April 12th, 2011

Toni's 'Braxton Family Values'

It took some persuading to get Toni Braxton to agree to do a reality show.

"My sisters asked me to do this show in 2008 and I said yes, but then I reneged and said 'No, I'm not doing it, I'm not doing it," Braxton said during a recent press event.

The singer best known for hits like "Breathe Again" and "Un-Break My Heart" eventually relented, and the result is her new reality series "Braxton Family Values," which debuts tonight on WEtv.

The show features Braxton in her role as the eldest sister to siblings Trina, Tamar, Traci and Towanda, and as a single mother of two sons. There is plenty of drama among the sisters (there's also a brother who declined to star in the show but will make an appearance), who at one time all performed as a group.

One sister in particular, Tamar, is very vocal about her desire to no longer be a backup singer and to become a star apart from her famous sister Toni. The tension leads to a few dramatic moments within the family.

"I've always been an open and outspoken person but I didn't know that through all of that I was actually hurting people's feelings," Tamar said. "For me it was a big lesson."

But the dramatics don't stop there: One sister deals with an open marriage, another with a drinking problem and yet another with her feelings about being left out of show business. And of course there's Toni, who opens up about her health issues and two bankruptcies. Residing over all of the action is the matriarch of the family, Evelyn Braxton.

The show premieres on WEtv Tuesday at 9 p.m.

1. Jen

I watched most of season one of this show and its so full of DRAMA, and Tamar somebody needs to slap her in the mouth cause she talks entirely toooo much, it seems to me that she is always hating and she wants to be in the spotlight so bad. Oan her plastic surgeon sucks cause she looks like Micheal Jackson. Scarey!!!!!!

November 3, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jessica

My husband and I watch the braxtons religiously. Toni – We are huge fans. Tamar may be over the top but she makes the entertaining. These sisters love each other and are real. If u don't like it don't watch it dot com.........

June 23, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. Tieshawn Thomas

I love the show!! Although I do agree there are way too many of them ....there are a few that stand out and can be quite fun to watch. It takes our mind away from all other serious things going on in the world, and provides entertainment and insight into a celebrity life that only uniquely shows you the other fazes of their life story. I completely find Tamar over the top but in a good way...and like I have once read ...this is just who she is. I am completely going to say all of them are my favorite and my very favorite is TRACI....she is soooo funny! Mom is great and so is Vince. Love the show and will continue to watch. ~sincerely a true Braxton fan....

June 19, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Inita

I watched the show last night for the first time for every episode. After seeing them I concluded the Braxton family really aren't being true to themselves. Body language, the mannerisms are forced somewhat, and all five sisters aren't actually connected. I am the youngest of 5 sisters and. 2 brothers. Born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland so I recognized a lot of their characteristics. However I know running away and not confronting your family issues only mask a new beginning. Reverse shame is proud. Look at where you come from than you truly acknowledge where you need to be. That is the only way the grand children will definitely realize they can be whole. They will grow up and ask many questions. Don't allow pass pain to enter fear with old adult pain. The grand children don't deserve to be with held from grand parents. PS. to Tamara only in Maryland worryation is in our dialogue!! Love it!!!

June 8, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. snowball

I HAVE THE WE CHANNEL BLOCKED BECAUSE OF THE STUPID REALITY SHOWS . THE ONE TIME I TURN IT ON TO WATCH THE GOLDEN GIRLS I SEE NOTHING BUT COMMERCIALS FOR THIS BRAXTON THING. WHO WANTS TO WATCH THSES OVERWEIGHT COLORED WOMEN WEARING WHITE PEOPLES WIGS PERFORM LIKE IDIOTS. THIS IS ON THE SAME LEVEL AS THE JOAN RIVERS THING THAT WAS ON. PLEASE WE TV, CAN'T YOU DO BETTER THAN THIS? THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY REALITY SHOWS ON. WHAT A SOCIETY THIS IS THAT CAN BE ENTERTAINED BY THIS JUNK.

May 24, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • jen

FYI, nobody use the term colored anymore, when refering to people, and the last time I checked there wasn't a such thing as white people wigs anyway I don't think they make those cause white people hair stink and attract bugs

November 3, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SquirrelBiscuit

It's not the who, or the city, or the topic... there are lots of us out there that are just plain tired of reality shows in general. They're cheap to make and willing participants are everywhere wanting to make a buck. No matter how stupid they are, the ratings skyrocket... so all they do is make MORE and MORE and MORE reality TV. Meanwhile, the scripted dramas and comedies are canceled before anyone gives them a chance. Even the History channel has reality shows! I wish they'd just move all of this reality junk to it's own d@mn channel and bring back the good programs.

May 8, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. tosha

Sorry to hear about Toni's illness now with that said, stop wearing those awful wigs and make up fire your hair and make up team I know Atlanta is slow, but really do you all not look in the mirror, and Tamar should stay out of her sisters business because this show has really touched on her marriage it shows that she only married her husband to further her career and really even if he does manage the biggest star in the world right now he will never make Tamar relevant in the music world especially when she is a self proclaimed best singer on the planet, that's the biggest joke of all no one will buy her music, and that's why theirs a reason she is a backup singer no one cared when she did have a deal and no one will care again. Tamar mouth is big, a woman should be a reflection of her man she should be seen an not heard, and go and have corrective surgery on that nose its the worst ever and for her poor husband run don't walk to the court house and get someone who going to love u for u and not what they think u should do for them, marriage is a two way street, not Tamar dot com really how stupid does a grown woman sound letting that come out her mouth GROW UP TAMAR.

May 5, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lala

I LOVE this show! So nice to see another side of Toni and see the sisters interact. Refreshing to see beautiful black women just being regular people and not stereotypes. And they're rich, too!! A+++ love this show!!

May 3, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. tosha

Well, well another meaningless show, do we really need this The Braxtons, who cares I watched the show because I thought it was going to be a show about family and clearly it wasn't, we have Tamar who is the most unimportant person who has no class and thinks she can sing better than anyone out today, that's why no one can remember Tamar who? No one membered her when she had a single and no one will care if she puts one out now and it docent matter how had her husband helps it won't matter she is not important to the music world, and no one will care everyone feels bad for her husband because really he should run to the first divorce lawyer he can find before she ruins his career.

April 28, 2011 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. ta ta h

Do we need another show like this all these real housewives shows, and now the Braxtons really, it would be alright if the show had meaning or touched on values not Tamars ranting antics, she has no class and its plain to see that she not use to money, and she only married her husband because she thought he could give her stardom, but that's something u have to be born with, and its a gift that clearly she doesn't have, that's why her so called career was just that a big fat zero, please get her off the show they don't need a person like that, to bring bad rating who cares about her and those wigs she wears are awful, along with the makeup, and her nose job is bad as well, redo the show without Tamar and do more positive stuff we don't need anymore shows that mean nothing, and are not positive.

April 28, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. chilly

Tamar is a bad example to all young girls. Every where she is a poor excuse of a woman, she has no values and the biggest mouth ever, its plain to see she is clearly jealous of her sister, Toni has talent and she is a star Tamar will never, be a star, and her husband should have a prenupt in place for a woman like that who clearly thought he could help her career but what career, that's why no one remembers her because she is forgettable, and what we don't need is another show like the kardashians meaningless show. How can you as her husband allow her to keep disrespecting you on national TV and in front of people u do business with im the industry u as a man come of as looking like a fool, if u want to save the show get Tamar off the show and think of more productive subjects to focus on then just Tamara ignorance.

April 28, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. brandon

Get tartar off the show I've never seen anyone person so ignorant as Tamar. And her poor husband is being humiliated by her he should run for the hills, how can u manage one if the biggest stars in the industry right now and allow your wife to disrespect you the way she does, your business partners are laughing at you. Also fire your hair and makeup people if lynching wasn't a crime they should be hung on a tree branch for those ugly wigs and the makeupia just horribles girls look like drag queens, maybe that's what Tamar should do be on rupauls drag drag show.

April 28, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. jeffrey douglas

WHAT I'M ABOUT TOO SAY MIGHT HEART THE FEELINGS OF THE INDIVDUAL I'M ABOUT TOO TALK ABOUT BUT ITS OVER DUE. TONI HERE'S SOME GOOD SOUND ADVICE KICK TAMAR OFF YOUR SHOW. I KNOW SHE'S YOUR SISTER AND BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER BUT SHE WILL BE THE CAUSE OF YOU LOSING RATINGS TO WHAT I CONSIDER TOO BE A VERY GOOD SHOW OF YOUR FAMILY. SHE'S VERY UNGRATEFUL,SELFISH AND JEALIOUS PERSON. INSTEAD OF BEING THANKFUL FOR HAVING A SISTER WHO'S FAMOUS AND HAS BLESS HER WITH SUCCESS THAT ONLY WOULD OF CAME THROUGH YOU,AND A HUSBAND THAT WANT HER TOO HAVE EVERYTHING THAT HER HEART DESIRE. SHE RATHER COMPLAIN ABOUT WHAT EVERYONE ELSE HAVE INSTEAD OF BEING GRATEFUL FOR WHAT SHE HAVE. SHE'S POISON AND THIS MIGHT BE ALITTLE TOO MUCH TOO TAKE RIGHT NOW BUT SHE'S A SNAKE IN THE GRASS.

April 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rek

I am still a huge fan of Toni Braxton's. She is still one of the most beautiful women in the music industry, EVEN THE YOUNG ONES). But I don't think I can keep watching her reality tv show because her ignorant baby sister Tamar irritates the hell out of me. She is so pretentious and ghetto fabulous that she ruins the entire show for me and everyone that I know who watches, or should I say watched, the show. She married money, her talent is questionable at best as evident in her previous releases that NO ONE even knew was released. Did she marry her husband just because of his wealth? My had is raised up in affirmation...she is your typical "gold digger". I just hope he was smart enough to get a prenuptial agreement so when the marriage end, and it will, she not steal all of his money. All of the other sisters are great because they are genuine and true to who they are while the "BABY" sister, and I mean it literally, is a waste for the show and will ultimately be the reason for it's demise. Love you Toni...

April 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TT

I think braxton family values stinks! 5 grown women acting like spoiled stuck up brats. Tamar really just stop talkin!!! Your a backup singer for a reason! to be a star requires a little class.

April 23, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. suki

I got tired and turned off listening to Tamar. She is mouthy and all about herself. Sounds ungreatful.

April 18, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  17. Charlibear

If you are going to post something, at least post in proper English..Geesh!!

April 17, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  18. AAW

People don't comment on Bubba, Hanover or the other fool,,,all they want is to get a negative reaction from you... Post your thought and not fall into this type of evil stuff... It's so very sad and small that folks have to vent ignorance on a venue like this...It's 2011 people stop allowing small minded people with a very low mentality dictate anything anymore. Leave dumb behind......

April 17, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Hanover Fist

I'm not mad about not being on TV. I'm mad because these worthless has-beens are on TV instead of some quality entertainment!

April 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  20. fran fran

Hea Hea Hea..Who cares and WFT??? Toni goes on twitter and tell the world that OMG this is effective my kids and their work at school all what the media says about her and the reality show Who give a fu?k..its her fault Toni..shes the one that agreed to do the show!! So you put your self in this miss..I dont like her nor her music..shes is played out totally!!

What did she do it for the money becouse shes broke?? She tells twitter fans,,OMG..I dont a large life style like my sisters!1 I do live like that..I just have a few bmw's and a few larg home..etc..who care?? Your ass is the one that did the show now your kids have to suffer in school and at home with this show>> I think people that are not famous anymore all they do is get these dumb reality show!!! I hate them..

April 13, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • brownies

wow! U hate them... If u had a opportunity to earn some extra money... U would take it. They are not that different from us..

May 26, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tiana

Damn you a hater!!

June 5, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gee

You are a stupid ass hater. If the girl doesn't have any money what do you expect for her to do? Duh, also she is sick and sometimes does not have the energy to do what she actually wants to do all the time. She is thinking of the support and income for herself and childrens well being. Are you going to pay her BILLS? Dummy. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good. Leave Toni and crazy ass sisters alone. It is called life, so I guess your life is just perfect? Uhh, say what? I didn't think so. I love these crazy ass girls. They are funny and seems to be real. And, yes I am from Maryland as you can tell we all here are crazy and supports each other. DMV baby....

June 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Penis Wrangler

Real Hos of Atl was enough.

April 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Head Diva In Charge

Yea another bunch of screaming black women!

April 13, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erica

Head Diva.. do you prefer a bunch of screaming white women? If so just watch all the Real Houewives franchise.

April 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Hanover Fist

@ganean: At least I can spell. Did you graduate 6th grade with Jethro Bodeine?

April 13, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  24. BUBBA

Dang, that was funny! I agree with you Mr. Fist, we don't need this show. I see the same behavior down on the corner in the projects. B!tches actin' like they're sumthin' special when they ain't nuthin!

April 13, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Hanover Fist

@Ganean, I jumped off the bridge, but damn if I didn't land on your enormous a$$ and bounce right back!

April 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  26. ms. m

I thought the show was great !

April 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. verneicesimmons

I like them all but Thts the 1 tht drinks 2 much need 2 stop b4 she die and drink her self 2 die andshe need 2 go 2 a aameeting and her Sisters need 2 put her in there and toni u is doing ta rite thing 4ur mother

April 13, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Allison

Do they love the letter T? How annoying that all the girls names start with T. What's the brother's name?

April 13, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • RBP

Their brother's name is Michael (presumably named after their father). His sisters affectionately call him "Mikey."

May 7, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Approaching Uranus

This show just confirms that Toni is also morally bankrupt.

April 13, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • erica

The first show was last night and Toni seemed to be the only sane one.. Approaching Uranus have you seen the entire season already to know that she is morally bankrupt? For everyone else; if you don't want to see another black famous rich person with a reality show, DON'T WATCH IT. Sounds like a bunch of haters mad cause they are not in her shoes.

April 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

IKR

November 3, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  30. SB

Towanda was on the reality show starting over a few years ago trying to get out of her sister's shadow as well.

April 13, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  31. Head Diva In Charge

Oh I'll be watching this! I watch all reality shows!

April 12, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sunshine Girl*

If you've seen one reality show, you've seen them all. Just a different family and location. When is enough going to be enough?

April 12, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  33. www.monogrammedeverything.com

There are a lot of non-famous people with reality shows but this may be the weirdest yet...no Fantasia is still the weirdest. Lame.

April 12, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Chris

Another reality show. What to expect? Drinking, fighting and arguments. Rich people and their problems. No, thanks.

April 12, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Hmmm...

More reality tv, oh boy !

April 12, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Ganean

@Hanover First. You are truely an idiot. Please go jump off a bridge.

April 13, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |