LeAnn Rimes on country music's double standard
April 22nd, 2011

LeAnn Rimes on country music's double standard

Two years after cheating on ex-husband Dean Sheremet with actor Eddie Cibrian, LeAnn Rimes is speaking out about her affair.

"I know I didn't do it the right way," Rimes, who fell for married co-star Cibrian while making the TV movie "Northern Lights," says in the upcoming Great American Country channel special "Backstory: LeAnn Rimes."

"I didn't have the tools to know how to do it the right way, how to let go the right way. I'd never been taught that," explains Rimes, who split from Sheremet in 2009 and is now engaged to Cibrian.

"I have the strength [now] but I didn't at the time," she says. "So, it got really messy, but I have learned a lot from that. And I'm not glad it happened, but I know why it did."

While the singer owns up to her indiscretions, she also says the country music industry has a double standard when it comes to cheatin' hearts.

"You know, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash and all these guys. God knows what they did back in the day," she says. "And if a woman did it, you never were accepted or forgiven. But if it was a guy, it was just their life… It's quite interesting to have to navigate those waters as a woman in this business."

"Backstory: LeAnn Rimes" airs Sunday on the Great American Country channel.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music • television

1. Countrywoman

"It's quite interesting to have to navigate the waters as a woman in the business?" Leann – you are saying it is acceptable for men to cheat these days, but not women? When did it happen that it's acceptable for men to cheat? What a lame coverup to make it "acceptable" for you. Great voice – but you shoulda kept your vows to Dean. You lost my interest and respect – I'm not buying any more of your cd's or twisted coverups.

April 25, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Yenta Orleans

I am a Really Big fan of hers and Love her Music.

April 25, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. Marjorie Mezvinsky

She is a Wonderful Singer and Performer.

April 25, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. The Real @N

may people please stop hackin my account!!!!i get it im terrible!!!& for ur info im a female!!!nota male!!!!not both!!!can u stop usin my name or hackin!!!at first i ignored it then it gone too far!!!!!

April 24, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lol

Lol..oh oh .. b lo me is not going to like that you are hitting on his girl. Sunshine is his girl so you best be stepping back..lol.

April 24, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sixstring4

She could go a loooooot farther than just "there's a double standard." The music industry (especially in Nashville) is nightmarishly dysfunctional.

April 24, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. i rock

@ Sunshine girl*....you sound fun ;)

April 24, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BB

I love this country because we can all have our opinions and offer our two cents. So here goes mine. More than half of all marriages have been subject to some form of infidelity. Unfortunately, these two people are in the public eye and will be scrutinized by all. It is something that they sign up for when they head toward the spotlight, so no pitty for them. I really have no problem with them finding happiness with one another. They are not the first in Hollywood to cheat and they won't be the last. I wish them all the best, because whether you are famous or not love and relationships are tough.

April 24, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. fernace

People love to be "holier-than-thou's"!! The fact is TWO people were involved in the making of this affair, why is all the heat coming down on LeAnne? The fact is there's a reason the cliche' "all is fair in love & war" has withstood the ages, because these things happen Every Day, all over the world!! Hollywood & showbiz are especially ripe for the Musical Mates or Roundtable Hookups.So now Country has their own "Brad & Angie", can you handle it? If not let it go, but dont be a hypocrite! Next time it could happen to you!

April 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Suzanne

Unless you're as pure as snow, do not throw stones, she's happy, he's happy life goes on. Good for her and him. Like her, she sings so well....

and god loves all and forgives all. Amen

April 24, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. Burn_N_Hell_LeAnn

The fact that she is still discussing this personal matter in an interview shows how self-involved she remains. I'm sure her Ex really appreciates that fact that she keeps using this to stay relevant in the media. Her twisted & desperate attempt to save her already fallen career by re-hashing the details is pathetic. If she wants to apologize for what happened, communicate it directly to your Ex, not to Mark Marino (CNN) you heartless B.

April 24, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jan

She needs to look no further than the reflection in her mirror to find someone to blame for her actions.

April 24, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. Shut The Front Door!

you can use garth brooks as an example. he admitted to cheating on his 1st wife in the early days while on the road. and he & trisha may not admidt to cheating, they both admidted to loving each other since back when she was his back-up singer. thats how she got her career, he helped her. when they finally got married his 1st wife said it was about time, cause she knew it had been going on for years... that to me is waaaay worse cause it tormented her for years.

April 24, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. Erika

The difference between them & other couples who got together while still married to other people is that they weren't discreet. In fact, they were the exact opposite; seeking media attention & never shutting up about their indiscretions. They continue to be this way (especially her)!! They displayed a total lack of compassion for the people whose lives they were ripping apart. This is what makes them so unlikeable now!!!

April 24, 2011 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. @N

who thinks im a dude & who thinks im a dudette?(male or female)?

April 23, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. DooDoo Crackhead

DooDooCrackhead@gmail.com is owned by Mr.DooDoo Crackead!!!Feel the wrath of my doodoo b!otch!!!

April 23, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. @N

@head diva maybe u drink so much u forget ur g@y!!

April 23, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sunshine Girl *

@Head Diva..How are you getting a signal in the woods? Well I hate to break your heart but Im on a cell phone and not a computer. So no web cam sweetie. Youll have to use your imagination. But that shouldnt be too hard for you seeings youve got your jugs of wine. {Smiles.} Oh yeah..you be nice to B lo me. Hes my friend and I like him. MA? Thats pretty far from here.

April 23, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  19. rrrlas

all these haters and mostly from females. I am very glad that I know noe of you, but I think Leann isj ust fine

April 23, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Ray Jay

dey is a bunch o freaky white folks in dis here blog. DAMN! y'all is sho nuff some certified super freaks! especially blo me and head diva. y'all musta xcaped from de loony bin!

April 23, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Head Diva In Charge

@sunshine girl..lol. you follow b lo me lead. So you are saying you are not a leader. You are a follower and do what people do. Is b lo me is your puppet master? lol @N get a life no body was talking to you you attention w h0/r/e. oh sunshine I live some where in the woods of MA. i live in a shack and but i have a web cam..tee hee. me, you and b lo me cand do it on the web cam since we are spread out all over the place. I can drink my jugs of wine while I watch u two do your thang..tee hee

April 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sunless

see this http://www.SUPEROSNIC.US.COM

April 23, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. @N

@ CR u get a life brat!!!!

April 23, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  24. jillmarie

LeAnn does have a point about the double standards. She knows what she did was wrong and is admitting it. It seems she is even on friendly terms with Brandi. Hopefully, her music can be put out there again, because that's her true talent! That's what she should be known for. And they are engaged, so it wasn't for naught- they were following their hearts. I'm not saying cheating is right ( ITS WRONG) but why should she be blacklisted?

April 23, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  25. JAY RAY

120 pounds is trim no matter how tall a person is. that is super great ! : )

April 23, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  26. JAY RAY

i wsih i was tall so i could be skinny ! that would rule ! hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend.

April 23, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  27. @N

for example i weigh 120 (& losing).my height is '5'6' or '5'7.& i aint fat!!!!!

April 23, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  28. @N

@head diva everyone knows ur a fake because there is no link to dat stupid blog!!!!!and sunshine girl* is tall so she could be skinny!!!

April 23, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  29. CR

You guys are so right to judge her. After all, no one else has ever done anything like that in the history of the world. It's so shocking!
    Seriously, get a life already.

April 23, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  30. Snshine Girl *

@Head Diva.. no not fat. 5'5 and 135 lbs. Cute yes. Wild Red. Definately. No didnt mean to offend B lo me. He said it 1st. I just followed his lead. Yes hes my friend. I love yall. Its so crazy.

April 23, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  31. LEANNdisappoints

I am disgusted by LeAnn. Not only does she break up a family, but she appears to be interfering with the relatoinship the boys have with their mother, which is inexcuseable. She is causing long term damage to these children for her own ego. No one feels sorry for your LeAnn.

April 23, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  32. SKY

FACT: SHE DROPS THE BOMB- MAYBE SHE IS SORRY
    SHE SOUND LIKE SHE IS UNHAPPY- COULD IT BE THAT SHE UNDERSTANDS
    THE GRASS IS NOT GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE.....PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS.....
    SOMETIMES WE HAVE TO ASK OURSELVES, IS IT WORTH IT?
    SHAME AND GUILT TO LIVE WITH.....CHOOSE PEACE PEOPLE
    PEACE....

April 23, 2011 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  33. Head Diva In Charge

Woo wee cute meaning fat cute and you are saying b lo me is gay? ahh you are not a nice friend

April 23, 2011 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  34. Sunshine Girl *

@Head Diva..I live in Texas. B lo me lives in Tennessee. And you live where? Oh boy! This ought to be mighty interesting. Ha Ha..I love it. You guys are hilarious.

April 23, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  35. Sunshine Girl *

@Head Diva...I may be dumb but Im not stupid! LOL..And where would I fit in? Theres no room for a cute red head girl between 2 g@y men. You are funny. [Smiles!] And yes! I got it from the very 1st. Oh..If anything Ive said is wrong please correct me ok? Thats for both Head Diva and B lo me. Dont want to accidentally offend anyone. Have fun!

April 23, 2011 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  36. Bryn

Nah–can't use Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood or Vince Gill and Amy Grant...both couples had split with their spouses before they took up with each other...sure, there was attraction, but by all accounts, no acting on it until all were separated.
    LR and EC were caught at a hotel together in Newport while married and living with their respective spouses and STILL denied it...then admitted it later. Ever noticw how he says NOTHING and she can't SHUT UP??? Seems like he is feeling pretty confident that she will be around, but she is not so confident....

April 23, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  37. Head Diva In Charge

@b lo me do you think that sunshine girl know that your name "b low me" really means "blow me" or is she that stupid to not have picked it up? lol

April 23, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  38. @N

April 22, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  39. B lo me

that is, if you want to

April 22, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  40. B lo me

Head Diva: Blow me!

April 22, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Bobbi

Say what you want, but think about this-I'm not a religious person, but I'm outraged that I just saw an adulterer on CBS in a show to honor (of all things) female country artists singing(get this) Jesus Take The Wheel. He has never even appeared to be anything but proud of what he did. Shame, shame, shame.

April 22, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Head Diva In Charge

You all need to s t f u! So big deal she stole someone's husband. If they met and fell in love who the h ell are we to say anything?

April 22, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jane

She could also use Vince Gill and Amy Grant as examples. Still doesn't make it right.

April 22, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bobbi

These two will no doubt raise their children to think it's o.k. to sleep around even if they're married. What religion do they belong to. I surely don't want any part of that religion(they claim to believe in God--HA!)

April 22, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Heavenly Hera

Shes not the only bad one in this situation. He was married too when they met. He left his wife fo LeAnne, just like she left her husband for him. Both are a bunch of cheating tramps if you ask me. Shes a ho e. Hes a he-ho e.

April 22, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Sunshine Girl *

They are only engaged right now. If it makes it to the actual marriage, how long do you think itll last? Ill tell you. Only long enough for the next good looking man/woman to come along and show some interest. Then either one will be left behind, just like they left their previous spouses behind. History repeats itself and Karma bites hard.

April 22, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Songwriter

But she got at least 2 albums' worth of material! No better country song than a cheatin' song!

April 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  47. luvhervoice

I'm guessing what she actually meant was..... she did not know how to tell her husband she had fallen for another man.

April 22, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Terri King

I didn't know one needed a special "tool" to cheat and make a mess of your marriage....I thought it just made you one.

April 22, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Amber

Everything seems wonderful now b/c they are engaged. We will see who cheats on who first after the marriage "settles" in. Relationships that originate from lies and deception do not work.

April 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadCityBabe

@Amber – you are so right.............................it will be interesting to see how she reacts when his cheating starts

April 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • I know dat's right

Amber, 100% agree!

April 22, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Ann

She should have used Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood as an example....

April 22, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • sasha

I don't think she can use them. Because in that case both of them should have been crucified but they both still have careers. i think at this point she is looking for anything or anyone else to blame. Either way the relationship does not appear healthy. Soon as she hooked up with dimples her body fat disappeared and then the cement showed up and now she as a fake chest as well. The only thing that appears real in that relationship are the bitter dual divorces

April 23, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Nate

Funny that she has to use examples from 30-40 years ago (with nothing concrete)...as she has no contemporary artists male or female to compare to. The closest thing to a cheating contemporary country artist would be Mutt Lange (Shania's ex and songwriter/producer)..and he got what was coming to him and will not be accepted in Nashville again. Leann, grow up.

April 22, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Madd Crapper

I want to turn her blond hair brown by giving her one of my patented Doo Doo Shampoo treatments.

April 25, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  52. be quiet

"I didn't have the tools to know how to do it the right way. I'd never been taught that".

So, people have to be "taught" to not be a cheating wh0re?

April 22, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |