'Idol' Top 5 give it their all
May 4th, 2011

'Idol' Top 5 give it their all

We have got a competition people!

Just about everyone brought it tonight. Even Seacrest said we had a hot night.

We are only three weeks away from the finale, and this thing just gets tighter and tighter every week.

Who is your favorite? See ya tomorrow night for the results "Idol"-ators!

1. GoDragJacob

Jacob should dress up in drag. He moves and sounds like a drag queen but he dresses like a boy. C'mon Jacob don't be shy!

May 5, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JMBnLA

All this being said...for those that say this is the worst Top 5 must have short memories because last year was a dud except for my girl Bowersox...and over the years we've had some really disappointing finales. Fantasia overpowering Diana. Jordin overpowering Blake. Freaking Taylor Winning. HoHum Chris beating Adam. Lee (WHO?) beating Crystal.

I think the producers have really stepped up their game this year...and could go farther...let the adults decide who wins by limiting the amount of votes per person and let it be 50% America voting 50% Judges descision up to the Top 5. Maybe that would actually make the judges critique early on rather than all of the sudden have an opinion with only a few weeks to go. I mean really...it's been so sweet at times...the kids looked shocked last night when judges didn't heap tons of praise on them.

May 5, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ginger

You are worng about James second and emotional song performance. I am definitely with the judges, more than so so.
      Until a performer lives in his or her song, they are just using musical skills without making the words fill their hearts. That is music...it must resonate to the audience.

May 6, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. mark S

Scotty has limited range but yes he has some talent on the country circuit. James was pitchy last night but has been awesome in every other performance. Haley did well on her 2nd song. I and usually have nothing nice to say about her. But wow she did great. Lauren is growing – but not yet a star. Jacob can go home anytime. And yes he belongs in Church. Don't like his whaling and screaming. Save it for the Lord. James will win. It's inevitable.

May 5, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. timer

Jacob has to go. I'm certainly not hearing what others are hearing, he is terrible. High sqeally voice with range, still hurts my ears. James had a bad night, but he's allowed, most naturally sounding voice of the group. Jacob..go home, the other three fight it out, James to win!!

May 5, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pat Essoff

There is only one truly talented person on that stage right now and everyone who is anyone knows its Scotty. He has what it takes and does not falter or go way outside of the genre best suited to his style and voice. Also, I think it's time for the judges to be more honest. Jennifer, i can more or less tell that you sympathize with these performers but please stop lying about how good they all are. Judges are meant to judge critically – if you're going to be a judge then be one – you know as well as i do that some of that singing last night was awful and completely either flat or way out of range and tone. Tell them the truth so that if they are as talented as you constantly say each time someone performs, you know in your heart that you are telling the truth from which they can constructively learn. Haley should never sing another Lady Gaga song again. She is best suited to Joss Stone and Janis Joplin - that is where she shines period. I can go on about how the others also sang songs that did not suit their voices at all but what's the point when you guys (Randy excepted) keep telling them they are awesome. Jacob last song last night sounded like someone was killing a whale. I could not wait for him to stop. And Randy was right - JASON stick with Luther Vandross material and you just might find yourself on the list of singing stars one day. If not, no one and I do mean no one will buy your records. And as for the one who cries about everything - well, I just felt that maybe I was a bad person because I felt nothing when he sang – no emotion at all. He sings for himself instead of the audience. I'm thinking "shouldn't I be the one crying because his singing touched my soul" - NOT, and why, because he is nothing more than a baby in a young man's body and that is not appealing in any shape or form. Now, when Scotty sang Elvis' song, I felt his soul touch mine. Like Elvis, he did not cry but I sure felt like I could. That is true entertainment. To be able to express through your voice the meaning and emotion behind the song and not to show so much of the emotion that you inspire pity rather than appreciation for your music. All I know is that this young man with that incredible and original barotone voice did Elvis proud. I am sure Elvis sat up in his grave and saluted him. Andy, (right above my comment) - you are just jealous of Scotty's obvious talent.

May 5, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pat Essoff

May 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • HURLEY

BLAH Blah blah ... Scotty is the most UN-versatile singer in the bunch. All he can do is that country twangy crap so just stick him out in Nashville with the rest of the loser lounge country crooners where he will assuredly disappear quickly.

May 5, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dee

For next week I seriously hope that J LO does not get her way. Pairing of Lauren with Scotty and Haley with James would be just entirely too too common and predictable. If all the fans really want to see who has the most talent it should definitely be the other way around.
    Would be much more fun to see Lauren dressed in a female version of James in a duet of rock/ rock country and Western (emphasis). Then do the same for Haley and Scotty but make them emphasize the Rock first then country and western. Anything else would be boring and entirely too predictable for me. what does everyone else think?

May 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Andy

All of these comments explain so much as to why some of the most talented singers have been kicked off for TRUELY mediocre talent like Scotty. Scotty is simply an average singer in every way, he brings nothing exciting or unique to ANY of his performances. Every song(and most lines) starts with the low gutteral country twang note. He seems to be incapable of singing in his natural voice, preferring to mimic the tone of others.

Haley and Lauren are above and beyond the most talented singers left on the show. They are pitch perfect 99.9 % of the time. Haley in particular has soul and tone in her voice that the other singers can not compare to. I don't understand the priorities of the judges chewing her out over song selection. I have never heard that Lady Gaga song, but Haley sang the heck out of it.

James and Jacob were both brutal last night.

May 5, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. ned smith

PLEASE GOD, HELP ME!!! Lauren is an AVERAGE singer everyone!! And I mean AVERAGE. The judges couldn't even "JUDGE" her, because she is boring and average!!!!! If Jacob or James [the best 2 singers] dont win, and mediocre "teeny bops" Lauren and Haley remain, "IDOL" will have lost all integrity!!

May 5, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

Ned, you are right. Hayley is so forgettable.... I watched her with the sound off last night (too much growling) and her antics are reeeeally scary!
      James is wonderful. Much broader appeal than Jacob (Just wish he'd stop the screaming already – and the sweating is gross, too)

May 5, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Vickie

COMPLETELY AGREE!

May 5, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • JMBnLA

@dogsrule – by having the sound down on Haley...you missed out on the best performance of the night. sad for you

May 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Frank

Jacob, though a great singer technically do you REALLY believe it when he attempts a love song about some random girl...sorry but you're all thinking it. He also sings like he's standing in a plunging tight fish tailed dress.

May 5, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. Freddie

Maby it's not America's sound system in their TV but yours. James is clearly the best all around and I called that since his first audition. Then there's Lauren. Her and James have the best voices that hit something within the soul of the listener. Haley and Scotty are good Haley shined last night and I kind of like her growl. Scotty could be a pop George Strait. James is the best all around and I will buy his first cd.

May 5, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Dprang

I totally agree with you. I have noticed the sound problems from time to time but as Jennifer Lopez said once that from where she sits, the music is great.
      Your synopsis is right on.

May 5, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. Divot

Jacob will be out tonight and Haley next week. And as for the comment that this is the worst final 5 – are you kidding? I actually watch the show and this is the best top 5 by far. The last 3 winners have been clones and boring. I see nice careers for several of this year's contestants.

Not a huge Haley fan, but her version of "Rising Son" was dead on perfect. Maybe not a commercial success in 2011, and that is a sad commentary on the music scene.

Top 3: James, Lauren and Scotty. Anyone can win from there on.

May 5, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

Top three: James, James and James. Scotty, Lauren and Haley suck, and Jacob is SUCH a girl! His undies are way too tight, too–no one screams like that willingly!

May 5, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. georg

Do the people who like James have a different sound system on their TV? I mean, last night, those notes he hit were just bad. Embarrassing. I don't get the James crowd. My favorites evolve every week, each one has a special gift. But James, I wish I could see it, but I don't. To compare him to Casey, forget it. Really tells a lot about the people voting.

May 5, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Ginger

If you do not get James, it is your loss. To suggest that James and Casey be compared is downright silly on your part. They do different music from one another.
      I suggest your taste may be off Georg, which is why you do not get the voting. You can vote can't you?

May 5, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

No, "georg", you have something wrong with your hearing. The rest of the country hears James just fine. He's truly a superstar. Randy, Steven and Jennifer are hearing the same James you are. Whose judgement do suppose is right? Theirs or yours? Or your TV's?
      What I can't figure out is how much more of Jacob anyone's hearing can take!!!

May 5, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • SBD

I completely agree, I don't see what people see in James. I will admit he has good control and a nice tone when he is doing his rocker screech/scream (which is 95% of his songs), but when he actually tries to SING, he is absolutely awful. If you are a fan of James, I beg you to go back and listen to the live songs he has sung, (the actual singing parts, not the screaming parts) and listen very carefully, he goes flat often and has almost no control. He is definitely a showman and is entertaining, but for me personally, I enjoy a great voice, and a great voice James does not have.

May 5, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Dprang

SBD
      Supposing I agree with you(which is NO), the problem for these contestants is to garner support for the songs they sing and how they sing them. The only ones that blew me away were James and Pia. Pia unfortunately did not have great stage appeal. James does.
      I watched all contestants since the 24. James' songs are enjoyable to listen to and watch. If he falls flat as you claim, then you are not a rock fan. I have been to concerts of the biggest rock bands. Most do not sing pertectly. Bono takes liberties in his concerts and sings flat at times. You fail to see that James has music in his soul. Your loss.

May 6, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. Pam Phree

James will win. Scotty will be runner up. That's my vote and I'm sticking to it.

May 5, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. GoHaley

Haley was the best tonight I thought. Hoping for Haley and James in the final!

May 5, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. Greg

I'm not a fan but I would buy stock in Scotty; he's going to be around a long time. James matches up to the great Rock singers, but he often forgets to sing. I prefer the Nielsen version of "Without You." James has a better voice but he forgot to sing. Jacob is mistake prone and would hiding him in a studio would help; burning his image into people's brain's doesn't do him any favors. His fans should kick him out for his own good. Lauren is overshadowed by Carrie Underwood but she's sixteen. Haley doesn't fit this generation of music; her best comes out on old material. Jimmy picked a great song for Jacob's 2nd but the 1st song and the visuals should do him in.

May 5, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  17. Come on People

Okay so James kinda fell on the notes but he has been GREAT every other week!! Nobody is perfect, and he's human, give the boy some slack. My top 3 are James, Lauren and Scotty and I've predicted those 3 since the beginning! I'm sorry, but how is Haley still here?? I was hoping she was going to be gone weeks ago!

May 5, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Dprang

James has been the most consistent and his song choices are generally over the top. After him, my choices are Laren, Haley and Scotty in that order.
      Jacob should go this week.

May 5, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  18. Ron

Well, I was underwhelmed tonight. I'm a James fan, but he was very pitchy tonight, as was Jacob. Scotty was the same as always, nothing new here and BTW, singers like him or better than him are a dime a dozen here in Nashville. Lauren needs to lose the deer in the headlights look – she's ok, but certainly at this point, not a star. That leaves Haley – incredible tonight and based on tonight, should win it all – too bad the teeny bopper girls that call in only vote for cute, young guys

May 5, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  19. Sunshine Girl *

James is this seasons winner hands down. Scott will place 2nd. Lauren might make 3rd. But I dont see either Jacob or Haley going any further. Haley can growl all the way home. And Jacob has become wishy washy from one week to the next. Cant wait for the finale!

May 5, 2011 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

James is the best all-round performer. Imagine what Simon Cowell would be saying about Haley's growling, Jacob's creepy outfits and girlie ways, and Scott's resemblance to Alfred E. Neuman. And he REALLY thinks he's hot stuff!! that's what's so creepy about him.

May 5, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  20. cynthia bostain

James,Scotty,and,Jacob my top 3

May 5, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  21. Sunshine Girl *

James has this all wrapped up! He is the next AI winner for sure! Sure hope Haley goes home...growling all the way. Scott will be the #2 contender. Americas just loves him. Lauren is ok and Dont like Jacob at all. The church is too good for him. Just go home and stop that whining. Cant wait for the finale.

May 5, 2011 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  22. Darrell

I think Jacob has a shot to win it ALL!

May 5, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  23. Joe Fan

Eric Burton voted for Haley!!

May 5, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  24. Roscoe Chait

Scotty will win because America picks the down home boy next door. James can't win because he's a rocker. Jacob goes home tomorrow–mostly because of the bad advice Jimmy gave him. Usually, Jacob doesn't listen to him, but this time he did, to his detriment. The girls were great.

May 5, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  25. marty

wow Haley! that was a magical performance!

May 4, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

She sounds like her panties are way too tight. And that growling? GAG

May 5, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • JMBnLA

Totally agree with you marty. Haley was amazing last night. On both songs. I get what the judges say about doing an relatively unknown song...for her first number...but she killed it. Judges were a bit to harsh on the first critique. And let's be honest...House of the Rising Song was the best performance by far last night. If I had to pick a contestant who was strongest over the course of two songs...sorry but it's Haley. Jacob just didn't have it last night. James was so so...and I'm sorry...a true professional can sing on key even when over come with emotion. (Shout out to Bowersox!) Scotty's and Lauren's second songs just laid there.

May 5, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ohio!

JAMES is very, very good. He's your next American Idol! The others will also all get recording contracts...except Jacob, who I think DOES need to sing in a church...jacob might become the most famous, on the Christian music circuit.

May 4, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  27. A

I actually watched American Idol tonight....This is the weakest group of singers to ever make Top 5. I mean, I don't even know who you blame on that one! Chris Medina, anyone? Remember him? Even though the judges knocked him out, he has a single if anyone cared to notice. On top of that, Pia...She's so good she's dating Mark Ballas now...What does that tell you? (In the case of Pia and Casey) That the powerhouses of the show aren't even considered "talented" by voters' standards because a majority of the voters are (likely) women and they're just interested in voting by who's better looking over who's better talented, thus saying-they're voting for the men...Before you fans go off, think about it–you're probably a teenager that watches the show, and when the show is over, you head straight for the phone to call for the "good-looking" one twenty-million times. Am I right? Of course I am!...Though there are still some who actually notice talent when they see it, and that's why Top 5 should have been Pia and Casey, and Haley and Lauren and Scotty...I guess you guessed it then: I'm picking Haley, Lauren, and Scotty for Top 3...I watched Jacob and James-they are not the best. They seem like they are good because of who they are up against, and if America got it right this year, they'd be gone already...That's not to say my Top 3 Picks aren't good singers–they are the best at this point–I'm picking Haley and Scotty in the Final–and Haley to win it...It's predictable. If you asked me two months ago, I would have told you Pia...Today? I would still be right. Why? Because she will be the more successful contestant this season. The winner won't matter.

May 4, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yeah

you called it right but it won't go that way, Haley is in last place on dial idol perhaps because she dared to sing on pitch haha

May 5, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • A

@Yeah ...You're probably right..the way it seems, the deep-pitched country singer has got it down to win it all...He is good, yes, but his voice is like a trance to those little tweens who scream every time he hits the stage! LOL! :)

May 5, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
    • tom

I agree completely...have watched the show since it's beginning and I thought last years bottom 6 were the weakest I'd ever seen...until this year. Not one of them have the talent and stage presence of Adam Lambert, Melinda Doolittle or even Clay Aiken. They're ok...just not all that great. Can't stand Haley's growling raspy gravelly voice. Jacob the best voice on the sho despite not being well liked with the veiwers. James just screams most of the time. Lauren the best singer of the remaining 5.

May 5, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  28. Debi

VOTE SCOTTY TONIGHT HE WAS AWESOME! Jacob has got to go sing in a church!

May 4, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  29. kroach

James will win.

May 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

James is the only one who truly deserves to win. I totally agree w/ you

May 5, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • moon627

James may win but that doesnt make him an IDOL. He is way too icky to get very far as a celebrity. I'm not saying he cant sing but he just isnt very nice to look at. Same with Scotty McCreepy. And its TRUE – he DOES look like the MAD Magazine Alfred E. Newman. Lauren is totally BORING and Jacob is way too much of a drama queen to be an IDOL to America. That leaves HALEY... she has the best look, she's entertaining and enjoyable to watch and listen to. She would be great in the movie about Janis Joplin. :)

The judges are so lame with their useless comments whether its critical or complimentary it makes no difference. And that guy Jimmy Iovine doesnt do them any favors with his advice either. I love watching American Idol but the outcome doesnt really matter.

May 5, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  30. twisted

Y E S !

May 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  31. KayBrown

Scotty is the winner. It was James's to lose, and he lost it. Lauren will be the runner-up.

May 4, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  32. juliejet

Scotty's first song was amazing:! I am also back on the Jacob train. If Jacob goes home tomorrow, at least the judges gave him his due: He is one of the best singers EVER on American Idol.

May 4, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |