April 19th, 2011

Five things you might not know about Cloris Leachman

She's highly accomplished, raunchy and definitely hilarious. If you've watched any movies or TV shows in the last 50 or so years, you've come to know Oscar-winning actress Cloris Leachman well.

Some of Leachman's most notable roles were Phyllis on "Mary Tyler Moore," Nurse Diesel in "High Anxiety" and Frau Blucher in "Young Frankenstein." More recently she starred as the Great Gam Gam in "Beerfest" and plays the grandma with dementia on Fox's hit show "Raising Hope."

Since Leachman has been in show business for quite a while, there really isn't a ton people don't know about her. But when she visited us at CNN.com to answer iReport questions, we learned some tidbits about Cloris Leachman that you still may not know.

1. Cloris Leachman is in impeccable shape

You may have seen her dancing up a storm on "Dancing with the Stars," but try keeping up with her in person. During her visit to CNN the 85-year-old star did ballet moves on the bar in the elevator, lifted her leg up on a 4-foot high banister in the hallway to stretch and chased one of our employees down a long hallway…and won.

2. Cloris Leachman is a news junkie

While Leachman was in hair and makeup she kept wandering out of her chair to get a glimpse of Wolf Blitzer on "The Situation Room." She came to CNN during the beginning of the protests in Libya, and before we started our interview she turned the tables and asked us a question: "What's Gadhafi going to do?" When we finished our interview, she headed straight for the newsroom to watch more of the day's headlines unfold on TV.

3. Cloris Leachman's managed by her son

That's right. Leachman keeps her career safe in the hands of her son George Englund Jr. We asked her what it was like to be managed by her son and she jokingly said that from his point of view managing her is like "herding cats. And I think it's true."  But from her perspective, she said that "never ever in my life have I been cared for so thoroughly and completely since Georgie started managing me three years ago."

4. Cloris Leachman didn't always want to be an actress

Despite her acclaim, Leachman had a lot of aspirations other than acting. "I did want to be an architect when I was a little girl," the actress revealed, "but I didn't think I could be so I thought, 'well I'll marry an architect.' So I spend all my money changing my houses so they're just perfect the way I love them." In addition to that she wishes she could have been a singer or a Flamenco dancer.

5. The character Cloris Leachman most identifies with is...

Nurse Diesel in Mel Brooks' film "High Anxiety." She then went on to say, "Mel Brooks and I, we forgot that she had a nickname. And we never used it for some reason. Her nickname was Iron Pits which was a good nickname for Charlotte Diesel R.N."

You can catch Cloris Leachman on "Raising Hope'" Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET on Fox.

1. FORGET HIM...

HE PAYS BY BEING TREATED LIKE SH0T BY HIS OWN GIRLFRIEND FOR 15 YEARS...

November 7, 2013 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. I HAD SX WITH 50 MEN...

WE ARE AT WAR..FAT HIPS AND WE ALL KNOW YOUR A WEENIE BIMBO..

75 ON.- SHE MADE SOME BLOG FUNDS AND USERNAME FUNDS TONGIHT...

REPORT HER AS ABUSE FOR EVERYTHING..SHE IS USELESS..I HEAR ONE MORE LIE COME OUT OF YOU

MOUTH EXPECT PUBLIC RIDCULE...YOUR NOTHING..I AM HIGHER THEN YOU ARE..I AM WELL LIKED YOU

ARE NOT, EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT YOU DID TOO ME..BY WATCHING....GET LOST YOUR USELESS

GET A HOBBY....YOUR TOO OBESSED ON SOMETHING YOU WILL NEVER WIN WITH....WHEN YOU LIE

YOU NEVER WIN. WITH ME....GET LOST YOUR A HACKING HOE

November 7, 2013 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. ALL THE WEB CRAP NEVER WORKED...

WE RETRIEVED ALL YOUR GARBAGE...ALL YOU SABOTAGE FROM THIS IP ADDRESS NEVER WORKED....

NOTHING WORKED.. YOU LOST MONEY, YOU LOST YOUR CHATBOT SH-T...YOU LOST...WE WON....

YOU DO NOT WANT ME IN THE CLICK ...EXPECT YOUR NAMES MENTIONED ON CNN IF YOUR FAT WIFE

BOTHERS ME ONE MORE TIME. DO YOU UNDERSTAND...GET A HOBBY..SHE'S NOT DOING ANYTHING

EVERYTIME SHE SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT ME WE HAVE HER 1 HOUR PRIOR HER SH-T...NOTHING WORKS

SHE'S A DEAD END....I AM NOT LEAVING THE SCENE ANYTIME SOON...YOU BOTHER ME I HEAR LIES...

YOU AND I GO TOO WAR HOE...UNDERSTAND?....GET LOST....YOUR LAZY YOUR NOT ME YOU WILL NEVER

BE THE KIND OF PERSON I AM.....YOU JUST CAN'T BEAT ME..YOU WILL NEVER BE THE KIND PERSON I AM

YOU WILL NEVER BE ME.....NOW GET LOST AND GO DO SOMETHING.....THE CHATBOT THING RUINED

YOUR REPUTATION WITH EVERYONE. IT NEVER WORKED, ITS STILL NOT WORKING AND WE NAILED

EVERYTHING...NOW GO TELL MORE LIES BECAUSE YOU WILL NEVER WIN ...EVER NOT WITH ME...AND

LYING YOU NEVER WIN...HUN1

November 7, 2013 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. YOU LOST..

YOU LIED ABOUT THE CHATBOT WHICH NEVER WORKED FOR YOU AND WE NAILED, YOU LIED ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE...I SLEPT WITH 50 MEN...YOU ARE AT WAR WITH ME...DO YOU UNDERSTAND..YOU A FKING WEENIE CHICK ANYWAY..YOUR TOUGH BEHIND A COMPUTER BUT THAT IS ABOUT IT. YOU WANT ME EXCLUDED BUT YOU WANT TOO BUST MY CHOPS? NOT HAPPENING......I BLOW BUMS ON THE STREET
    IS WAR...YOUR LAZY AND DO NOTHING ALL DAY BUT THIS.

November 7, 2013 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Impespansimew

http://www.e-tam.net.pl/kamagra-home1.php :)

November 7, 2013 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • YOU CAN FORGET THIS TOO HON...

THAT WAS NOT IN YOUR FAVOR EITHER--YOUR LAZY AND YOU DO NOTHING ALL DAY...

November 7, 2013 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. Henriettas Louizal

Keep up the superb work, I read few articles on this web site and I think that your site is real interesting and has got lots of fantastic information.

July 9, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. WK

Cloris Leachman is an inspiration to all...I love her quirky, funny and unpredictable sense of humer. Her timing is impecable. She and Betty White would be GREAT together in a sitcom as sisters.... Hope it happens! She is one FUNNY lady and makes many laugh at what someday we might all be faced with. LOVE HER!!

April 21, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mia

She took over for Mrs. Garrett on the "Facts of Life" on the last seasons and raised Blair, Jo, Natalie and Tootie!

April 21, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. candice

Love her in Raising Hope. That is one of the best new shows on TV right now. She really makes the whole show. Her character is perfect. I love it when she is lucid and starts yelling at everyone, then snaps back into crazy.

April 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. aj

She is a strongest survivor of her own era. Good for her to keep going!

April 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mark Forror

Cloris Leachman also used to be good friends with Marlon Brando. Reportedly even had an affair with him, but she denies it.

April 21, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bonus Fire

Love the lady. Does anyone remember her in, "A Girl Named Sooner"? That was an excellent movie!

April 21, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. Peace

She's a funny ol' gal ! I wish her well !

April 21, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. PELEKA

Cloris Leachman is an icon and an inspiration. I wish I would be like her in my 80s! I love her!!!

April 20, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ladiesbane

She also originated the role of Dunreath Henry in Jean Kerr's play "King of Hearts" (Lyceum Theater, 1 April 1954) - not to mention Phyllis Lindstrom on "Mary Tyler Moore" and her own spinoff, "Phyllis". What a gal.

April 20, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  16. marc

i like miss leechman i hope i an do the same at her age

April 20, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  17. teetee

We graduated from the same high school! Different year;)

April 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  18. fan

April 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Pliny

You should also know that Cloris is a 9th degree black-belt.

I didn't know that, and she kicked my azz.

April 20, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Agree

Mrs. Thing is right. She was great in "Wonder Woman" with Lynda Carter! Perfect choice for Diana's mother!

April 20, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  21. B lo me

I wanna be Cloris Leachman when I grow up. Guess that means the wiener has to go!

April 20, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  22. get a life

6. Her show on now SUCKS 7. Question her ability to judge news, CNN? ROFLOL

April 20, 2011 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  23. Roy

She's an est graduate and that's tops in my book.

April 19, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Mickey

Leachman's film debut was in Kiss Me Deadly, as a hitchhiker wearing nothing except a trench coat.

April 19, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  25. wayne

because she watches cnn she is a "news junkie"...best line of the day..couldnt stop laughing

April 19, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  26. betty

The lady is an inspiration.

April 19, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mrs. Thing

Loved her as Queen Hippolyta in the pilot episode of Lynda Carter's "Wonder Woman."

April 19, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  28. EL Jefe

While dumb, funny

April 19, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jo

If you consider her terrible in any Mel Brooks movie, you have NO idea what funny is.

April 19, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |