So what does Susan Lucci have to say about this?
April 14th, 2011

So what does Susan Lucci have to say about this?

After ABC announced on Thursday that it will cancel its long-running soap operas “All My Children” and “One Life to Live,” people have reacted with varying degrees of sadness, disappointment and outrage.

The fans are plotting boycotts, former stars are stunned and script writers are feeling a little slighted.

The Writer’s Guild East, which represents movie, TV and news writers, issued a statement expressing "deep disappointment" that “AMC” and “OLTL” are on the way out.

"These groundbreaking shows have provided entertainment and enlightenment to millions of viewers, and have provided good employment to dozens of talented, dedicated writers,” the statement reads. “We urge the company to reconsider."

Kelly Ripa, now co-host of “Live! With Regis and Kelly” (which is going through its own changes), starred as Hayley on “All My Children” for years, along with her now-husband Mark Consuelos.

"This is like losing a member of your family,” Ripa says in a statement. “‘All My Children’ was more than a job.– it was my family. It was there that I met my husband; it was there when my first two children were born; it was there where I met many of my life-long friends. It was the greatest training ground ever. I feel heart sick."

Meanwhile, former “One Life to Live” actor Nathan Fillion tweeted, "A moment of silence for a disappearing genre. OLTL & AMC, we'll miss your hard work and talent."

Although there were whispers that “AMC” was going to get the axe, fan favorite Susan Lucci still sounded hopeful over the past few weeks.

"We'll see," the Daytime Emmy winner said on “Good Morning America” of the speculation. "As long as we have these loyal, passionate fans in our corner - including Oprah [Winfrey], who had us on just a few weeks ago for her final season."

But it looks like not even the devotion of fans (or Oprah) could save Erica Kane.

“It saddens me that ‘All My Children is canceled,’” Lucci tweeted. “I've loved playing Erica Kane and working with Agnes Nixon & the incredible people at AMC.”

Filed under: television

1. Margiemovie

I cannot begin to tell you of the many many years of entertainment these two ground breaking shows ,All My Children and One Life to Live,have given me.Beginning in the late 1960s when I was in and out of the hospital as a child.All through high school and college. I would try to arrange my classes around these programs since that was pre vcr and dvr.The number of college students in the tv lounge watching the soaps might amaze the sponsers who want to cancel them. tsk tsk. You are throwing away two classics for the mindless dribble of reality tv.

April 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. love lost

They're killing us. The loyal fans. What did we do that was so wrong? So we record and watch – we watch – everyday we view All My Children. We talk about it, we get miffed at the bad scrips, love the good scripts – but we watch it... all the time... This is the death of TV. total disregard for the audience.

April 18, 2011 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. jsparks

this is just sorry for abc to cancel amc and oltl they arew crazy1!1111111

April 17, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Theresa Johnson

STOP THE MADNESS. AND RESUME MY SOAPS.....I DON'T WATCH REALITY SHOWS, I DON'T DVR, I WATCH ON THE INTERNET. SO STOP THIS NOW.....;( OR CHANGE THE TIME SLOT, PUT IT ON IN THE EVENING WHEN I AM HOME AND CAN SIT DOWN WITH A SNACK AND WATCH. MOST WOMEN HAVE HAD TO JOIN THE WORKFORCE AND RECORD, WHATS WRONG WITH ABC? I MAY BOYCOTT IT ALL TOGETHER. MY BUSY SCHEDULE I WILL PROBABLY BOYCOTT THE ONLY OTHER PROGRAM I WATCH DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

April 16, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. liv

I'm such a huge lucci fan I feel bad. I really hope they don't cancel days of our live I grew up with it. My favorite character is that witch kate.

April 16, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. pamela Johnson

If they take them off I will not watch ABC or the Soap Channel and I will get my DVR taken out I had it for one reason and one reason only, So how do you think that's going to make the Cable companies feel when we all get this taken out. ABC should have to pay for ever DVR returned to the cable companies, I'm tired of the TV station telling me what I'm going to watch . If they but another talk show or judge show I just go to cable. I want watch any of those channels.!!!!!!!!!!!

April 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Peace

What a shame! "Erica" even took a pay cut to help keep AMC on the air. As soon as it's off the air, I'm afraid I'll block that channel from my tv. We don't deserve our shows, they don't deserve our ratings! Shame on you !

April 16, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kjd5966

I will have no reason to watch ABC daytime after these two shows go off the air. Nothing interests me currently and the reported shows that will take over those time slots already bore me..............just hearing about them.

April 16, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sheryl

I have watched 'All My Children" forever. I have always wanted to meet Susan Lucci. It just won't be the same without those soap operas.

April 16, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. madhater

I would bang the sh!t out of Lucci.

April 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ann R. Key

A good way to put pressure on ABC would be to e-mail or call the sponsors of AMC & OLTL and threaten to boycott their products once these shows have ended (or even right now!) If all ABC cares about is their profit$$$ let them and their advertisers know they'll be seeing a lot le$$ of them!

April 15, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Geri

The only show I will be watching on abc is General Hospital. abc has no loyality to its daytime fans! I will not tune in
    on any primetime abc show again! Don't the head honchos know how many people record and watch AMC and
    ONE LIFE TO LIVE? I hope another network is smart enough to pick the shows up. How about Soap network during
    primetime?

April 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. imeanwhat

Susan Lucci IS All My Children. As a teenager I used to skip school and break into my own house just to catch a glimpse of Pine Valley. What lengths would you go to to watch your favorite soap opera? http://bit.ly/e2liwh

April 15, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. Richard

These shows have served a purpose and shouldn't be axed for what appears to be "acts of stupidity" on behalf of their respective network. I can recall watching the soap operas many times over the years, but haven't been able to recently due to work commitments. I do record these shows when possible for later viewing. One thing the networks should realize is that not everyone is on the reality TV bandwagon. It is a passing fancy that shouldn't be continued but has given too much consideration because of its cost effective nature on the networks over-worked budget. But I ask you this: Why cancel a show that people actually watch for something that no one will? How many shows must you cancel before you realize you made a horrible mistake and must try to make it right? Your only creating a major problem that you as a network will not going to get out of very easily. The public “will” have their say in this, eventually!

April 15, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jeepers

How good does Susan Lucci STILL look? She's amazing.

April 15, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • William

I just wonder how many more husbands Erica Kane can get in before the show ends?.....great lady ...great part...fun just fun

April 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jan

DON'T change the channel now. The shows need our support still by watching and coming together to save these shows somehow by contacting the exectives of ABC Daytime. If there truly is no way to save these shows and they go off the air, that is the time to tell the network how we feel ... take our viewer numbers and advertising dollars elsewhere. If cancellation comes to pass, I can only hope that CBS, NBC, or even FOX picks these shows up ... and that viewers go right along with the shows!! Other shows are saved; these can be, too!!

April 15, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  17. yankeetexan

oprah network should pick up these shows!!!

April 15, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  18. patti

I am so saddened to hear amc is being cancelled. I have been with the show since the beginning. I look forward to it everyday. My sister and daughter watch it too and we have dicussions about it. The show covers real life problems and has helped many people. I am in shock that ABC will be taking this wonderful show off. I hope another network will pick this one up as many many fans will be truly dissappointed! THANK-YOU to all the writers and actors for a wonderful show for all these years.

April 15, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  19. Effen Idiots!

@Sharon from Carrollton TX: you have watched up to 10 soaps? No wonder your husband left you! Did no laundry, cooked no supper, just boo-hoo in front of the tv all day. Yep! that's living!

April 15, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  20. melissa

I cant believe this.They are going to cancel two shows that have been watched and love by so many. Now we get to watch cooking shows what the crap is that. this is awfull. They say its be cause less views,and ratings? well i tell u something we do watch theses shows. They have been a round since befor i was born i was brought up watching these two soaps. Sometimes I record them so I can watch them when I get home. I can't believe this. Im sad to know that they are caneling the show. :(

April 15, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Gail

I am one that raised my family on both these shows..I am sick about losing them,not only for myself,nation,&the actors that enlightened our lives with their dedication to giving us their best performances&hearts. I think that their should be a protest against ABC for their non-rational thinking ..who needs more garbage (as replaceal) for their favorite shows?? Please reply..

April 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jo Ann y

I will sadly miss all my children and the many excellent actors and acxtresses. It is the only tv show I watch all day. I look forward to it like I look forward to my children coming to a visit. I love susan lucci, the new ones kara and her brother the doctor and I truly miss zach and I have always missed dimitri and the story line with erica kane. I do not think I have ever missed a show. How can a good show leave and then all this trash that we have on tv stay.

April 15, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  22. missippi

I heard she said she has to do number 2. mooooooookiestinks !

April 15, 2011 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  23. Effen Idiots!

Soaps are trash. I have seen the weepy stupor that females go into while watching "my stories". Then they compare their real life to the soap and they're more unhappy. Soaps generate sales on anti-depressants. The drug companies are gonna be the big losers when these women realize their depression was caused by their "stories"!

April 15, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  24. Ricky

They should bring back Ricki Lake. I loved that fat bitoch. She can sit on me face anytime

April 15, 2011 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
  25. Tiny Tim

I WOULD LOVE TO BUT MY WEE WEE IN THE GOO

April 15, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  26. ty

Lets all have a sing along and play with the clown and kis! That should be good..huh?

April 15, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  27. Beautiful Vixen

Take up bingo and kitting. Hear is a thought..put on some heavy metal music and bang your head with it..lol. Here is yet another one...instead of bothering your new neighbor when she moves in and "not ask" but SAY to me you now have someone to take out your garbage, why don't you wheel your lazy azz out the door and do yourself. Like I'm that nice. Please if you have limps and wheels (wheelchair) and you can move your arms, then do it yourself.

April 15, 2011 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  28. Beautiful Vixen

Oh please get a life. These soaps are stupid and is the same old same old. Kill someone and a year later they are back in the picture. Who is having an affair with another..etc. Please go out and get some sunlight. Hmm maybe that's why some of you made it up in your your demented stupid heads that you are bipolar. You live your lives behind a tv screen and pretend it's your life because you have none.

April 15, 2011 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  29. Iamtheboss

I realize it may be difficult for some to understand what these shows mean to others, but you might want to be careful of how you voice your opinion. Some of us older people who watched these shows may be the same ones who sign your paychecks! Life wasn't "passing me by" when I spent a couple of hours watching shows that were like a never ending book, I was also establishing a successful business. The point of these posts are that ABC is going to lose millions of customers for their advertisers, and that is a big deal.

April 15, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  30. Sharon from Carrollton TX

I am sadden and disappointed to say the least! I've watched both shows since 1972! I've met some of the stars in person, written fan mail, etc. I certainly hope that ABC will reconsider! These are by far the best two soaps on the television networks.....and I've watched up to 10 of them! These are the only two I have stuck by! Please ABC don't do this! PS......I hate reality shows and heard that reality shows would replace these......What a mistake that is!

April 15, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  31. Anti M.

I think it's terrible the shows are being axed. I haven't enjoyed anything on ABC for years except Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Now, I don't think I'll watch them. ABC is the Biggest Loser of alltime. Thanks Disney.

April 15, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  32. Misty

How many talk and food shows do we need? Cancel some other show and leave All My Children and One Life to Live on. The programing for regular cable is just getting bad....and the worse part is now we're paying for it.

April 15, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  33. Beautiful Vixen

Lol..Soap Operas. No one ever dies in these things...they always come back like a bad Steven King's novel/movie. I used to watch Days Of Our Lives and its the same old same old. Kill off someone and a year later..there he is again..lol.Not one kill but multi...lol

April 15, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  34. SELENE W

I REALLY HATE TO SEE THE SHOWS GO AWAY. BUT LETS FACE IT, THE WRITERS SUCK. FAN FOR 21 YRS.

April 15, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  35. huh?

Hey spoiler alert, how can u call all these people losers? So they watch a soap, do you watch any tv? Geeez, your life must be so full cause you didn't watch 1 or 2 hrs of tv. Whatever, who's the loser here??? Sorry to all of you folks losing your shows. Yup, that sucks!!

April 15, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  36. Sandie

I can't believe that ABC does not realize how important AMC and OLTL are to their fans and to their ratings. We have watched both these programs for most of our lives. They have been a family tradition and will surely be missed. If ABC doesn't reconsider their decision or another channel take over these two programs, then I don't see any reason for watching ABC, SoapNet, or even having cable anymore. I record AMC, OLTL, & GH, on a daily basis. If this really happens I won't be watching, GH, The Bachelor, Dancing With The Stars, or any other program on ABC. Thank you AMC and OLTL, and the actors and actresses that have shared so much of their lives with us. We love you and will miss you for the rest of our lives. Times are really tough right now and this sure makes it even harder to bear. My prayers and thoughts will be with you, your families, and all the families affected by this decision.

April 15, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  37. spoiler alert

"They were always in tune with the real world"????? Give me a phuckin' break! I'm laughing so hard at you losers who spent 40 years keeping up with the drama of actors while real life passed you by! ROTFLMFAO!

April 15, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
    • lorese1182

Duh, you can watch TV for a couple of hours a day and not have life pass you by!!! Most viewers work and RECORD the shows for later viewing or on weekends like myself!1 How much time do YOU spend on watching TV? And is life passing YOU by, while you're doing it???

April 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  38. AK Lisa

This is a mistake, I beg ABC to reconsider, if you think AMC fans will watch your stupid Chew or any other show, you're delusional! Don't cancel it!!!!

April 14, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Dorothy Derr

I, personally, do not feel there will be much of an audience for the new programs planned to replace our
    beloved soaps. You believe "All My Children" and "One Live to Live" are not making enough money for you.
    I think by replacing them you are in for a rude awakening!!

Please reconsider!

Dorothy Derr, Mount Clemens, MI

April 14, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evel Knievel

Dorothy, do you realize no one but Internet trolls read these forums? No one here cares about how much you love these soaps.

April 14, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Sharon

I have been a loyal fan of AMC for over 35 years. The last day of All My Children will be the last time I watch anything on ABC..... It is so disappointing how daytime tv is being being bombarded with food, talk, and medical shows..enough is enough. I personally don't enjoy those shows. By canceling AMC you will be taking the enjoyment and entertainment that I anxiously look forward to from Monday – Friday. Your decision to cancel will also have negative impact on SoapNet channel because I will cancell that as well. As a result of your decision to cancel AMC and OLTL and replacing them with "Chew" and "Revolutionary" your ratings are going to plummet ...... you have alot of disappointed and sad fans.

April 14, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Phyllis O.

ABC You are making a very big mistake in canceling these shows. Evidently you have no idea what a following these two shows have with viewer audience. Many of us record these shows and have been watching and enjoying them for years . I hope another network will be smart enough to pick them up. I have no interest in your food show or the other one and you can bet I will not be tuned in. I hope your sponsors are exhibiting there dislike of your actions and will with draw from ABC.

April 14, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue crye

I totally agree with your statement. Susan Lucci showed her class by taking a pay cut and moving to LA in order for the show to continue and was stabbed in the back by the network. If they discontinue General Hospital, there will be nothing left on ABC worth watching. This move by ABC programming shows how out of touch with their fan base they really are. They deserve to lose their advertisers.

April 15, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  42. xfm

Soaps are good training for actors. Here are some movie actors, who worked on soaps:
    Halle Berry
    George Clooney
    Meg Ryan
    Kevin Bacon
    Heath Ledger
    ...and many more.

April 14, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Glennie

These two shows are the only daytime TV, I watch. If they are cancelled, I hope another network will pick them up. I have enjoyed watching. I hope ABC will reconsider, these two soaps help me get through the day.

April 14, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  44. janet

It is the end of the world!!!!!!! this is Crazy no more Lucci I cant believe this???

April 14, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  45. No more talk, reality all those DUMB shows

Ok, there are alot of other channels I do not watch becasue of talk and or reality shows. I guess I can put ABC in this category. I have no reason ever to watch ABC> I enjoyed the soap operas. They always were in tune with the real world. Sorry for your loss ABC, because you just lost another viewer. You want twenty something viewers, well you got it. It is the babyboomers who have the money and time. Hopefully another chanel will pick up the soaps and I will switch to that channel.

April 14, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Viewer since 74

No idea have they figure viewers, since most of us record and watch in the evening. To Hmmmm, I with you. I have been an ABC viewer 98% of the time. Cable, CBS and NBC are looking like the NEW stations in his New whole of entertainment. Crash and burn ABC.. but after September!

April 14, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  47. ANDREA PIERCE

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT......I GREW UP WITH ERICA CANE....MY CHILDREN GREW UP WITH THE SHOW. IT IS THE ONE HOUR I GIVE MYSELF IN THE AFTERNOON. I HAVE NO REASON TO WATCH ABC IF THEY TAKE OFF OUR FAVORITE SOAPS.....I THINK SOME OTHER STATION SHOULD PICK THEM UP....THEN WE CAN ALL GO TO A NEW NETWORK. IT WORKED FOR CONAN O'BRIAN WHEN THERE WAS THE ISSUE WITH JAY LENO.....SOME OTHER NETWORK HEAR OUR CRYS. PICK UP OUR SHOWS AND WELL PICK YOU ON OUR CHANNEL CHANGER!!!!!.....SHAME ON YOU ABC, YOUR NOT LISTENING TO YOUR PUBLIC. THERE ARE STILL LOTS OF WOMEN THAT ARE RETIRED OR AT HOME IN THE DAYTIME. OTHERS ARE RECORDING THE SHOWS.....YOU HAVE MADE A BIG MISTAKE YOU LET DOWN YOUR PUBLIC DOWN. YOUR SPONSORS SHOULD CANCEL BECAUSE I FOR ONE WILL NOT BE WATCHING WHEN AMC IS GONE.

April 14, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Hmmm...

I've already vented on the last blog w/ the bad news, so I won't go there again. We all could show ABC a thing or two. If it's all about ratings, well, just switch all our stations tomorrow. Nobody on their station, all at the same time...hmmm... The public can speak without saying a word! Make sense?

April 14, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Frances Brantley

I am really upset and sorry to out today that All my Children and one life To Live will be cancled for some stupid talk shows I raised my kids watching thes shows I've called my cable company and also contacted the Nealson rateings I wish I knew what to do stop the cancelation of these shows.

April 14, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  50. maudia

I was so shocked to hear they are being cancelled. I to have recorded these soaps for years. Is there anyone out there that can picked them up? They are like family! I am in tears and will miss them terribly!!! Please don't cancel them.

April 14, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  51. tricia

I will miss them.

April 14, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  52. ANNIE THIEL

CAN'T LET ONE LIFE TO LIVE AND ALL MY CHILDREN GET BURRIED. IN THE GRAVE. I ALREADY LOST TWO SHOWS ALREADY WHO'S THE BOSS AND HOLLYWOOD SQUARES. I HAVE TO SAY BACK IN 2000 HAD THE BEST STORY LINES. AND GOOD ACTORS AND ACTRESSES LIKE JASON SHANE SCOTT. MAYBE YOU CAN MAKE AN SPECIAL REQUST. MAYBE PUT ONE LIFE TO LIVE OR ALL MY CHILDREN AS AN SPECIAL EPSOID. LIKE FEB 14 2012. THESE SOAPS GETS ME DOWN IN MY HEART. ROBERT S. WOODS IS ONE OF THE MOST FAVORITES AND SO ERIN TORPEY AND BREE WILLIAMSON. I LOVE JERRY VERN DORN AND EVERY BODY ELSE. THINK WHAT CLINT RICHIE AND PHIL CAREY WOULD SAY RIGHT NOW.

April 14, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Susan Lucci

Someone stole my daytime Emmy... .

April 14, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Superhiro

Even though I never ever watched this show, it really does feel like the end of an era or something. I feel bad for their fans.

April 14, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |