'Idol' Top 7 will keep it current
April 20th, 2011

'Idol' Top 7 will keep it current

The Top 7 on "American Idol" will be performing songs from the 21st century and I am eager. This is the theme which could go really well or really badly.

Why? Because of the two most important words on "Idol": song choice. I can almost guarantee that someone is going to select a song just because they love it and it's not going to go over as well as they hope.Plus, a cover is still just a cover unless it is super-duper amazing, and the more recent the song the harder it will be to erase the memory of the original.

But I am really going to need three of the folks pictured above to start doing some for real judging, and not just telling all of the contestants how wonderful and amazing they are or could be. As we get closer to the final two, I would like to see more growth and the only way that will happen will be with some constructive critisicm.

Do you agree?

1. Frenchie

James is the one to win. It will be between James & Casey. Casey is a sweetheart too

From Nova Scotia

April 21, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  2. Barefoot

Maybe I was reading into it too much, but it seemed like Jacob was being set up to be voted off tomorrow night. I hope he doesn't.

Scotty's performance was pretty lackluster.

Based on PERFORMANCE, James probably had the best performance of the night.

Based on VOCALS, Haley had the best performance of the night. She might have made a fan out of me.

I've been a fan of Casey's. But he definitely has to step it up.

Stefano came up with a pretty unsurprising song choice. He could be the one to go home tomorrow night.

I thought Lauren would have picked a Carrie Underwood song. Maybe it would have been a conflict of interest if she had. Either way, I haven't been a fan of Lauren's, so I don't really have an opinion on her performance tonight.

And Paul's opening performance with the girls was ATROCIOUS, and I've been a fan of his.

April 21, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. T

Good performances tonight.

Judges actually starting to judge as well. Good for a change, but we didn't necessarily agree with them.

Scotty – OK but pretty boring. Not one of his best.
    James – Rocked the house.
    Haley – Wow. Great performance on a difficult song choice given how current and distinctive it is. She really stepped up and I just didn't get where the judges were coming from. She made good choices in where/how she changed the song. We really liked it and thought the judges were off base.
    Jacob – OK, but not his best. Judges feedback was good here about maintaing control.
    Casey – Surprising and entertaining again. Loved it.
    Stefano – Good, but forgettable.
    Lauren – Good, but forgettable.

Top three for the night were James, Haley, and Casey. (First time I'd include Haley in the top 3.)

Who will go home? I have no idea. Stefano? Scotty on a weak night for him?

April 20, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. A

I'm watching the show right now on the West Coast.

I'm a Paul McDonald fan, and was disappointed when he was voted off last week. But, uhh...yeah. 'So What' was the WORST song he could have sung, and was the WORST singing I have ever seen him do. The song should have just been left to the girls, and he should have had a solo performance of a different good.

I'm unhappy that you're gone, but it wasn't good tonight.

April 20, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. B lo me

I love this show! almost as much as my new lavender tap pants. woo hoo!

April 20, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ike

Pearl, we should go to the other blog....Link above

April 20, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ike

James I like you but I did not fully get what you did. I think there are many songs that could have done justice to your voice and character...It was flashy though, a bit distracting and a little too noisy for me... Not sure Not sure...

April 20, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pearl Nelson

I just love James.

April 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ike

Did I say Simon??? Jeez I miss that guy on this show...... I wanted to say Randy..

April 20, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ike

We are off to an OK start from Scotty. He could not sing the very low notes but he had a great connection with the young fans and that may just work in his favor. Simon says he made it safe and I could not agree more...

April 20, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pearl Nelson

John Anderson sang Swingin' first doofus. Rimes did a terrible job.

April 20, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Claudette Lavallie

I love your show! As a Canadian, I find it difficult to vote. The lines are always busy! I wish we could vote on line ,like at& T has that access for the Americans! Thank you!

April 20, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |