Jamie Oliver's ready for a new 'Food Revolution'
April 12th, 2011

Jamie Oliver's ready for a new 'Food Revolution'

British chef Jamie Oliver has faced resistance before in his crusade to improve school lunches worldwide, but his experience taping the second season of "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" in Los Angeles has proven to be quite the challenge.

Oliver and his film crew ended up being banned from filming at all Los Angeles Unified School District schools, and the conflict has become a focal point of the new season, which premieres tonight on ABC.

"I never really expected to be banned from every single school in the district," Oliver said. "My goal is certainly not to fight with the school district."

The district has been quoted as saying they've suspended filming of all reality TV shows in district schools, citing problems with other shows and issues it had with the first season of "Revolution," which was filmed in Huntington, West Virginia. Oliver thinks the district doesn't want to open itself up to criticism.

"It's about lack of transparency and not wanting to have someone poking through their laundry drawer," Oliver noted. "If the district were a private company funded by their own money, I wouldn't mind being kept out. But this is a public organization that affects so many and is controlled by so few. It just doesn't feel right to me."

Oliver says he hopes to meet with the district's new superintendent in the coming days to discuss the possibility of filming inside city schools.

Despite the hurdles, Oliver found Los Angeles to be a fascinating subject for the new "Revolution" season.

"Los Angeles is home to some of the healthiest people in the world, and you can find some of the most wonderful food there," Oliver noted, "but inside the city, there is incredible poverty. People without cars have to travel three hours round-trip to get fresh food."

Oliver hopes to build on the success of "Revolution's" first season, noting that the principles he introduced in Huntington, West Virginia, continue to thrive.

"Everything we set up in Huntington is still running and succeeding, and the residents are doing even more, from farmers' markets to local restaurants and fitness clubs."

Oliver says "Food Revolution" is more than just a TV show, but an opportunity to do something to make things better.

"We don't want people just to watch the show then turn over and get on with life. I hope that people will get peeved off with some of the stuff they see in a really healthy way."

"The 'Food Revolution' isn't that complicated," Oliver went on. "It's all about trying to get Americans to expect more and get them a bit more streetwise about food in general. Even something simple like cooking once a week with your family can spur change for the better."

"Food Revolution's" new season begins tonight at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. Jetv Wegerd

I additionally believe that mesothelioma is a extraordinary form of most cancers that is usually found in those previously familiar with asbestos. Cancerous cells form from the mesothelium, which is a safety lining which covers many of the body's internal organs. These cells typically form while in the lining with the lungs, tummy, or the sac that encircles one's heart. Thanks for revealing your ideas.

July 10, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. csampson

Loved your show last night. I thought the over-reaction by school board members was excessive and then I thought, Oh, FOLLOW THE MONEY.
    Are there school board members on the take to keep certain food products on the menu? Are some or all of the school board imembers being paid off about where that food comes from AND what's in the food? What food suppliers have "sweet deals" to supply millions of schools with their products? I'm sure big money passes hands with so many schools and students at stake. You are very brave, be very careful.

May 28, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. David Lawrence Dewey

This is author and columnist, David Lawrence Dewey.  I have been writing about the dangers of hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, MSG, excess sugar in processed food and other toxins in the food supply since 1996.

I was the first journalist to warn consumers about hydrogenated oils and aspartame in 1996.

I have written an extensive article about this fiasco with the LAUSD school district and I show by actual school menu items, what is in them and how deadly they are. This has been kept from students, parents for too long.  You can read it on my website at:

If you are a student, I asked you to please read this article and the links to my other articles on the deadly toxins in processed food andhow children as young as ten are developing diabetes, heart disease,learning problems because of poor diet.  Tell your friends about this article and if you have one of these diseases I would like to hear from you.  You can contact me through my website.

Jaime Oliver is trying to save lives, let him in the schools!

April 19, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Laura Gonzales

You've truly inspired me. I refuse to eat fast food unless necessary- especially McDonald's. Its mostly because of you and 'Super size me' that made me want to never want to eat fast food ever again. I am calling you though. My school food is not the best, at all. Bread- crusty and hollow. Mash potatoes- stiff unless you use the gravy which ultimately looks like its full of sodium and fat. The salads are tolerable but I can't stand to see great kids in these schools have diabetes and cholesterol problems when they should be doing what kids do. It doesn't help that SATs are on the way too. Lunch isn't going to keep our minds flowing if it isn't healthy! Please message me if you can help, if not just tell me what I can do to help them.

April 19, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Johnny Juarez

I would Keep pushing towards your goals by going after these schools one by one. We can see that you want a healthy lifestyle for children and for that you deserve more than enough support. Parents should be able to vote i believe because it is there taxes after all that's keeping the public schools running. I believe this country could care less about what they feed their citizens because everyones out to make goal 1 in life, Money. If you care about yourself you'd care about what you eat. -Johnny

April 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Leticia

God bless this man!!!

April 14, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. Deborah

We caught all of the episodes last year–cheered you on every step of way. I believe you do this because you care so much–thank you for trying so hard to help everyone–especially our children.
    I was really disappointed in the on-camera response you received on the first show of this season. Hope that improves drastically.
    Best wishes for success in your endeavor to improve the health of our nation by promoting proper food choices.

April 14, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  8. The future is now

Ii believe Arnold still lives in California, you should get him to go with you to one of these schools, and help you with your message of good eating and excercise, whod would say no to him.

April 14, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • The future is soon.

Arnold is the man. Arnold was the man. Arnold will always be the man.

April 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. A Mom

Food is such an important topic. The amounts of Pesticides, preservatives and chemicals in prepared food as well as "fresh" produce are scary. Then when you look at the sugar added to most foods, it is enough to make a parent cry. I am fortunate enough to be able to feed my family organic food most of the time. I cannot imagine trying to make smart and healthy selections on a tight budget. But even organic prepared foods have added sugar. Thank you Mr. Oliver for you efforts to make an entire generation realize the importance of a healthy diet.

April 13, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jimster

Why are all the LA School board members Mexicans? No wonder the schools are failing and the food is revolting. Do they even speak english or is the LA School district now just for the illegals? And frankly, I dont care what the anchor rats eat for lunch, let em eat ammonia beef

April 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. splasher6

Why does America feel it necessary to have someone with a British accent telling it what to do?

April 13, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darla

I think a question that is more to the point is.. Why is America feeding its children absolute garbage in its public schools and why does it take someone with a British accent to point it out and try to make a change?

April 13, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lyle Lanley

Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
    Like a genuine,
    Bona fide,
    Electrified,
    Six-car
    Monorail!
    What'd I say?
    Monorail!
    What's it called?
    Monorail!
    That's right! Monorail!
    `Monorail'... `Monorail'... `Monorail'... `Monorail'.... `Monorail'...
    I hear those things are awfully loud...
    It glides as softly as a cloud.
    Is there a chance the track could bend?
    Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
    What about us brain-dead slobs?
    You'll be given cushy jobs.
    Were you sent here by the devil?
    No, good sir, I'm on the level.
    The ring came off my pudding can.
    Take my pen knife, my good man.
    I swear it's Springfield's only choice...
    Throw up your hands and raise your voice!
    Monorail!
    What's it called?
    Monorail!
    Once again...
    Monorail!
    But Main Street's still all cracked and broken...
    Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken!
    Monorail!
    Monorail!
    Monorail!

MONORAILl!

Mono... D'oh!

April 13, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tech

looks like he has something in his mouth!

April 13, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  14. Greek

Great program-especially for the US markets where we are led to feel superior. Have to admit I gagged seeing the ammonia mix/fat chunks... And I don't eat red meat for this precise reason, including burgers in well over 12 years- however buy the 80/20 or higher grade hamburger meat -to use in taco's, stuffed foods etc. But will now double check at the market I go to to make sure they don't treat w/ammonia etc. Didn't catch many '10 season, but will check out this years shows. Became a fan. GO FOR IT, IN THE USA.

April 13, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  15. lucillemyers13

Yes most of the brands do give out samples of their products. Look for "123 Get Samples" online and get the samples. They are the best. You wont need CC.

April 13, 2011 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  16. squidbilly

And why can't you this in your native country?

April 13, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Carina

He did, he changed the policies on school food and managed to get additional funding on the state budget for better quality food.

April 13, 2011 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  17. jenny

just got done watching your show and because of your info on sugar in flavored milk i will no longer be giving my 4 kids any flavored milk! I will also be sure to share with other parents what i have learned from you. I thankyou from the bottom my heart for your courage keep up the GREAT work!!!!

April 12, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Hmmm...

I love the ammonia in the burger, yum ! What exactly is the FDA's job, again ?

April 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  19. @ Christine

Thanks to our republicans !

April 12, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! i'M SO SICK OF EVERYBODY BLAMING THE REPUBLICANS FOR EVERYTHING!!!!! MOST TEACHERS AND THEIR UNION ARE DEMOCRATIC, YOU IDIOT!!! SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!!

April 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kate

JAIME .. come to NJ!! We need you here and will EMBRACE what you have to teach !!

April 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Whatever Happened To...

Mike Isabella? Dude are you still out there posting? I kind of miss you.

April 12, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Christine

What are they afraid of ? Keep going after them, you are promoting a wonderful, healthy lifestyle for generations – I think the parents should be getting a vote if cameras are allowed in school, last time I looked it was the taxpayers that fund the public schools – but then again education and health aren't on the top priority list in the good old USA ...

April 12, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  23. danny

Californian's want to tell everyone else how to live their lives but they do not want anyone to tell them anything because they know it all.

April 12, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

...and so do you, apparently, by making such a ridiculous blanket statement.

April 13, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  24. XIng Chao

Thiis is berry berry goood no ?

April 12, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  25. Charlie Murphy

LOL Hungryman :)

April 12, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  26. Lunch Break

He loves a sacklunch in his face.

April 12, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  27. jp

Keep it up Jamie, you're doing great work!

April 12, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |