'Hangover Part II' monkey is not addicted to cigarettes
April 19th, 2011

'Hangover Part II' monkey is not addicted to cigarettes

That little monkey in "The Hangover Part II" isn't just stirring up trouble on-screen.

Director Todd Phillips has landed in hot water after saying that he got Crystal the capuchin hooked on cigarettes.

“I wanted the monkey to smoke so we had to train her to," he told Total Film Magazine, according to Movieline. "Now I have PETA after me because the monkey's become addicted to cigarettes. She was just shooting Cameron Crowe's movie 'We Bought a Zoo.' And the monkey won't stop smoking."

After alarming animal lovers with his comments, Phillips made it clear that he was kidding.

"If you read the story, it doesn't even make sense. 'On the set of her new film, she won't stop smoking cigarettes.' Umm. Really? Maybe just take them away from her," Phillips told Movieline. "Or at least take her money away so she can't buy them any longer."

Phillips added that he told the story simply to switch things up after being asked the same questions by journalists.

"Obviously, the monkey in the film NEVER smoked a single cigarette. There are people on set whose sole job is to protect that monkey," he said. "Even if I wanted her to smoke it wouldn't be allowed. By the way, she also appears to do cocaine in the movie, but I guarantee you that she didn't do that either (I can't, however, comment on Ken Jeong's cocaine use in the film)."

"The Hangover Part II," starring Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms, and Justin Bartha, opens May 26.

1. T. Felix Clauss

Great story.

April 20, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. Thomas Chowderhead Clauss (age 99)

This is a funny, funny story.

April 20, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. portalpunk

Here is what the monkey thinks of you

April 20, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Bill & Ted

sorry bout the speling.. splling... spelling... dude, we're freakin baked!

April 19, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bill & Ted

we have a monkey that loves to smoke! bong hits only! and don't bring no ditchw€€d! only the good stuff or he gets real mad! his best friend is the dog from 5ude where's my car"!

April 19, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ShadeofPale

Monkeys like to smoke cigs after a nice lunch consisting of fried chicken, watermelon and finished with a refreshing hit from a crack pipe.
    (but I'm not a racist, really)

April 19, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ~

I see monkeys smoking cigs all the time.
    In fact, they prefer Kool Milds.

April 19, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. FRIEND

DONT BE AGGREVATING OUIR SUPERHIRO. THEY ARE OUR FRIEND. Why does everyone have to be such buutttholes on here. Superhiro is a genuine nice person. We enjopy reading their post. Please quit picking at them.

April 19, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. rick

maybe you just dont like me because i am chineese. i dont know anything about monkeys smoking cigarettes. why is this superhiro all picking on me ?

April 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. rick

yeah ! I am a chineese person ! i like everbody !

April 19, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TED

Who is RIck ? Are you talking about Ricky Martin ? I didnt know he was a racist. That is a terrible assertion to make about someone.

April 19, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rod C. Venger

Only in America would liberals write "For Blacks Only" on a pack of menthols and then accuse conservatives of racism.

I'm a 5 decade-old white man. I smoke MENTHOLS. So much for your racism theory, eh?

April 19, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. @Superhiro

You have the first comment on this blog ! Are you saying that your comment is racist ? That is just goofy !

April 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

CNN deleted the initial comment by "rick" because it was extremely racist. You can see the second comment after my comment was also addressed to "rick"'s racist comment.

April 19, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. laquecia

If you dont understand how a monkey smoking a cigarette is racism then i feel sorry for you. Like Superhiro I feel this is the most bigoted and racist thing I have ever herd !

April 19, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Redonkulus

If you think a monkey with a cigarette is racist then don't go to the grocery isle, as you'll think the same when you see a watermelon, don't drive in front of a fried chicken place, or don't drive period, because if you think a monkey with a cigarette is racist, you'll think that the traffic lights are not sensitive to color blind people...

April 19, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. *poooop*

Well, I think it is racist. So does Superhiro so that is good enough for me ! If they had gotten both a polar bear AND a monkey to smoke then it would not have been. If you were African American like us then you would understand that.

April 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • getalife

idiot.am african american and dont see what you are talking about.all i see is a funny monkey

April 20, 2011 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
  16. bob

Sarcasm detectors seem out of whack, Cap'n. Divert full power to humor arrays and brace for impact.

April 19, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. I'M With The Chimp

The monkey had his agent plant this story.
    He wants to start a TV show with Charlie Sheen.
    Two Monkees and A Smoke.

April 19, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. SAM

Oh my goodness,what do they do KEEP HIM DRUNK ? and thats ok right,,Just dont Smoke ?

April 19, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lettuce Prey

Good grief, did you bother to read the article? Where do you get "keep him drunk"? And by the way, if you had read the article you would know that he is a she, and she most definitely does not smoke. It was a joke (look that up if you need to).

April 19, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Lanfear

Oh God... can't joke about anything nowadays.

April 19, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Bpoop

Of course, because your introverted conlusion is that its not enertaining we should not show it, right?

April 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lettuce Prey

Well, you did at least spell introverted correctly, even though the word makes absolutely no sense in this context.

April 19, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. lol

Apparently PETA is full of morons... no wonder they get blondes going naked, it's the only way to get the attention of intellectual midgets

*no midgets were harmed in the making of this post, nor were any monkeys smoking crack

April 19, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Camille

lol!!!:)

April 19, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • gremlin

Many of the PETA people are fairly reasonable people that raise valid concerns. As an omnivore, I've had many interesting and civil conversations with PETA supporters and a couple of members. Some of them go a little nutty with it and give the group a bad name.

April 19, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Clayton

That's a sigh of relief that he's not hooked on cigarettes... Those things are expensive! :(

April 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. the smoking monkey

Hey dude... Can I bum a smoke? I'm just a bit on edge since my acting career is moving slow as a snail... Damm casting agents put the old tight casting on my monkey a s s... lol

April 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evel Knievel

Because someone said that if the monkey was smoking then he had to be smoking menthols, which is obviously true. Specifically, Newports.

April 19, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  24. the enlightend one

how does racism come in to play with this in any way shape or form? a monkey is not a race therfore your all ingnorant this was simply a publicity stunt obviously you cant read though.

April 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

The initial comment for this story is what was racist. It's since been deleted by CNN.

April 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. *

I agree 100 percent ! Anyone who would teach a poor animal to smoke is a racist dooshbag.. I wouldnt want my dog smoking. Someone should report all of this to PETA.

April 19, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Camille

If you read the article THE MONKEY DIDN'T REALLY SMOKE!You people should calm the hell down with PETA!

April 19, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • ladd

alls I can say is, i'm sick of the PETA people who want to save the whales, yet go home and eat chicken nuggets.

a smoking monkey?, put your efforts into saving kids addicted to meth etc...

April 20, 2011 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  26. buckybadger

What is so racist about this? Some people are just too up tight. Don't have a monkey smoke in a movie because someone might have their pet do it? Do we really need to censor everything because an idiot might follow suit?

April 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Fiona

Cheap stab at getting some extra publicity buzz? I don't think it's funny to joke about it, and I don't think it's funny or entertaining to pretend in the movie that a monkey is doing any of that. Too many stupid people will try to get their pet monkeys to do it. if you doubt me, look at Youtube.

April 19, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • gremlin

What? He's a COMEDIAN. He makes COMIC movies. He made a JOKE. Since the 1980s, there have been these little blurbs in movie credits that "no animals have been harmed in the making of this film" because it's illegal now. If some idiot is going to make their pet smoke because they heard a comedian make a joke, the pet is probably doomed for many many other reasons and should have been taken away from the owner a long time ago. I'm a huge animal rights person, but come on, I know a joke when I hear (read) one. Lighten up.

April 19, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • soccer

u cant joke with so many super sensitive ignorant people around they may cry. the only allowed behaviors are to be appalled from ignorance and hug.

April 19, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Malkntnt

Fiona, chances are this is not a movie for you. Were you "outraged" by the tiger scenes in the first Hangover movie? Oh wait, chances are you didn't see it. Nevermind then.

April 20, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Rigo

HAHAHAHA are you serious?

April 21, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  28. HABINAL

I bet he would taste yummy though ! With faba beans !

April 19, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  29. david

i dont tink that the monkey should be alowed to smoke becausre his lungs are very small.

April 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Quantavious Smith

I agree with Superhiro...where is the posts about fudge factory, doo doo stumps, butt muffins. Geesh. I miss the good ole days of dookee.

April 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  31. silly

I agree with Superhiro. I think it is lame and embarasing. Why dont you post about poop or something like you usually do ?

April 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Superhiro

I hope all this lame racism makes you guys feel better.

April 19, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  33. truth

Fact: you are all racist @ssholes. YOU ARE NOT FUNNY !

April 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  34. @rick

? espiocally ? what does that mean ? why dont you go over to the Fox News site.

April 19, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  35. Superhiro

Wow... just any excuse to be a racist dbag.

April 19, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • dan

Just curious...how is this racist? ..do you just mean disrespect towards another species/non human race?

April 19, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

My comment was referring to the first comment on this blog. It's since been deleted by CNN.

April 19, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJeane

I think that i is disgraceful that we don;t have more respect for Simians, or, more appropriately, our Sapien Challenged. Did you know that if a Simian goes to the vet, his or her Simian life partner cannot even legally accompany them to the examine room???? I say, if this Simian wants to smoke cigarettes, lets not trample on her rights!!!! Please donate to the Cigarettes for Simians campaign and the Give a Chimp a Cig campaign.

April 20, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Super Joe Einhorn

When you gonna jump over the Grand Canyon on your silly canyon cycle?Evel Knievel is a LOSER! Super Joe will drive that canyon cycle right up ya butt.

April 19, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |