'American Idol' ratings are up this season
April 25th, 2011

'American Idol' ratings are up this season

There have been lots of changes for "American Idol" during its 10th season, including the show's ratings.

The New York Times reports that on average, ratings for the show have been averaging 25 million viewers, which is up one percent over where the competition show was last year.

"Idol" also has a 79 percent higher rating among 18-to- 49-year-old viewers than its closest competitor, the ABC comedy “Modern Family.”The trend so far is a reversal in the numbers game, as the show had been losing audience share since it peaked in 2006 with close to 36 million viewers tuning in to the season finale, according to Nielsen data.

One person who has been heralded for the show's uptick this year may be sticking around.

"Idol" judge Jennifer Lopez recently told E! News (and "Idol") host Ryan Seacrest that she is open to returning next year.

"Of course, of course," Lopez said. "Here's what the great thing about this moment [is] for me. There's tons of possibilities, and I'm open to whatever God has in store for me down the line. And whatever it is, I'm going to do my best."

1. ThinkDude

would not "stick it out" anymore for that one that's for sure...

June 16, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. David Band Sarasota

The show needs a great amount of work and help.

April 26, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. IDOL IS THE BEST SHOW EVER

April 26, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Rathode

Sir Namaste From Devsingh Gurung, Farnborough UK. It is not best time to comment. I know it is too late. Anyway thank you. It is alwyas nice to hear from such a respected known person. As a Ghandruke I feel shame that you(Respected Sir) represent the voice of Ghandruk instead of genuine Ghandruke person. I offer many thanks behalf of all oversea's Ghandruke. At last extent our warm regards to Dharmashila madam and all family. Devsingh Gurung( Gahira Gaun,8) Farnborough(U.K)

June 16, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • just laugh at her.

June 16, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • ewhzso

8APLau thbxctglqvlt

June 16, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • ooasoyafpsu

pSsrVe ncxfsfzndxox

June 19, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michelle

J-Lo is not a factor in my watching this show. I only watch it for the excellent singing talent this year and Steven Tyler's antics. I actually am bored with it most of the time and only watch on Thursdays, when I do at all. Simon's new American version of the X-factor is gonna suck away much of the ratings, there is just going to be "talent show" fatigue. I really hate when networks just run a good thing into the ground with copycats over the success of one show.

April 26, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Marjorei Mezvinsky

I think the show is really really unique and top level.

April 25, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sunshine Girl *

The thing is, is no one judge makes the show. They all have equal bearing, and come together as a group, work together and enhance each other. Theyve managed to pick excellent contestants this time around. Based solely on their singing abilities. Whereas when Simon was on the show, he always had to be the center of attention. He acted like HE made the show what it was. Just plain self centered, thats all. Im really glad hes gone. Hell probably ruin X Factor as well. I say keep these 3. And ROCK ON AI!

April 25, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dot

Yawn. This show has run its course. The contestants can't measure up to last season. No one has the whole package. Sounds like a talent show in high school.

April 25, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Peace

@ Rick-lmao over the trump comment! Good 1 !!! @ Tubular Chuck-you are so right about Pia, I agree 100% !!!

April 25, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. twisted

SUCKS! CANT BELIVE THIS CRAP SHOW STILL ON TV. DUMBA$$ES!

April 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sunshine Girl *

These 3 judges are way better than any other season. And Ive watched all the others. Simon was just an egotistical/arrogant blowhard who appeared to want to hurt peoples feelings. Theres a difference between critisism and outright rudeness. Maybe the judges are a little soft but thats ok. They are still good. Plus the talent this season is great! Way better than seasons past. I imagine AI will have a very long life span.

April 25, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Coco2

This is the absolute best year for Idol. And you know why? Jennifer Lopez, Steven Tyler and Randy Jackson. These are judges who have compassion, who don't have to beat someone down like that Simon did whenever he had a chance only to make himself feel better. Destroying someone's dream is the epitome of selfish and arrogant. I love it every time I see one of the former Idols making it big in the industry, and I'm sure they are too–they don't have to pay big bucks to Simon. Guess what Simon? You're LOSING!

I'd be very disappointed if both Jennifer and Steven don't come back. They've given this show a facelift–chosen outstanding candidates who can really sing, and this year, I will buy tickets to see the top ten on tour.

April 25, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CIndy

April 25, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. crazychurchee

Be warned! The bible has warned that when people turn back to worshipping idols, the end is near. This show is called American Idol and is represented by a large, golden idol of a man. Doesn't anyone see what's happening? I'm going to Walmart to get something nice to wear for the rapture.

April 25, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Terre

The only way to treat this nonsense is to go to Vote for the worst , that is the only way to make this fun.

votefortheworstDOTcom

April 25, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. A

Steven Tyler gives a great amount of comic relief. At this point, it would be wise for J-Lo to give more constructive and honest criticism, rather than sugarcoat all of her comments. If she did, she would earn a lot more points from the public.

April 25, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  16. J. Glenn

The show is better than last year and the judges are a big reason. On the other hand, the voting really sucks. I lost interest when Pia was voted off by the idiot public. She was good enough to be a finalist. The real test should be, would you pay to see this person perform of buy their music, not how white one's teeth are?

April 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tubular Chuck

Truth is, Pia was very talented... but also jaw-droppingly boring.

April 25, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Butter Pecan

Nobody could be worse than Kara Dioguardi. That's for sure. I like the Randy, Jennifer and Steven combo. I do miss Simon though. Can't wait to check out the X-Factor.

April 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  18. LoJenkins

April 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jeff

Like to show – though I am getting a little tired of everyone being "GREAT!"...seems like the judges are afraid to be critical – for fear of swaying the voite.

April 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. JIm Defranco

I think J Lo is ok. She is like the president. OK. Plus not nearly as bad as I thought they would be. I am pleasantlyu soupprised !

April 25, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  21. MS

oh god make it stop make it end already.

April 25, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • DV

Or...watch something else so us fans can still enjoy it.

April 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • janetlaw

"Reality" my a** – they lost all credility and my viewing when they kicked off Jennifer Hudson years ago, and I have been happy NOT to go back. If I want to listen to bad poppy renditions of rock, country, etc I will tune into my local bad radio station – but since I don't, I will keep my eyes glued to ANYTHING opposite this charade (like the brilliant Modern Family).

April 25, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mike2012

one name ..Casey Abrams..........

April 25, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • rustysrage

Somehow I doubt you even knew Modern Family was opposite AI until you read it above! Your a fan – go ahead and admit it!!

April 26, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  23. JKK

For me the show is worse, they love everyone even when they suck. The producer part is boooorrrring – yawn I do not know that person or care to. Bring back the celebs helping.
    Actually I stopped watching and a lot of people I have talked to have also – so I do not know where they are getting the numbers.

April 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • suesark

Could it be that you and your "lot of people" do not number in the millions of people who actually ARE enjoying the show this year? It has been a phenomenal year with the best talent ever. JLo and Tyler have brought a much-needed freshness to the show. You really should stick with it...but too late!

April 25, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nodack

The new combo is much better than the old combo. Steven is a rock Legend and funny guy. J-Lo is honest, constructive, nice and HOT! Dog is kinder and gentler this year without the negative Simon influence.

I don't miss Simon at all. People like his honesty. I thougt he was extremely rude at times. Criticism is one thing, but you don't have to belittle people the way he does. That is so uncool unless you are in boot camp in the military.

April 25, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  24. cp

J-Lo is good on Idol and a welcome breath of fresh air from flighty Abdul but I watch it because of Steven Tyler. I haven't watched for about 5 years but Steven "makes" Idol now.

April 25, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Tyler is a great rock vocalist and I like the guy but I am seriously getting tired of every one of his comments being more or less the same. He has nothing constructive to say EVER. C'mon Steven you have a lot to offer the contestants so let's see it! They will learn a lot more from a small criticism than all the "that was beautifuls" in the world.

April 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • mish510

Agreed....(again)......I LOVE Steven.......J-Lo is cool too but she doesnt make that much a difference.....shes not as interesting as Steven....and I am lovin Randy....he's the new Simon BUT he's not an @sshole to contestants for no reason his constructive critisism is right on and the contestants cant do anything but learn from what he's telling them.... collectively we've got a great set of judges....that other chick that replaced Paula...DiGuardio had to go she annoyed me like no other.....but yes great judges.....great talent......GREAT JOB!!!!!

April 25, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Jazz

Well the show is better this year than the last 5 years. The contestants are more talented vocalist. I think im falling back in love with the show.

April 25, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • mish510

Agreed. I was a fan when the show first started and for a couple years...but its been a lonnnnnng time since I watched the show consistently week to week starting with auditions up until this point....I dvr for the nights I wont be home but the talent is WAY up from years past.....I'm actually going to buy tickets to see the American Idol Tour when all is said and done.....so its not the judges its the talent really..... :)

April 25, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. portalpunk

Its fixed.

April 25, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  27. U.S. Immigration and Customs

So.....not only does Oprah think shes God but J-Lo thinks shes the Saviour ?????

I say deport them both!!

April 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reply to the idiot above me

Actually, your descendants were also immigrants. The only people who have a right to be considered the original settlers of the land are the Native Americans. I say if you deport those two we should deport you as well.

April 25, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Tell us where you came up with that conclusion (U.S.) that Oprah thinks she's God and J-Lo thinks she's the Saviour.

April 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Huh? You paranoid, delusional people are scary. BTW, Oprah is a U.S. citizen (at least 6th generation since she is the great, great, great, great granddaughter of african slaves). Jo-Lo is also a U.S. citizen (was born and raised in The Bronx, NY).

April 25, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trust Me

Why don't you head out and see if you can find a place, to deport them too. We'll let ya back in, I promise........

April 25, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Deport Americans? Hmmm. Bet you just can't wait to vote for Trump.

April 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coco2

You're an idiot! She can't be too bad if she's making millions. Start making the kind of money these two ladies are, then you get to talk about deportation–only it should be you.

April 25, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Sharp

I would say you are an idiot, but it is self evident. I actually watch this show. She does a fairly good job much to my surprise.
      Please keep your racist comments to yourself or at least share them with the other members of your Klu Klux Klan organization. They will appreciate them I am sure.
      But they have no place in a civilized conversation.

April 26, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |