Rumor has it 'Glee' was fantastic
May 4th, 2011

Rumor has it 'Glee' was fantastic

Darn you "Glee."

Just when I thought I would make it through an entire episode without crying, you got me at the end of Tuesday night's episode.

It was Fleetwood Mac night because rumors were flying ("Rumours" happens to be the title of a famous Fleetwood Mac album) about everything from Santana's sexuality to whether or not Mr. Schuester was planning to desert the kids and pursue his dream of being a Broadway star.

The show started with a pretty funny bit about Brittany's online show "Fondue for Two," which I would totally watch if she really hosted said show. We also got to meet her fat cat Lord Tubbington, who I thought stole every scene he was in with his genius mix of disdain and ambivalence.

Kristin Chenoweth returned as the tipsy April Rhoades, who enlists Will in helping her put together a Broadway show about her life. The pair clearly have the hots for each other (he appears to have gotten over Holly pretty quickly) and they also give us a glimpse of what could be the fate of Finn and Rachel if they don't get it together soon.

Speaking of the latter pair, Rachel tries to get Finn to commit to doing a duet with her at nationals and shows him a blind item in the school's "Muckraker" paper which suggests that Sam and Quinn are fooling around behind his back.

When they stake out Sam, they see Kurt coming out of a motel room with him. Wow. I'd almost forgotten Kurt was back.

Anywho, there was more possible betrayal where that came from as they later caught Quinn coming out of the same hotel room with Sam and embracing him. Meanwhile, Artie accurately figured out that Santana has been making a play for Brittany and called Brit stupid for not figuring out Santana's manipulative ways.

Kudos to Heather Morris as Brittany for showing us some serious depth of feeling this week. Her tears and disappointment with Artie as they broke up was first-rate.

As was the actress Naya Rivera, whose portrayal of closeted Santana has far surpassed what I expected. She really got me when she sang a tender version of "Songbird" to Brittany.

But what really turned on the waterworks was the revelation that Sam and his family are living in one room in a motel since his dad lost his job and their house was foreclosed on.

Turns out Kurt and Quinn were just pitching in to help Sam out with clothes and caring for his younger brother and sister. I was bawling right along with Sam by the time Rachel and Finn showed up at the hotel with clothing for Sam and his guitar he had pawned to earn money for his family.

I had a whole ball of tissue in my hand by the time everyone - Sam's adorable little brother and sister included - gathered on the school stage to sing "Don't Stop." Well played, "Glee."

Your thoughts on this week's "Glee"?

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. Victor

Good episode. Not earth shattering, but good.

More interested in next week's prom episode. From what they showed it looks like Quinn is going to beat up Rachel something fierce!

May 5, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bernard

Love your take on the episode. I've been a fan of Fleetwood Mac since they were a blues band. It didn't really take them 11 albums to reach relationship implosion tho - Rumors was only the second album with those band members. Had to point that out. But truly love your clever use of language! http://bit.ly/kgcSaB

May 5, 2011 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. Brooke

EVEL! Seriously. If you can't even be a TENTH witty, then stfu and gfto. If you're gonna be a troll GO BIG OR GO HOME cause you lookin like a fool out here peddling the same three lines all involving the term "fudge packer". SUPER clever! Never been used before AT ALL. Real genius stuff. You must study Dane Cook or something, cause you on repeat.

May 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sasha

I am going to keep it short and sweet Fleetwood Mac + Glee = Awesomeness!

May 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Your dad

Rumor has it 'Glee' is gay

May 4, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

Rumor has it your mom would have aborted you... had she been able to afford it.

May 4, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your mom

a man who names himself posh is certainly a turbo fudge packer that will certainly watch glee and go to hell.

May 5, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sean

Last night’s episode is a perfect example of why I LOVE Glee. They managed to take an iconic record like “Rumours”, put a young spin on it, and put it out there for a generation who may not of even know that such music existed. The performances were incredible, particularly Rachel’s (Lea Michele) “feminine” take on “Go Your Own Way”. Am I the only one who found the Finn/Quinn duet really funny? As for the story, I was very impressed with Chord Overstreet (Sam). I was happy to get a glimpse into his family life, and I have more respect for his character. There were lots of funny moments throughout from Brittany (letting her cat eat cheese because he was on Atkins), Sue (serving placenta margaritas), and April Rhodes (selling her “Rumours LP for drugs). Great episode and can’t wait for next week’s Glee Prom!

May 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MyMyMy

Hey Jana, I do remember, what a blast from the past!

May 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Loren

While as an older male adult, I probably should care for Glee, I am always amazed at how at least one time a show their music numbers seem to match or top the originals. From last night's show, the acoustic guitar army was an amazing bit of reconceptualization for a song. Kudos to the Glee team for reimagining and reigniting these songs on a weekly basis.

May 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. LDS r LGBTs

The Sleestacks were cool ! I bet they werent mormons !

May 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anne

I uhm stalk people on twteitr, and found you through someone else, I believe redneckmommy and then you hooked me with being a Gleek. I have loved Glee from before the beginning and have yet to profess my love for it on my blog or any other blog. Until now. I read around and I had to comment because you told me to in your about me section. So here I am professing my undying love for Glee. For the first time. In your comments.Reply by on December 5th, 2009 at Saturday, December 5, 2009 @ 11:19 am@Randa, thanks for the visit and comment! Let your Gleek flag fly!

August 12, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Michael Calaizzo-American

Glee is wonderful.

May 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. lizzy

I am laughing soo hard cause everything you said about bawling at the end happened to me exactly!! I dont feel quite the cry baby anymore! LOL

May 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MsTVLady

Last night's Glee I think was the best one ever. I feel in love with Fleetwood Mac all over again, and have been playing the album all morning. The writing acting and storyline was top perfect, and I cant wait until next week PROM!!! 6 days and counting

May 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LDS LGBT

It was GLEETASTIC !

May 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jana

Sorry, but this just jumped into my brain when I saw "Gleestastic". Remember "Land of the Lost" and the Sleestaks?

Wait for it...

Gleestaks.

This is not an insult. Really.

May 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mormon

It was a great episode ! I DVRed it and plan to burn a DVD. Us Mormons like us some GLEE !

May 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Greggie

I enjoyed last night's episode of Glee. As a Fleetwood Mac fan, I felt the use of the Rumors album was a nice touch with this storyline. I'm also really glad the writers decided to pay Sam a little attention. I know that a cast this large is bound to have some players a little neglected but including his story here was needed and timely. With slossy shows about high school its easy to forget that real-life still happens to kids and having the recession strike this show was nothing short of insightful. Kudos to Glee!

May 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |