Michael Scott bids adieu to 'The Office'
April 29th, 2011

Michael Scott bids adieu to 'The Office'

Thursday night's episode of "The Office" was an unforgettable, very fitting goodbye to the series' star, Steve Carell. At the same time, it was a reminder of the uphill battle the show faces in order to continue on without him.

But first, let's take a moment to applaud Carell and the character he created. Michael Scott was not a David Brent clone, and he wasn't just a lovable buffoon, because that wouldn't make him unique at all. In the midst of a "remake," Carell gave us an original.

As a result, it was extremely difficult to watch the episode with dry eyes.

Michael was leaving Dunder Mifflin one day early, and the only person who figured it out was Jim. Their scene together, talking about what they would say to each other at a farewell lunch that would never happen, just got to me. Jim called Michael the best boss he ever had. I'm sure it wasn't a stretch for either of the actors to bring on a few tears during the scene.

What I didn't expect, though, was to be moved by Dwight of all people, still holding a grudge after being passed over: "I’ve given up expecting Michael to do the right thing, or the decent thing, or even the comprehensible thing."

He certainly didn't expect an extremely heartfelt letter of recommendation from Michael, followed by one last game of paintball in the parking lot.

One by one, Michael said goodbye to everyone (even Creed, who, that same day, exited the ladies' room admonishing Gabe for his rudeness in going in there). His gift to Ryan was the "St. Pauli Girl" neon sign (from what may very well be the series' best episode, "Dinner Party"), and his gift to Kelly was to leave her alone.

He gave his best clients to Andy. After all, he told him, "You sold us all on Andy, a product nobody wanted."

Andy proceeded to start losing clients immediately, and went to Deangelo - who was having a bit of a crisis with addiction to fatty foods at the time - for help. Andy finally proved he could be a good salesman, in his own way. Unfortunately, this was the weakest part of the episode, and only a couple of Will Ferrell's scenes were all that great.

No, this was all about Michael, who walked out of the office for the very last time as Creed sipped on his "World's Best Boss" mug.

In a nearly heartbreaking coincidence, his car passed Pam's as she returned from sneaking out to "The King's Speech." (Colin Firth, how could you?)

Just when you thought it wouldn't get overly emotional, Michael said this in his final confessional: "Holly's my family now, and the babies I make with her will be my children. The people you work with are, just, when you get down it, your very best friends." And then it became a full-on Linda Richman moment for this viewer.

Then, at the airport, Michael gladly gave the camera crew his microphone, and moments later, Pam ran to him to say her goodbyes. Not unlike the scene of her engagement to Jim, it worked perfectly with no dialogue needed.

And so, we now face a future at Dunder Mifflin without Michael Scott. No more "That's what she said," and no more wildly inappropriate reactions to just about everything. It will be interesting to see where things go next.

What did you think of Michael's exit? Did you get teary-eyed at any point? Does Steve Carell deserve another Emmy? And where do you think things are going with Deangelo, last seen having a meltdown over Michael's goodbye cake? Is Phyllis Erin's mother? Share your iReport, or comment below.

1. Vonnie Leth

Symptom assessment is a key component of dry eye diagnosis – to the extent that many believe dry eye syndrome to be a symptom-based disease. Several questionnaires have been developed to determine a score that would allow for dry eye diagnosis. The McMonnies & Ho dry eye questionnaire is often used in clinical studies of dry eyes. It has 14 questions, resulting in a score from 0 to 45. Scores above 14.5 are consistent with dry eyes. `;"-

Until next time http://healthdigest101.comdy Vonnie Leth

June 19, 2013 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. Scranton Strangler

Pretty sure Deangelo is either the Scranton Strangler, or is going to be killed by him.

May 2, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Christi

OMG im gonna miss him :o(

May 2, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. vwluvr24

so long michael scott!! you will be missed!! how could you watch and not get a little choked up?

May 2, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Al

I think Owen Wilson should be one of the runner ups!

May 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Stacy

I lost it at the Michael/Jim portion. Loved it. I hope (though I think it will be tough) they find a way to keep the show successful without Michael/Steve. I will be watching and pulling for you guys!

May 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Amber

This episode wasn't my favorite, but it was a great ending to Michael Scott. The only reason I didn't burst into tears is because my dad was in the room watching it with me. The ratio of jokes and seriousness was perfect! The only reason people don't like Will Ferrell on the show is because his character isn't suppose to be likable! He's already said he's only doing four episodes, so why make a great character to cut off? The line up for Michael's spot is amazing, but it just won't be the same. I'm still not sure if I'll keep watching after this season.

April 30, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Debbie

As a fan of the series (except of last season, which, to me, was the weakest in its history), I, too, thought the final Michael show was incredibly well done. I cannot deny the fact that I had hoped for Michael to have to sit in on interviews for his replacement, asking inappropriate interview questions to those we may never have seen trying out for the job (i.e. Creed, who, in my dream, would be the best at interviewing, but would end it with a quote like," which job was this for again?" ).
    And, as the end of the last Michael episode neared, I became jittery, thinking that Pam's "Dorothy" to Michael's "Scarecrow" would not be able to have a suitable ending, but found the microphone-less adieu a well-played card...and soon became soaked in tears.
    I'm unsure of what is next for the show, but will continue to give it chances...at least through this season and the start of next to see what they are trying.

April 30, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Al

My fianci and I are big fans of the office. Although this season definitely had its ups and downs, we thoroughly enjoyed this episode. It was humorous, yet heartful. It seems that the tears that ran down Michael's face and the wattery eyes of Jim was not just acting. I was so touched and relieved when Pam showed up at the airport.

What's sad is that Michael is not just leaving his coworkers, he is leaving his audience.

I am a huge fan of Will Ferrel, and in fact, I said (before I knew that he was replacing Carell) that Will Ferrel is the only person in Hollywood that can replace Carell. I could not think of anyone else that could keep the show running. I did think that his performance was somewhat mediocre, but I think it was because the focus of the show was on Michael. After 8 years, it will definitely take some time getting used to a new character. I hope that his character is permanent. I have heard from some people that it is only temporary.

Carell, why did you have to leave?

April 30, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  10. Yo

The article says "Does Steve Carell deserve another Emmy?" He's never won an emmy for Michael Scott.

April 30, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. The Music Guy

After the tragic week we've gone through in the South, I was ready for some final laughs from Steve Carrell. What I wasn't banking on was weeping those last 10-15 minutes. We are all emotional basket cases here in Alabama and while we have to remain strong for our state, I was able to let go and cry during Steve's final moments on the show. Thank you to "The Office" for helping get that emotion out of me and I for one will remain faithful to the show until the end.

April 30, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. pleased

The last few years of The Office have been less funny, but I thought the last few episodes were great for wrapping up Michael's time in Scranton. The final episode was a perfect blend of Michael's quirkiness and sentimentality. I loved every minute of it!

April 30, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. Heriberto

I found the growth and maturation of Michael Scott's character the most disarming and charming aspect of his departure. The lack of love in his life and his need to supplant his coworkers for what most likely was his real dysfunctio­nal family was the driver for most of the previous Scott story arches.http://bit.ly/lF2ORS

April 30, 2011 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mike Nasser

The final episode reminded me why I loved to watch The Office. If the rest of this season was more like this episode, then perhpas Steve Carell would have stuck around. This season's Michael & Holly jokes were stupid, not funny, and mostly annoying. Michael seemed to have lost his charm and wit, and the plots were way too exagerated and not very funny. This all changed with the last episode as The Office staff managed to make us both laugh and cry. It was a nice and emotional episode, and I loved the Jim-Michael moment, the Dwight moment, and how they even topped all that with the final Pam moment! Deangelo showed some of the dumbness of this season and his sales scene was really stupid and not very funny. We will miss Michael Scott. Hopefully they'll fill the void with some other character that will bring some intelligent humor to the series.

April 30, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • bhix

yo i never do this and never come to this site. but what you said was right on. just had to let you know.

May 1, 2011 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. @N

@edward get off dis article & speard twilightness all ova the breakin dawn article!!!!anyway edward is my least fave character!!!edward is more lik edfarto!!!

April 29, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ali

I cried the last ten minutes, my eyes were swollen this morning when I woke up. The episode was good but I still feel like I lost a good friend that I hung out with on thursday nights. I don't think the office is going to be the same without Sir Michael Scott.

April 29, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Don JJ

WHAT!!! That one was for that comment. Anyways the Office is not going to be as funny as it would be with Steve Carell. I do agree that it should competely end with a good replacement but not as good as Michael Scott.

April 29, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Toby

I have watched every episode since season one. Thursdays have always been office night. Each character is unique and the writers have done an amazing job developing the individuality. Last nights episode was perfect. The tears were real and the farewell touching. Thank you Michael Scott for years of laughter and making the week that much better!

April 29, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. edward

The dictionary defines "awesome" as inspiring or characterized by awe, very impressive. This word completely personifies last nights episode!the good-bye's were as they should be...short and somewhat sweet. He will be missed and it will be interesting to watch the trajectory of his career along with the direction of the show.

April 29, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. kb

I love the show, but they should end it with steve carell leaving. That episode woulx have worked well as a series ender. Better to end instead of of letting the show go down

April 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Harold Camping

I was reading my Bible...Judgement Day is May 21, 2011..call my show on May 22...I predicted the end twice before and was wrong....but this time it is different...maybe I have gas...dunno...I, Harold Camping am a false prophet!!! A CHARLATAN!!!!!!

April 29, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  22. anne

I love the office can someone tell me when they will rerun this episode? I missed unfortunately! So sad!

April 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  23. anne

I love the office can someone tell me when they will rerun this episode? I missed unfotunately! So sad!

April 29, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. She

I never said any of that.

April 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Matt

That's what she said

April 29, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  26. super fan

If it got old after the first time, I'm curious as to why you continued watching it. All the way up until Michael Scott's departure.

April 29, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Sunshine Girl *

Thank God there will be no more of 'Thats what she said'. It got very old after he said it the 1st time. Not funny.

April 29, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. sambe

Toby and his brother, Rory, were quite funny as they were droning on with each other via skype.

April 29, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

I agree that scene was brilliant. I think it was the same actor just made up to look different.

April 29, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Sunshine Girl *

I cant stand Micheals character on the show. The Office isnt really comedy. Its more black humor. After Steve Carrell leaves the show I dont see it lasting too much longer. The comedians that their replacing him with dont do that kind of thing. Itll be something totally different and I just dont see it working. Good riddance Micheal.

April 29, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • super fan

Wow. You are one angry and misinformed sunshine. Clearly you are not familiar with the guest stars that they are bringing in. 3 of the 5 are still televison based actors. That would be Ray Romano, Will Arnett and James Spader.

April 29, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Sandee

It was such a perfect goodbye for Michael Scott. His moments with each person were both touching and awkward – a combination Steve Carell mastered. He will be missed, but I look forward to a new boss too. When new actors joined Law & Order, it always brought a new energy and new storylines to explore. It will be different, but that doesn't have to mean bad. People come and go in your life. It doesn't mean your life is over. It just means it's different.

April 29, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  31. i cant belive is not butter

Dam I missed the show! My frick inlaws showed up thirty before it started and started to floppp their mouths and made me miss it...dam and my frick mother in law wanted fnnn chicken so had to go and get some ..augggggg I hate themmm!

April 29, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  32. earl

Will ferrell only sign up for 4 shows he has one show left. Even the previews show that

April 29, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Dale

Liked it.Am waiting for the next episode as am not convinced he has really left and he'll turn up again.I am British and loved the short lived Brit series but Carrell made me a fan of the USA version.Will Ferrell does not fit.Maybe its time for the Office to go,simply put it WAS Carrell.

April 29, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  34. cody

he did say one final "thats what she said" when he took off his mic at the airport

April 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Joe

All American TV shows are garbage ripped off from the original British ones...

April 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danceland

You, sir, are an idiot.

April 29, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • jen

Um, excuse me, but what about all the ripoffs that the British do our shows?????? Law and order UK, the Golden Girls (Brighton Babes), Mad about you, Jeopardy, Price is Right, That 70's show, and many more!

SO think before you speak silly person.

April 30, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  36. dan smith

Never could stand to watch the stupid show. It's only slightly better the reality tv crap.

April 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  37. dan smith

Never could stand to watch the stupid show.

April 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  38. max

Good episode! My only critique....what's up with the TSA in Scranton letting an un ticketed passenger throught security. Tsst tsst

April 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Chickensoup

Everyone will miss The Office dearly. Absolutely no one can replace Steve Carrel. The Office without him is just... not the office. I love this show. Come back Michael Scott!!! Your spot will be a hard one to fill, "That's what she said"

April 29, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  40. mike

april-he did have one last thats what she said. at the airport right after he took his mic off, he said im glad to get this off my chest.....then lipped, thats what she said.

April 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Chloe

As much as Michael was an idiot, Michael had his (rare)moments of genius and stood for his company/employees. If you watched the show more, you'd know that.

April 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jim

I hope they do will ferril's character right. If so, that show will be awesome.

April 29, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

Wills character is only on for a total of 4 episodes apparently, he won't be taking over. The finale has a group of people (will arnett, jim carey, ray ramano, ricky gervais and a few others) interviewing for the job and one of them will be taking over

April 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Kasi

I love this show! But I really don't thing Will Ferrel is a good fit and I think the show is going to flop. I mostly watched this show because of Michael Scott!

April 29, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  44. The Real Duck

Bad episode, made me realize that i made the right decision to stop watching two years ago. I like Steve Carell, but he certainly doesn't deserve an Emmy. Nothing rang true on this episode. How could Michael Scott be the best boss anyone ever had? He was an idiot.

April 29, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  45. April

I felt a Lil disappointed in last night's episode. Last week I was in tears when they started to sing to Michael. This week the only thing that got me choked up was Pam running through the airport.

I definitely felt Steve's tears were real throughout the entire episode. It was something so genuine about them. It was a cute episode though he did not say "That's what she said" one last time

April 29, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • LuvDudes

I absolutely loved this office episode!! I was in tears at all of the points the author mentions in the article. I cannot imagine anyone filling Carells shoes. Love him, love him, love him!!

April 29, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeff

he says "that's what she said" right after he takes off the mic in the airport!

April 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd

he did say it one last time... after he takes the mic off, his lips move and it's pretty clear that he mouthed "That's what she said"... thank god for instant replay.

April 29, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

He did say "That's what she said" after he took off the microphone and said "it's going to feel so good to get this off my chest."

April 29, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thats what she said

He actually mouthed "thats what she said" after he took off the mic at the end. :) :)

April 29, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • super fan

Hi April, actually he did say "that's what she said". In the airport scene when he took his microphone off he said it feels good to get this off my chest and then came the infamous "thats what she said." It happened after he took the mic off so it was difficult to notice.

April 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Ehhh

As a regular watcher of The Office, I wasn't terribly impressed with the episode of Michael's departure.

April 29, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

I agree with you. I have watched every episode and own every season. I felt this year was one of the worst years of writing they have had. This episode stated of badly and only made its way to mediocrity. The best part of the episode for me was the final line of Dwight looking at Jim saying "uh-oh" to the new boss and his antics.

April 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Scott from American Idol

i did. i drpooed out so i could work at the fudj factory.

April 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  48. sure thing

who?
    what show?
    never heard of neither of them.

April 29, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Then Why are you here?

If you never heard of the show, why did you read this story? It should mean nothing to you.

April 29, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

This sad little clown left the exact same comment under the January Jones pregnancy article. Wow. A serial idiot.

April 29, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  49. nancy

he have me a bad annual review once. said i wasnt a team player. i am glad to see him go.

April 29, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |