'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Do you agree with Cameron Diaz on marriage?
May 5th, 2011

'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Do you agree with Cameron Diaz on marriage?

Cameron Diaz has a new movie coming out called “The Bad Teacher,” but she is causing some serious controversy for what she said in a new Maxim magazine interview.

Cammy D. says marriage is a dying institution, adding, "I think we have to make our own rules. I don't think we should live our lives in relationships based off of old traditions that don't suit our world any longer.”

I can’t say that I agree but I think she makes some very interesting points and I’m sure there are plenty of people who agree with her. The nice thing is, no one says you have to get married. What do you think? Post below.

Other stories we’re fired up about on the show...

Marie Osmond remarried her first husband, and today we're asking: Will Katie Couric kill “General Hospital”?

See you at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN tonight!

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

Filed under: TV-Showbiz Tonight

1. CcRL

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. This is a reason society is gettin worse. no morals. no values.

May 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RichP, easton, pa

Guess that's what happens when get involved with hollyweird people. Been married for 30 to the same and hope for 30 more. Oh, and look up the word monogamy, live it.

May 9, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. s

Okay Cameron, could this be why you are still single and unmarried? I think you need to look up the word morals.

May 9, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. PhilG.

Cameron is still hot though not as smoking as she was in The Mask.

Funny thing is,she speaks on marriage as one who is'nt married.

Apparently Cameron is running down the instution of marraige because she can't find any man that can stand to be around her for more then a few days.

Diaz is proof that being pretty and rich does'nt make you a happy person.

If she does'nt want to get married,good for her.

But hundreds of millions of couples get married and live wonderful lives because of it.

The opinion of one actress or the life lessons of hundreds of millions of content married couples.

Hmmm-who carries more validity.

May 9, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kurt

I like it in my butt too!

May 9, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. andrew

Marriage does not make a lot of sense for those who do not live by faith and think that life is about your own personal happiness. A marriage based on faith challenges two individuals to become more and more selfless, and increasingly think not only of thier own interests, but the interests and needs of their partners, and usually, at some point, their children. I am not always "happy" in my marriage, but so what. I find far more meaning and purpose in continually working for the greater good of the family. I am learning to be more forgiving, forbearing, patient and kind. I am becoming, very slowly I admit, more loving. These are all qualities that are worth pursuing. Cameron Diaz is simply childish, and clearly has the mentality that life is about pusuing what makes her happy. Don't listen to her....drivel.

May 9, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. irene

Remaining single is no worse than being married to the wrong person. I agree with odiesmom, a piece of paper that says your married isn't a sure ticket for a permanent and/or happy relationship.

May 8, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. odiesmom

Why buy the cow when the milk is free!! I agree, marraige is dying. And a piece of paper does not make for a
    permanent relationship, just look at Goldie Hawn.

May 8, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chris

Is it just me or is CD looking a bit haggish lately? I'm thinking she'd better stop test driving every dude on earth and settle for one before no one wants her scary ass. Just sayin'...

May 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Square

Marriage is good..."From Honeymoon to Honey-Do!"

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewol_nLrpuc&w=640&h=390]

May 6, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Myrna Band -Siesta Key

A wonderful person we are proud of her.

May 6, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Attle Michael Calaizzo

A wonderful actress.

May 6, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Michael Anthony Calaizzo

She is really Groovy.

May 6, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Aaron Michael Calaizzo

I agree with her.

May 6, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lively

i heard alot about this girl. I really think she is in love with a-rod, I don't why. neither is good looking. His first
    wife was pretty, messed up a-rod. She has dated some really cute and sharp guys. I never really
    understood that. She just is not even cute.. you know what they say act like betty white in the kitchen
    and a @@@@@in the bedroom

May 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Sunshine Girl *

@B lo me...Fine thanks. And you? Hope all is ok for you down south. See you havent been writing much..Well alot of people act like you have to be married or else something is wrong. with you. Marriage just isnt for every body. Do whatever makes you happy. Who cares what everyone else says/thinks? I dont.

May 6, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Roland

Psalm 78:63 (Whole Chapter); Luke 20:34 (Whole Chapter)

May 6, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  18. lol

Cameron will change her tune when she starts dating seriously and not guys like strAy Rod.

May 6, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Peace

Marriage is a serious "job". I know I'll get slammed for this, but, live w/ that person for at least a year. You don't know anybody till you live w/ them. After that, you'll know if you can be w/ that person for the REST of your LIFE. That's my advice & I'm sticking to it!

May 6, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  20. RE in Texas

Well, what can I say about a woman who can't get ANY man to marry her? Really. Any man at all. Any one out there? Any takers? Anyone?????? Helloooooooo! Any one???? Well, that explains it.

May 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Feeniegal

When/if she meets the right guy, she will marry.period.

May 6, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  22. !Tricia!

She dated JT he is so nasty!

May 6, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  23. @Ruth

Yes you are right. I think once she finds that person then she will be ready. Right now she hasn't found it so she doesn't want it.

May 6, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  24. funk

I bet some of you look like the freaks from the wrong turn movies and yet you have the nerve to say this pretty lady is ugly.

May 6, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  25. Ruth

That's what people say - when they can't or have not found their soul mate. The truth is marriage is a wonderful thing if you are married to the right person for you. One who loves you unconditionally, who is fully committed to you and who is faithful and loyal to you of their own free will & vice versa. When you've not been fortunate enough to experience that, you become hardened to a 'second reality' called settling. I take nothing for granted, to find it is truly a miracle and a blessing. But don't try to make your settling every elses' reality.

May 6, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  26. ModernMan

Whatever her take is on marriage is her business. She impresses me with her savvy and she has always been a class act in my book. I respectfully have a different opinion on marriage but would be swayed if I was blessed with the gift of climbing into bed with Cameron Diaz at night.

May 6, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  27. Gloria

Only the low life trailer park, white trash dirt bags thinks she is ugly because they know they can't get any woman as good looking as her. All these losers can get is their sisters and cousins to s c r e w

May 6, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. Jenny

Why so much hate for her. I don't think she deserves this treatment. I bet some of you are uglier than her both inside and out just from the comments you are saying about someone you don't even know. You people disgust me.

May 6, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  29. Billy The Kid

If she doesn't want to get marry she shouldn't. There is nothing wrong with that.

May 6, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  30. Beautiful Vixen

@N, what's up? I laughed at your comment because I thought it was funny. Jeezes you don't have to be an a$$h0le

May 6, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  31. Roger.Brough

Did somejuan mention A-Roid Roidriguez? There is some truth to the idea that honest men may be uncomfortable committing to someone that has already had them all. And thusly, in her reverse self-defense, she travels from village to village, millionaire to millionaire, feeding peanuts and Oak pollen, carrying a small purse of hand-painted thimbles, whistling "Tiny Dancer...." She'll marry one day. My guess is after her spotlight fades. And I bet her husband will be either the artist formerly known as a symbol after already having another made up name, or the rhyming guy, who will by then gave changed his name again to T – Piddy.

May 6, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  32. @N

@beautiful vixon shove it up your a$$!!

May 6, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  33. Beautiful Vixen

I think she is just scared to get marry. She might have gotten hurt a few times and is afraid. Once bitten twice shy. @N..laughing at your comment to mr skool.

May 6, 2011 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  34. B lo me

@sunshine girl* how are you doing. She might not be the marriage type

May 6, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  35. Sunshine Girl *

If thats the way she feels about marriage, well so be it. Marriage means different things to different people. Ive been married/divorced once. I think it has a general basis. Then people mold it it their needs and what works for them. Ive also had a serious relationship that didnt result in marriage. That worked for us at the time. Im not against marriage at all. But I think Id really have to consider it very carefully before making that decision again. Well whatever she decides I hope shes happy.

May 6, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  36. Maggie May

I hope one day to get married...I would want to believe that's God plan for me. I think marriage is sacred and something special two people would want to do to show their commitment to one another for life. That's what marriage means to me.

May 5, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. @N

she is really fake looking cause she is tryin to cover her aging!!!@american patriot thank you for saying that.i totally agree.@mrskool you must be very old!!just look at your comment!!im a lot younger than you!!

May 5, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Really Happy Married Guy

It's not about rules. It's about commitment, putting your partner first, being able to forgive, not having unreasonable expectations of each other. But what would anyone in Hollyweird know about that?

May 5, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  39. sarah

I completely agree with Karen.

May 5, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Karen

Yes, divorce rates are high, and the history of marriage is based on patriarchal ownership traditions... but in today's world where everyone (including women) has so many choices of partners, what other establishment is there that solidifies two people's beleif that they will be together forever? That their search for "the one" is over? How many times have you been in a relationship and been happy, but know that it wasn't going to last forever? Marriage is simply a way of saying "I love you and will search for nothing more" Can that change? Yes. But to say that it's not worth ever getting married because it might end says more about a person's willingness to put the little black book to rest than the possibility of a marriage actually working. Some people just know that it is not in their character to be in a relationship long time. It doesn't make them bad, or unhappy people, it's just how they roll, and more power to them. Everyone has to make the decision of whether or not marriage fits for them. Marriage isn't for everyone, and it's something that really needs to be entered with a lot of consideration. Personally, I don't think that divorce rates are so high because divorce is so easy, I think it's so high because marriage is so easy.

May 5, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Lori

No, I don't agree with her. I think she is just afraid to commit and is making up excuses not to.

May 5, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Danity Celebrityviplounge.com

Just wait until A-Rod pops out the ring.

May 5, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  43. twisted

Who really cares what she thinks.

May 5, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  44. jillmarie

"We should make up our own rules"... I have to say, marriage is not a rule! It certainly isn't for everyone, but for those of us who are happily married, don't tell us it's an outdated tradition.

May 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  45. daniel

what she's saying is the truth that every1 is living. sure you have people that don't agreee...and will say she doesn't know what she's talking about. but those will be the same people that cheat in their relationship...or it will be someone who has already gotten a divorce. either way...what she's saving may not be popular...but hell, with the divorce rate at over 50% within the 1st 5 years...how is what she's saying really bad???

May 5, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your a Moron

Wow your obviously talking out your ass with no knowledge about the subject were are you getting your statistics?

May 7, 2011 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  46. mrskool

She may change her mind... i did.

I lived with my DH for 17 years then we got married on Cinco de Mayo 17 years ago so its been 34 years total today. :)

May 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Bareback Obaama

what happened to the real good questions?....like will pink ever be the new black?

May 5, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Lucy

It's not for everyone, but when it's good it's great.

May 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • KLM

I agree. She lives a very different life than most of us and at least she knows it. Most in Hollywood get married like it's dating. At least she knows what she's capable of and if she changes her mind one day, then great. Don't understand why this has everyone so upset.

May 6, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |