Samuel L. Jackson to play MLK on Broadway
April 15th, 2011

Samuel L. Jackson to play MLK on Broadway

He's played many memorable characters on screen, but now Samuel L. Jackson will portray a legend on stage. The actor is set to make his Broadway debut portraying Martin Luther King, reports Deadline.

Jackson will star in the upcoming drama "The Mountaintop," which takes place on April 3, 1968—the night before the civil rights leader was assassinated. The story will follow Dr. King as he retires to Room 306 in Memphis' Lorraine Motel following the legendary "I've Been to the Mountaintop" speech.

When a mysterious woman delivers his room-service, he is forced to confront his past and his legacy.

"'The Mountaintop' is a brilliantly conceived gem of a play. An ambitious work of fiction that is powerful, heartbreaking, humorous and exhilarating," said producers Jean Doumanian and Sonia Friedman in a statement. "We are thrilled to be bringing Katori Hall’s remarkable, Olivier-winning work to New York, and to present a singular new American voice to Broadway audiences. And we are honored to be presenting the Broadway debut of the great Samuel L. Jackson."

"The Mountaintop" will begin performances on September 22 at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre, with an official opening on October 13. Tickets will go on sale at a later date.

1. Jeda

I will definitely be going to see this. Very excited about AfroAmericans and a afro american play being portrayed on the Broadway theater stage especially when its about such a great leader!

August 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Over the years

Over the years in college I have learned to accept people the way they are. There are mostly whites that attend my college and counting me and few other blacks. We are the minority! What I have learned is when people are afraid of something they act upon their emotions. And I have learned "We are all more alike than we are unalike." Maya Angelou

April 18, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. B lo me

@SLJ is it that stink of doo doo coming from your mouth you smell. b/c people do cross the street when im with you here i am thinking it was b/c you look like bigfoot

April 17, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Peace

Oh, I think Samuel Jackson will do a fine job. He's a good actor.

April 17, 2011 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. SLJ

Blow me: u ain't fit 2 ty my shoes, homey. u is de reason people cross de street when dey sees u comin' u got an unholy funk about u boy!

April 16, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. B lo me

Sam fits Dr. King's facial features more than Denzel does, and Sam was free thats why his playing the part.

April 16, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ...

The very idea has seized my vital regions! Wish I didn't live on the other side of the country.

April 16, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sunless

who minds... get to that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

April 16, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. lightbulb

Denzel W would be a great choice ! I didnt even think of him ! You are 100 percent right, i think !

April 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cait

If only Denzel didn't already do Malcolm X, guess there's a rule that he can't portray two historical black leaders in his acting career. He would be sooo much better than Jackson. Sorry, I like Samuel, but he seem to be more of a novelty act these days instead of a reputable actor.

April 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. lightbulb

i really do like him as an actor. he was mighty great in pulp fiction. i wish bruce willis wouldnt have killed john travolta in it though. as the great bill abd ted say, it is a most excellent movie.

April 16, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  12. Calaban007

SLJ as MLK; "I have a mf'n dream that one day this mf'n nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its mf'n creed...The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." Crown: "what?" SLJ as MLK: "Do they speak English in what?" Hilarious

Seriously, a former black panther crack addict will play MLK. I can't see anyone more fitting for the roll.

April 16, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. CNN SUCKS

B lo me & my2cents, Superhiro, all idiots. Bite me.

April 16, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  14. Phillip

Please. The only thing these two have in common is skin color. They could've at least picked someone who would do the role respect.

April 16, 2011 at 3:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. The Joker

Q: Do you know what costume Mrs. King wore for Halloween after MLK was killed? A: A black widow! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! Boy I crack myself up!

April 16, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. !

DO YOU KNOW THAT SOUND CHIMPANZEES MAKE WHEN THEY ARE REALLY AGITATED?
    THAT'S THE SAME SOUND I WOULD HEAR WHENEVER MLK WOULD SPEAK.
    MAYBE THERE IS A ROSETTA STONE PROGRAM THAT TEACHES WHITE PEOPLE TO DICIPHER EBONICS.

April 16, 2011 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  17. White Is Right

Jesus not again. We already know all there is to know about the nogs. If it wasnt for the white man to begin with he wouldve never been allowed to even give that speech. Those nogs are so ungrateful. The white man gave them everything they have and we cant even get a thank you. Pathetic isnt it?

April 16, 2011 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  18. Superhiro

Dang, what is it, racist d-bag day on the Marquee blogs?

April 15, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  19. B lo me

I think the play will be outstanding

April 15, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. My2Cents

I heard he was named after a road. My mom said that they named him after MLK boulevard so he would not keep forgetting his name.

April 15, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. JAMAL

Plus did you realize he is the grandfather of todays rap and hiphop muisic ? There would be no Snoop Doggg or forshizzle without MLKs guidance.

April 15, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  22. JAMAL

As a strong and proud AFrican American it troubles me that MLK is not remembered for his wit. I saw him perform in Harlem in 1962. He was hilarous ! Much of todays comedy comes straight from MLK. While he loved to use profanity in his comedic routines he could also play the atraight man. MLK: comdeic genius !

April 15, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Head Diva In Charge

@Laquecia..African American..call it what you want, you are still black..lol @SC Diva you shut your pie face. Obay me because after all I'm the Head Diva In Charge! So shut up and sit down. You are on a time out lady!

April 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ScDiva

Hmmmm....I'm sure he will do well. As for the trolls on here making these "comments", you are really letting your immaturity come out and this stupid stuff being posted is totally unecessary.

April 15, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  25. 6Digitballin

@A real Fancy Boy...

I'm telling CARLETTA!

April 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Hmmm...

After reading all of your statements (this does not apply to 2cents or b lo me), I find it ironic john travolta mentions God ! Your all doomed !

April 15, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  27. B. Utt Weasel

Yeah don't talk that way about Ghandi & Samuel Jackson. That other dude started his civil rights group with start-up money he got from the Russian Communist Party!

April 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  28. B lo me

Such disrespect for two great men

April 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  29. hm

Looks like the same troll couldn't keep his commenting down to one large comment... he had to go off in several spurts...

April 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  30. emma

SLJ gonna play with MLK ! Its gonna be a fudge packing fiesta !

April 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  31. laquecia

I am an African American and I can tell you he is no heero of mine ! His last CD was nowhere as hot as Chris Browns !

April 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  32. My2Cents

Samuel L. Jackson is a wonderful actor! I'm sure the play will be amazing!!

April 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  33. TOTY TEACHER

Yeah ! That is why I gave him an F ! I caught him copying ! There is no cheating in my classroom !

April 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |