Pregnant Natalie Portman: So long veganism
April 12th, 2011

Pregnant Natalie Portman: So long veganism

A pregnant Natalie Portman has decided to give up being vegan so she can nosh on the food she really wants.

"I actually went back to being vegetarian when I became pregnant, just because I felt like I wanted that stuff," she recently told Atlanta’s Q100 Bert Show. "I was listening to my body to have eggs and dairy and that sort of thing."

The 29-year-old Oscar winner became a vegan after picking up a copy of Jonathan Safran Foer's "Eating Animals," but now that she's got a baby on board, Portman says being a vegetarian is a better fit.

"I know there are people who do stay vegan, and I think you have to just be careful, you have to watch your iron levels and your B12 levels and supplement that if there are things you might be low in in your diet," she told the radio station.

Plus, she went on, "If you're not eating eggs, then you can't have cookies or cake from regular bakeries, which can become a problem when that's all you want to eat."

Portman and fiancé Benjamin Millepied will welcome their new baby sometime this summer.

1. Homemade Hot Chocolate

fantastic issues altogether, you just gained a new reader. What could you recommend in regards to your post that you made a few days in the past? Any sure?

August 7, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nelii Bloomstromy

Since the YouTube videos are posted here same like I also embed YouTube video code at my own web page, as it is straightforward to take embedded code.

July 17, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. vegan cookies

Hello There. I discovered your blog using msn. That is a very smartly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to learn more of your useful info. Thank you for the post. I'll certainly comeback.

June 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. anonymous

P.S. Strange that she's saying that about cookies. I live in NYC, and there are vegan baked goods all over the place. A few steps from my apartment I can get vegan chocolate bars, vegan cookies, and vegan (coconut milk) icecream. So that's kind of lame. And I'm far from wealthy.

May 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. anonymous

@goodtothelastdrop
    That French couple weren't feeding the baby a vegan diet, they were living off of fruit. Big difference. It was a fruitarian diet.
    I went Vegan for the health benefits because it is the healthiest diet, if properly followed.
    I used to think the vegan thing was silly, until I actually read the research. Now I bite my tongue when I judge things, because I was forming opinions without bothering to research the other viewpoint.

May 20, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Simon T

Charlotte Laws (on NBC) is sending Natalie Portman eggs from her backyard for a cruelty-free pregnancy at least in the egg department. Do a search and you will see. Good luck Natalie.

May 17, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sabita patwardhan

This is horrifying to hear.
    The milk that we drink belongs to male calves who are forced from their mothers and slaughtered (even eco-calves).

The whole milk-industry is built on this formula: Cows are inseminated to birth calves and continuously give milk. The calf, a living child, is only a key to get the cow to constantly give milk.
    Calcium and other substances are not at all only found in milk. One should read widely on the subject, not just research by meat -eaters. I myself am a very healthy vegan but one has to educate oneself. Human children only need milk during the time that their OWN mothers give milk.
    If the world continues in this way, I am glad that it's going to end because humans have abused the brains that were given them. The lowest and most selfish of all animals ruining the environment and systematically producing, transporting and slaughtering animals. Go hunt when you want meat. Then the animal dies immediately and has not gone through the industry .

May 11, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. Andrew

Good for Natalie. I think it's so sad when women are vegan while pregnant. Babies need fat!

May 9, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dave

Off topic a little, but so what. Who the f–k is this Benjamin nerd. Total geek looking dude. He's got to be the luckiest dude in the world.

May 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mosley

Everyone's body is different. She felt that her nutrient needs needed to change during pregnancy. She is different than your family. And her last name is Porter. And she is probably not stupid.http://bit.ly/lUGHbe

May 3, 2011 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. Eloaene

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between a "craving" of sugary things and a actual "craving" of things that signals a deficit of some nutrients. The difference is that when breads are baked (heated) they turn into Sugar.. just like the plain white sugar. SUGAR is one of the worlds most addictive substances in teh world next to Cocain and Caffein. Therefore... if you are having "Cravings" for bread or sweet things.. with sugar in them... then most likely, you're having addict withdrawal symptoms. That is very diferent from craving something that you have a deficit of for your own nutrition.

Second...
    "Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. 3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
    4 “But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it. 5 And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each human being, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of another human being."

Therefore I find it perfectly OK to eat meat... tho it is recommended to eat meat in smaller portions than whole grains, sprouts, seeds, nuts, veggies and fruits.
    I eat as many of my foods raw as i can, but I have yet to find any harm done from eating eggs (free range) or milk (whether it be from a local dairy farm, home made almond or soy milk etc) and try to stay away from a lot of beef; more lean meats with more protein, like Turkey or maybe fish, are what I prefer. It's anyone's personal choice as to what they eat, but I do not believe that we should go completely without anything but plants. The Earth is our Dominion to rule.. there will be an accounting for our actions here, but eating meat (as long as the blood is drained) is not a sin. ;)

BTW, the blood in old testament was used during sacrifices to teach principles of the Attonement of Christ who would come. Blood of PLANTS (thier oil essence) AND ANIMALS both were used in Priestly ordinances and to annoint the body to give blessings as well as for the sacrifices.

April 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Preggers

I'm vegan and pregnant, but not as far along as Natalie. Here's hoping I don't give in! You'd think with her resources, she'd be able to find some vegan baked goods. I live in the middle of nowhere, Ohio, and manage fine. Most vegan desserts are comparable, if not tastier, than their animally counterparts. Except cheesecake. It's hard to do that right.

April 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jayde czajka

Wise choice! U cant live on lentils and lettuce alone! Now go grab that burger!

April 26, 2011 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. Live Vegan and Prosper

Natalie Portman was never vegan. She was simply being cutesy and trying to be a part of a club she made up so she could seem cooler. She doesn't care about anybody but herself and that is very clear by her giving up on what she was doing previous and also having a baby. There are already 7 billion humyns on a planet that couldn't even sustain half that number and bringing another one onto this planet with all the suffering and abuse caused to humyns and animals and the horrible things that happen is just wrong.

She is a fairly wealthy celebrity she can get whatever she wants whenever she wants and if she wants a cake she could have easily gotten a vegan cake. She doesn't care about anyone else she wants to do whatever and her boyfriend is probably the loser who got her to change from not eating animals to eating animals again. Heck I can easily find vegan treats all around where I live and I can also order them online though unfortunately I don't have the money to hire a chef or anything like that.

She chose to exploit billions just because she decided to bring another humyn life onto this planet for no good reason. Adoption is a great option and you don't have to deal with the stress of having a baby nor does the planet have to deal with another idiot getting preg. and you can give a child a better life than foster home to foster home.

Heck there are 35 ALL VEGAN restaurants, 55 vegetarian (with vegan options), 61 veg friendly restaurants and 117 vegan friendly stores/bakeries some of which are not food related in the LA/Hollywood area. One of those bakeries is the award winning Babycakes which is all vegan another is Sassy which is all vegan, a almost all vegan raw Ice Cream shop called KindCreme, Alternative Outfitters, a vegan botique and a vegan pie/cobbler shop just to name a few. She could easily find what her body craves without the cruelty that the animals don't deserve and for sure don't want.

Shame on Natalie Portman...I know I won't be seeing any of her films anymore. I also won't be supporting her crap husband either. I normally hate celebrities just in general but when they make such a far right turn like this over really stupid reasons that don't even make sense it just really makes it worse.

Just so folks know:
    "The word 'veganism' denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude — as far as is possible and practical — all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, including humans and the environment.
    In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

Check out this site:

April 25, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
    • PitchBlack

Take notes here, vegans. People like this person is why the general consensus is that you're all a bunch of ***holes

April 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • PitchBlack

On second glance, I'm pretty sure this is parody. Nobody would seriously utter a statement like "there's already 7 billion people on a planet that can't sustain half that many." It was the spelling "humyns" that gave it away for me though.

April 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Preggers

Natalie is actually pretty intelligent. She attended an Ivy League university, plus is super hot and successful. If anyone should breed, it's people like her. I'm very pro-adoption (having been adopted myself), and I don't know anyone who has been through that process who would say it is easier than boning. Not every worthy parent can withstand the adoption process. It's expensive and can be heart-wrenching. Besides, Natalie is still young, and maybe she will adopt later on. She never said she'd planned this pregnancy and so many pregnancies are surprises. Would aborting them all be more veg-friendly to you? I don't understand how someone can be so concerned for a race (and not know its proper spelling) and deride members of it for the slightest transgression. Being veg is about caring, not criticizing.

April 27, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jeremy Richardson

I have seen a lot of comments that say man is an omnivore. I hope that I can offer a fact-based correction of this mistake, without coming off in the wrong way. The information that I am presenting here I learned from reading Indian literature, although, it is not really a matter of opinion, the scientific case for Man as Herbivore follows:

(p.s. Kudos to NP for eating what she craves)

The biological classification for omnivore and herbivore is determined by many factors considered together,
    including but not limited to : the body length,
    the number of stomachs, the kinds of teeth,
    the ration of intestine-length to body length

Animals that are true omnivores (such as goats) are generally capable of eating raw meat and the canines are not blunted, as they are in man.

Also, biology text books reference the body length in other animals as from the mouth to the anus. But in the animal Man, the body length is measured from the crown to the soles. This also tends to skew the data, so that man is mistakenly classified as an omnivore, like a bear, not an herbivore, like a chimp.

Cooked meat is more akin to vegetable matter than pure raw meat is. Even if you ate nothing but cooked meat, that is not what carnivorous means, either. Animals that are truly carnivorous subsist on a diet of raw meat.

April 22, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rexa

Stop googling your information and reading self-help biology books. Cavemen ate meat and vegetables. There is a reason most vegetarians and vegans have to supplement their diets with vitamins because they are NOT getting it naturally! The human body actually has to work harder to process non animal proteins.They take longer to break-down. Animal proteins are considered "complete" proteins because they contain all essential amino acids. However, high consumption of it can lead to cholesteral issues and even calcium issues (such as osteoporosis). Ideally, you need a healthy mix of both animal and plant proteins. Obviously, since our bodies need Vitamin B-12 which comes from animal meat, telling anyone that theory on omnivores vs herbivores is ridiculous. If you're going to throw biology out there maybe look up all essential nutrients and why human bodies need them.

April 25, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  16. myMEATisMurder

even broccoli screams when you rip it from the ground

April 20, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  17. Jeff

@ OKSURE:

You wrote: "The more you enjoy meat and killing, you more pain and suffering you will get. I do believe and eye for an eye and I also believe what goes around comes around..."

My reply:

Humans are the top predators in the world. Look up the word "Predator". I hope your words were meant philosophically and not literally as I am quite sure the Lion and the Hyena (if they could) would be laughing at you right now...and planning their next meal.

As for me? I'm looking forward to a BBQ next weekend...YAY! You are invited.

April 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Debra

From my experience and study, eating vegan and raw would be the best thing for you and your baby. My best to you in your effort to be healthy.

April 18, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Zippy

I was mostly vegetarian when pregnant with my first child. My body started craving beef and I fed it beef. My thoughts at that time was that my body must have needed nutrients in the beef that it wasn't getting from my otherwise healthy diet. Not all practicing vegetarians supplement their diet healthfully..and should seek a nutritionist who can guide them in implementing a healthy lifestyle. No food (in it's natural state i.e. NOT processed or packaged) is unhealthy in moderation.

Natalie Portman has thankfully recognized that her body is craving what it needs. She's a lady and has class on all levels.

April 18, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  20. hippie

it is very easy to make tasty vegan cakes and cookies that are indistinguishable from those with dairy and eggs. especially if you are rich like natalie and can pay someone to do it.
    i feel her though, i was vegan for a decade or so and started eating eggs again last year because my friend had a pet chicken and it simply no longer seemed cruel to me. i still avoid dairy though.

April 16, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tol Trunks

Natalie Hershlag is dead.

April 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. ChillVeggie

I am a vegetarian who tried going vegan earlier this year. I was sick all the time, even with careful monitoring of my foods and adding supplements. I found that a few of my vegan friends were not at all sympathetic to the fact that, by the end, I was sick every day for a solid month. It was all about protecting animals to them. (I don't mean to imply that veganism is unhealthy – I think it can be extremely healthy! For some reason, my body just did not react well to it.)

I know you mean well, but you are TURNING PEOPLE COMPLETELY OFF TO YOUR CAUSE. I, myself, who would rather go without my beloved coffee than put factory-farm milk in it, have been the subject of "well, I guess you weren't in it for the animals" comments from vegan friends. I have not touched meat in years, and try to keep as vegan as I can, but apparently that is not enough.

We need to allow people to ask questions, to form opinions and, gasp, to DISAGREE with us. The important part is to get the conversation going. Have them read "Eating Animals," which also presents opposing viewpoints, I might add. But screaming "Meat is MURDER" any time someone eats a cookie is going to drive them away from the valid points you are trying to make.

April 14, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Why so serious?

Natalie will eat whatever she wants, I know pregnant women, it's best to let them eat what they want and she should do what is best for her. I don't disagree with the vegan, vegetarian, or omnivore lifestyle. What you choose and your reasoning is something you decide.

April 14, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  24. Beatin his meat with a monkey wrench

ManMeat served raw is the best.

April 14, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  25. Sweet Tim

I prefer to beat the meat before I eat the meat.

April 14, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  26. toiletman

I eat my doo doo. I like it and it"s cheap.

April 14, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  27. SKY

FACT: '"MY FOOD IS FOR ME TO DO MY FATHER WILL – WHO SAID THIS?
    ITS NOT ABOUT FOOD, IT ABOUT THE NEED TO GET MARRIED!

April 14, 2011 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  28. theDude

She should join PETA...people for the eating and tasting of animals.

April 14, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  29. Billy

Two nights ago my girlfriend ate a dog, I will eat one with her soon!!! I can't wait!!

April 13, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Michelle

This is really quite common with vegetarians.
    I was a vegetarian when I got pregnant with my daughter in 1996, and had been a vegetarian (not vegan) since 1991. I ended up climbing back on the meat wagon when I started craving it. My obgyn said USUALLY when you crave something, the baby NEEDS it or something IN it. So eat it. I did. Got rewarded with an almost 10 pound 22 inch long baby girl, who now stand 5'6 at age 14. Went back to vegetarianism after she was weaned...with a lapse once a month. Got spoiled by those rare steaks at Roadhouse, what can I say?

April 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Larry

She don't eat meat but she sure like the bone.

April 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • jag22

I actually opened this article and did a search just for this phrase, knowing someone would have beat me to it. You sir, win.

April 17, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  32. alicia

I am absolutely baffled, as an ex vegetarian I cannot understand this debate. For all the morons who keep referencing her now eating meat she is not, she is eating dairy or the development of her child oh and her 'sinful cravings' sorry! Secondly every person has their own body to which they are the governor, pregnancy cravings are connected to the human growing inside which (gestation arguments aside) is developing its own body ergo its own needs, to which they are connected to the mothers behaviours during pregnancies. No one but Natalie Portman knows how she is feeling and why precisely people feel the need to form an opinion about whether she is eligible as a true Vegan post this is baffling.

April 13, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  33. David Sheppard

I support Natalie on this. I believe it could well be best for the baby. I've been vegan for over ten years. I have ME/CFS and being vegan is the only thing that keeps me out of a wheelchair. Amazingly good diet. Went off it at Christmas and everything stunk like animal. But I still crave bacon and eggs, pork sausage, etc. Don't blame those who don't want to go vegan, but being vegan is great. Everybody chill.

April 13, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Walker

COme over to the dark side Natalie...eats some meats! Meats is delicious. Meats is nutritious. I'm cool with all the vegetarians and vegans but wish they'd be cool with me eating the meats. It's why we have fingernails and the teeth we have, we weren't meant to eat just greens.
    Bacon is good.
    Fried chicken is good.
    Prime rib is good.
    Salmon steaks is good.

Eats the Meats!

April 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Amor Fati

Eating vegetables is stealing food from animals.

April 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Kenny

Trends, don't you just love 'em? One day they're all Kaballah, the next they're all Vegan...and all of a sudden their into The Food Travel. What's worst? We have a million of those wannabes roaming around L.A. and copied every step of the way.

April 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Lisalle K

WHY is this news? Because Natalie Portman & Co. decided now is a good time to release a ton of vegan/vegetarian news (YAWN) to drown out the controversy surrounding her dance double Sarah Lane.

Natalie Portman is manipulating the press and winning like Charlie Sheen. Her life is down hill from here.

April 13, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ?

God gave us animals for what ?

April 13, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Mike

Vegans tend to make neo-con baptists look moderate. You are only free to have your own beliefs if you agree with them.

April 13, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. never gonna happen

you can no more eliminate cruelty to animals as you can cruelty to people- there's always going to be pain and suffering- sorry

April 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Suz

Well, aren't we just a big bunch of food police!

Seriously – mind your own business, your own stomach and your own morals. Do the research and make your own decisions that you feel are best for you. Leave each other alone.

April 13, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  42. Lena

I guess Natalie was not an ethical vegan who cared for animal welfare, but probably a trendy "healthy" vegan – only concerned about her health and looks. Some vegans are this way. Many vegetarians contribute to animal suffering by consuming dairy and egg products from caged, sick animals. And, hey Natalie, there are plenty of yummy vegan cakes and cookies available to you. Being pregnant should be an excuse to abandon a sound belief system.

April 13, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Suz

Wouldn't the world ultimately be a better place if people adopted the sound belief system of not being so judgmental?

Look – if you want to be vegan, fine. It's a great choice. I'm a vegetarian, and although it's not YOUR choice, it's still a great choice because I'm doing what I can, just like the omnivore down the street at the local no-kill animal shelter who takes in and helps re-home abandoned animals.

See my point? People who are doing what they can handle are still DOING SOMETHING.

April 13, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Lena

Hi Suz, I totally agree with not being judgmental. I do not have a problem with vegetarians, meat eaters, hunters – everyone does their own thing, and that is fine. I just find it strange when someone stops being vegan because they want a cupcake. There is nothing wrong with it, but it does feel hypocritical because vegans can eat vegan cupcakes. Plus, most vegans choose the lifestyle based on ethics and I was just pointing out that Natalie is/was probably not that type of vegan.

April 14, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  43. free meat

There is nothing like going out slaying,gutting and cooking fresh meat on the ole grill. It's almost as good as eating spoiled soybean curd and soymilk.

April 13, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  44. Sarah

If you are a Vegan and don't shop at local farmer's market or don't grow all your own food, pick it, wash it and prepare it at home, you are still contributing to suffering. Even most "organic" farms use basic slave/child labor to get their harvests to the public.

If you want to talk about "natural", farming itself is a relatively new concept in the existence of humans. If it weren't for farming, Vegans wouldn't have access to all the fruits and vegetables to survive in today's world. Most of the veggies and fruits you eat aren't even native to the USA or are hybrids of vegetables that no longer exist (that's right, the tomatoes and corn that you eat today are a product of science, not nature). If you REALLY want to get technical, the people who eat a raw diet only are the true "naturalists". Firstly, cooking your fruits and veggies eliminates many of the natural vitamins and minerals in them. Secondly, there is evidence that many "cave people" (for lack of a more politically correct word) who needed fire as a staple part of their life (not just for warmth once in awhile) died of the same cancers that are caused by carcinogens that we currently have today. So, go ahead, take your test-tube tomatoes, picked by a 6 year old from Mexico, throw it on the grill and eat those carcinogens!!!

April 13, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Guin

Why does it have to be all or or nothing? So if I can't eliminate my impact then I shouldn't even bother trying to reduce it? That's a silly argument.

April 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Fatty Arbuckle

Natalie looks just like a sow.

April 13, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  46. Dave

Soem of you are taking about organic and free range foods. Another huge marketing ploy and a joke. Most of those foods come from the same corporations that produce everything else.

We spent 100 years developing ways to prevent crop diseases, grow better crops, faster crops, more crops, etc... and now some you wantt o go "organic". All that means is you eat stuff that has more chance of disease in it, makes the earth work harder and longer to produce, and produces less.
    It is a marketing ploy like bottled water

April 13, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • One born every minute

@ Dave.

You are correct Sir...just more marketing to the stupid pile of idiots gathered together tossing good money after bad.

PS...during the killing process the more an animal suffers the better it will taste.

April 13, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • @one born every minute

Your intellect is overwhelming.

April 13, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  47. David

WOW, some of you are just nuts. Being a Vegan goes against what we naturally are. We are intended to eat meat, fruits, nuts, vegetables, etc... Are bodies are designed for it. Yes, you can be healthy as a vegan, with a bunch of supplements. Pretty funny really since many of them are the same people screaming about "man-made" stuff ruining us and they take supplements for half their diet.

The bottom line is many of you need to get over this obsession about animals. They are not the same as humans and do not have rights.

I love animals. I have pets. BUT I also understand that, for the most part, cows, chickens, & pigs have been determined to be our "CROPS" for food. That is what they are. What they are not is another living being equal to humans. Our lives are more valuable.

April 13, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • @David

Agree. I want to look at some of the vegans on this post who are comin' off judgemental and say, "Really? Are you going to see a stranger's child hanging off a cliff, a goat or chicken 2 yards down in the same situation and have a hard time deciding which one to save first?" Animals are precious. The Native Americans knew that and said a prayer every time they killed an animal for food (i.e. survival). But a human life supersedes animal life to a certain degree, no question.

April 13, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Guin

Riiiight, and there are No judgmental omnivores in here, right? It goes both ways and to pretend otherwise makes you look like an ass. Everyone should eat how they choose to eat without all of this crap. Omnivores are JUST as guilty of preaching their views, and usually unsolicited. I can't tell you how many times I have seen an innocent "I don't eat meat" with NO accompanying commentary elicit a diatribe of venom from someone. Just scroll up.

April 13, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  48. samuel markes

I can honestly say that Ms. Portman is probably the pinnacle of human evolution to date: stunningly brilliant, physically beautiful, and seemingly quite thoughtful. I can't believe all the vehement commentary about a pregnant woman chosing to eat an egg or have a flipping cookie now and again.

April 13, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  49. Patrick

Cravings are not caused by deficiencies. If they were then all those folks becoming obese because they CRAVE burgers, fries, and colas would be advised to go for it to relieve their deficinecies. Of course, that's ridiculous. Cravings are often caused by sugar addictions or perhaps, in Natalie's case, hormonal changes which occur during pregnancy and she should try and not give in to them. Obviously Natalie is just giving in to her taste cravings, which isn't wise. Meat and dairy are unhealthy any way you cut it especially during pregnancy.

Dr. Frank Oski, former director of pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University said, "There is no reason to drink cow's milk at any time in your life. It was designed for calves, it was not designed for humans, and we should all stop drinking it today, this afternoon."

Dr. Spock agreed, saying, "[T]here was a time when cow's milk was considered very desirable. But research, along with clinical experience, has forced doctors and nutritionists to rethink this recommendation."

The fact that there are entire cultures representing millions of people who have lived and thrived for centuries without meat and dairy is enough evidence that even pregnant humans do not "need" it to survive and thrive. In fact, the evidence weighs heavily in the other direction, i.e., the hazards of a meat and dairy diet and the benefits of a vegan diet are well known even for pregnant women and babies.

Natalie should control her cravings and make the effort to be healthy for her baby and that means continuing to omit meat and dairy.

April 13, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • dx2718

PREGNANCY cravings are caused by deficiencies. Plus, pregnancy can make you super-nauseous so that you're not able to eat anything BUT what you're craving. Every midwife/OB will tell you to follow your cravings. Jewish law allows for pregnant women to follow their cravings, even if they are disobeying Kosher laws or breaking fasts!!! Natalie is doing exactly what her body needs. Yes, in the wild we wouldn't have access to non-human dairy, BUT we'd be breast-fed until the age of eight or so, we'd start having babies at twelve, and we'd die at twenty-five. And humans (and other animals) have been eating eggs for eons – they're a great source of iron and other nutrients.

April 13, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • helloeyes

pregnancy cravings cannot be placed in any other category of cravings.

April 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrea

@dx... That is just not true! For one thing, if a pregnant woman is taking prenatal vitamins as they are always advised to do, she shouldn't have many nutritional deficiencies. Yet women who take prenatal vitamins get cravings just the same. For another thing, your assertion that all OBs/midwives tell pregnant women to just give in to their cravings is false. I have had three children and am pregnant with my fourth. I have been to two different OBs (and read some pregnancy books) and the information and guidelines they provide do not advocate just giving into every craving no matter how unhealthy it may be. There are some foods that pregnant women should not eat even if they are craving it, i.e. raw seafood, raw/undercooked meat, unpasteurized dairy, etc.

As to the Jewish law argument, I can see why they would allow pregnant women not to fast. In my religion, we fast once a month, but it is not advised for pregnant or nursing women or those whose health would be significantly hurt by it. However, I don't understand what reasoning there could be for giving up a Kosher diet if that's what a pregnant woman's cravings dictate. Maybe, they just made that exception out of fear of having to deal with some angry, irrational pregnant woman who wants a ham sandwich.:) Even so, the Jewish exception does not validate the whole give-into-your-pregnancy-cravings argument that you are trying to make.

I have known and known of plenty of women who just ate according to their cravings and guess what? Many of them gained 70 pounds or more during their pregnancy and then had a super fun delivery (sarcasm). It is totally unhealthy to gain that in a pregnancy unless you are anorexic or something (in which case, it would be unlikely that you could even get pregnant while that underweight).

By the way, ever heard of pica? Some pregnant women develop this conditon and get cravings for ice, dirt, clay, etc. It actually indicates an iron deficiency, but that doesn't mean that the women should eat those things to deal with the deficiency. They can get the iron from other, healthier sources. So if a woman is having a craving that is actually based on a deficiency, she shouldn't just eat that thing if it is unhealthy. Rather she should try to figure out what nutrients (if any) that food is offering and find a healthier alternative that offers the same thing.

For the record, I am neither a vegan or vegatarian, and I think that Natalie Portman eating eggs and milk (and cookies and cakes occasionally) is perfectly acceptable if that's what she feels she needs. However, I think it is just asinine to advocate that pregnant women indulge every craving no matter what.

April 23, 2011 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  50. Golden

A dead carcass in your mouth is tasty?! Really?! Why do people think its ok to not make another living being suffer for a replaceable meal? What a crazy world we live in!

April 13, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  51. Anon

I don't tell people who eat meat not do but even people who eat meat need to accept that there are good reasons not to. We have evolved to be able to eat meat but this doesn't mean that we should. Choosing not to eat meat shows a responsibility towards the environment that humans, as the most intelligent animals, capable of considering ethical issues, need to have in one way or the other.

April 13, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |

No, meat eaters do not have to admit that there are "good reasons" to not eat it. These reasons are "good" to you, so you can and will make your decisions based on them. That does not mean that others feel they are "good" reasons nor do you have any right to look down your nose at them. Is it unfortunate that there are abuses in some sectors of food development? Yes. I think a lot of companies are making efforts to reduce these, even without the force of law or government mandate. But the fact is, the food industry has an obligation to supply the public with food at reasonable prices. Farming and processing methods deemed more humane result in higher prices that we can't all afford. And I highly doubt that sufficient supplies could be produced if such methods were mandatory across the industry. People are going to continue to eat meat, this is a fact. Make your own choices, it's your right, but accept the facts for what they are and try to do so with lip buttoned, if possible.

April 21, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Mr. X

Uh-oh Natalie is going to upset the self-righteous vegans with this announcement.

April 13, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  53. Proud Eater of Tasty Animals

I know plenty of vegans and vegetarians who are weak and sickly, can't do a full day's hard work. Meat is the only way to get some kinds of protein your body NEEDS! We have the teeth of omnivores, that means humans ar designed to eat meat AND vegetables. Get Real!

April 13, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Suz

Be the boss of your own stomach, please.

I am a vegetarian and have been so for a very long time... and I'm a beautiful, 5'6", 130 lb bellydancer and burlesque dancer that could run circles around most others my age.

Chew on THAT with your omnivorous teeth. :)

April 13, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • helloeyes

I agree, I could never do without my animal proteins. I tried vegetarianism but it didn't work fo rme. I was only doing it to live up to an ideal imposed on me by peer group pressure but I was never robustly healthy like I am now.... I am not a belly-dancer or a burlesque dancer by the way. I have a real job.

April 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guin

Anecdotal evidence does not equal data. I know sick meat eaters. Therefore meat = sick? Um, no. Geez people, open your MINDS. No one is asking you to be vegetarian but you could be as respectful as you demand of the "preachy veggies."

April 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

I'm a vegetarian and I run 2 marathons a year. Weak and sickly? Not me. I know plenty of meat eaters who are big and fat and can't walk a block.

I eat what I want, and allow you the same privilage.

Be nice.

April 13, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Humans are not omnivores:

Facial Muscles:
      Carnivore- Reduced to allow wide mouth gape
      Herbivore- Well-developed
      Omnivore- Reduced
      Human- Well-developed

Jaw Type:
      Carnivore- Angle not expanded
      Herbivore- Expanded angle
      Omnivore- Angle not expanded
      Human- Expanded angle

Jaw Joint Location:
      Carnivore- On same plane as molar teeth
      Herbivore- Above the plane of the molars
      Omnivore- On same plane as molar teeth
      Human- Above the plane of the molars

Jaw Motion:
      Carnivore- Shearing; minimal side-to-side motion
      Herbivore- No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back
      Omnivore- Shearing; minimal side-to-side
      Human- No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back

Major Jaw Muscles:
      Carnivore- Temporalis
      Herbivore- Masseter and pterygoids
      Omnivore- Temporalis
      Human- Masseter and pterygoids

Mouth Opening vs. Head Size:
      Carnivore- Large
      Herbivore- Small
      Omnivore- Large
      Human- Small

Teeth (Incisors):
      Carnivore- Short and pointed
      Herbivore- Broad, flattened and spade shaped
      Omnivore- Short and pointed
      Human- Broad, flattened and spade shaped

Teeth (Canines):
      Carnivore- Long, sharp and curved
      Herbivore- Dull and short or long (for defense), or none
      Omnivore- Long, sharp and curved
      Human- Short and blunted

Teeth (Molars):
      Carnivore- Sharp, jagged and blade shaped
      Herbivore- Flattened with cusps vs complex surface
      Omnivore- Sharp blades and/or flattened
      Human- Flattened with nodular cusps

Chewing:
      Carnivore- None; swallows food whole
      Herbivore- Extensive chewing necessary
      Omnivore- Swallows food whole and/or simple crushing
      Human- Extensive chewing necessary

Carnivore- 3 to 6 times body length
      Herbivore- 10 to more than 12 times body length
      Omnivore- 4 to 6 times body length
      Human- 10 to 11 times body length

Colon:
      Carnivore- Simple, short and smooth
      Herbivore- Long, complex; may be sacculated
      Omnivore- Simple, short and smooth
      Human- Long, sacculated

Liver:
      Carnivore- Can detoxify vitamin A
      Herbivore- Cannot detoxify vitamin A
      Omnivore- Can detoxify vitamin A
      Human- Cannot detoxify vitamin A

Kidney:
      Carnivore- Extremely concentrated urine
      Herbivore- Moderately concentrated urine
      Omnivore- Extremely concentrated urine
      Human- Moderately concentrated urine

Nails:
      Carnivore- Sharp claws
      Herbivore- Flattened nails or blunt hooves
      Omnivore- Sharp claws
      Human- Flattened nails

April 13, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Realist

You do know that all vegetables have protein, right?

May 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  54. lucillemyers13

Companies give out samples of their products all the time, it's a very effective marketing strategy. Best place online is "123 Get Samples" find online

April 13, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  55. John N Florida

Is she or isn't she:
    .....but now that she's got a baby on board, Portman says being a vegetarian is a better fit.

Pregnant Natalie Portman: So long veganism
    I'm confused.

April 12, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yummeat

Vegetarian=no meat
      Vegan=no meat, dairy...basically no animal by-products

April 13, 2011 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  56. maki44

Uh........OK!

April 12, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  57. OkSure

II can say that I am a vegetarian. I choose to become a vegetarian simply because I choose to eat something less sin. I recognized there are sufferings in animal slaughtering. Can you imagine if you were born into a slave? Remember those days? the torture, the pain, the suffering? When the time comes, you don't get to choose. You will serve your purpose. Eating meat or more killing is a path to suffering. You will get very very ill at middle to old age. There will be lots and lots of pain and suffering you will have to endure. The more you enjoy meat and killing, you more pain and suffering you will get. I do believe and eye for an eye and I also believe what goes around comes around. I also believe karma consequences. Most religions teachings specified clearly that "thou shall not kill." Kill here means all kind of killings including animals, human, etc... Some bible interpreters interpret killing is only imply for human only and that's not totally correct. They say so because they just want to eat animal meats. Wise religion followers don't follow such lack of interpretation. They see bigger pictures. But at the end of the day, you are what you eat. I suggest do less harm to any lives, you will suffer less. Imagine at the age of 40 or 50, lots of folks have heart, kidney, lung, and other organs failures. They are paying what they have caused. I do believe that there will always rewards for kindness and merciful.

April 12, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lift Foil, Place on Head

And if you have $ e x, you will get chlamydia, and die.

April 13, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Notavegan

I eat meat because I want to savor the suffering of the animal that I'm devouring. The more they suffer, the juicier the meat.

April 13, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  58. Brian

MEAT IS MURDER!!!!

and murder is delicious.

Seriously...I don't mind vegans, or vegetarians, until they start trying to tell me what I should and shouldn't eat. It's my body, I'll eat what I want...and what I want is bacon and steak.

April 12, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suz

Precisely. Just as I am a vegetarian and I will do what I want with my body.

I get really tired of people being my "food police," too. I have had several friends/acquaintances become exasperated with my choice to not eat animals, and I can't for the life of me figure out why it's their business. It's not like I'm preaching my lifestyle to them.

April 13, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • so?

so why aren't we allowed to eat cats and dogs or other people? If people have the "right" to eat what they like why does the law protect some beings from being eaten but not others?

April 13, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • GetOverIt

@so?: Because that is what our society, as determined by a majority of the citizens therein, has agreed upon. If you freaks on the fringe of socity want to do things differently, go right ahead. It's your right to do so. But, while you're munching on your celery sticks, do the rest of us a favor and shut up.

April 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrea

@so - In some countries, people do eat dogs (not so sure about cats though). I think that we all know why it isn't okay to eat humans, but there are plenty of countries where they eat animals most Americans would never desire to eat. In China, they seem to eat every kind of animal (well not every animal but a lot of different ones) .

April 23, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  59. Crazy Freaks

You people are "F"ing crazy. Why do you give a crap about what other people are doing. Live your own life you freaks. If she wants to eat meat...let her...go apply to be on the next PETA ad. I just dont understand how the world still turns. My steak and eggs are getting cold and my tall glass of milk is getting warm.... so I have to go.

April 12, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Beau

Boy, seems I've stumbled into the den of wussies and twig boys! You people are pathetic.

April 12, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  61. led9

No grains? How come? Or should I ask Dr Spock?

April 12, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Bubba

You damn right! Tyson ain't no vegan. he is a cannibal! Plus he has that annoying Jersey girl voice.

April 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Sunshine Girl*

Pregnancy is not an excuse to eat anything you want, in any size serving. You should try to eat as healthy as you can while pregnant. And drink lots of milk. Whoever says you shouldnt, is crazy. Just remember the old saying 'What nourishes you, also destroys you'. Just be mindful and you'll be ok.

April 12, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcus

Worry about your own life. Sounds like maybe you need to get one?

April 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • good grief

sunshine girl, what is your stake in Natalie's life? Or anyone elses for that matter?

April 12, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • FenDove

Oh, yes Girl. Drink lots and lots of milk during pregnancy – if you want gestational diabetes.

April 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  64. hey ed

Didn't Tyson try a piece of Holyfield? That's not vegan, is it???

April 12, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  65. tj

Well being a vegan or vegetarian is boring. People its all nice you love the world but just eat organic and free range foods!! I admit I eat meat, cheese, eggs, and fish regularly and I don't give a crap. ( the only reason these celebrities do it is because it helps keep them skinny.)

April 12, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • steved

Eating eggs, and dairy is vegetarian. Just not meat. Plenty of great food there. A very healthy way to go too.

April 14, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  66. Bob

Oh Natalie...now you're back to sounding like a true American! Why be bothered with things like ethics when they get in the way of you eating cookies made from placenta and/or mammary secretions. Who cares if baby male cows are taken from their moms and sold as veal. Who cares if six egg laying chickens will live their life in a cage with the dimensions of a newspaper before being ground up into low grade meat.

April 12, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • RosaFranklin

*eye roll* She's not eating veal. She's eating dairy and eggs. The fact that she now eats cheese and milk and yogurt and whatnot doesn't mean she is responsible for farmers killing young male cows for veal; they could just as easily let them grow up before being slaughtered. And the fact that she drinks milk has nothing to do with slaughter at all anyways. When she eats eggs, she isn't necessarily responsible for the sad caged environment of many farm chickens; I'd bet you that if I am willing to pay a bit more for eggs from free range chickens, Natalie Portman certainly is too. Seriously, people, live and let live. Unless she's eating nothing but deep-fried fast food, I'd say her baby will be fine. As for the people who say "just admit that you don't have the willpower to stay vegan"...I'm pretty sure that she basically did. ("just because I wanted that stuff [dairy and eggs]..." and she mentions wanting to be able to eat cookies and cake.)

April 13, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • what about

what about the "free range" eggs? i'd bet the meager amount in my wallet she goes for those instead of the cheaper brand that come from jam-packed cages-not saying either are ethically wrong or right-
      but there's always going to be cruelty involved in the world, someone eating eggs and drinking milk isn't going to change that

April 13, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • helloeyes

It is highly ethical to follow what the body is telling us to do during pregnancy. If veganism is not satisfying her hunger she needs to switch. Common sense is not unethical. Your rhetoric is, however.

April 13, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • What??

So if my pregnant body tells me to smoke crack cocaine that's ethical? Your basically saying that anything your pregnant body "tells" you to consume is ethical...puppies? liquor? people? Ethics means understanding where your rights end and others begin. Natalie went vegan in the first place for a very good reason. Her reasons for discontinuing have nothing to do with her health or the health of her baby. Dr. Spock the world's foremost pediatrician (he's written the best selling book on baby care for those living under a rock) actually advocated a vegan diet for babies in the most recent edition of his book.

April 13, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

My chickens aren't. My chickens are happy little girls who look forward to me coming to visit and gathering their eggs. They cluck and waddle and dance when I give them crickets (the horror of dead crickets!). I'm a vegetarian, and I sleep just fine not being vegan. And if you want to be vegan, that's great! I hope you love it. Just leave Natalie and the rest of us vegetarians alone. Leave the omnivores alone, too, while you're at it.

April 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  67. cookie

C is for cookie. That's good enough for me!

April 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  68. @ talk to the hand

Who ya talking to ?

April 12, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Lettuce Prey

Any excuse to eat cookies is a good excuse!

April 12, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Hmmm...

Don't forget to have 2 helpings of all you have, your eating for 2 now ! (Another prego excuse!) Just have a happy, healthy baby. Congrat's !

April 12, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Areeder

You go, Natalie. Don't let the food Nazis shame you for what you choose to eat. There is no concrete scientific evidence to prove that vegans have a healtier lifestyle, And their so-called moral arguments don't hold water either. Some turkey or chicken will do you good!

April 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr. Spock

Actually there is plenty of research that says plant based diets are the healthiest way to live. The most famous of course is The China Study which was conducted by T Colin Cambell of Cornell University. It was only the largest epidemiology study in the history of humankind. But of course why would you know about that, I don't think People magazine covered it. Another study was conducted by National Geographic and outlined in the book Blue Zones. The longest living people in the world all have something in common – they all eat little to no animal products. Look up the NIH Nurses Study too if you're still not convinced. And next time do a Google search before making such an off-base comment.

April 12, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • I eat meat

Dr. Spock – my grandmother died last year at the age of 100. She was no vegan or vegetarian. Every person is different. Who cares about research and studies? We all know how it works – eat sensibly (no matter what the food is), and exercise regularly. Duh!

April 12, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • FenDove

My dear 'I eat meat' ~ Surely you have noticed that your grandmother is an exception and not a not a rule in our society?

April 13, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • helloeyes

Exactly. She is allowing the pregnancy dictate her food choices right now and so she should. No shame in making the right choices for the baby. I had a coworker who was raised vegetarianism but her hunger was enormous during her pregnancy and had to shift because "it doesn't cut it" she was always looking around for food, so she had to switch to animal proteins or else she couldn't make it through the work day!

April 13, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • WOW

The sheer ignorance of I Eat Meat's comment above is breathtaking. "Who cares about research and studies?" This is an example of being scientifically illiterate. The commenter thinks her grandmother living to 100 is proof of something. There have been chain smokers who have lived to 100. Does that mean that smokers live just as long as non-smokers? Of course it doesn't...any reasonably educated person knows that's anecdotal evidence. Science is based on the evidence of thousands of people, not just your grandmother. Carl Sagan said 90% of Americans would classify as "scientifically illiterate. This is sadly true!

April 13, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  72. the_dude

I thought she was just awsome in those pirates in the carribean movies.

April 12, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Bad Santa

I've never heard of a more politically correct and "perfect" person than Ms. Portman. Just get over yourself.

April 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  74. SKY

FACT: TO MARRY IS A BETTER FIT!

April 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Bubba

You dang right, Billy Bob! What good is having guns and a grill if you ain't gonna kill something and cook it?

April 12, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Billy Bob

If we ain't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat? I have never met a vegan who could kick my a$$. Wussies!

April 12, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cat

very strange logic... You made from many things.. you know lile sh..t.. so are you eating it as well?:))

April 12, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

Mike Tyson is vegan and so is Mac Danzig (Ultimate Fighter Champion). Without even knowing who you are I will bet my house that both can beat you senseless although it seems you are already there with such an ignorant comment.

April 12, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zippy

LMAO! Too funny!

April 18, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  77. GeeWhizBeav

This is disappointing to hear. I am vegan and I still have cravings for the things I used to eat, but I have willpower, and I choose to say No to those cravings. I swear that women will use pregnancy, PMS, etc. as an excuse to eat junk that they know isn't good for them. Why the self-destructive behavior? Now, a baby is involved, and that baby is being subjected to foods that she knows are not good for her.

April 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • AreYouSerious?

OMG! You are so judgemental it's ridiculous!

April 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

I agree. I'm not even vegan, but just say it: I gave in, I don't have the will power.

April 12, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Who are you

eggs and dairy are so bad for you? Since when?

April 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • GeeWhizBeav

Re: eggs – http://www.alternet.org/story/147973/
      Re: milk – http://www.notmilk.com/

April 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Mind your own stomach as*face.

April 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lettuce Prey

Human beings are omnivores. Get over it.

April 12, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Talk to the Hand

have you had a baby before???

April 12, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Featherstone

Are you afraid you will lose your vegan powers?

April 12, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • dx2718

Actually, cravings during pregnancy are caused by nutritional deficiencies. Most doctors and religions advise following one's cravings during pregnancy because it usually means your baby and/or you need something you're not getting from your existing diet. She's eating that stuff not despite knowing it's bad for her – but actually knowing it's good for her, at least during pregnancy. Cravings during pregnancy are different from any other kind of cravings and you obviously haven't been pregnant (probably are male and couldn't get pregnant if you wanted to). Deal with morning sickness and then criticize.

April 13, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
    • FenDove

This reply is for dx: ~I am 6 months pregnant, vegan, and craving oreos and jelly donuts. Please tell me what nutritional deficiency it is I am suffering cause I would love the excuse.

April 13, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Suz

Wow. I'm a vegetarian (nearly vegan) – but you give people who choose this lifestyle a really bad name.

No wonder people think vegetarians/vegans are sanctimonious dbags. It's people like you that create that perception!

Be the boss of your own body and your own morals – not somebody else's!

April 13, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

I agree with Suz...completely. A lot of people don't give the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle a chance because there are so many people that are so "all-or-nothing" about it. A few years ago, I was the only vegetarian in a house of 4 people. I never pushed it on anyone but would offer my vegetarian food to any of my roommates that were willing to try it. I ended up getting a lot of my friends to eat more fruits and vegetables, more organic food, and healthier food in general. Did I convert any of them to full-on vegetarian/vegan diets? No, but like I said I wasn't trying to and the result was a good one. If I had been all high and mighty about being a vegetarian and pushed it on them or tried to guilt trip them into it, they'd all be sitting there chewing on sirloins just to spite me. Generally speaking, vegetarians and vegans can be very quick to judge and they can be condescending. When someone tells them that they are thinking about a pescetarian diet for example, they can't just take that as a good thing – they have to start blabbering on about how they shouldn't eat fish either. Honestly, I think that a lot of vegetarians and vegans don't want the whole world to give up animal products because then they wouldn't have a basis for feeling so bloody superior to everyone else.

If Natalie Portman doesn't want to be a strict vegan while she's pregnant its really none of our business. Obviously she felt the need to be forthcoming about it so there wouldn't be a bunch of pictures of her eating food in magazines with headlines like "cheating vegan!!!" It's too bad she can't just make her choices in peace.

April 13, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

@GeeWhizBeav:

In that article you cite as proof that eating eggs is unhealthy, only one of the eight "reasons" listed actually has anything to do with human health, and as the article itself states, that one health claim has been contradicted and disputed many times over. Dr. Arthur Agatston, cardiologist, created a diet for his patients specifically to reduce their risk of heart disease and diabetes. In every "phase," whole eggs - not just egg whites - are allowed to be eaten on an unrestricted basis, meaning there is no limit on the number of whole eggs you can eat a day as part of a healthy diet that is designed to decrease your risk for heart disease and diabetes and to help you lose weight. This diet has helped keep all of Dr. Agatston's patients, all of whom came to him at a high risk for heart attack, from actually developing diabetes or heart disease, except for one patient who was at such high risk that he did have a heart attack after initially visiting with Dr. Agatston. So it seems that your article's claim that eating eggs contributes to diabetes is not only false, but that incorporating whole eggs into an otherwise healthy diet will actually reduce risk of diabetes and heart disease.

The other seven "reasons" to stay away from eggs listed in that article have nothing to do with human health. Many, if not all, of the concerns raised in these other "reasons" can be avoided by buying organic, cage-free eggs.

In closing, that article you posted is useless, and your claims that Ms. Portman is being unhealthy by going off her vegan diet are baseless.

April 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • helloeyes

Both veganism and vegetarianism are viable lifestyles. The fact that she is putting her ideals aside to cater to what the baby obviously needs right now makes her a good mother, not a narcissist who won't put herself aside for her baby. Right now she is doing what she is compelled to do for the sake of the baby. The baby is what's important now.

April 13, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

Humans are omnivores, we require nutrients from both plant and animal sources. It's completely a personal choice if you choose not to eat those things, but to choose to give your unborn child balanced nutrition is hardly something to condemn.

April 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat in IL

Did you miss the part about eggs and milk, etc.? I'm sure that she has a very fine doctor with whom she consults, and that she is perfectly healthy. It would be criminal to deny the baby needed nutrients like B12, protein, etc.

April 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • @FenDove

I would imagine your body is craving carbohydrates which frequently manifests as a craving for sweets or bread. Veganism is NOT a healthy lifestyle, which is why you have to take supplements. Living with a BALANCED diet is the only truly healthy option. For a human being that involves fruit, vegetables, protein from eggs or lean meat, and fish. You do not HAVE to have dairy, but it is not bad for you.

April 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • sigmundfreud

Geewhizbeav:

Don't be an idiot. You've made a lifestyle choice, based partly on your personal ethics and partly on bad science. You've made your choice – how wonderful for you.

But to say that her baby is is "being subjected to foods that she knows are not good for her" is the mark of a total bigot, ignoramus, and fool.

April 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • somename

So, human biology has developed for the last 100,000 years by eating meat, grain, fruits, vegetables, dairy, etc and now in the last 100 years people get it into their heads that meat and dairy are somehow bad for you. The crickets chirp in the void of this logic. If your argument is processed foods, additives, and modern food preparations than the argument is there to be made, otherwise the vegetarian argument makes as much sense as telling birds that they shouldn't eat worms despite millions of years of evolution. Hope that works out for ya.

April 13, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Molly

Veganism is very unhealthy for pregnant women and young children. There have been cases of young children have developmental growth problems while on a vegan diet. Humans have been eating animal products since we inhabited the earth. Also, I've never heard of a person living to the ripe old age of 100 who was a vegan, maybe a vegetarian, but not a vegan.

April 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mom22

Fendove: Oreos are vegan! Have at it!

April 22, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robyn

Sometimes a craving is not just something we want, it is our body telling us it requires something. I have heard of pregnant women eating straight up dirt for the minerals. I'm sure no one is eating dirt because it's tasty. It's not all about willpower.

April 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

@FenDove -

Fat and calories. Babies need both to grow and develop their nervous systems properly. Have some avocado instead, if that more floats your boat, but eat some fat.

May 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  78. madhater

Don't eat your baby.

April 12, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

@B=Dork: Then why are you here? And, more importantly, why so angry? You are the reason celebrities have bodyguards. Scary.

April 12, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • led9

Veganism is unhealthy. Period. Eat what humans are naturally supposed to eat: Meat, eggs, green vegetables, some fruits and nuts, no grains and you'll be healthy.

April 12, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guin

Hey led9, crack a book sometime. I am sure that the many healthy vegans on the planet would disagree with you.

April 12, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • OkSure

April 12, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • runninwild

@OkSure: So, I'm guessing you eat only organic then? If not, all the pesticide and nitrogen heavy fertilizer being used to grow your fruits and veggies are doing a whole lot of harm to many of God's innocent creatures. Also if you are all about the suffering of animals, why are you not vegan? Have you ever seen how egg producing chickens live? Or dairy cows? While I am in agreement with some of what you say, you should really monitor the stones you cast, as you may have some interesting karma coming back at ya.

April 13, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Facts

If veganism is unhealthy as you say, then why do a group of vegans have the overall highest longevity of Americans (Google Blue Zones Loma Linda, CA Seventh Day Adventists) ? Rhetoric is easy to spew but facts are hard to beat.

April 13, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • GoodToTheLastDrop

When I first saw the headline I thought it said "Natalie Portman no longer a Virgin". That made me smile until I saw the word "Vegan" in its place. Now I am glad that the baby has a chance to be normal and not have the family starve it of precious minerals like that couple did in France.

April 14, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
    • rmsbl4

To all the vegans, what are your shoes made of ,your wallets,purses,couches etc? Did all this leather fall like manna from the sky?

April 14, 2011 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Bones

@rmsbl4

Um, dude? Shoes and purses don't HAVE to be made of leather. There's no rule that says that.

There's a company called Vegetarian Shoes, for example, and there's old favorites like Converse Chuck Taylors that are not made of leather (though whether they are true vegan shoes I don't know, as there could be animal-based products elsewhere in the manufacturing process).

You really, really need to think before you shoot your mouth off, because when what you say amounts to, "I think there's a rule that says ALL SHOES must be made of leather!" you really come off like an idiot. Vegans don't use animal products for anything, period.

Maybe you're a kid, though. In that case, you get a pass for not knowing much about the world yet.

April 14, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Shan

@rmsbl4 - google mooshoes

April 22, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • JG

You were born with incisors for a reason. They're meant to tear meat from bone. We are omnivores, and our physiology is built around that idea. Being a vegan or vegitarian is the worst thing you can do to yourself – regardless of what some new-age hippie "lifestyle advisor" tells you.

Idiots.