Tina Fey: My Sarah Palin impression hurt '30 Rock'
April 6th, 2011

Tina Fey: My Sarah Palin impression hurt '30 Rock'

Her parody of Sarah Palin may have been a huge hit on "Saturday Night Live," but Tina Fey believes it actually has hurt the ratings for her NBC series "30 Rock," reports USA Today.

"Some may argue that exploiting Governor Palin and her family helped bring attention to my low-rated TV show,"  Fey says of "30 Rock" in her just-released book of essays, "Bossypants." "I am proud to say you are wrong."

Fey says the truth is, "My TV show still enjoys very low ratings. In fact, I think the Palin stuff may have hurt the TV show. Let's face it, between Alec Baldwin and me there is a certain 50 percent of the population who think we are pinko Commie monsters."

The comic actress has offered to help Julianne Moore get into character for HBO's upcoming telefilm "Game Change," in which the Oscar winner plays the former governor of Alaska and vice-presidential candidate.

"She's a great actress," says Fey. "If she needs my wig, I have it. It's at 'SNL.'"

Post by:
Filed under: 30 Rock • Celebrities • Sarah Palin • television

1. Eliza

The low ratings might be because 30 Rock is a little too intellectual and kinda bizarre. I've tried to make myself like 30 Rock, because I love Tina Fey and Jane Krakowski and Tracy Morgan (although I dislike Alec Baldwin). But I just don't like 30 Rock. It's like 30 Rock is watching itself in a mirror, obsessively laughing at its own cleverness, and forgetting about the audience. I LOVED Tina Fey's impressions of Sarah Palin. They were hysterical. But I doubt that Palin's base would have watched 30 Rock, even if Tina Fey hadn't mocked Palin - because 30 Rock is probably just not their cup of tea! ;-)

May 1, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. Tax224

The ONLY performance that Baldwin ever did that was any good was his appearance in Glegarry Glen Ross. Other than that he's pompous ass who takes himself much more seriously than the world does.

April 30, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lindsay

Tina Fey was perfect as Sarah Palin. I'm sure some people didn't like it, but I don't think that's why 30 Rock is struggling. 30 Rock was really great the first few years and just like most sitcoms it started to run out of material. I still love Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin, but it's time for the show to end IMO.

April 29, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Grim Reaper

Turned the channel.

April 25, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joanne

Luv ya Tina Fey and luvvvvvvvvvv 30 Rock!!! All the best in whatever you do and however you do it! You're great and a breath of fresh air!

April 24, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JonnyL

Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey are terrible actors. They are exactly what low rated television is all about.

April 22, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Funny Girl

30 Rock is funny, but I can tell you that the FUNNIEST show on television, now and perhaps ever, is Modern Family – an absolutely brilliant program.

I think Tina Fey is a liberal, but I don't think her portrayal of Sarah Palin was mean-spirited. ALL politicians are skewered ruthlessly on SNL. It would have been an insult to Palin had she NOT been skewered on SNL.

For the record, I'm a moderate who doesn't love OR hate Sarah Palin. I think she's irrelevant on the political scene these days, but I get a kick of how the stark raving left still gets all riled up about her.

April 22, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mike

Wrong Tina, it's more like 30% that think you and Baldwin are pinko commies (for parodying nitwit Sarah Palin, of all things... if any public figure in our culture is ripe for parody, it certainly has to be her). 50% is way too high a number to put on the wing nut contingent who think she's unassailable. Rest easy, Tina.

April 19, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. GozieBoy

I think it was the fact that 30 Rock sucked big time was the real reason why 30 Rock sucked big time. What were you thinking when you got that ol' pompous fat boy involved in the show?

April 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jim

The people on here still hammering Palin blow me away. Liberals are hateful people I guess. Sarah Palin would not make a good President for many reasons but the fact that liberals hate her so much is so revealing. Woman and African Americans are only allowed to be liberal. Free thought? Open debate? Tolerance. No way. Liberals today are Fascist, intolerant and filled with hate. I remember growing up thinking Democrats were the ones who wanted free speech and liberty. Ahhhhh...to be a child.

April 18, 2011 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. LA

Good for her for owning up to the impact insulting half of the country's views has on celebrities' careers. I didn't think they even thought about that. They talk as if everyone else agrees with them and as if those who don't are ignorant fools.

April 16, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • JonnyL

YEAH, Totally.

April 22, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted Linguini

You are only insulted because of your own inclinations, You are living proof that in the Great American Experiment, it has been shown that not everyone should have a vote. Unless you can comprehend the issues, you are an impediment to progress.

April 30, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Val

Tina Fey is great! Who can't have a good laugh at that idiot from alaska with her pig of a daughter and her hand in the government till. You can put lipstick on that dog and she's still a dog. I'm just glad her approval ratings have tanked and even the t-baggers don't want her now.

April 15, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lulu

Tina Fey is an unattractive know-it-all who suddenly found fame because she could nail one impression. Her show tanked because it was an exercise in self-indulgence on the part of its stars.

April 14, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Karen

Lulu, you have said my inner thoughts about Tina Fey with perfection. Can't stand her on 30 Rock, SNL, or her Palin impression. When I hear her name, I switch channels immediately.

April 25, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. hms

yeah, but it saved the world.

April 13, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dee

History won't remember Tina Fey or Alec Baldwin, but Palin will be remembered and part of future research studies. Alec Baldwin's parental rant to his daugtter was one his wife and daughter happened to record. Only an idiot would believe that recorded rant was a first ... it wasn't. He's a pathetic excuse for a father who makes sleeze look good, and all his apologies publicly about his recorded rant can't undo what he did.

April 13, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  16. Madtown

Nonsense. Making fun of $arah Palin has become a national pastime. For me personally, Tina's hysterical potrayal of Palin made me a bigger Fey fan, and I began watching 30 Rock as a result. I didn't watch the show before.

April 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Charlotte Gray

Get over yourself.

April 11, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Guinness

Highlighting the dim wittedness that was Palin was far more beneficial to the country than any ratings Fey was shooting for.
    She should sleep well at night.

April 11, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  19. TDub

I adore Tina Fey, which only makes sense since I'm also a pinko Commie monster. 30 Rock is the single funniest show on television since Seinfeld. If you need your comedy to be a on a lower level, you can always watch The Real Housewives on TLC or Two and a Half Men reruns.

April 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. NotfromTX

If I could just make sure that bossy pants success to shut up/write/ and act, I certainly would. The only person more ridiculous than Sarah Palin is the dumb entertainment writer wanna be Sunday morning talk show host. Get it together honey, what or which is it going to be? Really? Do you really expect us to take your political commentary seriously?
    Your the one who consigned yourself to entertainment and comedy. You and Kathy Griffin should start a club called the mean spoiled brat bossy pants lets make a buck club. You made your bed, lie in it!

April 11, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • NotfromTX

She stuffs her shirt into her underpants for America to laugh at her. We know your not a pinko communist, we know you are a socialist liberal who lacks the capacity to understand what has made our nation great. We are a fabulous people and if she doesn't like it, I believe she would find much contentment and inner peace in either Canada or Mexico. Good luck to you bossy pants, shut up and act! Leave politics and government to the ordinary American citizen, you do us the injustice of considering us ignorant. We're not the court jester, shut up court jester.

April 12, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Truth

@Norene "I really can not stand her and most of America can't either. " Well actually it's most of America can't stand you, sorry.

April 10, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. SReno

"pinko Commie monsters", yep that's about right. And you want to raise my taxes and put my family out on the street, I would definitely classify you as the enemy of the American family.

April 10, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Scott

It wasn't your IMPRESSION that hurt you, Tina. It was your political leanings while doing the impression! It was blatantly obvious that you were against her and were out to make her look stupid. The same kind of thing could have been done to Obama but was not. It was politically motivated and not just for comedy.

April 9, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  24. trevorh

I have to admit, even though I am not a fan of Palin, Fey's impression of her seemed wrong somehow. It was politically motivated, not comedically and I did start to look at Fey differently. I lost respect for her and I stopped watching 30 Rock. I had liked it up til then. Fey needs to realize she is very far removed from reality and politics. She is good at comedy and should stick to that. She knows very little about anything else.

April 9, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

So comedy can't be politically motivated? Her impression of Palin was spot-on. It sounds like you're the one who is far removed from reality and politics.

April 13, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Norene

Don't worry about that Tina. The whole Palin family has no sense of humor. We all love you and I LOVED how you did Sarah Palin. I really can not stand her and most of America can't either. She is such an idiot. If she kept her mouth shut than none of the comedians would have nothing on her but as long as she keeps talking you will have material on her for decades.
    WE LOVE YOU TINA and congrats on your new baby :-)

April 8, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Matt

Don't worry Tina, your Palin impersonation has nothing to do with low ratings. Its the fact that 30 rock is a bit more clever than your average TV watcher. This is a public that couldn't keep the utterly brilliant Arrested Development on the air for more than 50 episodes, but kept the gold standard for mediocrity "Friends" on for rought 48 seasons.

April 7, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • al

Or how about that "Jersey shore" crap. You gotta love america.

April 11, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

It amazes me that people point at "Jersey Shore" and slam all of America for that. Have you seen 1/2 of what's on television in other countries? Much of it is far, far worse than anything on American television.

April 13, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dolly

Friends was genius, and 30 Rock is genius. Personally, I question the genius of individuals who privately congratulate themselves on their ability to understand cleverness they assume escapes others. I remember once reading in a Pushing Daisies community how the person posting liked the show because it seemed to be "for smart people" unlike other shows on television. In other words, smart people like HER. At the end of the day, these are just shows and don't reflect intelligence of viewers. It's just person taste. It doesn't mean much. I have a very smart and lovely friend who completely surprised me by mentioning she watches the Kardashians for goodness sake. But! She remains smart and lovely! Imagine.

April 14, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  27. Michael Indiucky

I've enjoyed reading this blog today. It's always nice to know what's going on in Idiotville. From what I can surmise, the wit of "30" Rock is well beyond the capability of the posters to understand. Maybe you all could get together and watch "Blues Clues." My 3 year-old has some DVDs you could borrow.

April 7, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  28. Head Diva In Charge - EL

I think it was a lucky break for Tina when we saw that she and Palin looked so much alike.

April 7, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  29. leelow

she liiiikes to plaaaay with doooooooodie

April 7, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  30. Bre bre

God bless you tina fey

April 7, 2011 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  31. Bill & Ted

We think Tina Fey is funny but Alec Baldwin is a ginormous dooshbag. After the way he talked to his kid... Dude he needs to get his a$$ whupped.

April 6, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  32. leelow

plus when she was little she played with doooodie instead of playdough. she said it tasted better.

April 6, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  33. leelow

Well she really is a pinko commie monster. I am glad she finally admits it.

April 6, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Superhiro

..You mean.. like the second week, when it was actually Palin on SNL? Or the week after when it was Palin and Tina? Or the week after that, when it was Palin and McCain?

April 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Funny

Like many others, I like Sarah Palin as a person and a politician. The first SNL Palin skit was funny. But week after week your portrayal became downright mean and hateful. That is why your ratings are low. No one likes a bully.

April 6, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really?

If Palin doesn't want to be made fun of, she shouldn't be letting her daughter go on magazine covers and Dancing with the Stars. Not to mention the pile of crap Alaska reality TV show she's doing now. If she wants to be taken seriously, she should stop acting like an idiot.

April 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

It was hilarious. It could have been much meaner. Palin is an idiot.

April 13, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Larry

Nothing on NBC is worth watching.

April 6, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Ha- what do you watch then?

The Office is a must watch.

I bet you're a fox guy – let me guess – Family Guy? Simpsons? My 9 year old son says you're a loser.

April 18, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bee

He's a loser because he doesn't watch anything on NBC? Your 9-year-old son is so profound...

I agree, most NBC shows are dry (including "30 Rock"). Likewise with most ABC/FOX/CBS shows. Why waste time loafing around on the couch if nothing good is on? Personally, I'd rather go to the gym, read/study, or hang out with friends instead of watching those shows. :-)

April 27, 2011 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  37. Superhiro

I never got into 30 rock. I felt Tina, Tracey Morgan and Alec Baldwin were all funnier on SNL

April 6, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  38. THE LEPPS

YOUR TINA FEY. NICE TO MEET YOU IM TINA GAY

April 6, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  39. wjeri

Yeah, well she did not help Palin's success at all either.

April 6, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jen

Tina Fey is amazing! 30 Rock is one of my favorite shows. I even like Alec Baldwin on the show. Her Palin impression was fantastic. I'm not a Palin fan so the impression made me like Tina Fey even more.

April 6, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Kim

Julianne Moore is an Oscar winner? Fow which movie?

April 6, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • not telling

Shes not, shes been nominated 4 times and lost all 4 times.
      Though she does deserve 1

April 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  42. sodakhic

Electrifying Sarah Palin. Movies, books, snl skits, dumpster divers, e Entertainment dramas,#1 or #2 in internet search engines everyday.. I don't recall all the commotion surrounding Mondale , Quayle, Kemp, or Dukakis. Infact all those guys are losing VPs. Never heard from again.

April 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  43. LStein

Alec Baldwin's presence hurt the show. I can't watch anything that idiot is on. AND after he was recorded swearing at his daughter. I definitely had enough.

April 6, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

His daughter deserved it.

April 13, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • MommaBear

@xjdavid – Yes she did, and he has a right to speak to his daughter in a way he sees fit for the situation. She acted like a little selfish pig, so she was regarded as such. If you don't want to be called a pig, don't act like one. Everyone needs to stop protecting the guilty.

May 3, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Chris

LOL! I love you, Tina Fey!

April 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |