April 11th, 2011

GLAAD Media Awards honor 'Glee,' 'Modern Family'

The folks at "Glee" and "Modern Family" better make some room on their mantels. Both Emmy-winning shows have been named Outstanding Comedy Series by the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

"Glee" stars Chris Colfer and Mike O'Malley—who play openly gay student Kurt Hummel and his dad, Burt—as well as "Modern Family" actors Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Julie Bowen and Ariel Winter were on hand Sunday to accept their honors at the 22nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles.

(You can see Colfer and O'Malley's acceptance speech in the video above, and Ferguson, Bowen and Winter accept "Modern Family's" award in the video after the jump.)

Kristin Chenoweth was also honored last night with the Vanguard Award, which is given to those who increase the visibility and understanding of the LGBT community in the media through their work. Her award was presented by her "Promises, Promises" cast mate Sean Hayes.

"I want to encourage many people of all faiths to come forward and stand with me," Chenoweth said as she accepted the honor.  "Even if you don't believe in Jesus the way I do, he did teach love - not just tolerance, but acceptance. I'm lucky I had parents who adopted me at birth, conservative Southern Baptists who said, 'You will love everyone the same'...I would like to thank GLAAD for this amazing, amazing honor. This is the biggest honor I have ever received."

Dolly Parton was also at the ceremony to present the Stephen F. Kolzak Award to NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt. "Project Runway" contestant Mondo Guerra accepted the show's Outstanding Reality Program prize, and MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell, who, along with Fort Worth City council member Joel Burns, accepted the Outstanding TV Journalism Segment award for his "Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell" report "Fort Worth Speech."

The Outstanding Film – Limited Release award went to the Jim Carrey/Ewan McGregor comedy "I Love You Phillip Morris," and actress Kirsten Dunst presented a Special Recognition award to 17-year-old Texas student Bianca "Nikki" Peet for her efforts to organize a Gay-Straight Alliance at her high school.

The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community and the issues that affect their lives.

The final round of awards will be presented on May 14 in San Francisco.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Glee • Modern Family • television

1. anonymous

some of you definitely need to look up the meaning of tolerance – your judging others...what if you're wrong?

May 6, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jillian

You know those young kids who committed suicide this year because of online bullying? The reason those kids are dead is because you people like you on here who think its funny to make fun of other human beings. How disgusting. When you have to answer to God for things you have done in your life and comments like this come up, the excuse of "oh it was just a stupid silly online thing" is not going to cut it.

Glee is a reminder to young adults that there are decent human beings on this planet who are not full of hate for anyone different then themselves. Thank goodness we are moving in the direction of tolerance, love, understanding....you know...those things Jesus taught. I don't see anywhere in the bible where Jesus said to verbally abuse people who are gay. Hypocrites on display out in the open on here I guess.

April 19, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rev. Bubba Beauregard

You fairies are all gonna burn! AIDS is proof that you ain't suppossed to do it thattaway! Just get the hell off my tv!

April 12, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. A real Fancy Boy

Ive got the vaseline if you got the hole.

April 12, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. Goober Gobbler

Hi Boys...I will be at my favorite bar this weekend, The Greasy Pole...Too-da-lu!

April 12, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. Fruit by the Foot

Howdy Sailor! If a nine-incher just don't do it for you, give me a shout. They don't call me the "Coney Island C0rnh0ler" for nothing! You'll be wide-eyed and bowlegged!

April 12, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. 3 Dollar Bill

Q: How many queens does it take to change a light bulb? A: 3. 1 to put on the Lady Gaga CD, 1 to mix strawberry daiquiris, & 1 to call Bruce the hunky handyman!

April 12, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. Panty Wearing Fairy

I loved the Glee Kiss and wish I could take the GLAAD award and shove it up my hiney. OH LORD...IM gonna SQUIRT!!

April 12, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. Gay Jason

Hi sunshine

April 12, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. The Real Sunshine Girl *

I think the chubby guy might like the chubby pickle. Does anyone know for sure?

April 12, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bill & Ted

Just means we got better chances with babes cuz there are so many prancing Nancies around here.

April 11, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sunshine Girl *

Dont like Glee much. Then after that man on man kiss, hated it. Modern Family is ok. Ive watched it a couple of times. Out of the 2 of them, MF shouldve won all the awards over glee. I agree with the agendas being pushed on us by both shows. I can make my own decisions without having to be hounded about it. Shame on ABC and FOX.

April 11, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. @N

Gross

April 11, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. @N

i dont think gays or any of that junk is right.that show maks me puke!it also sucks eggs!man how many gay people r attracted to tis article!it is so gross!superhiro,head diva in charge,and sunshine girl* r gay!!u need to c how many gay people there r on tis site.

April 11, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Pink Sock

How do I get this thing back in?

April 11, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  16. 3 Dollar Bill

Deliveries this way Big Boy! ooooh sp@nk me Daddy, I've been bad!

April 11, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. G.A. Ybasher

There's this one gay bar on my route
    downtown that has a sign saying "all Deliveries In Rear". cracks me up every time I pass that sign.

April 11, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Hanover Fist

Don't ask, don't tell. Don't talk about it, don't show it on TV before 10 pm. I don't know why they call it g@y, cuz every queen I've known was phucked up and miserable. Deep down you know it's wrong, don't you?!!

April 11, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. glee sucks

The show is someones agenda and they are determined to stuff it down our throats. It needs to go back into the closet. It has no business on as early as it is. The behavior glorifies the gay life. These are adult decisions not for kiddies. This age thinks drinking at their age is fine. Their judgement is flawed. Teens are very impressionable. Show is so pc it totally sucks!

April 11, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. 3 Dollar Bill

Makes me want to sing show tunes and wear pink!

April 11, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  21. FLAME - ON

Like some silly award from glaad means anything anyway.

April 11, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. B=Dog

Wow.... Chris Colfer is just every single gay stereotype....I can't listen to him thinking of Homer Simpson.

"You know me Marge, I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my h0m0******s FAHHLLAAAMING!"

April 11, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |