Sign snafus on 'Modern Family'
April 14th, 2011

Sign snafus on 'Modern Family'

Wednesday night's episode of "Modern Family" had a bit of a theme going.

It all started with Phil's real estate sign going horribly awry as it wrapped around the Dunphy family van to say "I can't be satisfied" with Claire's photo, and "I can make your dreams come true" next to Haley's.

Needless to say, Phil did whatever he could to cover it up, and it blew up in his face. Haley vowed that she wouldn't go home in the van: "I'll go home with anyone!" to which Alex chimed in, "That's what it should say on the van."

Indeed, congrats to Ariel Winter, this week's MVP for having some great lines, including, "Has anyone here ever seen a globe?" while watching Cam's disastrous school play (a bit reminiscent of Tobias on "Arrested Development," but we'll let that slide). It was about traveling the world, and ended up with Luke left hanging.

Mitchell saw this coming, of course, and said to himself what he wished he could have said to Cam: "No intermission! What, are we animals?"

Cam tried to salvage the show with a pep talk for the kids, as well: "Sing your hearts out! Not you, sweetie, just mouth the words."

It ended with a flourish, as the kids' sign that was supposed to say "We love the World" ended up as "We love the F Word."

Unfortunately, Jay's brother coming to visit and announcing he had cancer just didn't work for me, or this particular episode. Despite the great one-liners (which this show excels at week after week), the episode as a whole wasn't my favorite, either (though still better than the new series that followed, "Happy Endings" - how many friend/relationship series does that make since January?)

What did you think about last night's show? Did you enjoy it more than I did, or are you hoping next week's is better? Share your view on iReport, or comment below.

(P.S.: It's four, by my count.)

1. The Guy

In the first season I kept expecting JAY to act like Al Bundy, so i was often surprised when he had to amke a choice and picked the opposite one Al would have picked. But the part where he sets up the breakable couch for his brother, but int he shock of learning his brothers illness sits on the couch himself... that was classic. I actually forgot about the couch until it broke.

April 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kristen

I thought that the canceer story line was spot on. Let's not forget whose show this is. It is all about Jay. Gloria is making him into the better man he should have been all along. Early on I actually began to believe that she married him for love. His relationship with his kids, grandkids and ex-wife have all improved so it was definitely time to get to the brother. You know, the brother that called him on his birthday to remind Jay that he was the same age as their father when he died. This ep was a nice conclusion to the Hawaii episode for Jay.

April 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. drex

I think the article's author was saying the plot of the show was reminiscent of Tobias's disastrous staging of Romeo and Juliet or whatever it was. Where Maeby only does the show to kiss Steve Holt... Those chicken dances changed my life. I also loved when Lucille would do her creepy wink, like at the bottle of pills she then washed down with a Martini at 9am. I miss that show, reminded me of my family SO much.

April 18, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bear

It wasn't Tobias in Arrested Development, it was Michael, assuming this is the line in question: "Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?"

April 18, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Gabe

Oh man, Bear! Hilarious. I haven't thought about all those chicken dances since arrested development was on. So funny. Good memory.

April 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabe

Kah ka kah ka KAh!

April 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stan

Michael did say that, but Tobias was in charge of Maybe's school play, a al Cam.

April 19, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Apple6

"We Love The F Word" was one of my favorite things!

April 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. liv

I <3 dis episode n alex is ma fav also btr with u is awsum

April 16, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Umm...?

Please try to ACTUALLY type out the words I think you're trying to type. Since you're probably heavily influenced by your peers, I'll try this angle, too: "Everybody's doing it."

April 30, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hillman

I thought this was a great show. The cancer line didn't distract me too much.

I also liked Happy Endings. The second episode was better than the first. Looks like once they flesh the characters out it has real potential.

I particularly really like the fact that they have a gay character that isn't stereotypically gay. That's a huge step forward, both in terms of watchability and likability.

I like Modern Family a lot, but sometimes I do cringe at the portrayal of the gay couple. I'm gay, and I do know gay men that are that fussy, but I also know far more that are not, and we 'average' gays really don't get portrayed much on TV.

So thank you ABC for that portrayal.

April 16, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • tcp

Lighten up, Francis! It's a COMEDY! There are MANY, MANY gays on network television today who are depicted as you describe.

April 21, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • cricketmk3

The gay couple would not be as funny if they were portrayed any other way. My favorite is Cameron...he is the more flamboyant of the two but I like Mitchell as well. Lily is very cute but not very animated like the baby on Raising Hope...I love that baby (babies?)!

April 21, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Randy

Having a good sense of humor starts with the ability to laugh at ourselves. Would Lilly's scene of being photographed dressed as Carmine Miranda been nearly as funny if she had been conventionally dressed? Lighten up.

April 23, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. la

I thought Happy Endings was actually pretty funny – way better than Better With You – ugh

And I agree – this episode has some great moments (Sondheim-ized!!? hahahahah) but the brother-cancer story-line was awful and eesh – how many episodes are they going to do about the lack of communication between the male members of the show. This time is was Jay and his brother, before it was Jay and Phil, then Jay and Mitchell, the Phil and his dad (Fred Willard)...sheesh

But still – the best show on TV right now...

April 15, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Brock

The "Sondheimized" crack ruined the whole show for me. It would have been crude in any instance, but he was talking about "Sondheimizing" children, for God's sake, and that just made it repugnant. I'm gay, but I may never watch the show again.

April 22, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. ronbaltimore

I agree-the cancer-survivor angle was out of place here, placed so close to the children-centric story lines (both Haley's minivan-monster nightmare and the school musical). And, intentionally or not, the appearance of the brother was too discordant: he didn't look, talk, or act like Jay, yet they were only two years apart. Really? It spoiled the two other, absolutely outstanding, story lines. The cancer would have been more effectively worked into the camping trip episode, a "guy" kind of outing with Jay and Mitchell and Manny trying to bond. There, it would have had more impact.

April 15, 2011 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Liz

I love Modern Family. Every episode has my husband and I laughing. I wish the network would run more 1st run episodes.

April 14, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Amy

I liked the line Jay had to Gloria- "That's why Columbia is such a peaceful utopia." Greatness!

April 14, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sean

A lot of times I have to watch an episode of Modern Family twice just because I miss certain things from laughing so much. Last night's was very funny, particularly the "I can't be satisfied" gag . I agree, Alex was this week's MVP; her comedic timing is spot on. Overall, I was pleased with the episode and can't wait for more laughs!

April 14, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • ronbaltimore

All the kids' timing is terrific! While Haley is 20 years old in real life, the others are only 11 and 13. I now spot them in commercials now and then; experienced professionals already. Talent, heart, real-a great way to round up the adult pros-

April 15, 2011 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. B lo me

Why isnt katy sagell the jilted ex wife

April 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. hummm

gabby u suck!

April 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gabby

oooh goody i get to be first; but I can't think of anything witty: DAMN!

April 14, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |