallas: $1.2M-1.8M, and in Highland Park (exclusive incorporated town in the middle of Dallas): $3.5-5M.

May 6, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • w

Uhh.. Ted.. they're not advertising to people who can only afford a $300,000 house, you know. And nobody in their right mind would sell a house worth over a million for $300,000 either. Do you know what that would do to the prices of properties that aren't as nice as this? If you sell a 4250 sqft house for $300,000, what do you think your 1500 sqft houses or condos will sell for?

May 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dork Dork

Do not mind Ted, he does not know anything about the housing market ($300k vs $2.5 huge difference). Please don't hate him either but educate him and give him some lesson, advice, etc. Peace everyone!

May 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Ted

Id give 300,000. It really isnt worth any more than that.

May 6, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Ted, they're ASKING that price, doesn't mean they'll get it.
      Personally, I'd not pay more than 500k for it.
      But then, I already HAVE a house.

May 6, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

May 6, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

mike, this is Illinois, not California or New York. This is also the middle of a recession, when wages have been stagnant/decreased over the past 15 years. I'd say $1,000,000 given the area, and that's being generous.

May 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe in Colorado

The only reason houses are that expensive in your area is because there's an endless line of fools who will pay it. People refuse to pay, then the value drops. It's a pretty easy concept.

May 6, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Midwest

"I'm not sure where you guys live, but where I am anything with four bedrooms is over 1 million. That is a nice house."

Here in the midwest, in this economy, you could get this house, on a lake, with a sauna, whirlpool, etc, and twice as much land for probably 600K. Nothing special other than the film usage.

May 6, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

This isn't some crappy track house in a subdivision. Older, quality built, houses demand big $$$ and this house is just that. Will they get their asking price? Doubtful as no one does anymore, but they'll certainly get close.

May 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

$300K would only buy a nice infinity pool with an outdoor BBQ island and some cute patio furniture.

May 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • SKyle

@ Mike – You must live in one of those states that is up to its eyeballs in debt and the state employees are being paid in I.O.U.s. The rest of us live in reality. You should give it a try. This house couldn't be worth more than 500K. There's nothing special about four bedrooms.

May 6, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

The house is in Winnetka, arguably the most affluent and desireable suburb of Chicago. Honestly, seems like a steal given the suqare footage and lot size. Steal for someone in the price braket, which I am most certainly not.

May 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erin

Buy it for $300K. Then I'll give you $50K for it because it's not worth a penny more than that. Equally stupid post as yours, enjoy!

May 7, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Col

Its' a beautiful home , but worth 2.4 only because home a lone was shot there. You can buy New York apts. for that price.

May 7, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • hamid

Winnetka is a very affluent neighborhood on chicagos north shore. Your kids would go the same high school as did Rahm Emmanuel, Donald Rumsfeld and Charlton Heston.

May 7, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tes

@Mike were do you leave that houses that have 4bedrooms are 2million. My home has 6 bedrooms. 3 full baths, an in ground pool, hot tub, and a volleyball court with sand. I live In Illinois. And my house is around 300K. What a rip off where ever you are at

May 7, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

The average listing price in Winnetka is 1.8 MILLION. This is a large house, more like a small mansion. I think the price is fair, and I think using the house's fame to boost the price is also fair.

May 8, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • James

Holy crap you people are egotistical jerks. Why don't actually go to the real estate company's website and look for yourself. I'm sorry, but 2.4mil is not a bad deal for that neighborhood – especially for a house that a classic movie was filmed in.

May 8, 2011 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Natalie

This house is on Chicago's NorthShore and is absolutely gorgeous. Clearly some of you people are not familiar with nicer areas. $2.4 mil is a legitimate asking price for the house and area.

May 8, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Apparently many of you are unfamiliar with the concept of location, location, location. You can take a $500,000 mansion from in the middle of nowhere, Arkansas, and plop it on an empty lot in New York City or San Francisco, and it would sell for $20 million dollars.

May 8, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • cant even buy my shoes for 300k

sir, you can't even buy a pair of my shoes for 300k. go learn about nice places around america and then come back and give a legitimate answer.

May 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

"Mike" and his wallstreet/ceo "chums" are from another world........................

May 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nell

If you actually listen to the story this house was bought by the last owner in 1988 for over 800,000 dollars. Home values are determined by location not just the size/ # of rooms. Do a little research on the average value of a home in the north shore of Chicago, particularly Winnetka, and then you'll realize the asking price is not that crazy and that there are plenty of people in that area who can afford to buy it.

May 8, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

lol , where I live this houve would be at least 6 million, i caanot even buy a studio for 400 000 cash.But its not USA, damn the dollar is falling

May 8, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corey

WTH are you people talking about? $300k-$500k? This isn't California or New York?
      Winnetka is a stone's throw from Lake Michigan and is surrounded by golf courses, country clubs, parks and forests. It has an amazing school system and an average income of $167,458.

May 9, 2011 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  102. Jjv

You need some help man.

May 6, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  103. inachu

That whole state needs help! That whole state is totally lost and nothing will save it.

May 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |