Ahead of the Curve: Weekly pop culture cheat sheet
April 17th, 2011

Ahead of the Curve: Weekly pop culture cheat sheet

We have all been inundated with pictures like this one from the upcoming “Water for Elephants” for weeks, and the wait is finally over.

On April 22, the movie based on Sara Gruen's novel of the same name and starring Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon will be coming to theaters. It's about a veterinary student, Jacob Jankowski (Pattinson) who is about to complete his final exams when he is suddenly thrown into taking care of animals at a circus. During his time there, he falls in love with Marlena, played by Witherspoon, an equestrian star who is married to an abusive animal trainer.

Here are some other things happening this week that you don’t want to miss:

Sunday

• It is guest voices galore on “Family Guy” and “The Cleveland Show” this week! In the latest episode of “Family Guy,” we meet Lois’ sister, voiced by Julie Haggerty, who decides to marry Mayor West. Other guest voices are Robert Loggia, as himself, and “Family Ties” stars Meredith Baxter and Michael Gross. Titled “Brothers & Sisters,” this episode will air at 9 p.m. ET on Fox.
  • Corey Holocomb will voice Donna’s ex on the latest episode of “The Cleveland Show.” Snoop Dogg, Tony Hawk, Rebecca Romijn and Billy Dee Williams also guest star. Titled "Back to Cool," this episode will air right after "Family Guy" at 9:30 p.m. ET on Fox.

Monday

• Who else is excited that Thirteen, played by Olivia Wilde, is back on “House” and out of prison? We saw her return on the exciting episode, “The Dig." Catch the next one, “Last Temptation,” at 8 p.m. ET on Fox.
  • “Conan” is also all-new on Monday with guest star Emma Roberts, whose latest film “Scream 4” is out in theaters now. Catch her and Scala and Kolacny Brothers perform at 11 p.m. on TBS.

Tuesday

• April 19 is the day of some interesting releases. The 2011 Oscar’s Best Picture winner, “The King’s Speech,” will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray. You can also digitally order the movie through Amazon so that you can watch it directly on your PC or Mac. Some of the features on the Blu-Ray include audio commentary and deleted scenes.
  • Two books of note that will also be released on this day are “The Sixth Man” by David Baldacci and “Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption-from South Central to Hollywood” by Ice-T.

Wednesday

• Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson will be on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” to promote “Fast Five,” the latest in the “Fast and Furious” franchise. Also, singer Sammy Hagar will be talking about his autobiography, "Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock." See this and more at 12 a.m. ET on ABC.
  • Additionally, watch out for a new episode of "American Idol" when the 7 finalists compete at 8 p.m. ET on Fox.

Thursday

• The time for Michael Scott to leave Dundler Mifflin Inc. is coming awfully close. This next episode of “The Office” is Steve Carell's second-to-last appearance as the incompetent but lovable boss. Catch “Michael’s Last Dundies” at 9 p.m. ET on NBC.

Friday

• In case you are not in the mood for the mellow “Water for Elephants,” there's also “Madea’s Big Happy Family.” This 11th Tyler Perry movie is about Madea trying to bring the family together when she finds out that her niece, Shirley, has a serious health issue. And knowing Madea, we can expect her to pull it off in her own unique way.

1. Beautiful Vixen

Yea you are right. Didn't that happened while he was fighting? I can't remember who it was that he was fighting but I think his brother is also fighting and he wanted revenge. Was it Cane that messed up Stone Cold? If i'm correct that was a while ago. I justa watch it once in a while. Mostly when my parents are visiting because they like watching it..lol

April 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. B lo me

@Beautiful Vixen no stone cold cant do it anymore he has neck and back injuries

April 18, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. semi-pro wrestler

I remember one time I was in a no holds barred match against The Brown Thrasher. His thing was he was a big black dude that wore a mask and would flap his arms like a bird. I thought he was about the silliest thing in the world. The kids there really liked the show he put on though. He won the match of course. I always acted odd like a circus freak guy. I was always supposed to loose. We were young and it was fun. I was just glad to be up there !

April 18, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. B lo me

The new generation of wretlers most all of them suck John Cena and a few others r ok but the majority suck thats mostly y mma is slowly pushing wwe out of business

April 18, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. toes

Plus I am a retired schoolteacher. Go figure. . . .My students always found it incredible. They loved hen i would tell them about my adventures as a pro wrestler.

April 18, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. toes

I am a former professional wrestler. A championship belt holder. I can tell you it is fake. I had to go to acting school to learn how to be dramatic and stuff. BTW my pro name was THE AMAZING MONGOLOOOID ! Check me out on youtube !

April 18, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. Beautiful Vixen

Lol..speedos. Nothing turns me on more than a man in speedos..lol Maybe that's why I can't sleep...just kidding. I have to say that I like the Undertaker, I had Like Stone Cold (I don't think he fight anymore) and a few others.

April 18, 2011 at 3:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. Peace

Ultimate fighting was better "back in the day". I still watch, though. I wait for the ko's & tap outs. Yeah, too much "rolling" around...yawn ! Just can't write an opinion on this site w/o some1 else writing something stupid & causing grief to others, ya know ? It is what it is, I guess !

April 18, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. B lo me

@ Peace there no grief i was just saying wrestling is not what it used to be and not all mma fights are good to men rolling on the ground in speedos is not entertaining but a good knockout or tap is fun but 5rds of rolling on the ground i'd rather watch paint dry

April 18, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  10. Peace

Sorry b lo me, wasn't trying to cause grief. Never got into wrestling, but I'll take ultimate fighting any day !

April 17, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. B lo me

Call it what u want the falls are real not just anybody can be a wrestler the injuries are very real but yea otherwise fake

April 17, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. B lo me

Call it what u want the falls are real not just anybody can be a wrestler

April 17, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. and yer pt is ?

So in otherwords, IT IS FAKE.

April 17, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. B lo me

Wrestling is staged wrestlers are taught to fall and avoid injury

April 17, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Peace

Interesting tid bits of info. I just heard the Rock had received back injuries in football. Then he went on to do wrestling??? Tell me again it's not fake! He looks pretty good for having a bad back, I will give him that!!!

April 17, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |