Demi Lovato on her lifelong eating disorder
April 13th, 2011

Demi Lovato on her lifelong eating disorder

In a new interview with Seventeen magazine, Demi Lovato reveals that the "emotional and physical issues" she sought treatment for in November were related to an eating disorder, a disease she still struggles with today.

"There have been times when I definitely have been tempted to get rid of my dinner,” she tells the magazine. “But I will deal with it for the rest of my life because it’s a life-long disease. I don’t think there’s going to be a day when I don’t think about food or my body, but I’m living with it, and I wish I could tell young girls to find their safe place and stay with it."

Prior to entering a rehab facility last year, Lovato had been spotted with marks on her wrists, leading to speculation that she was cutting herself.

“It’s very crucial that you get your feelings out—but don’t ever inflict harm on your own body because your body is so sacred,” Lovato tells Seventeen. "If you are going through that dark period, go to your family and closest friends. Don’t put yourself in danger.”

Now on the road to recovery, Lovato says she feels at peace and has a sense of freedom.

“I have come to realize that just making yourself happy is most important," she says. "Never be ashamed of what you feel. You have the right to feel any emotion that you want, and to do what makes you happy. That’s my life motto.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music • television

1. babenakedx

images of nude Naked celebrities .

November 28, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. alyssia

demi is amazing and i am looking forward to her interview on GMA/20/20 to talk about her life story and very much looking forward to her brand new album. she's doing better and looks very healthy. good 4 u ms demi lovato!! you rock your my biggest role model and inspiration as a singer/actress looking forward to the new season of sonny with a chance.

April 17, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Asha

So...everyone's okay with her binge drinking and doing drugs? You'd think she'd get treated for those things too.

April 14, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Beautiful Vixen

@Superhiro..dude they are really hating on you on the blogs tonight. On the bipolar blog, one person gave you an award..lol. Oh I'm sure I will be hated on there too with the comments I wrote ..lol.

April 14, 2011 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Now they are H-ROIDS !

My Bottom blaster itches.

April 14, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. marisa

Well i think you are the best for making yourself be public in this just remember to keep yourself from the real

April 14, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. Superhiro

@ Sunshine :D Thanks for the answer! Lol, I seem to be drawing quite a bit of heat today. -Shrug- Oh well.

April 13, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Izzy

Demi, you are amazing for being able to handle this. When I was about 14 years old, I had an eating disorder too. I think that you deserve a round of applause because you stay strong and are beautiful. I love your songs! Keep it going girl! I think you are the best, and I am pround you dealt with it.

April 13, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Head Diva In Charge

@ N and sandra or whatever your name is fat ass... s t f u

April 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. @N

she is bullsh!t!!!how many retarts dont know who she is!!!!Superhiro is one

April 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. @N

Oh look we crapped all ova ur yard!!!lets party in the old mans yard!!!!lets do graffiti and throw rotton eggs at him!!!!PARTY!!!!!!!!!And superhiro is still stupid!!!!

April 13, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. @N

We aint gettin off ur yard old man!!!shut the phuck up b!otch!!!

April 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. @N

She is such a hippocrite!!!!!Look at her tryin to sound lik a good role model well shut up!!!she is such a retart!!!just lik superhiro!!!!he aint so super!!

April 13, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sunshine Girl *

@Superhiro....I think shes from a Disney Channel show called 'Camp Rock'. The one with the Jonas Bros. I think. (Not really sure, b/c Im too old for those kinds of shows, so Ive never seen it.) We have to at least give her credit for recognizing that she had a problem. That, and doing something constructive about it. That takes alot of courage in itself. Shes still young and I think she looks great. At least she wasnt in denial and end up damaging herself permanantly. Shes learning how to deal, and good luc

April 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hanover Fist

Superhiro! get off CNN & get back to work. I'm calling your boss! Troll on your own time!

April 13, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  16. cole

I think she looks great :) I'm not a huge fan of her, in fact I find her being all over the media kind of annoying. But at the same time, we need to keep in mind that not everyone with an eating disorder is skinny, and not everyone skinny has an eating disorder. It's a good thing if she stays strong and learns to accept her body as it is, because she's beautiful in her own way.

April 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mike masters

More cowbell!

April 13, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Hmmm...

Kurt, you like to talk about "poo" don't you ? To each his own, I guess.

April 13, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Superhiro

Color me uniformed I guess for not knowing who she is. Also google is blocked from my job so I can't just look her up.

April 13, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • sandra

Then maybe you should go back to work and stop cheating your employers and annoying the rest of us with your attention-seeking posts.

April 13, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Onion flavored ManGravy

You need to get to work young man and stop playing on the computer.

PS...this girl demi has an eating disorder because she is mental defective and likes to crap in her panties.

April 14, 2011 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  20. John K

Rip Van Winkle?

"Who are all these people? And why isn't there any news about Betty Grable? Hey you kids, GET OFF OF MY LAWN!"

April 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Joan

how can you not know who Demi Lovato is? seriously?

April 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Superhiro

Is she... from something? You guys really need to do a better job of telling people why the people in your stories are important. I think it's a bit much to assume the reader knows who this girl is.

April 13, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • tyler

One of the most popular teen celebrities. She’s all over the place, kinda hard to miss. A she’s actually pretty talented.

April 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

Is it really that hard to Google her name? There's your answer, she's all over the place!

April 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

What is being said is that, as news reporters, CNN are supposed to inform reader who the people they are writing about are for those who don't know she is.

It's an assumed fact that everyone knows who Demi Lovato is, and believe it or not, there is a world outside of Britney and teen crazes, etc.

Stay Strong, Demi! We believe in you...

April 13, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • sandra

Are you...from something? Like another planet?

April 13, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • alyssia

i am a huge fan of demi lovato, and i think it's amazing and very brave of her to share her story and i am very proud she's a good role model for young girls and young adults that are going through anything in life but remember like demi said love is louder than the pressure to be perfect!! i love that she is doing better. i look up to her and when i heard her story about when she was bullied it broke my heart then when i heard this story it broke my heart even more but just know that you have love one's out there that love you and will support you know matter what, ignore the gossip and if you're being bullied tell someone don't let anybody tell you different because you were made special in your own different way no one is perfect in this world. follow your heart.. it knows the way!

April 17, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Debbie A

eating disorders are serious biologically based illnesses. staying in recovery is extremely difficult when you have to eat to live. cut these people some slack. i am the parent of a young adult with an eating disorder. she is my role model. every day she is bombarded with having to be "skinny" on tv, magazines, etc. to all those struggling and/or trying to stay in recovery, my hat is off to you!

April 14, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |