'Idol' Top 8 bring it on movie night
April 13th, 2011

'Idol' Top 8 bring it on movie night

9:22 p.m. – Here we go again.

James is refusing to listen to Jimmy because he knows what is best for himself as an artist.

I'm sorry, how many records have you sold James?

He follows his heart and goes with "Heavy Metal" from the film of the same name. He goes so far as to stand up on the judges table while he is performing. This kid has got some serious chutzpah.

The performance was loud, and James hits his infamous high notes. He gave it his all, and Zakk Wylde on the guitar was all that and a bag of chips.

I have to say one of my favorite things about James' entire segment was Will.I.Am. nailing his impersonation of Iovine. That made me giggle.

9:10 p.m. – Hank Azaria, Rob Reiner and Elvira are in the audience.

I love the randomness every week.

And OMG, I love how Jimmy Iovine keeps it so real. He takes Jacob to task for "preaching" to the viewers with his "If I end up in the bottom three speech" from last week, and I fully support him.

It had to be said to Mantasia.

Jimmy also says Jacob doesn't need to be corny and suggests he sing "Bridge Over Troubled Water." Come on now! Jacob was born to sing that song, and he blows it up.

This time around, Tyler gets bleeped with his comments. Amazing voice and an awesome Mantasia finish with the last notes.

Love him. Love, love, love him.

9 p.m. – Haley chooses Blondie's "Call Me." I forgot that song was in the movie "American Gigolo. "

Again, I don't get this girl. To rip off a phrase from Randy, "It was just a-ight for me."

Randy did love it either. Steven didn't either, but he manages to make a joke about looking up her dress. I wouldn't be mad if Haley was in the bottom three this week.

8:58 p.m. - Casey is tearful about standing his ground. Hope that works out for him.

8:46 p.m. – Casey is going to regret not listening to Jimmy, I think.

He decides to sing "Nature Boy" instead on "In the Air Tonight" because he doesn't want to "lose himself as an artist."

When will these people learn?

You don't sing a song just cause you love it. He gets a standing ovation from the judges, but I don't know if the voters are going to get it. It was a lovely jazz performance, but I don't know if it will play as well as he was feeling it.

The judges are trying really hard to make the case that he is an "artist." Randy says, "The world cannot live by pop stars alone."

Tell that to the charts Dawg.

And before you start roasting me, I love Casey. I really do. But our "American Idol" has to be versatile and wiling to stop outside of the comfort zone. I'm looking at both of you, Casey and Scotty.

8:41 p.m. – OK, so the throwing the spotlight on Jennifer and playing "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" is clearly going to be a running gag all night.

She brings up that everyone wants the judges to be tough, but the contestants this season are so good. Yeah, I think that's a cop-out.

Not a single one of them is a professional, and they all could do with some constructive criticism. This is what makes fans miss Simon. He was brutal at times, but he spoke truth and gave guidance.

8:36 p.m. – Scotty needs to stop holding that mic like a flute.

He is singing "Cross My Heart" from the film "Pure Country." Of course he is.

He originally was going to sing "Everybody's Talking," and Jimmy thinks he should have stuck with that. But our boy stays in his country lane.

And of course it's good cause it's Scotty. But I'm not really feeling any growth with this kid. Someone just give him a Nashville contract already and be done with it please.

8:24 p.m. - Stefano says he is focused on being a great performer.

You are going to have to keep your eyes open then Boo.

Will.I.Am is all about the drama saying Stefano is all in agony after last week's elimination. He picks "End of the Road" by Boyz II Men from "Boomerang." Love that movie and the song.

I'll say this about Stefano: That kid is scrappy. He sings his heart out, and it's his best performance yet during the competition, I think. So good that Jen has to be bleeped in her comments.

Someone hand her Tyler's curse bubble please.

8:14 p.m. – Jimmy tells Lauren that she's a much stronger singer than Miley Cyrus.

Well, duh!

She chooses to sing Cyrus' "The Climb," and Jimmy tells her she is in a perfect position to grab the Pia votes. Wow, that's hardcore. I do appreciate how he advises her that there is no way she can let folks say she didn't sing the song as well as Miley.

Will.I.Am launches into some Paula Abul-like speech about how she can get Pia's fans and sell them anything be it cupcakes or pasta. Huh?

Lauren sings the song really well, and J-Lo tells her she doesn't need to steal anyone's votes. Steven Tyler sort of confirms that Lauren was the one he referring to when on her audition day he thought they may have found this year's "American Idol." She moves him beyond tears he says.

Nice shot of Lauren's mama with her big hair.

8:04 p.m. – First up is Paul, who is singing Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock & Roll" from "Risky Business." I am officially freaked out because I just used that song as the opening for my story on why we love singing competition reality shows.

I feel like Paul and I are vibing! Except, I don't love his performance. I dug the chick on the sax, but his singing – not so much.

And "Idol" loves them some Will.I.Am because he is back AGAIN in the studio with Jimmy offering tips. But back to Paul and his singing. The judges seemed to have enjoyed it, and Paul is all toothy grin.

Seacrest says if you liked "sax with Paul," you should vote for him. *Groan*

8:02 p.m. – Ryan congrats Jennifer on being named most beautiful by People magazine and Marc Anthony looks so proud!

8 p.m. – Does everyone have their popcorn ready for movie- themed night?

This is one of my favorite "Idol" evenings, and I look forward to seeing what everyone sings.

We're treated to a replay of last week's dramatic elimination (cue Randy yelling "Noooooooo), which included J-Lo in tears over Pia. We are off and running!

1. Mark S

Lauren is young and very talented with star potential. (Carrie Underwood like.)
    Paul needs to sing softer songs like James Blunt "Beautiful" he is a stylized singer but won't win.
    Jacob has great pipes but is too dramatic. Every time he sings I feel like I'm in church. (not matter what song.0
    Casey has a cool jazzy sound but needs to ease up on the grunts and focus on a smoother delivery
    Haley has to go period. The growling in every song is overdone and she can't hold a note to save her life
    Stefano has mad talent. With the right material he will do well.
    Scotty – County Crooner – sounds good but has no diversity. He will sell records but he won't last long.
    James is a great performer. I did enjoy the softer side of him a couple of weeks ago. Looking for more from him.

Bottom 3 Haley, Paul, Jacob. Haley please go home.

April 14, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. E-R

Scotty is too retaaarded for me His voice is just rediculous. GOMER PYLE ANYONE ? Or more accurately dooodooo pile.

April 14, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

Alfred E. Neuman needs to go HOME. He's a slimy, one trick pony...and that "one trick" isn't even that good.

April 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Crys

People are really being too hard on Casey. I have to admit that I really love jazz music, and I love seeing it on "Idol." He didn't make it as far as he did singing just pop songs. The problem with AI is how they try to turn out cookie-cutter pop artists. People like James and Casey know who they are, and I'm glad they don't want to compromise themselves just to make some suits happy. Even if Casey goes home, he does have a career in jazz. There are people like Norah Jones and Michael Buble out there who don't just stick to the cookie-cutter image, and their records sell just fine.

April 14, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tully

This Season there are themes (Elton John, Birth Year, Movies, etc.) but no specific genres (Pop, Country, Rock, etc.) every week so we don't get to see how each contestant would work with an unfamiliar genre. We could detect that uneasiness among those who decided to stick with what they knew how to do best (Scotty, James and Casey). The lack of challenge, to venture outside of one's comfort zone has made the show easily entertaining like a variety show but less interesting to watch.

April 14, 2011 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
    • rustysrage

What differnce does it make? If you say next week is "Rock Week" that doesn't mean anything other than they have to select a rock song – they still sing it the way they want too!

BTW – last week was ROCK week!

April 14, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. anon

Agreed. They have become so hypocritical and random in their comments!

The Haley call out tonight was ridiculous!

And you have to love how they go crazy over Pia being all ballads and needs to connect more at times (and the latter may have been true) but well what the heck about Scotty or even Lauren then? Jacob is sometime pitchy and he always does the same thing too. And Paul has had quite a few very weak weeks and messed up pitch and this and that and they praise him for being wonderfully off! And he always sounds the same too. But then Haley has actually done totalyl different thigns at times and has started to really bring the energy and connection and wow she is who they jump on?? dawg?? what??!??

And some of the guys are starting to act like bigger divas than anyone women ever has!

April 14, 2011 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
    • AnonymousGirl

@anon – I agree also. I remember with Thia also they didn't like her doing the same ballad routine every week and switch it up. With Haley they don't like her to keep switching it up, only keep to Janice Joplin and bluesy songs. Do they even realize how much they contradict themselves with the contestants? It's sicking watching them sit at the judging panel because there are SO many other celebrities, wait not event celebrities, but MUSICIANS that can do their job a HELL OF A LOT BETTER than they can.

April 14, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
    • rustysrage

I agree that the judges are poor in their comments – they need to actually give honest opinions! Cause there's no way all of them "nailed it" last night!! However – Hailey was off last night and the comments warranted. Haley has been doing as they wanted singing bluesy and Joplin style, she was just not as good as she could have been. Pia sang ONLY ballads and never did anything upbeat, and when she did – it was bad, just bad! Thea, same thing! Scotty sings a specific genere which is what they want – they dont want – same style, thats the difference! Lauren has followed the judges advice also and has done well as a result She has sung ballads and up beat songs!

April 14, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ed

It was not Haley's best BUT by far much better than many others, The judges are starting to make me feel unconfortable (note that I love Jennifer and Steven) with their comments. How can they praise Lauren, Jacob, Casey, and even the "new" star Scotty for just regular performances? They are playing safe and get the pass, while Haley takes real risks and they almost are showing her the exit door. I liked Scotty and Lauren (same as Pia), but they are becoming boring lately. I hope Lauren returns to her first three performance style, and Haley gets the votes she deserved and be safe.

April 14, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. DFWDelia

I'm sorry but as much as I love Casey, I think he could be in trouble. "In The Air Tonight" would have been a much, much better choice I think. If it's not Casey leaving then it will probably be Paul, which would be too bad because he is a blast to watch! James was amazing as ever but more and more I see him as being the leader of a band instead of a solo pop singer. Haley is cute enough and her voice is no worse than Britney's or Gaga's and she can wear the revealing outfits and do all right I think. I wish Scotty would do something different to shock us.

April 14, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. AnonymousGirl

Honestly as much of a Lauren fan as I am, I think tonight was her worst performance yet. I could barely here her singing the song with the backgound music and singers being there. She sounded very flat also.

April 14, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. xfm

Mmm, Lauren can win if they just leave her hair and makeup ALONE! stop all the straightening and fitting and powdering and lining and primping, and just let the poor kid sing- she was born to sing

April 13, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CdnChick

The male contestants have EGOS that are soooo huge its EMBARASSING!!! I can barely watch Scotty when he sings for fear his head falls off. Jacob got served a BIG piece of Humble Pie and if James screams anymore runs. Ugh....Someone crown Lauren the winner already!

April 13, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. AnonymousGirl

The judges' panel criticing STINKS! BIG TIME! The only person they criticized tonight was Haley. I don't think her performance was the best or the worst this week, but a lot of the performances tonight weren't that great either. Pauls' performance was not good........AT ALL! Lauren was praised, but her performance was just average. Nothing worth remembering, and Scotty is NEVER called out for his same country routine every week. GROW A PAIR AND STOP PRAISING THIS MEDIOCRITY!

April 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • xrm

I totally agree. The singers don't improve, they are just coasting, because they don't have a SIMON to talk straight to them. That's what a good coach/mentor does- criticism and advice. and NONE of these judges can do it

April 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • anon

Agreed! And the one person they do toss some complaints at, Haley, has at least tried to mix things up a little at times and hasn't been so deadly boring as some of them. It's like Haley MUST do a Joplin-type song or forget it and Pia MUST not do only ballads but then heaven forbid Scotty even so much as try to make a single sound distinguishable from the week before even just in energy, anything and they go so crazy about Lauren who doesn't always seem to hit enough energy or connection or meaning but then went insane with Pia and some others for the same things. It's so random.

April 14, 2011 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. Pearl Nelson

My guesses for bottom three: Paul, Casey, Hailey with Casey gone.

April 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mimi

I agree with two but Stefano needs to go. Paul was very bad this week and if people listen to the judges like they did with Pia, Haley is in big trouble.

April 13, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Not going to happen, I though Casey was amazing and very refreshing. I've never voted in my life and I voted 20 plus times for him last night and I bet I'm not the only one. Stefano is going.

April 14, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. LoJenkins

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdV4X2M2AI&w=640&h=390]

April 13, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. adt

Two completely different performances between them, but Jacob and James were both incredible. Great song choices for both of them and both times it really showcased their vocals. Wonderful.

April 13, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hart

I don't get the Jacob thing. He sounds eerily similar to the lion from the Wizard of Oz....maybe he should've sang that song. It would have been dead on!

April 13, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Pearl Nelson

God he's good...and I hate heavy metal.

April 13, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  17. adt

Jacob was absolutely amazing. I love him more and more each and every week!!!

April 13, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. cat

what about James?

April 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. james

30 minutes in to idol, i was done, without pia, its over for me, none can perform, as she.
    I cant wait for xfactor

April 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. MissingSimon

My name says it all that I have to about tonight's show.

April 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mimi

I miss Simon too. We need some "that sounds like something you'd hear sung at a wedding" or "not only was that karaoke – that was BAD karaoke" or even "I've heard street performers sound better"!

April 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • rustysrage

You are both SO right! Unbelievable what they say to performances like Paul did! That was horrible, Bob Seager is probably getting a rope to hang by. Casey – hasn't been good since day 1!! Steven Tyler – hasn't said anything credible since the start of the season! Must be just a gimmick judge – certainly hasn't offered anything to actually help the contestants!

April 14, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  21. Pearl Nelson

Has Jacob ever heard the original?

April 13, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mimi

I think he peaked way early in the season and he hasn't impressed me since.

April 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • juliejet

Jacob's rendition was different, but still amazing. I totally agreed with what Randy said about hm.
      He is going to be a mega star (and I 'm glad he showed some humility for his gaffe last week).

April 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. AIWatcher

Hailey nailed nothing but her heel in the stage. I kept waiting for her to twist an ankle or something. She would move with her songs better if she got some lower heels

April 13, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mimi

Is it just me or do the judges say glowing things on the weak performances and criticize the perfect ones? And Scotty makes me want to GAG I DVR American Idol every week just so I can forward through his performances.

April 13, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Pearl Nelson

Geez, they praise Paul and Casey and diss Hailey? They really have lost credibility.

April 13, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Pearl Nelson

Hailey NAILS it. Good movement on stage – great presence.

April 13, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Pearl Nelson

Casey gets kicked off. Ooooph. Stop already,

April 13, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jose

survivor is on. it is better anyhows.

April 13, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ricky

Lauren didn't do as well as everyone thinks and says she did, she did far WORST. Casey so sucked, and just on principal alone he should not be left standing tomorrow night. Scotty, is so baaadd. If I were George Straight I'd be so ticked off!!!! Stefano, well he should've been gone last week. Paul is just Paul, there's not much to say.

April 13, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Pearl Nelson

I still don't get the Scotty thing. I listen to country almost exclusively and he's just smarmy and his one trick is the low notes roll. He was painful to watch.

April 13, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • rustysrage

You are obviously biased or have a hearing problem! Scotty didn't use the "low" note at all in last nights song!!! Actually, has not used it since he did Elvis. Scotty, has developed alot since Hollywood and hes range has been pointed out on several occasions by the judges!

April 14, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  29. Jose

i am not watching it anymore this season. i hope the 12 year old girls enjoy their winner

April 13, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Pearl Nelson

Paul was a snooze.

April 13, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. naz

The judges have lost all credibility. Whatever happened to constructive criticism?! Paul McDonald's singing was just terrible. Jumping around the stage doesn't make him a performer. Why can't the judges just call it like it is? Steven Tyler is a joke! Or to use his words "beyond" a joke.

April 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

J-Lo must have read your comment Naz! She referenced that everyone wants them to be tough.

April 13, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • naz

It's funny she should have said that right after I comment :=)

April 13, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sadly

though then all decide to trash Haley, who actually did well and really brought it alive, when all these other weeks there are so many things they could have gotten into with various contestants and didn't. Great.

April 14, 2011 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  32. AIWatcher

Ummmm....Miley sucks!!

April 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  33. juliejet

Sometimes I think the interviews before the performances sabotages the idols. Lauren was NOT better than Miley.

April 13, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  34. AIWatcher

Pleeeease, enough of Pia already !

April 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roan

Why are the judges still so nice? I agree that we're experiencing what is arguably the best talent in the shows history and that maybe the judges feel that each contestant is incredible in their own way but we still need that "balance".

I don't think that America will ultimately decide one way or another based on what they say but I do think that they "shape" opinions and that the "balance" is crucial to that aspect of voting.

April 14, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |