Russell Brand officially joins 'Rock of Ages'
April 15th, 2011

Russell Brand officially joins 'Rock of Ages'

It's official — after months of rumors, Russell Brand has finally joined the cast of the upcoming film adaptation of the Broadway musical "Rock of Ages."

Director Adam Shankman broke the news about the Brit comic's latest gig via Twitter. "I can officially announce Russell Brand as your Lonny in #rockofagesmovie!" he wrote. "I see a mullet in his future...maybe a Nikki Six?"

Definitely!

As Marquee reported in January, Brand was being eyed for the role of Lonny, who serves as the film's narrator and also runs the Bourbon Room, where much of the '80s-era story takes place. Newlywed Brand told CNN's Piers Morgan, however, that he hadn't yet committed to the project because he wanted to make sure it wouldn't interfere with his quality time with wife Katy Perry.

"We've been talking about 'Rock of Ages' for a little while, but I think we're trying to work out scheduling because, as you know, as a man who is married to a person that could often be on another continent, I need to put my marriage first," he said. "If we can work out the scheduling, then I'll do it."

Looks like they worked things out.

"Rock of Ages" tells the story of small-town girl Sherrie (Julianne Hough), who moves to Hollywood to be an actress. She takes a job at the Bourbon Room, owned by Dennis Dupree (Alec Baldwin), and catches the eye of Drew (Diego Gonzalez Boneta).

Drew gets Sherrie fired after she has an affair with Stacee Jaxx (Tom Cruise), and she takes a job as a stripper at a gentleman's club owned by Justice (Mary J. Blige). Sherrie eventually gives up exotic dancing to find true love.

Do you think Brand will rock "Rock of Ages"?

Post by:
Filed under: Alec Baldwin • Celebrities • Katy Perry • movies • Music • Tom Cruise

1. Cisco Orange County

Thank you for every other informative site. The place else may I get that kind of information written in such an ideal manner? I have a challenge that I am simply now running on, and I have been on the look out for such information.

June 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. yamilisa

If nothing else this movie is going to be interesting but Russell Brand as Lonny, hmmm we'll see. I pictured Jack Black as Lonny. I've seen ROA twice, off and on Broadway and I always thought Mitchell Jarvis must have channeled Jack Black for Lonny it was so uncanny.

April 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Angelina

I'm in luv wi Russell, I wish he had more movies than what I have little left to peck on. Please Russell do the movie for your fans, I've watched, 'Get him to the Greek' atleast 25 times & the the song 'Going Up' a million times!, He rocks, I feel he's the only one that can carry such roles & be the God we want him to be!

April 18, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. Henry

CAN HE PUT HIS TEETH AWAY GOD !

April 16, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sunless

it's crap... better get that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

April 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rlg

I think Russell Brand is a hoot. Perhaps those that don't like him don't understand his type of humor. Just listen carefully and you can't help but laugh and enjoy!

April 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. madhater

I watched one of that dudes standup to see what all the hoopla was about. I found it rather dreary and g@y.

April 16, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. sassie

This sounds like it's going to be a great movie! I've been waiting for years to see Mary J. Blidge on the big screen. You have to understand British humor to appreciate Russell Brand. He reminds me of a modern day Benny Hill.

April 16, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lennie Ross

I like Russell Brand. Though I found his book to be a pretentious bore. Shame, I was hoping for something funny.

April 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. My2Cents

Exactly what I thought !

April 15, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. B. Utt Weasel

The only time he's funny is when someone hits him in the mouth with a shovel.

April 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. eman ighneim

hey, he is a good actor and a funny person.lol

April 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. My2Cents

How nice that he puts his wife 1st ! One of the good guys, I guess!

April 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. me

(.)(.) ...... ( ) )

April 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. hjhhsdhs

not funny at all. we dont want gb conservative sober rubish. bring on the sheen

April 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  16. TOTY TEACHER

I find it discouraging that young people, especially middle school students, have stopped making jokes about bodily functions. DIarrrreah and doodoo have been staples of childhood humor for centuries. My doctoral thesis on the subject of doooodie won acclaim at the 2006 World Teacher Conference. As Americans we need to work to keep this type of humor alive.

April 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. TOTY TEACHER

I find it discouraging that young people, especially middle school student, have stopped making jokes about bodily functions. DIarrrreah and doodoo have been staples of childhood humor for centuries. My doctoral thesis on the subject of doooodie won acclaim at the 2006 World Teacher Conference. As Americans we need to work to keep this type of humor alive.

April 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  18. TOTY TEACHER

Me too. As a teacher i think he probably plays with doooody.

April 15, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Superhiro

Hmm, kinda figured he would've faded back into obscurity by now.

April 15, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. EXECUTIVE PRODUCER

they keep deleting my post. i am an important hollywood producer !

April 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lennie Ross

If you ARE an important Hollywood producer, then why haven't you optioned my book yet? Well, I hope they do post your comments. I'd love to hear them.

April 15, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • SmarterthanU

If you were a 'important' producer with something meaningful to say, why wouldn't you just contact the production company, agent, talent, magazine or network directly? No one cares who you are on a blog.

When they delete your post it means you are irritating.

April 16, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |