Simon Cowell talks 'X Factor' booths and judges
April 8th, 2011

Simon Cowell talks 'X Factor' booths and judges

Can't make it to one of  "The X Factor" audition cities?

No worries, just pop into a booth.

During the month of April, aspiring "X Factor" contestants will be able to record their auditions in booths located in Honolulu, Hawaii; Phoenix, Arizona; Nashville, Tennessee;  Anchorage, Alaska; Kansas City, Kansas; and Denver, Colorado.

During a conference call on Thursday, "X Factor" creator Simon Cowell said the booths will allow for an even broader search for the next big star by touching areas where auditions weren't being held.

"When we spoke to Fox and we spoke to [sponsor] Pepsi, they wanted to get a bigger reach," Cowell said.  "The idea is that we go into as many cities as we can and give more people the opportunity to audition."

The auditions have been going well, said Cowell, who added that he will be viewing the contestants at a later stage in the auditioning process.

"Everybody thinks that I had seen  Susan [Boyle] before,I'd never met her in my life," Cowell said. "So when she sang for us the first time and I was genuinely shocked. I like that feeling and that's why I haven't been to any of the open calls yet."

The world will have to wait a bit longer to be surprised with an announcement of who will be joining Cowell and Antonio "L.A." Reid at the judges table, Cowell said. The former "Idol" judge didn't discuss whether Cheryl Cole will be  a judge, but he confirmed that Black Eyed Peas lead singer Fergie's name is in the mix.

"All I can tell you is that her name was put forward, but like with a lot of other people we've spoken to we have to check out everyone's availability," he said. "It's not a two-day a week job this. When you're in the live shows, because you are mentoring the contestants you are working five, six days a week."

It's a sought after gig and Cowell said there is plenty of discussion going on behind the scenes about potential judges with lots of opinions being shared. Some potential  judges have even taken it upon themselves to audition, he said.

"In Miami today, out of the blue, Gloria Estefan turns up and apparently she did a fantastic job," Cowell said. "I had no idea she was going to be there."

One thing fans do know now is that the show will have a pair of co-hosts.

Cecile Frot-Coutaz, chief executive officer of  FremantleMedia North America which produces the show, told The Hollywood Reporter that there will be two hosts.

The new competition will be very different from Cowell's last stint on "American Idol" (which FremantleMedia also produces),  she said.

“Our job is to make sure the two shows are as distinct as possible,” Frot-Coutaz told The Hollywood Reporter. “For example: We’re making sure there are two entirely different teams with no overlap in terms of individuals who are working on both shows. And from a format and tonal standpoint, they’re very different."

1. Amanda

Is there a link as to where all the booths are through out the U.S?

May 5, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Deborah Spruill

I respect Simon to the highest because of his honesty that is what make him who he is. Give credit where credit is due, american idol will never be the same without simon cowell. I pan to audition with the 'X Factor because I know Simon will be honest and fair with everyone.

April 14, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jacquel harrison

helllo Mr. Simon Cowell I respect your honesty and only if others felt the same they would come hafe stepping

April 14, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • jacquell

Let me correct myself what I meant to say was if others felt the same they wouldn't come hafe stepping

April 14, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tif

Who ever came up with the booth idea is very creative. lol. Now they should come up with another booth that teleports potential a contestant from their city of residence to the audition location. Hmmmm... Maybe I should get that patented!

April 11, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sunshine Girl*

Why does everyone act like American Idol would've never succeeded w/out Simon? He wasn't the only judge on the show, and by no means, did he alone make the show. Quit giving him so much credit. The 'X Factor' will only survive if he's not on it. He's nothing more than an arrogant/egotistical/British blowhard.

April 10, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolly2

Get out of the sun, sunshine girl so you can see what you're saying. Simon and Paula made AI.

April 12, 2011 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. Head Diva In Charge

Yes everyone that reads my blogs knows i'm a wine-o. I clip coupons and scan the bar for rich men. etc..lol. Yea I'm real cool because I drink jugs of wine..lol

April 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. madhater

Hey friends! Simon sucks balls.

April 8, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Head Diva In Charge

Oh how I would love to meet him and worship him! He is the man with a plan alright!

April 8, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Head Diva In Charge

Now with Idol being so great, this just CAN'T fail for him. He best find some good singers!

April 8, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. yeah

Simon is a good one. Lots of people dont like him but i think he is honest and funny.

April 8, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Interesting

When Simon is involved that usually means success.

April 8, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |