NBC's Sleuth channel becomes Cloo TV
April 8th, 2011

NBC's Sleuth channel becomes Cloo TV

NBC is hoping you’ll clue in to Cloo TV. Formerly known as the Sleuth channel, Cloo airs reruns of crime and mystery shows like “JAG,” “Law & Order” and “Walker: Texas Ranger.”

NBCUniversal (formerly NBC Universal) hasn’t officially announced the change. But one insider told TV Guide: “We understand our viewers' passion for crime and mystery ... While we're serious about our content, we never take ourselves too seriously."

Apparently so. The company changed their Sci Fi Channel to Syfy in 2009, citing the need to go from a genre to a unique brand name.  And they’re not the only company to have changed their marketing strategy in hopes of attracting a larger audience.
Some channels don’t go as drastic – for instance, Discovery Communications announced this week that its Science Channel will now be known as just Science. Others are quite the transformation.

The Nashville Network was once a country music lover’s dream. In 2000 it switched to TNN, The National Network. It eventually became known as SPIKE TV.

The male-oriented network’s shows like “MANswers” and “1000 Ways to Die” are certainly a long way from bluegrass and twang.

Other channels have simply cut down on their word count – gradually switching from The Learning Channel to TLC and from Arts & Entertainment to A&E in order to offer broader content. AMC, TBS and others followed suit.

Others choose to only change their logos.

Comedy Central released a new copyright-esque logo in December 2010 that had critics questioning its strategy. “The overall effect is a little more ‘high-end design magazine’ than it is ‘channel that plays ‘Ghostbusters 2’ a lot on weekends,’ ” New York magazine wrote.

We do have to give Cloo (and Syfy for that matter) some credit. The silly names attract attention.

Tell us what you think of the change in the comments below.

1. Will

Please don't drop Jag.It truely is a"GREAT SHOW."

September 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sandra

A full day of Mannix was a real treat. Now if you could only find the missing episodes you would really have solved a mystery!!!

August 17, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Arthur

Yes I enjoy watching Jag,Ncis,Ncis La but how come Walker Texas Ranger has not been available for over a month.When will it return??

May 15, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. Helen Redicker

I hope you don't continue to take Jag off. I always look forward to it.. And ncis and the ncis LA

November 25, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sylvia

I agree 100% with Beatrice. PLEASE STOP THOSE MESSAGES DURING OUR SHOWS. She's right, it is ANNOYING.
    I agree also with Carla and Flyinghigh. I would also like to see those shows as well as S.W.A.T. I'd like also more N.C.I.S. I enjoy watching JAG and hope we won't see less of it. A few episodes a week is not enough.

October 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Beatrice

I am so disappointed that Cloo has started to show pop-up messages on my favorite shows. We know what we're watching and if there's anything we need to know about the channel and its programs, well we can see that during commercials. Please stop those messages. All networks are doing it. It's pointless and so annoying. Thank you.

October 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. flyinghigh

Consider adding: Matt Houston, FBI, Crossing Jordan, Cannon, The Incredible Hulk; Hart to Hart, Quincy, Hunter, Hill Street Blues, Cold Case, The Untouchables, Kojak, Jake & the Fat Man, Ironside, Mike Hammer, Hawaii Five O, Bionic Man, The District,The Law & Harry McGraw, McMillan & Wife, Philip Marlowe-Private Eye, Police Woman, The Rockford Files, The Rookies, Silk Stockings, Spenser For Hire & Wiseguy. Thanks.

October 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Carla

I like your lineup. However, I would like to see shows like: The Streets of San Fran., The Fugitive, Barnaby Jones, Mannix,Vegas (with Robert Ulrich as Dan Tanna), Columbo, Murder She Wrote, etc. Thanks

October 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pippinueen

I hope that this comment isn't suppose to respond to the above comments because I haven't a cloo as to what they're referring to. My comment is this: I would like to see some of the older detective shows on cloo, ex. Columbo and Murder She Wrote!! Also, a few less commercials between segments.

September 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GJK

When SCI-FY changed it's name to SYFY it has gone down hill. They decided to get into chasing ghost and pushing fake wrestling and I predict that they have similar programming changes for SLEUTH oh now CLOO.

August 14, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • smerd

GJK, SyFy Channel changed it's name in 2009. Ghost Hunters has been on the air since about 2004....do the math.

August 16, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SABROSO

THE NEW CHANNEL NAME ( CLOO TV) STINKS AND SUCKS, KEEP SLEUTH CHANNEL NAME WHY MEST WITH SOMETING THAT IS NOT BROKEN !!!!!

June 2, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The Real Sunshine Girl

Seek diva!

April 10, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Head Diva In Charge

I just went out and bought me a bucket of KFC chicken! Whooo weeee!!! Me are going to be licking my finger good because it's finger licking good!

April 10, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Alex

"Cloo", huh? Yet another victory in the battle to make Americans illiterate, or at least bad spellers.

April 10, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. B lo me

MLK was a Jig-a-boo.

April 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. the real B lo me

Frito, you are a weakling and enjoy the chubby pickle.

April 10, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. frito

yuckl. it is already sunday.

April 10, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  18. shoshana

wobderful

April 10, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  19. madhater

@chance: I is all growed up. I is this many years old, and my mommy sez I can type what eber I want, cuz I is a big boy now. I am in pullups, not diapers, and these have Batman on the front, too. so nyah nyah nyah!

April 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  20. gaerbe

Have u ever seen the Thriller Channel ? It is the best channel on TV.

April 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  21. gaerbe

What you talkin bout willis ?

April 9, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. yeah

I sure hope this doesnt make the pollen worse. The dang air looks yellow here because ther is so much.

April 9, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  23. chance

You are all children, acting like stupid pigs!!!! Grow up all of you!!!

April 9, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  24. chance

you are all sick for your stupid joke child, jokes... Get a life and grow up.....

April 9, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  25. yeah

those poop jokes kind of are getting a little lame

April 9, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  26. Rufus Leroy Washington

All right, you rude ba$tard, we gonna call you " da pooper" cuz you do the same butt joke in all your random posts under different names. You be on here more than Superhiro. You must have no life! LAME!

April 9, 2011 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
  27. Super and SG

You two idiots have nothing better to do!! Sunshine and Superhiro may as well get your chubby butts together and pound each other in da pooper. Lame crap, different article. Go suk it you puds!!

April 9, 2011 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
  28. Sunshine Girl

No different than the rest of cable tv. All those channels full of nothing to watch.

April 9, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  29. Rufus Leroy Washington

They have no cloo what they're doing. This idea came from a 1st grade focus group.

April 8, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  30. steve

When traveling in Great Britain and you need a bathroom. They will tell you to go C Loo.

April 8, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  31. yeah

well. major league physically deformed and probably a lil mentally. so what. i sure wont be tunming in to cloo tv. :)

April 8, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  32. yeah

cloo. even i could think up something better that that. and i am slightly retarded. honestly.

April 8, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Superhiro

Lol, you're a saint Triumph

April 8, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Superhiro

Slow news day huh?

April 8, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • HollywoodSurF

Maybe they can solve? How this lady can get another show?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtIX90JmQ2s&w=640&h=390]

April 10, 2011 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Woody in NY

Hey Cable does it again...perfect for the crime ,mystery junkie.....frome House to Law & Order.especially Bobbie & EEmes Crininal Intent....it;s now part of my surf and turf to check what's on.....USA TNT all thumbs up! Wish it was on a channel that didn't need a cable box

November 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris

apparently no one wants to see Walker for 24/7...

March 8, 2012 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |