Who will be leaving the 'Idol' Top 5?
May 5th, 2011

Who will be leaving the 'Idol' Top 5?

SPOILER ALERT – Tonight's "Idol" blog will reveal who is leaving the competition, so please don't read if you don't want to know.

8:57 p.m. –  Jacob leaves us tonight by singing some Luther Vandross.

As he sings "A House Is Not a Home," I am reminded of how much I loved him in the beginning.

Some of us will miss you Mantasia. Fare thee well, Jacob. 8:55 p.m. – And the person going home tonight is...

Jacob!

He says he thinks America fell in love with him and now he can go put out great R & B.

8:45 p.m. – Back to the results. Poor Lauren looks like she is about to lose it.

Next up is Jacob, and Iovine thinks both songs for him were off and he blames it on Jacob "losing confidence." Jacob is off to join Lauren.

Jimmy Iovine dug that Haley showed "no fear in the face of being criticized." He gives her a 10 and says she won the night. Hayley steps over to join James.

That leaves us with young Scotty and Iovine loves him and thinks he's going to have a great career whether he wins "Idol" or not.

Ryan lets him know that he has never been in the bottom two and he's not tonight either. Scotty is safe!

Seacrest tries to get him to go stand with the bottom two and he won't do it. He drags Scotty over to James and Haley.

But it's a trick! They are all safe!

That means Lauren and Jacob are in the bottom two. Lauren is beside herself and in tears. Don't cry wee one!

8:44 p.m. –  There is more La Lopez.

We are treated to a clip of her next single "I'm Into You," and WHO is the guy in the video with her? He was muy caliente!

8:33 p.m. – Gordon Ramsay is back.

Jacob and Lauren have to do a blind taste test. Lauren beats him by identifying tofu and a hot dog. Well alrighty then.

Randy, Ryan and Steven Tyler are in the audience with popcorn for Jennifer's performance of "On the Floor." The song is No. 1 in 18 countries.

J-Lo comes out with a few of her dance moves and then she goes hard with the grooves.She's rocking the crowd, Pitbull is rocking the crowd and Steven Tyler dumps a massive bucket of popcorn in celebration.

I've missed you Jenny from the block!

8:26 p.m. – First up is James.

Jimmy Iovine says James needs to learn to control his emotions because he messed up his second song choice.

James is sent to start a group on the far side.

Lauren is up next and Iovine things that because she failed to nail the big note in "Unchained Melody," she could be in the bottom two. Lauren is sent to start a new group.

Where is this going?

8:23 p.m. –  The contestants give us some insight into how they select songs.

It really is a crucial process, but the kids make it funny. As for how they select wardrobe, we revisit that hideous blue gingham jacket Jacob wore. That one almost kept me up at night.

8:16 p.m. - We move from the food to one of my favorite groups, Lady Antebellum, singing their new single, "Just a Kiss."

Their harmonies are so tight. Love!

8:12 p.m. – Gordon Ramsay makes the contestants cook an omelette.

Why is this happening?

Lauren and Jacob cook the best eggs it seems. Yeah. I don't get it either.

8:05 p.m. – Why does the gang sound so off singing "So Happy Together?"

Or was it just me?

8:02 p.m. - Why does J-Lo look like she is wearing a trash bag skirt? I swear her fashion gets more ... umm interesting as the season goes on.

Ryan says 60 million votes were cast last night, the highest of the season. Hey Seacrest, way to plug Steven Tyler's new book.

Jennifer is going to perform and premiere her new video. Poor Randy has got nothing going on and Ryan jokes about his upcoming bake sale. That made me giggle a bit.

8:01 p.m. –  I love when they replay clips from the night before.

Did you catch Jacob and Haley's faces after their first performances? They were soooo not happy.

8:00 p.m. – Will tonight's elimination  be a shocker or one of those "Told ya so?"

The show just started, and I'm anxious to see whose Cinco de Mayo is about to be no bueno.

Here we go!

1. OBAMA SARKOZY GENOCIDE IN IVORY COAST

OBAMA, YOUR BOY SARKOZY IS CONTINUING TO BOMB THE PEOPLE OF THE IVORY COAST AS I WRITE THIS. WAR CRIMES FOR SARKOZY, WAR CRIMES FOR OUATTARA, WAR CRIMES COMPLICITY FOR OBAMA FOR ENDORSING A FRAUD ELECTION.

May 6, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeremiah

Jacob is a nice guy, but not nice to watch, and he should tuck in his ego if he wants to be successful and consult someone about his costumes. And yes he is overly effeminate. Sorry to say that.
    I am very happy about the results last night. All of you, stop knocking Scotty. Obviously millions of people like him.
    Are some of you jealous? Or just mean hearted?

May 6, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. Rae

Jacob is way, way too efiminite for my liking. Glad he was voted off last night. I'm rooting for Haley.

May 6, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. JAS 72

So glad to see Jacob depart. He said that America fell for him? What a joke! And that final song? Give me a break. I kept shouting at the TV for someone to grab his mic as he just kept on bellering. That final run, orwhatever you call it sounded like a cat caught in a blender.

May 6, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • mkztg

JAS – you are SOOO right. That kid was horrible. Very glad he left. It would have been horrible if he actually won, almost as bad as Fantasia...

May 6, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • dogd rule

And I thought I was the only one who felt that way!!!! Wholly agree about the blender....!

May 6, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Gokul

Totally agree about the cat in the blender... he was sooo annoying.. how did he make it this far... sobbing diva!

May 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ImMe

Charlie sheen will be winning AI!!! JLo want exposure, geez s.tyler w that book and good ole played out "dog" randy! Its rigged!

May 6, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. nunu

scotty is soooo boring i change the station everytime he sings. lauren seriously, do we really need another fake ass sweet saccharin lil ole blonde country girl. james unfortunately with his psuedo rock star wannabe ass will probably win and fade into oblivion like the past boring as hell white bread boys who have won. the only unique one is haley.

May 6, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

You're right about most of it, but Haley?? Come on..she's unique but not in a good way. The growling? It worked for Casey, but it's hideous on her. Simon would call her forgettable – a year from now no one will remember her name.

May 6, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Floyd

@nunu – "white bread boys" ? You a racist there nunu?

May 6, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sunshine Girl *

GEEZ...It shouldbe been Haley instead! Well anyways glad Jacob is gone b/c he was slipping anyways. I see either James or Scott as the winner. Gonna be a real close race! Cant wait for the finale!

May 5, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • whatme

Why should Haley have gone home? She has the best of the night by far and you think she should go and Jacob who was off key and a mess last night should have stayed instead?
      Even the judges who hate (well two of them) on Haley all the time said she was best last night, JLo even said she had best voice here, Jimmy Iovine said she was the best, a bunch of former idol winners or top singers have praised her singing.
      So what gives?

May 6, 2011 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeremiah

Yeah, I don't understand why the judges usually don't like Hayley. I the she is fantastic and not just like every other girl singer out there. I would love it if she could win, but all four remaining are wonderful.

May 6, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. TJ

Jacob!!! Finally that flaming you know what is history!

May 5, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tara

Jacob was long overdue ... but Scotty as had this in the bag since day one so it really doesn't matter.
    All about who can sell and despite who i have favored (Paul, Casey & James) .. the end is predictable

May 5, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bobby Fontaine

download free copy of “Steven Tyler’s Secret Past” – http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/BobbyFontaine

just released – “Steven Tyler’s Secret Past” is an absolute must read. This just released true to life non-fiction thriller will keep you on the edge of your seat taking you into the dark world of Steven Tyler, the Mafia bosses who managed his career, and the very strange tactics used to deploy Aerosmith to the top of the world’s rock and roll scene. It’s a story of struggle and hardship, and overcoming great odds against enemies who’d stop at nothing to get their way. A few simple mistakes at the beginning of his career and Steven was in over his head caught between the CIA and his own Sicilian roots

May 5, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Granny Kat

Well,alot of us called that one right. Who is going next? The last four are all super talented and it's going to be tough. I think the judges did one fantastic job picking the contestants this year;no wonder viewership is up.

May 5, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sileste

So what was with the editing errors with Jennifer's security rail? The show is supposed to be live, but after her performance you can most certainly be assured that it wasn't life. The security rail kept disappearing and reappearing in different camera angles.

May 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LeeAnn

THANK GOD THEY FINALLY GOT RID OF JACOB.....NOW GET RID OF ALFRED E NEUMANN HE SUX! JAMES IS THE AMERICAN IDOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 5, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

LeeAnn, I LOVE you! I thought I was the only one!!! Scott is creepy, and the way he fondles that mike makes my skin!
      crawl ! He thinks he's wonderful. We all need to vote, vote, vote next week so he goes back to the barn behind the trailer!!!!!

May 6, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mary

Happy with the resut tonight.

May 5, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hugh

You know, if you're gonna do a blog, try to pay attention. Ryan told Scotty to join the group he thought was the TOP TWO... not the bottom two! There was no trick whatsoever when he dragged him to join James and Haley in the Top Three.

May 5, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  16. juliejet

Love your gift, Jacob. Good Luck!!!!!

May 5, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. bonniegirl

YES!!!!!! Lauren is safe!!! Yaaayyy!

May 5, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ike

Jacob has finally slipped on the Banana Peel.

May 5, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. bonniegirl

Somebody hug that poor girl!! It better not be her going home.... Can't bear to watch Jacob one more week....

May 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Isay

Go home Scotty!!! I don't like this arrogant one.

May 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

Be patient–he will (hopefully sooner than later). James, on the other hand, has no idea how good he is!

May 6, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  21. Phillip

Lisa, I assume you may have at least studied English if not journalism at some point. Please proof first and post later, and for the love of God don't ever try to write fiction. Your style just sucks, and your writing is boring.

May 5, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jenna

Some of you remarks about Scotty are so disgusting I can not believe you actually would put them in print. So do not like him. That's is your right. I do not like Jacob or Haley. I would never degrade them like you have. You have the right to like who you do and so forth. But your insults are malicious, immature and stupid.

May 5, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremiah

I totally agree about the mean comments about Scotty. Just because some of you out there are not country music fans, don't be so cruel. You seem to take the freedom of saying something anonymous in print. Unfair. Anyway, I think Scotty likely appeals more to women than to men, and he has improved so much. You have to understand southerners. I love southerners! Pay no attention to them Scotty. I think you are great.

May 6, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Denise

First of all,I want to say that I am a "southerner" and proud of it!Southerners are some of the nicest people that you will ever meet....even though we are called "Rednecks".I wouldn't pick Scotty for the American idol but I thought that he did a good job with his song selection on Wednesday night.My pick to win is between Lauren and James.

May 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Melissa

Why all the negativity towards Scotty? He was the only peraon singing on key last night!

May 5, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. jay

go big L

May 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  25. jay

bye bye Jacob he cant sing terrible singing last night

May 5, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ian

Bye Bye Scotty

May 5, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  27. bonniegirl

Awwwww, Lauren!!! Don't cry...love her!

May 5, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Ian

YES ! I knew it !

May 5, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brocklee

Jacob has a really annoying personality... and I used to root for him

May 5, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Brocklee

lauren looks ready to cry....

May 5, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  30. ER

SIng it Gloria ! WE LOVE YOU !

May 5, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ER

WOOOOOO I didnt know Gloria Estephan was a guest tonight ! Y E S ! SHE RULES !

May 5, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  32. ER

I am an emergency room nurse. As a medical professional I can tell you I think Scotty may possibly be retarded.

May 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

Of course he is. He has the same DNA as everyone else in his lil' ol' trailer park! LOL

May 6, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  33. Ian

I liked it, but then, i liked it.

May 5, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  34. chuckly

gee, the first 6 posts, all from the IP address, who'd a thunk it!!!!!!

May 5, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  35. bonniegirl

Yeah, it wasn't just you, Lisa, they were off-key. On a positive note, Lady Antebellum (sp?) is pretty good!

May 5, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

They are one of my favorite groups right now.

May 5, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Ethan

GO HOME CAWNTRY BOY ! TIME FOR SCOTT TO GO BACK TO THE TRAILER PARK.

May 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Ethan

At least J LO looks fantastic, as usual. Her dress is great. Why the rude comments ?

May 5, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ian

Scotty needs a confederate flag tattoo ! YEEEEHAAAW !

May 5, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  39. ER

Slap some tattoos on Scotty, put him in a wifebeater tshirt, and you have 90 percent of the necks from alabamy.

May 5, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. ER

The only way Scott has gottten this far is the vote for the worst crowd. We dont need a trailerpark idol !

May 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alyse Marie

No way, Jacob needs to go. Scotty is amazing, but I am rooting for James (:

May 5, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  41. American Patriot

IT HAS G O T TO BE SCOTTY ! HE IS A REEE TARDD !

May 5, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • RR

Lauren should have been the one, the one ungrateful one left. Notice how she was the only one smiling on one camera shot, then when the camera got to her she stopped and pretended she was sad for Jacob. What a fake!!!!!!!!! Go Hailey beat out Lauren!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |