Netflix strikes exclusive 'Mad Men' deal
April 6th, 2011

Netflix strikes exclusive 'Mad Men' deal

If you want to watch "Mad Men" reruns in syndication, you'll have to catch them on Netflix.

The Internet movie subscription service has struck a deal with Lionsgate to license the first four seasons of the hit AMC show. Netflix subscribers will be able to stream those seasons beginning July 27.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Netflix is paying almost $1 million per episode for the popular series, which recently was the subject of a  renewal deal between Lionsgate and the show's creator, Matthew Weiner.

"We're delighted to partner with Netflix to begin our syndication of 'Mad Men,'" said Lionsgate President and Co-Chief Operating Officer Steve Beeks in a statement.  "We have ensured 'Mad Men's' value for years to come by layering today's unique syndication deal with a leading digital distribution partner on top of last week's licensing agreement with AMC. "

The new deal between Weiner and Lionsgate is for three years which should extend the series to seven seasons.

1. Funny news of the world

Woodsy carries a humorous sense of humor with regards to your ex,... Who will loathe that. This particular video is actually simply for satisfaction functions and definately will skyrocket you out of your current fact.its funny

January 26, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dork

I love how my netflix suggests crap from the 1940s to me all the time! and when i apply settings to have netflix not give me suggestions it still does wow! I probably have better luck recieving a response from windows after i send an "error report"

April 9, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. sheenius

Maryanne is my kind of girl!

April 7, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. knard

Lol this thread is so funny! I'm def pro Netflicks and pro Mad Men. Add those 2 together and you get the happiest guy you will ever find...

April 7, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. Name*EroC

This is a extremely powerful debate were all spending so much energy on. Isn't there world news we can all focus on? But I am pro net flicks! F#@k cable!

April 7, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. sheenius

The only thing good about that show is the melons on the redhead! Makes my mouth water just thinking about them.

April 7, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sultan

I think the problem is all the wetbacks and colored folks in Television.

April 7, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. Samantha T

Netflix is great. I use it for movies, along with the TVDevo website for watching live TV and on-demand TV shows. TVDevo is great for this. Glad to hear Madmen is available on netflix now. It makes for a good hour.

April 7, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • MaryAnn

That's good to hear Samantha, maybe you can invite me for dinner and a movie sometime. We seem to have the same tastes. :)

April 7, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. Roger

Mad Who? hahahahaha

April 7, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. Patrick

Great, now the fees will increase. 1 million per episode? Ridiculous. I guess Netflix doesn't want to make their service affordable. What idiots. I hope they all die in a fire.

April 7, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • RogerT

Wow. Roger is mad. I hope you don't have any kidos dude. Take that bowling pin out of your a s s.

April 7, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. John

You can't expect everyone to "get" this show, just like you can't expect everyone to be able to become a doctor. That isn't to say that there aren't doctors who would hate this show, and would much rather watch "The B!tchy Housewives of (Insert City)".

I don't necessarily look down (much) upon people who might not "get" the series, but I am willing to bet I have less in common with them, as well.

April 7, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. J-man

Love the show & can't wait to see season 4 when the DVDs come in the mail. I agree, you have to have a certain amount of brain cells to "get" Mad Men... all you trollers just go back to your American Idol garbage.

April 7, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. Head Diva In Charge - EL

I hope they will still run on AMC On Demand....

April 7, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Head Diva In Charge - EL

I hope they will still run on AMC On Demand....

April 7, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. nocturnal

Quality show. One of the few dramas worth watching on cable these days. It's not in my list of top shows ever or anything but I am pretty picky with what TV I watch and I definitely enjoy this.

April 7, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. Best. Show. Ever.

Best. Show. Ever. (Well, other than Breaking Bad, but that's another story)

People, wake up. Who could possibly say that Mad Men is a bad show? Oh wait... I forgot... there is an obvious divide between people "with taste" and people "without taste". I am being serious here, there are just some people who are not cultured/intelligent/"cool".

I feel really sorry for those who don't like the show. It is spectacular.

April 7, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  17. nick

This show sucks...and so do you people. How is my spelling justafan??

April 7, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Really, "nick"? Really?

We all "suck" if we like this show? Well, if that isn't the statement of a pre-teen, I don't know what is.

April 7, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Calm Down Johno

@John
      Really? John? Really? Why are you putting down someone's opinion? Does only your opinion count? Who's the pre-teen drama queen? You are idiot.

April 7, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  18. andrew

I wish netflix had "chuck," Burn Notice," the mentalist," and "how I met your mother."

April 7, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  19. wallyhorse

Personally:

While this is a good moneymaking deal, to me, it's also bad because it keeps the show off over-the-air stations, where it could have gotten the same money, if not more for weekend syndication, giving those without cable who would rather not watch streaming video the chance to see the show. There are a lot of people who would love to see it, but simply can't afford even basic cable or a Netflix subscription who are being denied the chance to see it because of this deal.

April 7, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian

I seriously doubt this show would be aired on network TV due to its content.

I'm pleased with this. Broadcast TV and cable TV need to die. I shouldn't have to sit down at my TV at a certain time to watch a show. That was the only way it could be done before broadband, but now it's archaic.

April 7, 2011 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Katharine

Netflix is about $8/month. If you can't afford that, you don't own a TV. You can also pause your subscription and keep your queue; you're not forced to have a subscription term, it's just month-to-month. They really make it simple and easy.

April 7, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • wallyhorse

Ian:

When I was thinking over-the-air stations, I was thinking more in terms of airing late night Saturdays and Sundays (in most cases at 11:00 or 11:30 PM local time depending on the time zone and/or network affiliation), as "Mad Men" is the kind of show someone who doesn't want to see "Saturday Night Live" (or if "SNL" is a repeat that Saturday) would much rather see. Also, with DVRs, most people can record it to air later.

There are a lot of people who have no interest in seeing streaming video unless they have an HPTC that has a mega-fast processor that can show stuff at sufficient rates, which is why I think this is a bad deal (though five years from now, it probably won't as technology continues to speed up).

April 10, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Chitown Jason

I'm not one to watch a lot of TV, but I got into this show last year for Season 4. Comcast On-Demand has been scrolling through previous episodes so I'm catching up on the previous action for free. :)

It's really a pretty cool show, imo, but I recognize I have a bit more interest in various things this show hits on, such as history, marketing, and being a ladies man like Don is.

April 7, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  21. Gavin Ford

I love this show...it's great entertainment for people who think and know their history.

April 7, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  22. Geezer

What's Netflix?

April 6, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. JB

Well, lets see if Netflix streams ALL 4 seasons, all episodes, in order, or does it like they seem to do with their other series.That is, you have to get the DVD in the mail for episode 1-3 of season one,then you can watch ther rest streaming. Or season one by mail, season 2-4 streaming or some other combination. Thats why I got rid of Netflix. Too much of their streaming stuff is, uh, "less desirable", or they break up series between streaming and mail. If its not streamed, I don't mess with it.

April 6, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  24. JR

Can someone please give me an example of a plausible plot that they enjoy? Whenever people say something is implausible, they never give a reason. I love the show personally, which is why I bothered to read this story and the comments, but I respect everyone's right to their opinions. I would just really appreciate an example of "plausible." I may even check the referenced show out. Anyone?

April 6, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Antihiro

Superhiro- u r on here all the time, yet you say nuthing witty or valuable. DOES YOR MOM KNOW U R UP THIS LATE?

April 6, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Pamela M.

Madmen is a great show. Cable TV lost again and Netflix won. Between Netflix for movies and the TVDevo website for live and on-demand TV, who needs Cable TV at $100+ per month? It's all online.

April 6, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  27. @WhipperSnapper

Totally agree. Madmen is just one huge(poorly written) soap opera with above average wardrobe and set design people. Everything LOOKS good on Madmen, but that's about it.

April 6, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Bennyhill

50 mill is cheap. Netflix Could be $24 a month and still run circles around the $100 a month cable gets. Look for a standard then deluxe Netflix

April 6, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Superhiro

Couldn't get past the first season. The plotlines were just too implausible.

April 6, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Nate H

That show is awesome! I've seen every episode. While some are outlandish, they are all feasible in the world of Madison Avenue in that time period. $1 million per episode seems a little ridiculous, though – especially for 4 seasons worth. That's approx. $50 million just show it on Netflix, which you can subscribe to for $9.99/month. I don't think 5 million people are going to suddenly sign up for Netflix just because of this. You're losing money on this Netflix.

April 6, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whipper Snapper

Wow. Good to know you were alive back then and living on Madison Avenue way back in the day Nate H. And I impressed your retirement home has wi-fi too.

I think Madmen is one of the worst shows in the history of television, one rung above the dribble that is the desperate housewives of whatever freaking county.

April 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Berggren

Nate – you're assuming that 5 million 9.99 subscribers would sign up for one month then quit. I'm sure the business model indicates a longer term of membership. I've had mine for more than 5 years. Netflix is counting on the EXCLUSIVITY to attract customers. This is in keeping with their entry into original programming.

April 7, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  31. Superhiro

I don't get what people see in this show. The storylines are rediculous.

April 6, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • justafan

No more so than your spelling

April 6, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

Actually, yes, they're quite a bit more ridiculous than a single type.

April 6, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

Lol, the irony. *typo :P

April 6, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • wilson

Don't feel bad that you can't understand the show because it's over your head. At least they have simpler shows like the Jersey Shores for you.

April 6, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

Do us all a favor and stick to watching 'Maury Povich' reruns–we'll keep watching 'Mad Men'.

April 7, 2011 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |