'The Office' says goodbye to Steve Carell tonight
April 28th, 2011

'The Office' says goodbye to Steve Carell tonight

“The Office” has provided its fair share of laughs over its seven seasons, but tonight's super-sized episode that marks Steve Carell’s exit - and the departure of Michael Scott, the eccentric but loveable boss Carell's portrayed to acclaim on the NBC series - had the cast holding back tears.

Director Paul Feig admitted to the Los Angeles Times that yes, even he had to break out the tissues. (And it looks like he wasn’t the only one - the tears were flowing for Angela Kinsey as well as she rehearsed a final scene with Carell.)

But when the time came for Feig to hand his present of a desk clock to the "Office" actor, he tried to leave him with a more upbeat message.

"I had a Dr. Seuss quote engraved on it - 'Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened' - because that's how I faced the week," Feig revealed.

Part of the difficulty of working on this episode is that the show’s characters wouldn’t behave in quite the same way saying goodbye to Michael Scott as the actual cast did bidding farewell to Carell.

As a result, tonight’s episode unfolds “exactly the way it would go with a boss like Michael leaving Dunder Mifflin,” Feig told E! Online. “If you think back on this he's been a very odd boss. The hardest part was balancing out our real-life love for Steve, who is the greatest man in the world—the nicest person in the world, you can't imagine working with somebody nicer than him—with how you would really react if a boss like that was leaving. The hardest part for Greg Daniels, who wrote the episode, and myself, being on the set, was making sure that we didn't get sadder than the characters on the show would be.”

Attempting to keep their on-camera feelings in check didn’t make Carell’s behind-the-scenes departure any easier, least of which for Carell himself.

“It was very hard for him in the sense that everyone around him was so emotional and he was extremely emotional, too,” Feig said. “Once we wrapped, they gathered everybody on the sound stage and they did presentations to Steve and people brought presents and presented him with things. We showed tapes of outtakes and then after that a bunch of us went to another party for him that the cast threw, and that was more sendoff stuff, and John Krasinski put together this amazing video where he got real-life fans of the show and celebrity fans of the show to do a tribute to Steve.”

Feig said he was “exhausted at the end of that day. So I could only imagine that Steve was just emotionally raw and numb. But it was a proper outpouring of emotion for a man who is completely deserving of getting that much [attention].”

"Goodbye, Michael" kicks off tonight at 9 p.m., including Will Ferrell, who's been filling the role of Deangelo Vickers, Scott's (presumably temporary) replacement.

How do you think the show will fare after Carell takes his leave?

Filed under: television • The Office

1. minestrone

That's what she said!!!!

May 14, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JiLL BaBy

I love this show! but i couldnt figure one thing out about this episode.. who played tobys brother Rory? now, it looked a lot like toby that is obvious. but somehow i'm thinking it was bj novack (ryan) with the right makeup. can anyone figure this out?

May 4, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. officegirl

Alex NJ – I have to agree with you. The show was so great because all the characters worked so well together and Michael Scott was so odd. Adding the big names, Jim Carey or Will Ferrel will not save the show.

April 29, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Susan Savino

It definitely will not be the same without Steve Carell. As much as I like Will Farrell ( I saw him when he was in "The Groundlings" well before he be came famous) I don't believe he can save "The Office, and I , seriously don't think that Jim Carrey will hold a candle to anyone beside Steve! I think that " The Office" will have to played over and over with the original cast. That is the only way I and the other faithful, former "watchers will tune in!

April 29, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. officegirl

The Office is an amazingly funny show. To better relate you must work in an office. My friends and I watched this show every Thursday and we could definatley pick out our co-workers in the cast. Michael Scott will be missed!!!! I hate to say it but I don't know that the show will survive without him. I think one reason why the show was so sucessfull is because the entire cast were basically no names in the industry, now that Steve is leaving they are trying to pump the show with big name actors and pass them off as regular people. I like Will Ferrel but I don't care for him in The Office. I really hope they come up with something good or I'm not sure if I will be watching anymore.

April 29, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. #1mom

The office is a great show. Steve is an awesome actor and I would rate him right up there w/ Jim Carey. I think Carey should replace him over anyone else they said. Will Ferrell shouldn't have even been casted as a possible replacement. @Tim You apparently didn't watch King of Queens... the very last episode they adopted a child and she found out she was pregnant

April 29, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. meh

It was a good episode

April 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. shayfromerrosville

Did'ed watch the show but i love him as an actor so stop hateing and get a life.and yall sleeping on will he is so funny.

April 29, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  9. Skye

Farewell Michael Scott....ya done good!

April 29, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  10. PTM

Sad to see Michael Scott go, what a GREAT show this has been, the best since Friends, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond and King of Queens. Really looked as though Steve had tears in his eyes when he was taking one last look at everyone in the office. Good luck to Will Ferrell.

April 29, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. MrBill

Creed should be promoted to boss.

April 29, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. gglenn

i think Charlie Sheen is available as replacement. A warlock would make sure the show would keep winning. Duh.

April 29, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  13. Rupert

Show has been on the ropes the past couple seasons. Just not funny, too many brainless plot fixes, too much office romance, etc. I mean none of this makes sense from a real world perspective. New boss comes in, you form your own company, and then they buy you out and fire the guy that had your job? Ha ok, a real co. would let you sink and take those clients back. And this will ferrell thing is just stupid. He's the new boss, he's not the new boss, no company would actually do this. Meanwhile it looks to me like they are going to literally "try out" these other candidates in front of a TV audience and see how they do. They have run out of good ideas, the plot arcs have become too incestuous with everyone liking everyone. A real corporate office could not function with half the employees dating or married to one another. Carell got off a sinking ship, the rest are doomed to go down with her new captain.

April 29, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael Starn

you realize this is a fictional comedy dont you?

April 29, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • PTM

Dude, it's a comedy, take it easy, lol.

April 29, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Rupert

My comment was just that the writing has gotten so lazy with reference to plot lines that they just make up very convenient, nonsensical solutions that in the real world would not occur. I mean instead of firing charles why didn't they just have him hit by a meteorite? That would make as much sense. Or being bought out by a company where the CEO shows up a couple times and is never heard from again? Packer shows up for one episode only to be hired and fired? Some guy is going to replace the manager but he's only temporary?

They should have left the office romance alone at jim and pam, but it was just too easy for them to have other people get into it. So you have kelly and ryan, kelly and darrell, dwight and angela, angela and andy, andy and erin, erin and gabe, jan and michael, michael and holly (twice). I mean that is just ridiculous. Instead of keeping some tension there they just cashed in and let it happen. Well that plot line can only go so far. The BBC version did it right, I would rather have had 2-3 seasons of that show as opposed to this where all the ideas are gone, everyone's dated everyone, and so many characters have been tossed in the bin being used up for very short arcs.

April 29, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ed

The show should have ended with Jim and Pam's wedding. It has been on a serious downward slide since then. If they had just chosen to end it then, it would be remembered similarly to Seinfeld, who quit while he was on top. Now people will remember the last couple of seasons, which have been mediocre at best.

April 29, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. Greg

The show's been mediocre at best the last couple of years. It used to be hysterical, and I think it peaked when Holly was on the first time around. I'll probably keep watching it, but not religiously like in the past.

You want a prediction? Darrell will become the new boss.

April 29, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  16. Chris

If Jim Carey brings his A game, it might work.

April 29, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  17. Name*tonyfromdetroit

Just started watching this year and got hooked taped every rerun caught up on all the episodes mainly because of Michael don't know if I'll continue watching but want to be fair to the entire cast

April 29, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  18. Orbit

I thing the reezen Steeve Carol is Levening is becuz of al the presher. he cant stand the presher and it has made him leeved, i hope him duz well with his new wife in Organ.

April 29, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • JJ

I hope thats not really the way you spell. English please.

April 29, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Chas

Tell me you're kidding....

April 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • pilo

I hope that really is the way you spell because in THIS COUNTRY everyone has freedom of speech, especially if no one else can understand what you're saying...

April 29, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  19. James

has its moments, but mostly over rated..

April 29, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  20. Josie Holder

This is one of the greatest comedies that I can remember. So, so sorry that Steve is gone, but he needs to spread his wings... I will miss the antics of the crew, though I am sure the show won't last. I will tune in to see how it goes......

April 29, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  21. leslie lenoir

*how miserable you are,*

April 29, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  22. leslie lenoir

I like the show but I don't have much time to watch it on a regular
    basis. So, I am curious...why do people post negative remarks regarding something they claim to
    hate in the first place? Second, if you are going to let the world know how miserable don't add to this
    unappealing trait by posting comments
    that also highlight the effects of being uneducated.
    The misspelled words are priceless especially when you are being a jerk.

April 29, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  23. aenic

I couldn't watch it because of the stupid NBA finals. The Office just won't be the same now.

April 29, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  24. Murphy

I have had so many great timeswatching Michael and staff. What a great show... Will Ferrell is awful... Just not likeable at all. Not the least bit funny either. Good luck Steve...The cream always rises to the top. Unless you're a politian.

April 28, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. kat

Followed show from beginning and find it very entertaining. The relationships that play off each other is so funny. I watched tonight and thought the writers did excellent with material. It would be funny if in a cameo, Michael and Rory (Toby's) brothers become tight, because of the dislike Michael has for Toby. And he is one to meet Rory just because he said he would or because he didn't say that he wouldn't. And giving that sock monkey as a gift and then laughing cause he accepted the gift was great. I didn't enjoy will ferrell in show tonight but thought it was one of the best endings ever for a character. Better than in MASH where the chopper gets hit as the old good guy flying 4 home! The show still has great potential, but only a select group could pull off a revival & most of the names being spun are not "it". I hope the office finishes as strong when its run its course. I for one, say long live the OFFICE! And great job.

April 28, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Me

Love the show, but I think Michael's Last Dundies was the WORST episode I've ever seen. I wanted to laugh but couldn't. Will Ferrell is totally ruining the end of the season. I believe the show will last one more season, but as much as I like the rest of the characters, the show should probably end now because it will be lame without Michael Scott.

April 28, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  27. @N

goodbye steve!!we wont miss you!!!the exit is over there please go thourgh & neva come back!!byebye the office u r a very low rated show!!!

April 28, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Lisa

The Office will NEVER be the same without Steve Carell. He definitely made the show. I will not watch it if, for some reason, Will Ferrell stays on. I can't take him for whatever reason.

April 28, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Rick

One of the best send offs ever done. Have a good life Michael Scott. See you in the movies Steve Carell

April 28, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Superhiro

Never thought he was very good in the role. Can't hold a candle to Ricky Gervais' David Brent.

April 28, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob

You are absolutely right. The British version was edger and better all around.
      In that version the Jim and Pam character never got together, despite falling in love..

April 29, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  31. Bob

Finally, I always have to mute the TV when they switch to his annoying, supposed to be "funny" dialect.

April 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Alex NJ

I absolutely love this show but I have to admit I am treating this show like I did Scrubs. I don't count anything that happened after Zach Braff left that show. Same goes for The Office. Michael Scott is irreplaceable and if The Office were a Jenga set, Steve Carrel would be the piece that when removed sends the whole thing crashing down. After tonight, The Office definitely will have jumped the shark.

April 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lawra

Nice analogy. I'm hoping you are wrong because I love the show but I fear you are probably correct.

April 28, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

You're absolutely right, if the show was going down hill before its 6 feet under now. Oh, and Zach Braff's character was unbearable, he was my least favorite on Scrubs.

April 28, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. MySaac

I've only caught it in syndication. If it weren't for Jenna Fischer it would be unwatchable.

April 28, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  34. JTV

Maybe I'll watch it now. This guy is almost as bad as Ben Stiller! Unwatchable. Good ridence to a bad actor on a great show concept. At least Richard Kind didn't make an appearance. He'll kill any show you put him on!

April 28, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ecnal

If you hate the show so much, why read an article about it, and then comment about it? Sounds like you need something better to do.

April 28, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Longtimeofficefan

Loved the show for years, but it jumped the shark when Jim and Pam had their baby. It's been down hill ever since and no celebrity can bring it back to glory. The formula,while successful for awhile has played out. This goes back to at least the Brady Bunch. Remember when they brought cousin Oliver in? Or how about the Cosby show bringing in Simone? Or how about Friends? Shall I continue? Introducing a child kills the mojo of the sitcom.

April 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Wow, I never realized that, you are completely right. Thats why I was always so glad they never had a kid on the king of queens.

April 29, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • jennygirl

i agree. when a show is on the downhill slide, why do writers think that the best way to up the ratings is by bringing in a baby? in real life, when you have a baby, everything stops so that you can care for the child. while rewarding for a parent, how entertaining is THAT?

April 29, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  36. Mary

I never watch "The Office" GOOD BYE!

April 28, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Anthony Jack

Think hard the only person who could evenly remotely replace steve carrell would be maybe "Zach Braff" or even a young "Larry Hagman" for anyone under 30 that's "JR Ewing"!!

April 28, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Keli

I'll miss Steve Carrell as Michael Scott. He was one of the reasons the show was great because he was so awkwardly entertaining. I think it will be possible for the show to keep its fan base, provided the right person is chosen to replace Carell as the boss. My money is on Carrey. People will be feeling the Michael Scott void soon enough and I think Jim Carrey has the right amount of wacky to revitilize the role once Will Ferrell leaves (which I hope he does). I think Carret could definitely hold his own. The others, not so sure... I think they'd get boring quickly. Arnett is my second choice, but I don't see it happening.

April 28, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  39. TheWordMaster

Goodbye Steve! You are a great actor, and one of my favorite people. All the fans will surely miss you, and I hope you will go one to be in more wonderful TV shows and movies! Long live The Office!

April 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  40. LL

This show gives me diareahh !

April 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  41. dundeefan

You sure there are guest stars tonight besides will ferrell...I heard that isn't until the season finale...

April 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  42. cheefsfury

I GIVE IT 2 SEASONS TOPS AND THATS AFTER THEY TRY SEVERAL DIFFERNT STRATEGYS TO MAKE IN WATCH ABLE I MEAN THE SHOW IS PRETTY BAD NOW ANYWAY ITS LIKE ALL TEH GOOD RIGHTERS WENT TO PARKS ANC REC

April 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • ...

Writers.

April 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • RG

I like the all caps and spelling, you are amazing !!!! The bad spelling and all caps, cancels out your opinion.

April 28, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • fazha

You shouldn't write comments while drunk. Or stupid.

April 29, 2011 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Halifax

Wow, I think he even mispelled his name? Turn Springer off while operating your laptop....

April 29, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Halifax

And i misspelled misspelled? LOL

April 29, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • jennygirl

i had to read this comment more than once to understand it. the typos and incorrect spellings threw me off

April 29, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • DJ

You're right, RG. But so, does, comma, abuse.

April 29, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • randallinnb

Wow.. A comment from cheefsfury that isn't about comic books or superhero movies.... Still all in caps and still spelling errors but at least you are working your way closer to "normal".. Congrats!

April 29, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • wmesser58

@RPG what opinion, who ever this person is only shows how belligerent they are.

April 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • wmesser58

@RP what opinion, who ever this person is only shows how belligerent they are.

April 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Manny

Steve Carell, will be hard to replace. I've become a huge fan over the seasons and will definitely miss him. With a great cast remaining I am sure the show will continue to be one of my favorites.

April 28, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  44. SmarterthanU

It's going to be hard to replace Michael Scott. Such a strong, awkward, funny, interestingly humane, yet socially struggling character. Carrel is king.

You'll never like the show if you haven't worked in an office or are a slave to the machine.

April 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Evel Knievel

They've been talking about him leaving for 5-6 years, it seems. Bout time.

April 28, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  46. JR

Way to get while the getten's good.....the show is starting to blow.

April 28, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  47. jazmin

omb hes ugly!!

April 28, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • jodee

Awwww, c Mon, " there's no crying in baseball!" You guys(cast) R the "OFFICE" and that can nor ever will be taken from u! That's like trying to replace a " peg" or a "Lucy". The office cast will b remembered like a virgin loses it name. Make sense? So...ull b missed really,good luck?!

April 29, 2011 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |