Trailer released for 'The Help'
April 19th, 2011

Trailer released for 'The Help'

The subject matter of “The Help” involves a serious topic – racial injustice in the 1960s South - but the newly released trailer for the anticipated film opts for a more humorous approach.

“Easy A” star Emma Stone stars as Eugenia “Skeeter” Phelan, a recent grad returning to her roots in Jackson, Mississippi, when segregation still ruled.

One of its chief proponents is Hilly (Bryce Dallas Howard), who’s seen in the trailer promoting a bill that would require the African-American hired help to use an outdoor restroom rather than the one used by the white families they care for.

And there we have the plot: Skeeter decides to bring the discrimination to light by writing a tell-all book from the point of view of “the Help,” including maids Aibileen, played by Viola Davis, and Minny, portrayed by Octavia Spencer.

The novel of the same name that the movie’s based on has sparked plenty of dialogue, and earlier this year the story even launched a lawsuit against author Kathryn Stockett, a Jackson native who's said that one of the book's characters was inspired by the African-American maid her family employed when she was growing up.

For those who’ve read the book, does the trailer seem to stick to the story? Even if you haven’t picked up the weighty book club favorite, do you want to check out the film?

Filed under: movies • Trailer Park

1. Mel

I read the book, and the few details above do seem to follow it. I thought the book was well-written and accurate. Racism is hard to read sometimes and sadly, still exists in many parts of our country. I just hope the movie does the book justice and doesn't attempt to dilute the true message of the novel.

April 21, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dee

I started reading the book on my Nook for free at Barnes and Noble and it was an okay book. I will return to finish it. I do not understand all of the ignorant comments some of the people posting make regarding topics. You make a fool out of yourself by posting ignorant comments because you are wasting your time talking about something you have a problem with. That makes a lot of sense. For the people with valid and thought posts I enjoy reading your comments and insights. All others please seek professional help as you have deep-rooted issues.

April 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Barrister

Well, in real life, Abileen sued Skeeter for putting her in a false light and defamation. Wonder how that's going?

April 21, 2011 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lisa

It looks like a regular old movie based on a book to me. Seriously, I'm black and I don't see what the big deal is about this trailer. I haven't read the book, but I might after I watch the film. It's better to enjoy the film that way.

April 20, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. reader

To make humor the focus of this movie would do it, black communities, and society in general a dis-service. The book was moving and genuine. I sincerely hope the movie tells the story as cleanly as the book did.

April 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Haley

Well, it's not how I envisioned it as I was reading the book. It does appear that they've made it seem a bit more comical than it was in the book. However, I still think it will resonate with moviegoers who never read the book. What really made the book stand out was the characters of the maids, the central ones each having such a unique personality that the author expertly depicted. From the trailer I think they did a pretty good job of casting them. I'm looking forward to it nonetheless!

April 20, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anne

I agree. It was such a wonderful book. I hope the movie does it justice. Some of the posts on this thread are sad. Nice to see a thoughtful post. Thanks!

April 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Betsy

I agree this was a serious book to me, having seen the things that are depicted in this novel. It may be in the past but reminders of where we came from should not be forgotten because we still are not very far away from all these things. Hope the movie is not to comical

April 21, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mississippian

That was 50 years ago. It's history not the present. People are not treated that way in the South now. Different generation. Do I like it? No. Can I change it? No. Can I try to make it better? Yes.

April 20, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Santa Clauss

our current president don't do xmas. he does Kwanza or some such nonsense.

April 20, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. Dad Clauss (age 99)

We need to help our President now.

April 20, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Nasty Jack Clauss--Texan

Obama is our best President since Truman.

April 20, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. Thomas Dad Clauss

The best Presient we ever had is Black.

April 20, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. Oback Barama

Carp? i love carp, cuz it's a bottom-feeder like me. I'm glad I can use the bathroom in the White House, maybe they don't know I'm bl@ck?

April 20, 2011 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  13. OurPresidentisBlack

Unimaginable for us white people, the absolute amount of carp blacks have had to endure for so many centuries.

April 20, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • joel

Carp? I knew of racial injustice but never knew the threat Carp had on the black community. Is that Koi or river Carp?

April 20, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mormon

It's funny because racial injustice is just damn funny, ask Kunta...

April 19, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. @Superhiro

Yeah ! I always tell my help to get to work and make me some dinner ! Then clean the dang house !

April 19, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. *poooop*

buncha dang redneck trailer traaash

April 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |