Olivia Wilde returns on 'House'
April 12th, 2011

Olivia Wilde returns on 'House'

[Editor's Note: If you have yet to see last night's "House," look out -- there are plenty of spoilers below.]

Dr. Remy "Thirteen" Hadley was back on "House" Monday night, and as the most controversial character in the history of the show, it was hard to know what to expect. For one thing, we had no idea where she had been all this time.

Olivia Wilde, of course, had been off working on movies like "Tron: Legacy" and the upcoming "Cowboys & Aliens." She really made the most of her return, though, in what was her best performance ever. All of her scenes opposite Hugh Laurie made this the strongest episode of a very uneven (hopefully not final) season.

As for the character of Thirteen, it turned out she had been in jail all of this time, but her varying explanations for it didn't convince House, who of course had to find out the truth.

In the meantime, we had a hoarder as patient of the week. Is an "Extreme Couponing" patient next? This gave Chase and Masters something to do, but it was hardly the most compelling case we've ever seen.

Oh, and Taub got back together with his wife. Surprise! Another storyline from this season that hasn't been terribly interesting.

Again, this episode was worth it for the Thirteen storyline (it's amazing that I'm even writing that, considering past seasons). Best of all, the truth came out at a Spud Gun competition, where House faced off with his college-age nemesis, Harold. (And as a bonus, "Lost" co-mastermind Damon Lindelof made a cameo and got a knee to the groin courtesy of Thirteen).

So, what was it that got Thirteen in jail? She euthanized her brother, who was suffering from Huntington's Disease. And as she returned home, House promised her that he would do the same for her, if she asked him.

Hopefully, the rest of the season can continue to be as powerful as this episode was. What did you think of it? Are you glad to have Thirteen back, or do you wish she had stayed in jail? Share your iReport or comment below.

1. brooklynpark

Would you like to have your face added to the No. 1 Cowboys & Aliens Chevrolet Nascar? Now you can with the Cowboys & Aliens Face Car! Enter now: http://bit.ly/lhWIFn

July 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. brooklynpark

-Have you ever wanted to see a NASCAR race up close and personal? How about the view from the car? Upload photos of you, your family, dog, or whatever you’d like and have it added to the No. 1 Cowboys & Aliens Chevrolet Nascar! Upload here: http://bit.ly/lhWIFn

June 28, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. wayne martin

Any thoughts on how hot Olivia Wilde is in the new movie Change-Up?! http://bit.ly/m1vf74

May 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jaycee

Delighted that Olivia is back and Amber is gone – she did not fit in! This was my favorite show, however, House is getting too irrational. He needs a few weeks back at rehab, which were some of the best episodes and then get back with Cuddy.

May 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tom Bruce

"House" is one of only five shows that I consider "Must see TV." True, this has been somewhat of a lackluster season, but episodes like this one keep me hanging in there. I am happy to see Thirteen back. Not only because it is a terrific character and she is a superb actressm - if only Cuddy were half as good - but Olivie is HOT!. Keep her. Euthenize Taub and Cuddy.

April 16, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. NumberOneHouseFan

I am glad 13 is back! I believe it is going to be interesting to see what happens with the story line now she is back. Will it help Masters to relax a little? As for the controversial story line aren't they all when it comes to "House"?

April 14, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. dogs rule

Please keep Olivia on! She's awesome. Amber Tamblyn is annoying and can't act worth a lick! What a dull, uninteresting character/personality she is. Wish she would just disappear, double chin and all....
    "Thirteen" at least has some depth to her character and she's drop-dead gorgeous to boot!

April 14, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. 14

@Debbie well eventhough House might be a drug addict and he might misdiagnose at first but he almost always gets its right at the end. and u gotta remember these are special cases that are sent to him that other wise would be left to die, so hes very good at what he does.

April 13, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Colleen

Since last year's showing of House's growth after his rehab event I have been mezmerized by the facial expressions and the literal wordless beauty of Hugh Laurie's acting as he expresses conflict, fear, love and pain in House. I could not believe how good last night was. My only complaint was the Taub thing with his ex/soon-to-be-ex. It was predictable and not very interesting. The bonding with Foreman and Taub was more interesting. I was glad to hear Foreman voice what I was thinking was would Taub hook up with the young Med student. My other complaint is about Wilson. Not enough Wilson lately.

April 13, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Charles North

I got bored with the house character, but was pleasantly surprised to see 13 return to show..Finally a character with
    Normal issues.House is just a moran with a talent to ask the right questions to arive at the solutionsAnd lets not forgat all those close up looks that supposedly really means that he is thinking..Its a bluff folks

April 13, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Martha Cothran

I loved the episode, it was brillient! Loved how crazy out there it was to see 13 coming out of jail and House meeting her with a Martini ...very classy i thought.
    The rest of the episode was a well rounded House episode.
    I hope that House is around for a long long time!! Thanks

April 13, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ct2k12830

I am so happy she is back and i hope she get back with the Omar Epps (Char: Eric Foreman) character – it seems they are both extremely unsatisfied separated

April 13, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jeff

OUTSTANDING! One for the books. Welcome back 13! As for Debbie why do you watch? You seem to know a lot about the show. CHILL ITS TV!!

April 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nanette

I thought House was off the Vicodin–did he relapse?

April 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Debbie

For the life of me I can't imagine why people want to watch a drug addicted doctor who misdiagnoses every case he gets.

April 13, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  16. arch

I wouldn't read too much into the story. These writers who believe this is the way for them to get their points out there are fools a lot of the time. OW is an attractive woman, but not the best looking one on this earth. I am interested in is what are they going to do with the other girl on the show. It seemed like the blond guy has a thing for her. Just wondering if they are going to keep her on or let her go. If they let her go they should have her going out telling House where to stick it and reporting him to the AMA for his idiotic vic addition! That is so stupid. If he were to take, what appears to be about 6 vics at a time, he would be having serious problems with his liver and kidneys. Vicodin has a lot of acetaminophen (375 to 750 mg each tab) and you have to drink a ton of water to make sure you flush your kidneys constantly! Quite honestly, it's a joke. If he is going to be an addict, then have him taking something that is more real, like 120mg of oxycontin a day. Make it where is he crushing it so he can snot it and get a quick high. Stuff like what he is doing would not happen (in the open) like what is going on on the show. The hospital and all the people he know would be fired and the hospital would be shut down. Make the show real. Who would actually take what this guy says to them or listen to what he has to say. If I were in the hospital and this joker came in and said something idiotic to me I would probably floor him. It's a joke. There is no logic in their approach to things. Sort of like the CSI shows where they have the crime solved in one day! Make these shows more real life!

April 13, 2011 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Gary

They have shows that are real – Life in the ER, 48 Hours, ... that deal with this subject matter. This is a drama – the medical side is there to drive the human drama, not to be considered a factual representation of real life.

April 13, 2011 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

House is clearly a modern day Sherlock Holmes (surely you've noticed how similar the names are, not to mention "Wilson" and "Watson"). Nothing about the way Sherlock Holmes solved his cases was even remotely realistic ("He's the killer because he has bushy eyebrows, Watson!") and House is just carrying on that tradition. It's meant to be ludicrous, and it is.

April 13, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Johnny

Damn, dude. Are you short circuiting because the show fails a logic test? It's a SHOW. It's not meant to be reality TV. I can just see you running around your house mumbling, "does not compute, does not compute." Relax and enjoy something for a change.

April 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Um, they *can* have more than one girl on the team...? I'm hoping for some interesting clashes if nothing else.

April 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maka

Really? Cause it looked to me like Chase wants nothing to do with Masters. Like the rest of the team.

April 18, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  17. truthinrock

One of the most funny scripts ever written! The JW reference after 13 gets back in the car, had me literally falling out of my chair laughing!

April 12, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. B lo me

I know what B=DOG meant a**cracks and what i said has truth

April 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Hmmm...

@B=Dog I knew what u meant & I agree w/ u all the way. My dog went out peacefully, my Mom (&family) have to suffer! What's wrong w/ that pic ?

April 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  20. B lo me

@B=Dog u r so right anytime someone can get more time in prison for killing dogs than a person gets for getting drunk getting behind the wheel hitting and killing a man something is truely wrong

April 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris

B=DOG was referring to the fact that we are allowed to have our dogs put to sleep when they are in extreme amounts of pain. We do not allow humans that choice. We allow humans to suffer to the very end instead of letting them choose when they want to go. People should be allowed to die with their dignity.

April 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. DC fan

I liked the episode, and I enjoyed how 13's story unfolded bit by bit. I hope House comes back for another season.

April 12, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. B lo me

13 is an attractive woman. I didnt see the show my question is did they go into 13 and foremans relationship

April 12, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  23. Loren

Amazing episode if only for the acting. The close-ups of both Wilde and Laurie showed what excellent actors they are as their faces visibly ran through emotions that were truly believable. Whatever the faults with the rest of the story, I disagree that they are given that the scenes are further explorations of those characters, the acting of Wilde and Laurie was well worth those supposed flaws.

April 12, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I agree. The scene where 13 tells House "No wonder Cuddy left you" was a heart stopper. The closeups showed how much pain could be conveyed by their expressions. Best show of the season.

April 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Charlie Murphy

I hope Fred Sanford beats the snot out of them !

April 12, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  25. Goofy One

Episode was amazing! I for one have always been a 13 fan (the only reason I started watching the show) & since then I have turned in to an Olivia Wilde fan – she is not only talented and beautiful but an inspirational young woman! Hope she succeeds in everything she attempts!

April 12, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  26. ryan

So glad 13 is back, besides being gorgeous, she is s really interesting character. Too bad they didn't get to shoot Masters with the spud gun though, so done with her.

April 12, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • jrs

THANK YOU...I cannot stand the Masters character.I want to mute it every time she opens her yap. I really thought her character was very cliched and a sign of lazy writing to stand up against House. Yes, the retun of 13 was the best episode in a while

April 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Outhouse.

House is for crap.

April 12, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Rich

Then don't watch! For one of your....caliber...I'd recommend Sponge Bob Squarepants.

April 13, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Dyna

I found the show disturbing. My fiance' has the Huntington's Disease. I felt as though the show was making it sound okay for assisted suicide. My 13 year old son had lots of questions after the show. They were some pretty rough questions since they dealt with assisted suicide. The actors and actresses were fabulous in there jobs but iffy on the storyline.

April 12, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • B=DOG

Assisted Suicide IS ok and it should be legal. We treat our animals better than people in this county.

April 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • name

Have you considered maybe not letting your child watch the show? Seeing as it is TV-14? Also if you find it so offensive just don't watch...

April 12, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

you probably shouldn't be letting your 13 year old watch it in the first place

April 12, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

True that they didn't go into much of an ethical debate about euthanasia/assisted suicide. Obviously 13 and House had already decided where they stood. But also obviously, her brother had got to the stage where he personally decided he did not want to go on with the quality of life he was left with, and obviously, it was a very hard thing emotionally for her. The subject was not taken lightly. And if your 13 yr. old was upset ... well that is what the ratings and the "Viewer Discretion is Advised" warning is for! All the best to your and your fiance though.

April 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • eldono

Was it OK for your 13 year old son to have questions? Without the show he wouldn't have had questions, would he? I understand your sensitivity to the show due to your situation. I probably would have had an issue with the show if the "problem" had to do with left handed bald men.

April 13, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • wzrd1

Dyna, excellent display of cowardice! Rather than confront an issue, you ignore it and become upset when your teen age son asks questions. I have news for you, as a parent whose children are grown and out of the house, the questions get even harder the older he gets.
      Now, a bit more about me. I am retired from the Army, retired last year. I did a few things over the course of my career, including being a Special Forces medic. I did a clinical rotation at a hospital and was assigned the oncology ward, the majority of the patients were terminal and not a single patient lacked their DNR order (Do Not Resuscitate).
      While there, I saw a 98 year old man with terminal cancer, who weighed 92 pounds. He had a bed sore in his hip large enough to drop a softball into and you could actually see bone in the wound.
      He was constantly moaning with pain, but was on the maximum dose of morphine via IV pump.
      That day, I decided which side I am on regarding euthanasia. We'll euthanize animals and pets. But humans deserve to suffer and NOT be offered a choice? I've watched families tear themselves a part watching a loved one circle the drain for an extended period of time and suffering.
      WHO appointed YOU God, to force others to follow YOUR views and beliefs?
      Why is it that adults cannot be permitted to make their own choices in such matters when their suffering becomes so severe, their quality of life so poor, their outlook so dim, that they consider death a blessing that is denied until their body completely fails, a slow torture into the grave?
      If you are going to make such choices for ME, then you must be my mother and I am a minor child. So, I'll send you my bills, so that you can pay them.
      Otherwise, stand up straight, be an adult, explain to your son, regardless of how uncomfortable it is to you personally, indeed explain your discomfort. Your son will respect you all the more for it.
      And don't decide for ME my path in life or death if I have a terminal illness.
      You didn't choose my weapons loadout when I went to war to protect you, don't choose my final choices in life or death now or later.

April 13, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Colleen

Dyna: I think it was good that you had to field questions from your child. It is something that well written shows can do is bring up subjects that don't normally come out at the supper table. This show has dealt with suicide and assisted suicide before both with a doctor's view and a patient's view. Also they addressed suicide with Kutner. I was traumatized for a month after that episode. For a more serious and thoughtful piece on the subject that addresses it, throughout the storyline that includes the patient case check out "Coma guy's Son" with John Laroquette. Im not saying last night's show was bad. I thought the acting and the writing was stellar. I had to answer questions with my10 yr old. I don't think the subject matter was beyond my child or that she should not have been watching. If she could form the questions and want some responses from me so much the better.

April 13, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred

OK, as to "wzrd1", GI Joe, the Army medic, or whomever the hell you are, the minute you said "Now a bit more about me" I pretty much turned you off. That's a clear indication that someone is about to arrogantly start blowing their own horn. We're all very happy you're so impressed with yourself. If you can extricate the American flag from your ass for a second and come up for air, why don't you join the civil discussion.

April 13, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

I'm not at all sure that ANY episode of this program is fit for a 13-year-old. Not only is the ongoing banter very "adult" in nature, but also a thirteen-year-old will hardly appreciate the historical and cultural allusions dispersed throughout the dialogue. Both characters, House and Thirteen, were true to themselves in this episode...a welcome return away from the bland abyss!!

April 13, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lea

Dyna – First, I can not even begin to imagine what you and your family is going through. I've lost family members to Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease and it is difficult to watch a loved one go through such things. I will pray for you and your family.

I can understand how you would find the show disturbing especially for your 13 yr old child. I have a 13 yr old son myself and I have gradually learned over the past few months that while there are things he can handle watching there are things he can't. Having said that, if there is a series that he likes to watch with me, I watch the show while it is being DVR'd. If I find it appropriate for him then I allow him to watch it and I watch it with him just in case of any questions.

As for euthanasia – I can't say that I agree with it. I understand why people feel that it is necessary, but for me, right now, as a Christian, I can't say that I would condone it. I fight several 'ethical' battles daily on issues like this. While I can't agree with it right now, doesn't mean I would make the same choice if it were to come up. I can't say that if one of my parents, sisters, or even, God-forbid, one of my children were in such despair and agony that it wouldn't cross my mind. People have to make their own choices and they have to live with them (no pun intended).

April 14, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

Not everything is about KIDS! The show is for mature audiences. Obviously, that does not include you. Don't watch!

April 14, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  29. Greg House

ive been a fan of house since it began and that was one of the best episodes i have ever seen! 13 is legit.

April 12, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |