Neve Campbell's a 'pussycat' when it comes to scary movies
April 15th, 2011

Neve Campbell's a 'pussycat' when it comes to scary movies

Neve Campbell hasn’t had to contend with "Scream's" knife-wielding masked killer in a decade, but the 37-year-old actress says that from the first day of working on “Scream 4," it was just like old times.

“It was fun. It’s not just a similar cast, but a good deal of our crew from the last 15 years, so the first days definitely felt like a reunion,” Campbell said in an interview, adding that not everything stayed the same: “Everyone’s a little bit rounder and a little bit older,” she laughed.

Read a review of "Scream 4"

But keeping the heart of the cast together was crucial for Campbell as she stepped into the role of Sidney Prescott for a fourth time.

“It was very important to me that [director] Wes Craven and Courteney [Cox] and David [Arquette] came back,” Campbell said. “We hadn’t kept in touch a huge amount because I live in London, so it’s a challenge for me to stay in touch. But on this [‘Scream’ installment], I really ended up bonding with Courteney in ways that we hadn’t in the past.”

Of course, “Scream” vet Kevin Williamson, who brought us the original story of the sadistic slasher in 1996, was back on board as well. Campbell recalled how impressed she was when she read that first “Scream” script.

“It’s very rare that you pick up a script and you don’t put it down and come back with a cup of coffee, and this one was a real page-turner - I read it from start to finish,” Campbell said.

She was 21 at the time and fresh off “The Craft," and "it was the first lead in a film that I’d even come close to. It wasn’t a terribly conscious choice, but it happened to be really great,” she said.

Nonetheless, she never thought that her character would still be battling Ghostface in a fourth film.

“I remember the cast during the first film up in Santa Rosa joking about the fact that next Halloween, if it does well, there might be a ‘Scream’ costume, and wouldn’t that be funny,” she said. “We never imagined it would happen – to us it was just this tiny little independent that happened to have Drew Barrymore and Courteney Cox, but the rest of us were all newcomers.”

Now, 15 years later, Campbell is quite aware of “Scream’s” fanbase.

“There’s definitely a pressure after 10 years, because there’s such a buzz. There’s a pressure in making a good film, definitely, and not disappointing people, and I think we all felt that collectively,” she acknowledged. But, she added, this “Scream” finds a way to retain what everyone loves about the franchise while still firmly planting the story in the way we live now, another major reason why she signed on for a fourth installment.

“I wanted to know that we could bring something new and fun to these films, and keep what people loved about them,” she said. “For me, it was definitely about Kevin Williamson being more aware of what was going on with [today's]  generation, and that’s definitely what he brought to this film.”

It’s "wonderful," she goes on, “because I think there’s a lot to be said about the changes that people experience now with social networking and media and the Internet and all of that. Things have definitely shifted. The way kids look at fame and fortune, there’s been a shift, and the film takes a look at that.”

She’s played Sidney Prescott for so long that returning to the character doesn't faze her, but the idea of watching scary movies? Well, that does strike a little fear in her heart.

“I’m not good at watching [horror movies],” Campbell laughed. “I’m not a big one for sitting down and scaring myself for two hours.They can be great fun and a roller-coaster ride, but I have to be with a good amount of friends. I’m a bit of a pussycat when it comes to that stuff.”

Catch Neve Campbell's Sidney Prescott return to Woodsboro today when “Scream 4” opens in theaters nationwide.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. shismr

Wow, this article is fastidious, my sister is analyzing such things, so I am going to convey her.

June 26, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. Vunsek

Yes, you are right friend, regularly updating webpage is really necessary in favor of Web optimization. Fastidious argument keeps it up.

May 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Vunsej

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read something like this before. So nice to search out somebody with some original ideas on this subject. realy thanks for beginning this up. this web site is something that's needed on the web, someone with a little bit originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the web!

May 18, 2012 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Deca-Durabolin

Si poteva certamente vedere il vostro entusiasmo nel lavoro che scrivere su marquee.blogs.cnn.com. Il mondo spera ancora di più gli scrittori appassionati come voi che non hanno paura di dire come si crede. Seguire sempre il tuo cuore.

December 11, 2011 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. acquistare winstrol

vale la pena leggere. Ho trovato marquee.blogs.cnn.com molto informativo, come ho fatto ricerche molto ultimamente sulle questioni pratiche, come si parla di ┘

December 5, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. fountihytar

the Largest and Cheapest Pharmacy Online. How long [url=http://buy-chrysin.rx-pill.us/chrysin-generic.html]chrysin buy – mexican[/url] information ? pills called kingpin american medical association and the uninsured-

August 8, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Don Diam

ЛИКВИДИРУЕТСЯ ЮВЕЛИРНЫЙ МАГАЗИН [b]MONROE GEMS CH[/b] !!!
    Продолжается финальная ликвидация изделий с бриллиантами и драгоценными камнями по ликвидационным прайсам .
    ИМЕННО ДЛЯ ВАС ДОПОЛНИТЕЛЬНЫЕ СКИДКИ !!!

May 29, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MONROE GEMS CH

[u] ЗАВЕРШАЕТ СВОЮ РАБОТУ ЮВЕЛИРНЫЙ БУТИК – [b]MONROE GEMS CH[/b] !!! [/u]

Стартует последняя распродажа изделий с бриллиантами и драгоценными камнями по финальным прайсам .

ИМЕННО ДЛЯ ВАС [i][b]ДОПОЛНИТЕЛЬНЫЕ СКИДКИ !!![/b][/i]

[i] Отправка во все регионы.[/i]

May 28, 2011 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bradiarry

автономное отопление квартиры стоимость
    газовые котлы отопления липецкие
    форум водяное отопление
    водяное отопление деревянного дома
    печь с котлом водяного отопления

April 20, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. http://myif.cc/ZK

Aye Caramba! http://myif.cc/ZK

April 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. madhater

donJJ- you be a fool and need to lern how to spell beter.

April 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. donJJ

my dad used to beat me and make me eat his meaty my mom…she never believed me until she walked in with me holding my wee wee

April 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. spacedust

Wow. You are all a trip. Lol.

April 17, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. monica cook

I too iz a lezbo with a giant clam! I love to hook up with da butch ladies and use da monster strap-on! We can pound each other in da pooper for hours!! Let's make da magic happen. Skip all this Scream talk! Let's get to the good stuff.

April 17, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ross

I am a flamin butt pirate and I love to pump dudes in da poop chute! Any gayboyz wanna play hide the sausage? I love da salty goo!!

April 17, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  16. madhater

I would like to lick her o~ring.

April 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sunshine Girl

Monica Cook let rub our vaJJays up each other.

April 17, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. monica cook

Wowow everybody you commented on this previous 2 me, IQ probably combines of 30. If your going 2 write a comment WRITE IT ABOUT THE MOVIE INSTEAD OF UR PERSONAL ISSUES. NOBODY WANTS TO HERE THAT. if Ur going to write a comment either praising or insulting ATLEAST U ENGLISH AND NOT SOME RETARD TALK. the movie was a great come back after a decade of being absent. Great twist at the end and making it seem like the boyfriend was the killer again. Kudos.:-)

April 17, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  19. KC

I love Neve Campbell, I think she's beautiful and she has everything it takes to be a leadng lady in a film. I don't know why she lives in London but what I really want to know is how come she hasn't made more films?? I liked Scream 4 but I think she needed to kick some more ghostface butt. She's awesome though.

April 17, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  20. Hot4Campbell

I have always had a special place in my heart for Neve...she is just sooo freaking H-O-T!!!!!

April 17, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  21. me myself & pie

I wish I could get a chik but I am a fat goofy looking clown. That is why I turned gay. Ho-mo central! Butt pirate!! Cornholio wrangler!! Party down with monster schlongs in da pooper::

April 17, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  22. me myself & i

wow, you all seem to be retardlings

April 16, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Don JJ

(Real me) SAUSAGEFEST AT THE HOLLIDAY INN AT BALTIMORE HARBOR!!!!!

April 16, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Superhiro

I just got an erection from seeing this fat dude with speedos bend down with his fat rumptious a$$.

April 16, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Superhiro

I don't want u all to be hatin on me. Just cuz I love pumpin da dudes in da pooper, its all good!

April 16, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Don JJ

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!! I love seeing these dumba$$e$ make a fool out of themselves using my name. But please, only make fun of Superhiro and do it also in other blogs.

April 16, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  27. liv

CNN sucks its my first article I read here and I'm going back to access hollywood I wouldn't want my children reading this

April 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Amanda Roberts

Really-CNN allowed these comments to be posted-I've reported them once to CNN and they have yet to be removed! I don't want my children to read these trashy comments!

April 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Troll

I be trollin da web for young nubile men! I iz ready to party down and get bizzy with these pillow biters!! I be one big ol fruit...and do I mean big. My monster bell dwarfs my miniature peter.

April 16, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  30. jules

I wish I had a set of family jewels so I could put my hands down my pants and play with my package!

April 16, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  31. friendlyfawking

What's up with the pro tea party comments here, go fishfry at Sarah Palin rally. This blog is about a movie. Well I didn't like the first three Screams so I'm not really thrilled with another sequel. Hopefully Scary Movie 5 brings back all the cast from the first flim to parody this crap. Officer Doofy needs to vacuum his room.

April 16, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Don JJ

Yo yo yo. I like to rap and dats no lie!! I gave up all dat tasty pie! Now I just go for dudes and I aint want any prudes. When I jam it in da rear, my buddy says I shed a tear. I be sad cuz he iz cheatin, no I know he's a cretin! I iz gonna hit him with a stick and then we make up and I suk his d1@k! Gayboyz rule!! We iz fairies for life!!

April 16, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  33. jules

Of the 50+ comments here, only @10 are even about the posted story. Go away people.
    Note–jose...you posted @3:15 4/15 that it sucked. I thought it wasn't even showing until 12mid. Hmmm...

April 16, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  34. B lo me

Stopped watching after scream 2

April 16, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Troll

One dood has a lot of time on his hands. Guess he needs to do something in between furiously jacking it.

April 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Don ZZ

I am zee Don of slumber. I maxeemize me sleep by chugging massive amounts of booze and puffing da nugs! Dis helps me pass out and I iz in deep catatonic state for hours. Sometimes my roomie slips into the bed and pounds my pooper real good!! I can sleep through anything, including an ol fashion fudge packin!! See ya real soon.

April 16, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Cait

Haven't seen this movie, but I can already tell you its class A crap. Wes Craven has fallen far from awesome, has no one learned that more than two sequels is usually a terrible idea? Because the plots get ridiculous. Only exceptions for any horror movie series has been some of the Halloween movies, 5 and 6 were really good, and maybe Hellraiser. Nightmare got terrible, Hellraiser and of course Jason. Wes has resulted to doing remakes of things that were good to begin with, like "The Hills have Eyes" and "Last House on the Left", which is a better idea, but still a sell out.

April 16, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Cait

sorry, I mentioned Hellraiser in conflicting views, what I meant to say is one later sequel out of the 8 sequels they've done has been good, the rest are absolutely awful.

April 16, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Name*bigJstud

I wanna see remake of Wildthings! With Richards

April 16, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  39. ed Bailey

Seriously CNN, you let real GARBAGE past your so called moderators and most of my best comments you have junked. You really are the bottom in some aspects. Is it political. You can't find good help or fail to screen them properly. Nobody's perfect but any high school newspaper could do better!

April 16, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  40. baltmoregeorge

Too much gay testosterone in here.I was hoping we could talk about Neve Campbell, but I guess she turned you guys into keilbasa smugglers. Well, Neve, I still love ya'.

April 16, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  41. lightbulb

my stars. people are mean. we are all friends here just having fun. please dont be mean to each other. You are ALL our heros. Funny and cool !

April 16, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  42. JJ pud

Peelo. Hey peelo. Yo peelo. What up peelo

April 16, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  43. JJ jump up and pump

Peelo. Hey peelo. Yo peelo. What up peelo

April 16, 2011 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  44. Linda day

Been a fan since day 1. Can't wait 4 the new one.

April 16, 2011 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  45. JJ jump up and pump

We iz ready to pump u in da rump u chump! Let's not dump da mini-lump u call a stump! We iz plump and u iz frump(y). Let's pump it up u ho-mo freakin pillow bitin disco stick ridin gay goo slidin doof! Juicy Lucy in da chubby wubby flubby nuby!!

April 16, 2011 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
  46. Superhiro

Finally, mr Don JJ. You have caught onto my tricks. I cannot hide behind my name anymore. Zee partee is over. You and I can do some butt slammin and call it good. Our flamin lifestyle is da wave of da future. Let's just pump da rump with yo little stump and jump you chump!! I be ownin yo butt!!

April 16, 2011 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
  47. Jack D

Nev darlin, I know you read this. All big celbs do, cuz they got no lives always hiding from the paparazzi, and crazy hillbilly stalkers like my friend Bob (but i digress). Marry me girl and we can raise some fine trailer park babies, and minks or rabbits.

April 16, 2011 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  48. wow!

Someone has an ax to grind. Can't we all just get a bong? No more gay slurs or brutal battles!! Call it good and lay off the lame grade school fairy talk.

April 16, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  49. Jack D

Barf on yer lappy, ain't gonna be happy.

April 16, 2011 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  50. mystery guest

Hey Don jj. I am in NE Baltimore. Come find me and I will whip your skinny little butt. I can even meet u down at the harbor. We can gather a crowd to watch u get hammered on and then u be cryin like a little fairy.

April 16, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  51. Don JJ

See ya tomorrow u little fairies! I iz already in bed with my butt buddy and we iz pounding da chute. I be walkin bowlegged for a week now. Thus, it will be hard to follow up on my threats.

April 16, 2011 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  52. Don JJ

I love to pound da rear, I don't ever live in fear. I just wanna play with dongs and that why I sing this song. All my life I be a fruit. Not I just wanna toot!! I schlob da knob daily and when u be a ho-mo I go to show a blow mo

April 16, 2011 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  53. Don JJ

I make ho-mo threats

April 16, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  54. Don JJ

Good night. To all a gay flight.

April 16, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  55. Don JJ

Yo yo yo. I be a ho. I am a ho-mo. I love to go in slo-mo. I love da beefy injection into my poop chute! I just wanna see more of dat tiny 3" donger in me pooper!!

April 16, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  56. Beautiful Vixen

Oh come on guys, stop picking on Superhiro. He is a nice person. Well good night and enjoy your weekend.

April 16, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  57. Deacon Magruder

WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!!

April 16, 2011 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  58. Beautiful Vixen

Lol..Superhiro they keep telling you to go back to work.

April 15, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Superhiro

FUNGA ALAFIA ASHAY ASHAY SHAY!! FUNGA ALAFIA ASHAY ASHAY SHAY!! FUNGA ALAFIA ASHAY ASHAY SHAY!! FUNGA ALAFIA ASHAY ASHAY SHAY!! FUNGA ALAFIA ASHAY ASHAY SHAY!! FUNGA ALAFIA ASHAY ASHAY SHAY!! FUNGA ALAFIA ASHAY ASHAY SHAY!! FUNGA ALAFIA ASHAY ASHAY SHAY!! FUNGA ALAFIA ASHAY ASHAY SHAY!! FUNGA ALAFIA ASHAY ASHYA SHAY!! FUNGA ALAFIA ASHAY ASHAY SHAY!! AFRICA!! BOOM BOOM AFRICA!!!!

April 15, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Superhiro

What do ya know, a preschool level insult. How predictable

April 15, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Superzero

I am a defender of freaks and losers. I stand up for the burnouts and bums. I want to ensure freedom and the American way for the dirtbags and losers of society. I will stand up for their rights!!

April 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  62. judgenot

Yall nasty nobody wants hear that mess

April 15, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Superhiro

Yea... do you really think people can't tell when you impersonate other posters? It's sooooooooo obvious.

April 15, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  64. My2Cents

You iz all stupid but I iz dumb too. I can't spell and failed basic grammar lessins. I put down "sight" instead of "site" when referring to this blog above. Thus, yes I admit that I am a fool and a fairy! I love to take big dongs in da pooper!!

April 15, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  65. georghalee

Marry me woman wowwowow

April 15, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Catz Meow

Looking for Cat Tree look no further we provide the best quality product at wholesale prices.

November 22, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  66. Muriel Labello

Well that movie was scary especially when I was a kid and Wes Craven is a great producer, check out this scary movie where everyone in this small town goes insane

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJGachsPnk&w=640&h=390]

April 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  67. My2Cents

YOU ARE ALL STUPID !

April 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  68. jose

The movie sucked, don't see it

April 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trisha

How did it suck???? Really though, how? I loved it. It was slightly different from the other Scream movies, just the way Wes Craven wanted it. It really surprised and shocked me the most at the end on who the killer is in Scream 4, compared to the other Scream movies. It was quite funny at the end too.

April 17, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJ

I loved it also. I'd say part 4 was the 2nd best of the franchise, with the original taking the lead, of course.

April 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  69. My2Cents

At least 2 people work, here on this sight! Incredible comments here.

April 15, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Superhiro

I liked the first Scream, but I don't really trust this film anymore than I did the other 2 sequels.

April 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  71. BILLY RAY

I not a nerd ! I am a big stong man that drives a tractor trailer truck ! I even got me a wife named Darlene and some beers.

April 15, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Babiyaga

They see you trollin, they HATIN, patrollin tryin to catch you white and nerdy!

April 15, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  73. DaQWUAN

Nurrr. She needuh be comin home wif me. She can gets sum dis fried cheeeekin and callord greens. Mayb sum orange drank and funyons. We gunna be drunks on luv. furreal.

April 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  74. BILLY RAY

naw. she needs to be a callin me. Darlene ll be at her maws this evenin. I got purt near half a bottle of jack plus some tomater biskits. tomater biskits is some good eatin.

April 15, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  75. missippi

. . . . well, part of a case of beer. I drunked some of em this mornin.

April 15, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  76. missippi

WOOOOOOOO she is one a them purty girls. I wunder if she has a date tonite ? I got a case of beer and some marlboro smokes if she aint got nuthin to do this weekend.

April 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |