Charice returns to 'Glee'
April 19th, 2011

Charice returns to 'Glee'

Singer Charice was overjoyed to be asked back for another episode of "Glee," and even more so once she learned she would be singing "All By Myself" by Celine Dion.

"When they gave me the song 'All By Myself,' I was really happy because I've been singing that song forever," she said during a conference call. "I love Celine Dion."

Fans will remember that Dion helped to give the petite chanteuse a career boost when she brought her on stage to sing during a Madison Square Garden concert.

On tonight's episode of "Glee," the young singer will reprise her role of exchange student Sunshine Corazon, who's on hand to help the members of McKinley High's show choir put on a benefit.

Charice said she has no idea if her character's motives are genuine or not.

"I am very excited to see what's going to happen to my character," she said. "Is she going to turn into a spy or is she really going to help glee club?"

She said she's made friends with the "Glee" cast, and was blown away that actress Naya Rivera, who plays Santana on the show, had followed her career. She's also keeping her fingers crossed that she'll be invited back, and would love to sing her new song "Before It Explodes," which was written by Bruno Mars.

For now, she's enjoying the exposure the hit Fox show has given her.

"A lot of people recognize me," Charice said. "'Glee' really helped me in my career and my life."

No word yet on whether Charice will be joining the gang for their North American concert tour. "Glee! Live! In Concert" has added more tour dates and recently announced that members of  The Warblers and Ashley Fink, who plays Lauren, will be a part of the shows.

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television

1. TQTGA

Nothin' wrong with doing a good cover. Heck, even the music in this song was adapted from Rachmaninoff (Piano Concerto # 2). But it is tragic that Charice and a dumb writer think the song belongs to Celine Dion, whose showboating is atrocious. If you do a cover, you should show respect by doing it in the style of the original–not adding vocal gymnastics and as many drawn out syllables as you can cram in. Charice has a great voice. But check out Eric Carmen on YouTube. He wrote it, he played it (piano) and–you can see– he lived it.

April 22, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. STP123

The song, "All By Myself", while covered by Celine Dion and then Charice was originally written, performed and released by ERIC CARMEN. He made this song the hit it currently is.

I shouldn't be surprised by CNN's lack of accuracy, yet, I am. If I open the book, "Gone With the Wind" and write all the words down and distribute it, will CNN now call it "Gone WIth The Wind" written by Me? Seriously CNN, would it have killed you to do some research and give accurate credit where it's due?

April 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bankerdanny

Thank you! Celine Freaking Dion? I didn't even know that she had even covered this song. At least give credit to the guy that had the actual hit, not the over emoting belter from Canada that covered it.

April 24, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. francis

April 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. E

Holy smokes! I did not know this itty bitty girl have such powerful lungs. Gave me the chills when I heard her sing. Whoa!! Sorry, but I think she's the best singer who's ever sung in Glee.

April 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rdrg82

According to DF, he make Celine to repeat the high note 7 times and made her annoyd. "Find me a singer that will justify this song". He said its almost imposible until came Charice whos little body only did it only once. I could not understand before 'cause
    I like Celine before untill this two clips and concluded that Charice can own this song. I think Celine will give it to her.

April 20, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. portalpunk

Here is what GLEE should do

April 20, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  7. ryan

im excited to the see glee tonight. im following her singing career since last year and i like her voice very powerful

April 20, 2011 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sunny

Charice r u very nice voice and good performances Nice song "Before it Explodes " sosososososo amazing LOVE U

April 20, 2011 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. Gray

Charice is a phenomenon of nature! Small small girl with a big big voice!...BTW she just released two new singles (not covers, mind you): one is a kind of ballad, called "Before It Explodes," ; the other a dance song, "One Day"..Check them out on iTUNES!!

April 20, 2011 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. cate

watch all by myself live version in youtube... you will be impressed...

April 19, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. pct shie

shiela is a talented singer.. you need to see her live...

April 19, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. brad

UGLY AMERICANS, GO.....YOU ARE ALL UGLY....UGLY AMERICANS

April 19, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Yobhtron

Charice live performances are even better than the recorded ones. She's the one true teen DIVA on the planet right now. She's a vocal prodigy.

April 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mhyles

i am admiring this artist not only she can sing one type of music but makes good music not trashy. To the top.

April 19, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ashleigh

Charice has a very good voice and I can't wait to watch the episode of glee with her in it.
    Her song Pyramid with IYAZ was really good.

April 19, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Vegas gleek

Charice just kills the songs she sings. Luv her

April 19, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. qatarfan

I have watched her vids in youtube. She is soooo shocking. I am supporting this young lady. Go Charice!

April 19, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Who?

To be honest, I had never heard of her before I saw her in one episode of Glee. I didn't realize she was actually an aspiring artist that people had actually heard of (no, I don't mean this in a mean-spirited way).

April 19, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. HABINAL

Charice Starling I presuuuuuume ! HATCHATCHATCHA !

April 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. nice

It's too bad that she's not a permanent character, really. Her voice really blows away just about the whole cast. When I first heard she was going to be on the show, I had high hopes for some good storylines with new rivalries. Unfortunately, it didn't pan out.

April 19, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Danica Chase

Charise is a typical national anthem queen of which there are dozens. There is no reason to believe this kid is the next anything. There is nothing truly unique about Charise.

BTW David Foster is from another generation and hasn't had a hit in what, 15 years? I'm betting Foster has a fiduciary interest in this kid and that's why she is on Glee.

April 19, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • arbeegee

"Charise is a typical national anthem queen of which there are dozens. There is no reason to believe this kid is the next anything. There is nothing truly unique about Charise".

So, Ms. Chase, are you on tap to be one of next season's judges on American Idol? Please tell us what makes you such an expert on singers. I believe the majority of people who have heard this young lady sing would disagree with your statement above and I believe she will prove you wrong. While most of the opinons posted about Charice are just that – opinions – you come off as some kind of egotistical, self-proclaimed expert, who thinks everyone else's opinions shouldn't even be considered, much less posted on here. Come down off your high horse and admit to yourself that other people can be right, even when they disagree with you.

April 21, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • oh yea?

@ Art

Yea, as long as they agree with you, right?

April 21, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  22. _

I did knot know she could sing ! That is incredible ! I got to check this glee show out !

April 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  23. _

I remember when Charice worked for the FBI. She sure enough tricked that Hannibal fella into helping her.

April 19, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. foool

I didnt know ALL BY MYSELF was written by Eric Cartmen. He is GREAT ! A tallented actor and songwriter !

April 19, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Buddy

I agree with you, Joseph, in both above counts. Charice ranks among the best at this point in time.

April 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Amsterdam

Charice is one of a kind... I love her because she gave me so much inspiration in life not to mention that her voice is really amazing... Yes she can imitate all the famous singers out there at the same time OUTSHINES the oriinal singers + she can even mimic the sounds of animals even the chipmunks . Actually she can do almost everything. But to top it all the reason why I love Charice is that she's so kind and sweet person. Please buy her new songs in Itunes and Amazon.

April 19, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Joseph

Charice doesn't need auto-tune, back-up dancers or fancy theatrics to put on a show. She is so great at her craft, that fans of other artist feel threatened and badmouth her. She is just a young girl trying to realize her dreams, I can't believe there are people out there who would say such bad things to her. May God bless you all.

April 19, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Ding Xao Ping

Little Charice can beat my box anytime.

April 19, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Joseph

According to David Foster, the ability to mimic other people's voices is a characteristic of a great singer. I have to agree, you need some insane vocals to be able to mimic voices and Charice does more than that. She can sing all types of genres including opera, rap and even beat box.

April 19, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Richard

"All By Myself" was written by Eric Carmen. Celine Dion covered it.

April 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wolf Daddy

Kinda sad that the writer didn't catch that one. I'm feeling old!

April 19, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Thank God someone else realized that it was not Celine's song. Told daughter last night that Eric Carmen originally did it.

April 20, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Mia

Thank you! I was gritting my teeth and getting quite annoyed until I scrolled down to your CATCH on Eric Carmen. Wonder how old the writer of the article is...

April 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  31. JAMAL

YEP ! I HEARD THAT TOO. SHE A CHINEEEE GURL.

April 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • ugly_betty

she is a FILIPINA, she is NOT CHINESE.

April 19, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • joejohnson

Yo Jamal at least she could be seen in the day and night, unless your as lightskinned as her.

Did you see what i just did here :)

April 21, 2011 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Arbeegee

@Jamal and Evel Knievel, too:

Having seen this young lady sing and heard her conversations on several American T.V. shows, including Ellen and Oprah, I would bet that she speaks much better English than either of you. It appears like she has much more common sense than either of you idiots, too.

April 21, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  32. Evel Knievel

I hear she calls the show, "Gree". Is that true?

April 19, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Anthony

She is amazing! Her voice is unbelievable! Can't wait to see her on Glee!

April 19, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  34. pearl

you're wrong, when she covers a song, she makes it like her own. she makes it sound better than the original to the point that she could almost claim its hers. let's just be happy that she on the show and she made it on her own initiative. she's not out to outdo lea,.but to join her and her company. there's nothing personal about it. if you could sing good yourself, wouldn't you feel happy too if you will be on it? i think, that's how charice feels.

April 19, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

Charice is such a unique and talented singer that she just accepted an offer to join the band Journey.

April 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  35. abi

can't wait for tonight's episode with the return of Sunshine Corazon. The sneak preview of her song just blew me away!

April 19, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  36. WebScribes

Following Charice’s career is like reading an exciting novel that you cannot put down even for a moment!
    & a whole new chapter begins Today!
    With several new singles plus her Glee songs being released over the next few weeks – happy days!

April 19, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  37. slove

charice voice is good but she is a mimic singer. she makes her voice sound just like the original song. if you listen to her sing Celine or Beyonce it sounds just like them. lea has a theatre voice but she changes it up and thats why she is better.

April 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • slove_for_lea

SLOVE, if she can sing a DION song and a WHITNEY song a a BIONCE song, and yet, she can sing her own and much more, that would be an awesome talent NONE can compare. As Simon Cowell pointed out, don't sing any of those BIG SONGS of BIG ARTISTS as these SONGS tend to bring out the true weakness in you. Charice has made the WORLD her STAGE and SHOWED how easy she repeatedly SINGS those BIG SONGS, because of that, THERE IS NOTHING CHARICE CANNOT DO! That makes her the BEST SINGER to DATE in this generation.

April 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • epgomez

There's no doubt charice is a singer extraordinair.

April 19, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • jodipo

um... no. Lea is a good singer, but not a fantastic singer. This Charice girl has one of the best voices I have ever heard on anyone short of an opera singer.

April 20, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
    • JD

I am a Celine fan and I have seen both, Celine and Charice live and let me just tell you that your are full of it ! I have respect for both talents. While Celine is Celine and Charice is Charice, I have to say that my ears WILL defer to Charice's sound. As for your comment of better, there is no such thing as better at this professional level only preferences. Music is not a science. And as far as Lea is concerned, I would much prefer to hear Charice over Lea any day of the week. YOU MUST BE A FREAKING MORON TO SAY THAT CHARICE MIMICS – GET YOUR EARS CLEANED !

April 20, 2011 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
    • SinceEverSince

Dumba$$! You need to clean that dogs#!T out of your ears, how is Charice mimicing Celine's voice? You can't even tell the difference in their voices. They have different voice tones and range.

Seems to me your a Lea fan and can't accept the fact Charice is a bigger star, has hits on the billboard, internationally known and has a bigger fanbase than Lea. Lea's theatre voice isn't taking her to the top. Sorry to say but she is good but broadway and glee is definately for her.

Just to keep you in check listen to these and tell me if your waxfilled ears hears Charice mimicing Celine's voice and range.

Celine Dion version