It was a night of neglect on 'Glee'
April 20th, 2011

It was a night of neglect on 'Glee'

"Glee's" been gone for weeks and I really, really wanted to love this episode.

So much for my desires.

The "Night of Neglect" episode was perfectly named because it seemed to neglect a strong storyline. Mercedes went all diva, Britney, Mike, Artie and Tina felt neglected as academic decathlon members and Will's ex-wife Terri was back on the scene – sort of.

Turns out Mercedes is beyond sick of playing second fiddle to Rachel and started making demands via her new "manager" Lauren. Said demands included a bunch of humidifiers, the need to be carried around and a fluffy puppy to dry her hands on. Please, "Glee" gods, don't make Mercedes unlikeable like you did Rachel earlier.

Back on-again couple Finn and Quinn enlist Rachel's help to reign Mercedes in and I guess everyone is now, for the most part, supposed to be cool with Finn rejecting Rachel for his ex. Count me out of the newfound civility, as I am still rooting for Finn and Rachel to once again make beautiful music together.

Speaking of a couple we want to see back together, Emma is once again free as her hubby (played by hunky John Stamos) wants an annulment since they never consummated the marriage. Of course, that meant Holly had to break up with Will and kick rocks. What?!!? Just like that Gwyneth Paltrow is gone? Me no likey.

Before she left, Paltrow wowed us with two memorable moments. One, she sang Adele's "Turning Tables" at a benefit meant to raise cash for the glee club's trip to finals. The theme of the evening was neglected and underrated singers, and I for one was thrilled that Adele got some "Glee" love.

Secondly, Paltrow poked fun at the hateration often directed her way. In a chat directed at some of the students who were heckling our beloved show choir during the benefit she said, "I get it, we live in a culture of insults. I mean, we are constantly bombarded with these images of people who are richer than us, and happier than us and have more interesting sex than us" to which our favorite Cheerio Becky responded "Preach!"

Well played, Gwynnie. Well played.

Also among the best moments of the show was seeing Kurt and Blaine roaming the halls of  McKinley High (note to the show's writers: we need more of that); the return of Sunshine Corazon to sing Celine Dion's "All By Myself," and Mercedes' amazing performance of the Aretha Franklin tune "Ain't No Way."

But all of those moments were fleeting and only contributed to the uneven feel of the show. Not even Sue's recruitment of Vocal Adrenaline coach Dustin, Sandy the former show choir director ( I howled when Sue asked "Sandy, how do you manage to sneak into a building without setting off all of the fire alarms?") and Will's ex-wife as "The League of Doom" could give me much joy.

Here's hoping that next week's Lady Gaga episode is more fabulous.

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. Marjorie Mezvinsky

We loved the show and hope it continues for many seasons.

April 25, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Meg

The show was really, in my opinion, slow and rough to get through. Normally I laugh like crazy during Glee but I maybe got two laughs out of it. I think the show is really going down hill from it's original self. I really wanted to be wowed by this episode after such a long hiatus but instead I was bored and quite honestly saw almost everything coming. While I'm happy Kurt is coming back I do wish the show would take some of the attention away from "I'm gay and it's hard". I get it. Nothing against gay people. I have gay friends but it's time to wrap up that story line and gather back the fans that they've lost between the long episode breaks and poor writing

April 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sasha

Although the most of the episode was really slow paced, last number blew it away for me. But I love that song "Ain't no way". Only problem I had with the ep is because Ryan Murphy in either a nod to Popular or just run out of ideas stole from the older show which was the acedemic bowl with the running joke of questions easily answered but the seemlngly one difficult one the idiot of the group can answer because she is a savant at it (Josh on Popular knowing everything about chickens, Brittany knowing everything about cat deseases). Other them that...I am just glad it is back on

April 21, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. B lo me

Sucked but that's what g@ys do.

April 20, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. NotoPaltrow

Paltrow sucks, so I'm glad she's gone. Other than Sunshine and Mercedes' performances, the episode was sorely lacking in substance.

April 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brian

Agreed...really not a good showing. Just to nitpick, "All By Myself" was written and originally performed by Eric Carmen so calling it Celine Dion's "All By Myself" is incorrect

April 20, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lala

It was just a so-so show last night, what bothers me most about this episode was where were any parents, family or friends besides Kurt and Blaine. Really, not one parent showed up, the writers kinda blew that one.

April 20, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sean

Last night's episode was NOT a favorite, but it still had it's good moments. I loved Santana and how she stuck up for Kurt and Blaine and told off Karovsky ("I can break one of your nuts. Left or right, that's your choice"). I admit, I was a little worried when I heard that Gwyneth of all people would be covering "Turning Tables" (one of my fav Adele songs), but I was surprised by how decent it was. Kudos! I'm just happy Kurt's returning next week. It's been too long since my favorite character was with the New Directions.

April 20, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. correction

Correction – All By Myself is a song by Eric Carmen from 1975. Celine Dion did a horrible "remake" that even he was horrified by.

April 20, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bill

glee totaly sucked last night, the plot line of the glee club getting no respect is just getting old.

April 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mormon

I think it was a wonderfully gay episode, but then im just talking out of my hat.

April 20, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Evel Knievel

And the fudge packer chronicles continue.

April 20, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Super Joe Einhorn

It high time Glee did an episode with Gay Evel Knievel givin out free hand shandees and BJs after yet ANOTHER unsuccessful jump.

April 20, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. weazy

How dissappointing and bad story telling, to have sunshine just "change her mind" and not show up to sing at benefit. What was that?

April 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

She didn't just change her mind. The Vocal Adrenaline coach forced her to pull out of the concert after learning that she was going to be part of the concert.

April 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. be quiet

this episode sucked. get rid of that she-beast Lauren! she is beyond annoying and a terrible actress.

what kind of storyline was that whole "diva" thing anyway? this is a show about a HIGH SCHOOL glee club and not a professional group, right?

April 20, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cathy

thats what i think too.

April 20, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Pam

Yeah...I really wanted to like this episode but....oh well..... Pretty boring for me which sucks because it was on such a long hiatus.....Also, I agree, I am over the "new" Finn/Quinn relationship....get them off my screen...... and no Rachel singing last night..... makes me sad :(

April 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  17. NIBBLER

I always watch Outer Limits reruns on the Chiller Channel at 8oclock. The Chiller Channel RULES ! l

April 20, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. NIBBLER

WELL ! I can talk about doooooky ! IT SMELLS ! YUCK !

April 20, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  19. steph

I'm glad Paltrow is gone. Maybe I'm the only one over her singing already. She never should've attempted an Adele song, she did it no justice. At least Kurt's back @ McKinley next week.

April 20, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. nice : )

It was a nice episode. (see. . . i am being nice today. . . i am not posting anything mean like. . .it sure makes my post all boring like. . . i cant even talk about dooody or nuthin. . . . .daaaang)

April 20, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. macphe

Mercedes' Aretha cover redeemed the show. My husband is a professional Jazz musician and he was blown away. She gave even Aretha a run for her money. And after all the Rachel solos, this one was the bomb and showed that Amber Riley is equally talented.

April 20, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Mormon

glee > gay

April 20, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Sebastian Van Goober

What did ya expect? This show is on its last 3rd gay leg. DIE GLEE!!

April 20, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. tara

I totally agree! I'm one of the biggest Glee fans ever, but last night was very hoh-um.

April 20, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |