Katy Perry: Yes, I really kissed a girl
May 4th, 2011

Katy Perry: Yes, I really kissed a girl

Katy Perry opens up about kissing girls and her Christian upbringing in the June issue of Vanity Fair.

In the interview, the quirky singer, who became a household name with her 2008 hit "I Kissed a Girl," admits that she's indeed had same-sex smooches but didn't discuss it until now because she felt her male interviewers were sleazy.

"I said no, I hadn’t experienced it, even though I had, because I didn’t like where the guys were taking the interviews," she explains.

Perry, the daughter of evangelical Christian ministers, also says that she was raised in a very "non-accepting" family and didn't have a childhood. Besides only being allowed to read the Bible, she was banned from saying the words "deviled eggs" and "Dirt Devil."

“Growing up, seeing Planned Parenthood, it was considered like the abortion clinic,” she says. “I was always scared I was going to get bombed when I was there…. I didn’t know it was more than that, that it was for women and their needs. I didn’t have insurance, so I went there and I learned about birth control.”

Now, she says she's more "open to possibility."

“I have always been the kid who’s asked ‘Why?’ In my faith, you’re just supposed to have faith. But I was always like…why?” Perry tells VF. “At this point, I’m just kind of a drifter. …My sponge is so big and wide and I’m soaking everything up and my mind has been radically expanded. Just being around different cultures and people and their opinions and perspectives.”

Including her husband, Brit actor and comedian Russell Brand, who Perry married in October of last year. (The couple opted not to sell photos of their wedding despite the fact that they were offered "millions of dollars" for them, she reveals.)

“Russell is into Hinduism, and I’m not [really] involved in it," she says. "He meditates in the morning and the evening; I’m starting to do it more because it really centers me. [But] I just let him be him, and he lets me be me.” Brand, she adds, has “never lied to me once. I trust him; there’s just a level of trust that we’ve built up.”

Though Perry has left her born-again upbringing behind, she still remains close to her parents.

“I think sometimes when children grow up, their parents grow up,” she tells the magazine. “Mine grew up with me. We coexist. I don’t try to change them anymore, and I don’t think they try to change me. We agree to disagree. They’re excited about [my success]. They’re happy that things are going well for their three children and that they’re not on drugs. Or in prison.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Katy Perry • Music

1. karlieannalis

Idk....

January 4, 2014 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. California Car Insurance Agents

{Great | Good | Wonderful} insurance information. {Thanks | Thank you | Kudos to you} for {posting | writing | submitting } this. I will { check back | be back | come here again | return} { for more | to see updates | to see what other information you post} on {car insurance | auto insurance} {in California | in CA } . Can you recommend any {good | great | excellent } California Auto Insurance Agents {if I don't have a good record | if I have auto accidents | with several auto insurance claims | for cheap car insurance rates| ?

May 23, 2012 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dont be a jerk!

ok sooo....she kissed a girl. why do people freak out over that? its her life to live she can do what she wants. just cuz shes a celebrity doesnt mean that everybody has to freak out about everything she does. she has more talent then the rest of all us commenters put together so maybe you guys can just just up and leave her alone!

May 9, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jack V.

Does this mean she has officially stopped asociatng herself as a Christian or a follower of Christ! I hope so! As a supposed Christian, she was offensive and was dragging Jesus's name through the mud!

May 7, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. nighthhaaawk

Just read the cover – mentions Elizabeth Taylor.. Katy looks a LOT like Taylor did back in the day!

Face it, the Lady ROCKS!

May 5, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nightthhaaawk

Katy Perry is alright. Let her have her moments of popularity and love with her new husband. She's got talent and looks,
    be happy for someone for once in your oh so critical lives.

May 5, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. K

Note to Katy and turd husband Russell Whatshisname, The 15 minutes are almost up. 14:57, 14:58..............

May 5, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. Elie

Some people here do not have a clue of what talent is and insult Katty like there's no tomorrow. If you don't like her music just don't listen to it, but of course deep down you even want to be her!!!

May 5, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. heann

The thought of her bumpy and pimply bikini line showing against that white skin...all red and irritated...oh yeah, im gonna lose it

May 5, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Karllinha

Kwame, Following up some more on the VAT front according to the Oxfam rpoert, VAT is zeroed for goods that are primarly consumed by poor Ghanaians, so it's *also* unclear who is paying for it. The rpoert cites research by James Akazili on this, none of which I can't hunt down online and the main link provided in the rpoert is broken! This doesn't throw the argument one way or the other (Even if only the richest 10% of Ghanaians paid VAT but only 18% are covered, we still wouldn't be happy) but just throws more uncertainty in the air about what the truth really is! Surely it is reasonable to argue that we should do a little more analysis?

August 12, 2012 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rock

I think she's wet...look at those sweater rockets

May 5, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. Prometheus

It never ceases to entertain me how people who haven't made anything of THEIR lives by virtue of putting themselves out there and grabbing the brass ring feel somehow redeemed within their own inadequacy by vilifying another person who HAS went and put themselves out there and grabbed the brass ring with BOTH hands.

So funny. QQ more.

May 5, 2011 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Heann

I put a brass ring around my weenie and its really cool. By the way, your leet-speak nonsense (QQ) is even more retarded than you. Oooh yeah, i just got excited and the brass ring is working wonders.
      have a nice day, Mr Leet-speak

May 5, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. kiss this

I wish Katy kissed a girl ....'girl' being codeword for my cawk

May 4, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sunshine Girl *

Dont you guys realize celebrities do things for 'shock value'? Especially when their name is slipping from the lime light. Anyways it probably happened a long time ago and is now only a distant memory.

May 4, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. king of hearts

Thats nasty what is wrong with u even though u have no talent stupid lady i would like u to lmd or smd dummy

May 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jwc

Her poor parents... probably wondering how they raised such a dope. Nice how she throws them under the bus for her own 'fame'.

May 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. dave

Katy, bring your girlfriend, and join me for a three way. Now that's action.

May 4, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Toni

Katy Perry has more talent in her little pinky than most people will ever hope to achieve in a lifetime. She is awesome! Now, if only I could get tickets for her concert!

May 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Em

I completely aggree with Rebecca. People can be so rude! Katy Perry is an a very talented artist and you people wouldn't know talent if it smacked you in the face.

May 4, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • shane

Em you and Rebcca are both smart and nice because you don't ridicual others thank you KATY PERRY ROCKS

May 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

@shane: not smart enough to spell agree right. I'll settle for almost smart. Katy and Miley: pop fluff.

May 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mary

Who cares if she kissed a girl, it was her choice and it sound like she was sheltered as a kid so she didnt have an opportunity to even think something like that. im glad she can do what she wants now.

May 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  20. rebecca

wow. why does everyone have to hate on katy perry? I bet not one of you has any talent either. I mean really how many of you posting comments are famous? hmmmm that's right none of you. how about hide the fact that you're jealous that she's hot and she can sing instead of basically putting it in a comment!

May 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Truth

Who.
    Cares?

May 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  22. MyMyMy

I hope all the republicans read the part about Planned Parenthood! LOl !!!

May 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Michelle

OHMIGOD, she had a lesbian fling? How scandalous! Oh wait, it's not 1955. Never mind. Just one more attempt to cover up for the fact that she has zero talent.

May 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Evel Knievel

So up until now she felt sleazy about admitting she likes to munch a little carpet, but now that she can insert herself back into the limelight she's okay with it?

May 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Manon Mitsou

Miss Katie. This one is really overrated and I can't even call her entertainment.
    The same goes for her husband. Happy to hear he's at the very least praying for them. Save your money please.

May 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Michael Calaizzo

She is a great talent.

May 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  27. JoyJoy

Yah, Katie.....but did you like it??

May 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mark

I'd like to watch her kiss a girl! (LOL)

May 4, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  29. popeye

I kissed a dude and his name is Cesar.

May 4, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  30. LILO

She is one of the most overrated entertainers there is. Even Snooki has more tallent than this zero.

May 4, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  31. twisted

Katie, kiss this

May 4, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  32. TA DA!

Her "talents" are about to pop right out of that top. Adele she ain't.

May 4, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  33. Amy

Thank goodness my parent's weren't that insane! I'd have run away by fourteen!

May 4, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  34. shane

your racist

May 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Me

You need to keep a learnin.' Tomorrow is a holiday for the actions of Californians back in the 1860s against the French. Much like St. Pat's Day, it's just a day to "celebrate" meaning party.

May 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  36. grow up

OK< WE GET IT FOOL. You have posted your love of eating the poopoo on the stinko de mayo on just about every entertaining site here, and trust me, we are all tired of your crapp. Go eat your beloved poopoo, grow up and come back and write if you ever have anything intelligent to say. Your mommie jsut called you.

May 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |