Will Smith and son Jaden to co-star in sci-fi film
April 6th, 2011

Will Smith and son Jaden to co-star in sci-fi film

It’ll be a family affair on M. Night Shyamalan’s next flick: The filmmaker’s feature will star both Will Smith and his son Jaden, according to the L.A. Times.

The sci-fi movie will be set 1,000 years in the future, where an estranged father and son find themselves on a deserted planet Earth after their spaceship crashes. Acting out a parent-child dynamic will be old hat for the Smiths, and not simply because that's their real relationship. (Will and Jaden previously co-starred in 2006's "Pursuit of Happyness.")

Jada Pinkett Smith (Will’s wife and Jaden’s mom), will serve as the producer. (Surely it's just a matter of time before we hear that “21st Century Girl” Willow Smith will voice the soundtrack.)

Neither of the starring Smiths are strangers to ruling at the box office – 12-year-old Jaden just pulled off an impressive run with 2010’s “Karate Kid” – and for Shyamalan, this cast is a dream come true.

"The chance to make a scary, science-fiction film starring Jaden and Will is my dream project," the “Sixth Sense” director said in a statement.

Filed under: Casting Chronicles • Celebrities • movies

1. Unruellie

May 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Unruellie

Urgh with Shyamalan at the reigns this is sure to be a disaster!!! Will and Jaden GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE YOUR REPUTATIONS!!!!! I think its funny this whole movie will be a family affair and its kind of unfair to leave Willow out of it!!! Ha.....but seriously....Shyamalan sucks...avoid at all costs!

May 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Talk to the hand

Why does it seem that people spread such venom about Will Smith and his family. He's one of the the highest paid, if not the highest paid Actor on the big screen and I think that makes a lot of racist cringe and take to the blogs and comments spewing hate. He and his family are extremely talented, and those that think not, I'm sure their bank would disagree. The children are bright and talented. Frankly the comments about this gracious family disgust me. I have and will always support their talant. Plenty of actors have great movies and not so great movies, but Will Smith is a BIG Box Office draw (he's working) and takes it all the way to the bank so as far as I'm concerned you racist haters can go somewhere, sit down and shut up.

April 19, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. lilmama

there so many hates .they can hate all they want thelivin it big

April 14, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Yo Leah

Where is the moderation? These clowns don't care. Its ok. This article is being read by nobody. I could even say that "Leah likes to bend over for dudes with huge schlongs! I iz ready to schlob da knob!!". Pretty classic!!

April 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. truthinrock

Too bad it's already a bust! Anything M. Night Smamalmadingdong puts his name to is garbage!

April 7, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeez You Guys

Why is it that all celebrities think that their kid is mega talented? Just b/c you share the name, doesnt mean you share the same talent. 'Whip my hair' is a perfect example. Jayden is no different. They need to quit pushing these no talent kids in our faces, and let them grow up and be normal kids. Nope. Wont watch the new movie. The mom and dad (Will and Jada) arent that good of actors, so why all the woop tee doo over the little brats? If someone figures it out, let the rest of us know.

April 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tif

That movie doesnt sound to interesting, but 'HEY' who am I?!

April 7, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Leah

WOW!!!!! So many haters. You all sit there and say bad stuff, but I bet you was sitting in those movie theaters watching those movies!!!! Lol. Will Smith is very talented, and it does run in the fam. People are just mad they are not making the money the Smith's are. This is all too funny

April 7, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  10. thatswhatshesaid

will smith is becoming like nicholas cage, ruining any movie he's in.

April 7, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. eric

just doing the thing you do because you never know ..

April 7, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. Nurse Hildegard

OH my...this is a guaranteed bomb, a mess, a screen full of talentless hacks who are more taken with themselves than all of America is.

April 7, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sunshine Girl

'Whip My Hair' should say it all. Just b/c you are the kid of a celebrity doesnt mean you are talented. And as far as Im concerned, Jayden has a long way to go before the word talent even hits his resume. His parents arent all that good, so what makes you think the kids will be? They may be rich yes but talented no.

April 7, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. B lo me

That is true u never know how a movie will do until it opens but wild wild west's should've scared him off

April 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JD

Will Smith admitted that wild wild west was a mistake however he has had many other great films to his credit. They never know how well a movie will really do until it hits the theaters.

April 6, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fanny B Tender

Will Smith/Many great films...Oxymoron of the day.

April 7, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Unruellie

@ Fanny B Tender Oh Come On!!! Pursuit of Happiness? 7 pounds?!?!?!?!?!?! I Am Legend??? ALI ?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? Are you kidding me? Tell me this man isn't talented and I will show you a person who doesn't understand talent!

May 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  16. B lo me

If the movie sucks oh well jaden smith will have made more money before his 14th birthday than any of you haters will see a picture of. His pops was had his fair share film vomit anybody remember wild wild west

April 6, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Michael Sonnier

Doesn't that family have ENOUGH money yet ?
    We're idiots...

April 6, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rhonda Echavarria

Even worse than Shayamalama & Will Smith's bad movies, is the fact that he & his wife have started their kids in the business too young, even though I think they're great parents otherwise. Now the kids will probably both definitely go into the business w/out even considering anything else. At their age, they're very impressed w/the business.

April 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  19. derp

Shayamalama dinnng dong.

April 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mb2010a

Meh...I can hardly wait.

April 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Brooke

Bleh... I want to believe this will be good but... track record shows it'll suck. I remember when seeing Saw for the first time was like seeing the Sixth Sense for the first time. Sigh, now all M. Night's movies blow, he keeps trying to add a TWIST but his twists suck. I mean... THE HAPPENING... really? How did that ever get made?

April 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Head Diva In Charge - EL

Will Smith was in "Six Degrees of Separation". It was a fantastic movie, then he married Jada. Now, only giant, epic, bombs.

April 6, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Omar

I could not even make it through the previews of the Karate Kid (kunfu kid since it was kunfu and not karate). Jaden can not act worth sht and will i am sorry to say since he married what's her name. Well the chick from matrix. Hell can not even remember her name even though the person I am replying to wrote it. Shows you how much of an impact she has. well since then His career has taken a step down and I can see it going farther down rather than up as his children try to leech from his fame it will only get worse.

April 6, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • lara

I have to say I agree. Will Smith is talented, but hasn't made anything worth watching as of late. As for his kids, it's pretty laughable what they're doing. I don't even think his kids are appealing to other kids...but it seems like Jada and Will keep pushing them to do stuff.

April 7, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • tommytomted

Giant epic bombs? That's not really true. I work as an actor. Will Smith is the closest thing to a sure thing at the box office. So...name all these "bombs", and you can't say Wild Wild West more than once!

April 19, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  23. Superhiro

Shyamalan huh? Auto fail. The Smith family's inexplicably popular acting can't save any movie from that horrible director.

April 6, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • taylynn

Lets not doubt!!! The can use this soundtrack http://www.soundcloud.com/reggiev/let-love-take-us

April 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Uncle Fudge

Jayden behaves like some little SH!T@SS.

April 7, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • tommytomted

How many movies have you directed "Superhiro"? Wow! That many! Who knew?

April 19, 2011 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |