Bye-bye to one of 'Idol's' Top 7
April 21st, 2011

Bye-bye to one of 'Idol's' Top 7

SPOILER ALERT – Tonight's "Idol" blog will reveal who is leaving the competition, so please don't read if you don't want to know.

8:59 p.m. – James hasn't stopped crying, and there's a great moment when he runs out and lifts his buddy up off of his feet before giving him a bear hug.

We will miss you, too, Stefano.8:56 p.m. - Poor Jennifer, she is losing her Boo.

But Stefano was a wild-card pick, and he can hold his head high having made it this far. He says the show started his career, and you can't put a price on that. He feels blessed and is excited to sing Stevie Wonder's "Lately."

This kid is a class act, and he will be just fine. Well done, Stefano!

8:55 p.m. – And the person going home tonight is ...

Stefano!

Jacob is safe, and James is inconsolable.

8:53 p.m. – J-Lo says it's not the end of the road for whoever goes home, and I agree.

8:49 p.m. – Backstage with Jacob and Stefano. They both seem to be at peace with the fact that either one could be going home.

8:48 p.m. –  Kanye slays me with the fur vest. For reals. Loved the light show, but no Seacrest chat with Katy and Kanye. That makes me sad.

8:47 p.m. –  Wait! I spoke too soon! Kanye IS there!

8:45 p.m. - So Kanye is not there to perform "ET" with Katy Perry. She looks ... interesting. Like a cute "Star Trek" chick.

8:40 p.m. – I was about to make a crack about Haley winning the award for most consecutive times in the bottom three, but she is barely there before Seacrest whispers in her ear that she is safe.

So our bottom two are Jacob and Stefano.

This might be interesting.

8:38 p.m. – We are wasting no time tonight, and Scotty and Haley vie for the last seat in the bottom three.

And the person in the bottom three is ... Haley!

Scotty is safe.

8:36 p.m. – Time for some more results.

Next up are Lauren, James and Stefano. James heard from Muse's lead singer, who loved his performance.

Off to the bottom three seat is....

Stefano. Lauren and James are safe!

8:33 p.m. – The Idol gang took in a Dodgers game and got their groove on for the Dancecam.

Lauren gave baseball's Tommy Lasorda a big old hug.

Next up they took in some bowling and Casey has got some crazy foot work before she bowls. Then it is off to the spa for some pampering. Loved seeing Scotty in a facial mask!

8:27 p.m. – David Cook's mom, Beth, is in the audience and she's all about meeting Steven Tyler who gives her a big hug.

Mommy's got a crush, I'm thinking.

8:23 p.m. – David Cook, how I have missed you.

He sings his new single, "Last Goodbye." I would love to see him, and Chris Daughtry do a song together.

That would be all types of awesomeness.

8:17 p.m. – Scotty has a cupcake named after him in North Carolina.

Cute.

And a fan painted a portrait of Casey. Awwwww.

First up are Casey and Jacob.  Casey and his soft lips are through!

As for Jacob, after a nationwide vote, he is in the bottom three.

8:11 p.m. – Poor little Lauren.

She's sitting on the couch and can't stop her leg from swinging in nervousness.

Scotty, Casey and James sing Coldplay's "Viva La Vida." Nice to see Scotty delve into a genre other than country. The three of them were looking a little boy band-ish.

8:03 p.m. – More than 52 million votes last night, according to Seacrest.

Katy Perry and David Cook are performing tonight. That should be interesting.

Jennifer says Marc Anthony thought the kiss Casey gave her last night was a cute moment. She also reiterates that she hopes a girl doesn't go home tonight.

Meanwhile, Ryan asks Steven Tyler if he is going to behave himself tonight, referring to the dropping of the F-bomb last night.

That didn't disturb me as much as the contestants singing Train's "Hey Soul Sister" tonight. Can we please retire that song?

8 p.m. – I just got off the phone with Mom, who has been 100% with her predictions so far. She says Stefano, Scotty and Jacob in the bottom three.

The show just started so let's see if she is correct.

1. Jared Eleam

I always love watching american idol because the contestants are very talented. ',`**

Please do take a look at our favorite website

October 10, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. robert

With technology today music is much more about performance,image,personality, and originality than it is about raw vocal talent. Sound boards and mixers and all that other stuff can make even the worst singer sound good. Kim Kardashian even put out a single and is making a ton of money off if it. Its not like it used to be when you actually had to be a good singer to make it.

April 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. robert

Paying people to vote for casey? Seriously? Why would somebody expend that kind of money? This show is not totally about vocals. 50% or more of the most popular and successful artists today cant carry a note if it was strapped to their back. A lot of it is about performance and I don't know about the rest of you but he is one of the ones i look forward to seeing every week and i vote for him so there's at least one vote not being paid for. When he is performing I get lost in the performance. When somebody like pia was singing in was in the kitchen getting a snack. It was almost equivalent to a commercial break because I knew what she was going to do and I thought she was a great singer but i was not interested. You never know what Casey or James are going to do. Its like if you already know the final score to a game are you going to bother watching it? Sure some people will but most people will just move along.

April 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. robert

Stefano went out at just the right time. The only other one that maybe should have been there longer than him was Pia. Hailey is beautiful and can really belt it out. I wonder when she will figure out to sing a Christina Agulara song. They have a lot of similarities in their voices. Lauren sings well but is boring and predictable. same with Scotty. I have been impressed with Jacob but he is getting boring as well and will probably be the next one out unless he really kills it tonight. I watched the voice last night and some of the singers auditioning would blow out any of the American idol singers. I really like the idea behind the show and i hope it does well.

April 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dan

Yes, I too had suspected a paid voting machine for Casey.

April 26, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Real @N

@mimi katy perry is a great singer.

April 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Charlie Rox

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fkvadq4VjA&w=640&h=390]

April 24, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lori

Something does not smell right. Casey has the worst vocals of the final 12 and is still in the running. With music degreed family and one who took the 4 state regionals in vocals we know what we are talking about. Can't seem to find anyone who voted for CASEY. He does not deserve to still be in the running. Stefano had a much better vocals than CASEY. Someone is paying to cast text votes for CASEY. It has nothing to do with vocal talent!

April 22, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. The_Shadow

Votes from the 8-10 year old girls are the only thing keeping Scottie around. If American Idol was on between 9 and 10PM he would have been gone a long time ago because the show wouldn't have started until after the pre-pubescents' bed times. The idiot was asked about how things were in Gardner, NC. Tornados tore apart Raleigh which is just a few miles down the road earlier in the week and he took that opportunity to talk about a cupcake that had been named after him. Go back to bagging groceries you loser!!

April 22, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. GoStefano

Not sure why people say James or Casey is "screeching". Anybody can screech. But they are using their voice to achieve specific notes and they do it perfectly to match the music and its great. Take James doing Judas Priest for instance. When he goes up it's a crazy sound that few people can achieve and its perfectly matched to the music. And when you achieve these great ranges in your voice it can add a dramatic effect to a song.

Too bad about Stefano. He improved as he went along and his swan song was done really well. He deserved to stay.

April 22, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. GoStefano

The contestants get to decide how they do their show. If they want a flaming piano they get a flaming piano. American Idol is here to entertain millions of viewers. They aren't trying to do it on the cheap. It's just a question of the creativity of the contestant and James has proven to be very creative. He's also very entertaining and a great personality.

April 22, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. Diane

OK time for Casey and James to go there screeching on stage will never hold up for the long haul.

April 22, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. Shodan55

I think Scotty has to go, he acts like a weiner on stage. I can't stand his singing, lame, lame, lame. So he has a deep voice, big deal. James is only a screamer, can't hold a candle to Adam Lambert's singing ability. How come James had a visit from Hulk Hogan? How come he got to sing (sorry...scream) with Zak W.??? Name other contestants that have had such attention on stage?? I think the fix is in for James and that's really a shame to the other real "talent".

April 22, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. blue

Scotty sucks.

April 22, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. sputnik

Jacob and Haley should be gone and then casey....scotty has an awesome voice, James is good and Lauren is good..Casey is ok...

April 22, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  16. dogd rule

Stefano shouls have stayed longer than the girls. They both stink. Wish Lauren would lose those cowboy boots. NOT cute! Alfred E. Neumann (Scott) and Screech Owl (Jacob) both need to go next. Please. Scotty is just plain creepy, and Jacob clearlt needs underwear that doesn't squeeze his-–. David Cook IS the ultimate American Idol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The people i just mentioned are not fit to be on the same stage with him!

April 22, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  17. Sunshine Girl *

My cell phone must not show every post like a computer does. I havent read any racist comments yet. [Good Ole Boy & 88 are not showing] Is there a diff between a cell phone/computer? Just curious. I also missed James crying. Mustve gotten distracted then. Glad Stephano left. Wish Haley would go next. Cant stand her. I think James has this contest. Rock on James! AI is my favorite show. Especially love Steven. Hes great and gorgeous! [Been listening to Aerosmith for over 30 yrs] Love the whole show!

April 22, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  18. @lana

What's your point? James needs to sing "born this way", why? You think he would sing it well or are you mocking him for having tourettes? I certainly hope it's because you think he would sing it well !

April 22, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  19. lana

James Durbin should have song "Lady Gaga's", Born This Way"
    James cried because Stefano & him are roommates, and I believe that Stefano & James became really good friends. James has a good heart & cried because he wanted Stefano to suceed.

April 22, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  20. A

It was Stefano's time...A LONG TIME AGO. Paul should have had a chance to stay longer.

James cried? I must not have been paying attention.

April 22, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  21. kitty

I think people are not realizing that no one should underestimate the power of Scotty's fan base. His fans are true country fans so one bad night will not do anything to him. They are not fair weathered fans. They will stick by him to the very end.And Jacob definitely needs to depart next week tho he could pull something off with the Carole King theme.

April 22, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  22. Scott

@Good Ole Boy – Must be easy to be a racist pig behind the anonimity of the internet. You're a blithering moron taking decent people's oxygen. Go DIAF.

April 21, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mrs.Royal

I agree with you about this clown. Add 88 Rules the World to the list of blithering morons!!

April 21, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Kay/Kay/Kay All The Way

OMG! Haleys outfit looked like a crayon box vomited! She shouldve been the one who went home instead of Stephano. Although I dont think Stephano is that good, hes a h*ll of alot better than Haley. I dont see a very bright future in music for Stephano. I hope he has something to fall back on. Watch out Haley! Dont get comfortable b/c your gone next week.

April 21, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  24. The Aryan Way Is The Only Way

I guess the Ex-Lax must not have worked for Jacob. That straining/grunting like he has to use the restroom really,really bad, is whats keeping him in the bottom 3. Maybe its time to try something a little stronger buddy! That may be why he also looks like hes ready to break down sobbing at any minute. B/c he cant go p**p. Boy but when he finally does go....Hes gonna hit a high note like he never imagined he could! If hes not gone next week, hell be back in the bottom 3.

April 21, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Heavenly Hera

What was that mess Haley was wearing? Orange shirt. Green skirt. Yellow shoes. One big mess. Thought for sure she was gonna get the axe, then SURPRIZE! It was Stephano. I knew he was gonna go, but I didnt think it would be this early on. I always found him just hum drum. Nothing really special. Not sure if hell have anything going after this or not. I guess well just have to wait and see. I do know one thing though...J Lo's heart is broken now. Did you see the look on her face when they said his name?

April 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Lori

Love reading the blog Lisa! I watch with my laptop keyed up to read your comments. Thanks! I had the same prediction as your mother. I never thought Haley would be in the bottom three again.

April 21, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Love having you comment Lori! I am not a major Haley fan, but I thought this week she did well enough to escape the bottom three. Guess not.

April 21, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Kim

Happy to hear Stefano went tonight. He is over rated and B-O-R-I-N-G. Love your blog. Love Haley and James 2!

April 21, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  28. BarbP

Hate to see Stefano go – he was growing by leaps and bounds. And can I just say that I love James Durbin? That grab of Stefano at the end was a total emotional moment.

April 21, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Peace

Jacob is gonna go next week. "C-ya" then !

April 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mrs.Royal

Scotty should really go; then Haley; then Lauren; then Casey; then James. Jacob should win the whole thing; however, I think James is gonna win.

April 21, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Laura

Love your blog. I will watch tonight but like to know who is leaving. Thanks for letting everyone know what is happening tonight. I love David Cook !

April 21, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Thanks Laura. David Cook is one of my faves.

April 21, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ike

Stefano.........Good Luck bro

April 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  32. ike

And that means Jacob must start to grow on the show. He comes across as same every week....what do you think?

April 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

ike, I would love to see more growth from ALL of the contestants. It's one of the best things about the show. Watching an artist take shape.

April 21, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  33. ike

It may be Stefano that goes home tonight....

April 21, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  34. lala

good god katy perry was awful....why bother w/ the mic if you're going to lip sync. ugh.

April 21, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Mimi

I dunno about cute. I thought Katy Perry looked like a refuge from TRON.

April 21, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  36. ike

I think Kanye should come and sing all of the lights on Idol sometime....just saying

April 21, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. kitty

Looks like your Mom is not always 100% right!!! Scotty wasnt in the bottom 3!! So?????????????

April 21, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Kitty, I'll be teasing her about underestimating the power of Scotty's fans.

April 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ike

Haley is safe....that means Jacob or Stefano will leave tonight

April 21, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Livinit

No tv tonight, so your comments are all I have. THANKS!!!

April 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Livinit, are you DVRing it at all so you can watch later?

April 21, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Peace

BarbP, I know what ya mean. We were on vaca, couldn't watch being we were on the road. So thanks to Lisa, I just flipped my cell ph open & checked in w/ Lisa! Got the "play by play", it was great!!! Thankful to her! Show's been good so far, too, btw.

April 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  41. BarbP

Agree – Lisa, not only is it good to follow "live" but when I miss an episode, I check your comments. Now, to tonight – I am becoming disappointed with Jacob's outlook. I was an early fan of his, and really thought he was going to take it – that final Hollywood (Vegas?) solo was phenomenal. But, he keeps shooting himself in the foot with his "nothing's my fault" comments – hate to see that.

April 21, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

BarbP, I have heard from other fans that he is wearing on them a bit and they wish he would be more humble. Being called a "diva" probably doesn't help either, don't you think?

April 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Peace

You are so very welcome !

April 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  43. ike

David Cook is so amazing... I hope this album does better than all the previous ones..

April 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erinn

Yea, he is amazing. Sings great, sweet, and funny!!

All around class act!

April 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  44. bonniegirl

Me, too, Lisa! I love your little funny comments, lol.

April 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

It's a lovefest tonight! Thanks bonniegirl!

April 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Peace

Lisa, Love checking in on this site each wed & thurs. Thanks for that! Enjoy the show!! BTW, Lauren looks great tonight!!!

April 21, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |