'Idol' Top 6 sing songs of Carole King
April 27th, 2011

'Idol' Top 6 sing songs of Carole King

9:26 p.m. –  James and Jacob want to take it to church with "Something Tells Me I'm Into Something Good."

They appear to be trying to outscreech each other. They serenade Jennifer a bit, but it wasn't great.

Sorry J & J, but I didn't dig it.9:20 p.m. –  Haley, what is up with that headband in rehearsal?

She has a bit of a technical issue with her earpiece, but they work it out in time for her to sing "Beautiful."

I do believe she is growing on me for some reason. Her voice sounds stronger to me, and she is not at all overpowered by the back-up singers. Steven Tyler says he "heard God in her voice," but Randy didn't love the beginning.

It's what the voters think that matters, Dawg.

9:10 p.m. -"Hi-De-Ho" is the perfect some for Casey, and he looks snazzy in his suit and hat.

He's such a throwback to a different era, and I worry that the viewers cannot fully appreciate his artistry. He's definitely not like what they are used to.

Randy loves it for much the same reason I did - it made me feel like I was in a great jazz joint. Casey played the piano and jammed with the band. Steven Tyler said it made his scalp itch it was so good.

What?

9:01 p.m. – Lauren and Scotty sing "Up on the Roof," and they are so adorable.

He tries to get her to hold her microphone like a flute. Just precious.

8:57 p.m. – OK, a friend just told me James sang "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow," and it was amazing. This makes me happy for James, but sad for me.

Tornado warnings are important though, so I shouldn't complain too much.

8:49 p.m. – This stinks, but I totally missed everything about James' performance except the last note. Seriously, my local weather dude talked through the entire thing from the mentoring session all the way to the very last note.

Now I'm mad because Jennifer says he was the star of the night. And Randy says it was one of the best performances in the past few months and that James could win the whole thing. Randy even hugs him.

I cannot believe the timing and that I missed the entire thing. Grrrrrrrr!

8:37 p.m. – Scotty has to leave his comfort zone.

At least that's what they tell him. He's got to shake the perception that he can only do country. I can't comment on what Jimmy and Babyface tell him because we've got some nasty weather about to come through where I am and the local weatherman breaks in with an advisory.

I can tell you that Scott's version of "You've Got A Friend" sounds very country to me. The kid can't help it. I swear that a hip-hop song by him would sound country. Scotty is who he is, and his fans love him for it.

Randy loved it, but says he's got to stop falling off on the high notes. It was a good performance.

8:28 p.m. -  Tomorrow night, Bruno Mars and Crystal Bowersox are performing. That should be hot.

We have some duets this evening, and the first one is Casey and Haley singing "I Feel the Earth Move." Their little interview before the song will do nothing to quell rumors that they are dating as they are all giggly and have a bit of a lovefest. Casey says he likes to growl with her.

Well alrighty then!

I like these two together. Very bluesy and soulful. Steven Tyler seems to confirm that they've got something going as you hear him say to the other two judges "Oh really" before he asks Casey "So how much in love with Haley are you ... cause it shows."

Cover. Blown.

8:16 p.m. – Lauren is singing "Where You Lead," and I can't even focus on that because here is Miley Cyrus offering up some advice.

She tells Lauren that people are always going to criticize her and talk about her. She should know as Jimmy slammed Miley a few weeks ago when he said Lauren was a stronger singer than her. He mentions that her fans have said some nasty things online about him, and she tells him he deserved it.

But back to Lauren. She pulls a kid out of the audience to sing to him, and this is the most relaxed I have ever seen her on the stage. She goes for the high notes, works the stage and J-Lo says it brought tears to her eyes.

Randy says she had some "extra swagger," and I agree. I hope she keeps building her confidence because I think she's already a star. She's in tears with all of the praise.

Ryan grills the kid to whom she sang. He's a 19-year-old named Brett. Lauren needs to get that number cause he's a cutie!

8:07 p.m. – Jacob selects "Oh No, Not My Baby" and Jimmy wants him to riff.

Wait, I thought Jimmy said before that he riffs too much. I'm as confused by this advice as I am Jacob's outfit of a blue gingham jacket with a brighter blue vest, yellow shirt and multicolored bow tie.

But Mantasia takes it to church! He's riffing, running, dancing, jumping. Now that's how you start a show!

8:05 p.m. – Hey Constantine Maroulis! You just can't stay away, can ya.

Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds is going to mentor tonight also. YAY!

I had no idea he had worked with Carole King. This should be good!

8:03 p.m. – Carole King is the business. Love her!

She has written so many amazing hits, recorded by more than 1,000 well-known artists. That's a great career.

I hope the contestants can do her music justice.

8 p.m. - Hello Wednesday evening.

Our Top 6 have made it where 124,000 have not, Ryan reminds us. Let's go!

1. be quiet

Jacob will go tonight, then Casey, then Haley, then Scotty, Lauren and James will be in the finals and James will win.

April 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lojenkins

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdV4X2M2AI&w=640&h=390]

April 28, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. QC

I think the judges are showing too much favoritism this year. James was really good last night. I just loved Casey and Haley duet, agreed that Casey definitely out sung Haley. Jacob is FABULOUS!!! I love him, but I think AMERICA is not looking for talented singers–it popularity contest now. Only cuties versus the Gents now. Lauren, can sing but her confidence level is going to hurt her from going to the next level. Scotty is Scotty...boring and puts me to sleep - and he's no Carrie Underwood.

April 28, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. Fan of Pia

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ZJ8BYMwMM&w=640&h=390]

April 28, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. ned smith

OK, lets get real! She is a sweet girl, but Lauren is CLEARLY the weakest link of the 6. She is an average singer at best, and she is never in the bottom 3? Jacob, on the other hand, is a FABULOUS singer, and will probably be in the bottom 3 again tonight. If this were purely a SINGING CONTEST, the next 2 to go would be Lauren and Haley, and the final 2 standing would be Jacob and James. By the way, did you see Pia on DWTS? Why oh Why is she OFF, while lauren and Haley are still on????

April 28, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ron

I am a little put out with the judges especially Randy for showing such favoritism last night to Casey and James, i.e. going up on the stage and hugging James. I can't amagine how the other Idols must feel.

April 28, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Granny Kat

@lana-Adam Lambert was not on American Idol last season; it was the season before. Last season's winner was Lee Dewyze. While he was good, Crystal Bowersox should have been THE IDOL!

April 28, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • natmach

I agree with you Crystal should have won and I'm looking forward to watching her tonight. This thing about women no liking the girls, might be off a bit, she was my favourite last year and my ovaries just told me that I am a woman. As for Pia, she is an amazing singer, but no personality and very stiff, she sings well standing in one place. I do have to say that I prefer rockers that sing really well male or female! Love Joan Jett!

April 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dtcpr

1. James = amazing
    2. that duet between casey and haley they are def dating and i think he totally out sung her
    3. scotty was so close but could not help himself

can't wait for tonight!

April 28, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. lana

"Jackson said Durbin proved he's "a great singer" and "just might win the whole thing!"

April 28, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. The Dook

GIrlfriend it was an awsome show ! I had beans for lunch so was tooting in tune with the beat ! Diarreah Baby ! Diarreah !

April 28, 2011 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. Scott

it is such a shame that Lauren is holding back, or just not confident enough to go all out. She is by far the most talented of the remaining six. She is 16 years old, and has no idea how great she can and will be. I think she will be safe this week, but I am really getting worried after that. She just needs to let loose and go for it. James, while one of the front runners, will end up just like adam lambert......A nothing talent who will scream and make an album but wont go far with it. If you look the most popular idols have been carrie underwood, chris daughtry, and kelly clarkson. I personally think think that Lauren could be in the mold of carrie underwood. Oh well, thats just my opinion, and I am sure time will tell.

April 28, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Kay Brown

Scotty could also follow the route of Carrie Underwood

April 28, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • lana

Oh, Adam Lambert was nominated for an "Grammy", pretty good for someone who lost to IDOL last season.

April 28, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. TampaBayOldie

Bottom Three ... Jacob ... Casey ... Haley ... Jacob go home.

April 27, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kay/Kay/Kay All The Way

What in the world was Jacob trying to do with that ridiculous outfit? Is he color blind, or did he get dressed with his eyes closed? Well whatever he did..his clothing choice isnt any better than his singing. Hell be going home very soon I promise.

April 27, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gloria

James is not my favorite style singer but tonight he was sooooo awesome and stole the show. He can truly sing and needs to sing more songs like that. It really showcased his voice.

April 27, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dana

Was able to get online and watch James on YouTube...Wow! I really don't have words for that....just WOW! Also found Lauren and Scotty, but unable to find Casey, Haley, and Jacob....

April 27, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Sunshine Girl *

James is by far the best contestant, w/Scott running a very close 2nd. I think itll come down to those 2 in the end run. I just cant stand Haley at all. I hope she goes home. But Casey/Jacob/Lauren better watch out b/c they all are slipping.

April 27, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • dnice

Sunshine, I total agree with you. James was so great, but he did screech at the end, which didn't fit this song. I don't mind it when he's "rocking" but it was not appropriate for this one. But I think it's James, Scotty or Lauren. I like the rest, but I don't see any of them winning. Casey needs to keep singing his songs, and not growling the notes as much. When he sings and does a little of the scatty/jazzy/growly thing its ok, but more is not better.

April 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Granny Kat

I said it before and I'll say it again..JAMES is your next American Idol !!! Granny was busy hitting the redial button tonight.

April 27, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Bulldog

what's up with the sound again?? All the on stage sound sounds like they are in a tunnel...but pre-recorded video bits sound fine. Stupid AI production techs screwing up the sound AGAIN. Oh well. I guess I'll just expect the sound sound to be bad with this show now.

April 27, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Oscar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toRitgekr4k&hd=1 <- this a good hd version of James performing :)

April 27, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dana

I am in Alabama. We have had nasty weather all afternoon and evening. It is headed your way, Lisa, so be careful and safe!

April 27, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Thanks Dana. Just some downed trees and power lines, but thank goodness we were safe. My heart goes out to everyone who suffered loss because of the tornado.

April 28, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  21. Jeff A.Marmon

Carol King rocks on.

April 27, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  22. David Larry Peris

Carol King is a great song writer and singer and i appreciate them including her work.

April 27, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. moosey

i have loved Jacob all along but since the man in the mirror incident he seems to have been shaken out of his confidence..sad. i hope he doesn't go home but i think he has lost his stride. and i think scotty may be headed in that direction too. James has by far been the most consistant not only vocally but visually. he has delivered the complete package every performance. he is the one to beat at this point. good luck to all of them though:)

April 27, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. AnonymousGirl

Randy is a total DOCUHE BAG! He always has a negative comment to say about Haley. He couldn't even give a justifiable reason as to why he didn't like Haley's performance???????

April 27, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Because

he probably sees her as a threat to someone he likes more and to heck with anything else. Yeah it's annoying, he always has to toss on teh wet blanket. at least jlo and tyler were giving her mad props full on this time.

April 27, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. juliejet

Is Atlanta having a tornado?

April 27, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. juliejet

Well, I'm sad to say Jacob lost me a couple of weeks ago; his recent performances and narcissistic comments did it. I truly hope he is successful with the right help in the music industry. I think James, Scotty and maybe Lauren could be the next idol. If James would stop screeching, I would like him a lot more. I think Scotty is my favorite now; tonight proves he still has much untapped talent.

April 27, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bookenz

Jacob lost my support too with his Man in the Mirror comment a few weeks ago. He said that if he ends up in the Bottom Three, it's 'cause America wasn't ready to look themselves in the mirror.

What an ego.

April 28, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  27. Brian

Well I have one thing in common with Steven Tyler, I also had my first serious makeout session listening to "will you love me tomorrow", but in the back seat of my car, not a bowling alley.

James is definitely at least ONE cut above the rest, that was awesome.

April 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. scott

I honestly think if Jacob had picked a better song he could've saved himself. TERRIBLE song choice. He just shot himself in the foot and is without any doubt going home. At this point I'm rooting for an underdog to win, like either Casey or Haley. Won't happen though.

April 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Laura

The judges were right-James ruled the evening! But I just have to say, while I think Casey is a talented musician I see him taking a more behind the scenes direction in his career. I can easily picture him creating awesome, interesting music, but he is just weird on stage. I always feel like he is seconds away from talking in tongues.

April 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  30. bonniegirl

LOL @ James responding to Steve's "didn't know where you were goin' with that"....."to church!"....did I mention that I loved him???

April 27, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Rachel

I feel you – I'm in Atlanta so I also missed his performance. I was literally yelling at the TV :)

April 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Rachel, I am also in Atlanta. Stay safe!

April 27, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Erinn

My Top Three:

James, Haley, and Casey!

April 27, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  33. mac

If you are in the atlanta area and missed it due to the weather man interrupting, James' version of "Will you still love me tomorrow" has already been posted on you tube.

April 27, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  34. vbdub

CNN writer: You can go to YouTube for James, but I bet you already know that.

April 27, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  35. yo

I can't wait for Casey to come out with his jazz/pop album! He has a real talent for his genre.

April 27, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Pearl Nelson

Somebody needs to Botox Scotty's eyebrows to freeze them and keep them from crawling to his hairline.

April 27, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Pearl Nelson

James is so far above the others in every aspect, it's just ridiculous to think he won't take the whole thing. He has the most mature voice and has a natural ability to move it from genre to genre almost effortlessly.

April 27, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

agreed entirely. james really made everybody else look far more amateur than he is tonight.

he's blowing away the mentors, the judges, and everybody else. and it's important to note that he has made all of the decisions for himself, much to the chagrin of jimmy and the mentors at times. yet, he has brought the most solid performance every week. and he certainly has the greatest breadth and cross-genre appeal and pure ability.

the judges are even at this point, not at all concerned with impartiality – he's the clear front runner at this point.

April 27, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Marianne D

James is in it to win it...and he should! He brings it every single week...and he can do so many types of music...he is wonderful!

April 27, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Topher

James is in my top 3!! He is def. in it to win it!

April 27, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Lori

I hope you set the TiVo Lisa!

April 27, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Lori, unfortunately DVRing won't help because they interrupted live.

April 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lori

Two Words: You Tube. :) A must see performance by James.

April 27, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Erinn

LIsa, it's too bad your weather man talked through James. He kind of just had an Idol moment.

April 27, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Erinn I am so bummed!

April 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

erinn – have to say that 'He kind of just had an Idol moment.' is exactly what i'm thinking and a perfectly concise summation of his performance.

April 27, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

and lisa – you oughta youtube or otherwise find james' performance, and post an update. because this live blog has a glaring hole in it otherwise, because james brought it and might have just locked this down in my opinion :-)

April 27, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • lana

It sad the the mideast is having so many tornandos. Yes, James Durbin had an IDOL Moment. The entire audience was simply mezmorized with his performance. He dedicated the song to his fiance Heidi, I just hope she keeps it real with him regardless if he wins or doesn't win. Radar online always post the best performance of the evening.

April 28, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

Those tornado warnings possibly saved some lives, for goodness sake. If you want to hear the performances download them on itunes or try to see if you can find them online. I know you blog about it for everyone but these were devastating storms that had killed a lot of people befoer it got to your area...

April 30, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  42. bonniegirl

God, I LOVE James! He's the one I sit here waiting for on performance night. Totally agree with Randy, that he could win this thing.

April 27, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Expect James to be in the finals. He's never had a bad week and no doubt the best talent on stage.

April 27, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bookenz

I hope James wins. He was amazing last night.

April 28, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • debbie

Totally agree – James should win – HANDS DOWN. I was originally/initially rooting for Casey and Pia, but James is just TOTALLY AWESOME/AMAZING

April 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Topher

Can Haley and Casey sing together more...I love when they sing together!

April 27, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Curt Mudjun

She's been around for a while..I remember listening to her on an 8 track years ago on a stage coach.

April 27, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Topher

Erinn, I agree. He can go now! He has a voice "sort-of" but I just do not like his personality.

April 27, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Erinn

Oh Jacob. You can go now.

April 27, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |