Michael Douglas: Catherine Zeta-Jones is doing 'great'
April 26th, 2011

Michael Douglas: Catherine Zeta-Jones is doing 'great'

Catherine Zeta-Jones has been helping husband Michael Douglas shoulder a lot within the past year, not the least of which being his battle to beat stage 4 throat cancer, the Oscar-winning actor told Oprah Winfrey on her show Tuesday.

But a few months after Douglas revealed that he'd won his fight with cancer, Zeta-Jones came forward and confirmed that she'd sought treatment for bipolar II disorder. Her rep told CNN in a statement, “After dealing with the stress of the past year, Catherine made the decision to check into a mental health facility for a brief stay to treat her bipolar II disorder."

Indeed, dealing with a health problem of that magnitude is "very hard [on] the spouse," Douglas told Winfrey. And on top of that, he went on, "My son’s in federal prison, my ex-wife is suing me...it’s kind of hard for the wife to say that she’s depressed."

According to the Mayo Clinic, bipolar II disorder is less severe than bipolar I disorder, and causes irritability and mood swings occurring as often as several times a day, or as seldom as a few times a year. Douglas told Winfrey that he wasn't aware of what his wife was struggling with.

Just as Douglas approached his cancer treatment with a "take care of business" attitude, not wanting "a lot of fuss and attention," he says Zeta-Jones reacted similarly. "She’s Welsh," he explained. "The Welsh, it’s all stiff upper lip and not letting your feelings show."

Nonetheless, the reality was that Douglas was diving head first into treatment. "That probably played a big part of it," he said. "She’s gotta be stoic and deal with all this stuff I’m going through." Now that he's cancer-free - the actor recently went for a check-up and was in the clear - she's been able to "relax," he said.

The 66-year-old star added that he's proud of his wife, who's doing well. "She’s great, she’s shooting a movie down in Louisiana, and I think she’s relieved that she has a better understanding [of bipolar II]," Douglas said.

In light of the issues his family has faced, Douglas added that he's moving on from the experience a changed man.

"I know that I’m much, much closer to my friends and family," he said, choking up a bit. "I have a much deeper appreciation of family and friends."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. cat food

You can definitely see your expertise within the work you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. All the time go after your heart.

February 1, 2013 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. Paulina

strange that you are the only person so far gtinetg this bug? perhaps you have two catablog folders in your plugins folder or you have declared a function somewhere in your theme or in one of your other plugins that has the same name. could you try activating the plugin with the twentyten theme enabled and no other plugins activated and see if it works. thanks.

March 17, 2012 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. forwardblue

Half of the battle is for people to supporrt me, "I know that I’m much, much closer to my friends and family," he said, choking up a bit. "I have a much deeper appreciation of family and friends.we shall see, Great article. w nede fot motr posotivr

May 3, 2011 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. Takin a Deuce

Douglas doesnt wear underpants or pants any longer. He just walks around crappin where ever and whenever. All over himself, the floor, chairs, stairways...just any ole place.

April 27, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. Karen

God Bless You Both and your families.

April 27, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bless You Both

God Bless You Both and your families.

April 27, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. sureUare

She is so freakin hot!

April 27, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. EddieB

A power couple doing amazing things. I hope she recovers quickly and has enough strength to endure the road ahead, she is quite a lady.

April 27, 2011 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bill & Ted

oops, wrong blog again. see ya!

April 26, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Linda Barr Lods

Michael and Zeta Jones : Don't let all the negative ugly things some (....) ones say. I can't write how I really feel . So i have to keep my mouth clean. Trust me ,that is hard for me. Michael I kept up with all the updates of your Caner, the reports of you visting your son. He will come out a better person. My heart goes out to you for all grief that caused you. God Bless him. I am looking forward to read of his release. I know it will a joyous day. I am so happy to hear your now cancer free. I have followed your and Zeta Jones career. Your lovely wife I'm proud she sought treatment. Good for her. There are SO MANY people who suffer and never seek treatment. Someone I love suffers with this and won't seek treatment. I hope and pray one day they will. I wish you and Michael the best. I think your awesome couple. May God Bles and watch over all your family.
    I

April 26, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jim hull

bravo&brava to both.

April 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Karen

My God, who lets their children go on line and say such things. Ooh, these weren't children. My apologies to any children I may have offended. I most humbly apologize. The comments were so juvenile...

April 26, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. anna

It amazes me that Michael Douglas has done so well when he is supposed to have had stage 4 cancer.
    The worst you can get and not supposed to be curable.

Yes he looked really ill, but didnt lose his hair and now he says the cancer is gone.
    Was it really stage 4????

April 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Richard Daly

Blame the old farts for giving birth to a nation of Droids

April 26, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Evel Knievel

She wouldnt have these problems if she hadn't married her grandfather.

April 26, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

you know your an idiot. Michael douglas is an awesome actor and person. People fall in love all the time and doesnt matter on age, race, etc. You need to grow up and keep your rude comments to yourself. I cant say this enough you are a freaking idiot.

April 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Super Joe Einhorn

And the way u jump motorbikes its a wonder you lived to be a grandfather...You name should be Evel Crash Knievel.

April 27, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  16. twisted

That's good to hear good for her

April 26, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Cullen

I can't quite believe the heartless crap that some of the above people are capable of writing and I can only conclude that they are jealous of the enormous success of CZL & MD. Cancer treatment as I know from personal experience is the most gruelling and painful thing imaginable and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. And with all the painful things going on in their private life it is no wonder CZJ nearly cracked up. Get a life of your own and stop viciously criticising people.

April 26, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sue

YEAH ! THAT IS THE SAME THING I WAS THINKING !

April 26, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Approaching Uranus

Douglas is so out of it he sits around writing love notes on the wall using his own butt muffins.

April 27, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  19. Eva Gabor

Well Dahling behaving like the mindless w h o r e that I am always works for me. Yes Dahling, I love the goobuhz

April 26, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |