Gwyneth Paltrow: I'm not an icy blonde
April 6th, 2011

Gwyneth Paltrow: I'm not an icy blonde

She may play her share of serious roles on the big screen, but "Glee's" fun-loving substitute teacher Holly Holiday is much more true to her real self, Gwyneth Paltrow says.

"I've got this ice-blonde reputation and that's just not me," the Oscar winner tells Ladies' Home Journal of the public's perception that she's uptight. "I do silly things in public all the time, like hosting 'Saturday Night Live,' or I'll go out with friends and have a good time. I try to live my life to the fullest even if it means making a fool of myself."

She also eats to the fullest. Paltrow, whose cookbook "My Father's Daughter: Delicious, Easy Recipes Celebrating Family & Togetherness," arrives in stores April 13, says it's not just life she has a huge appetite for.

"There's the me that will have a salad, a bowl of pasta and a glass of wine, and then there's the other me that will have four glasses of wine, fried zucchini, pasta, chicken parmigiana and dessert," she tells the magazine. "I try not to do that other version too much. I was at a party having dinner next to Mario Batali and he was like, 'You're the only person I know who eats more than me.' "

Post by:
Filed under: Books • Celebrities • Glee • movies • television

1. pandoramn

First of all, both of her parents are fair-skinned and light haired so I'm thinkin the blonde is at least somewhat natural. Secondly, just because she criticized the way Americans have become rude and pushy doesn't mean she 'hates America' – unfortunately, it means she's observant and correct. She chose to raise her children mostly in Britain so they wouldn't be chased down the sidewalk by papparatzi like Suri Cruise is here. And I saw the PBS show with Mario Batali and she definitely seems to enjoy her food! Does that mean she eats that way all of the time – of course not. She never said that she did! I'm not a huge fan of every movie she's done, but I think she's mildly entertaining and seems like a nice person.

April 7, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MS

She doesn't name the articles and she doesn't determine the context of her quotes. I appreciate that she doesn't seek the celebrity glory most do, and her movies are largely good choices. That doesn't mean I consider her a great actress, it means that the movies she participates in are usually quite decent. I don't give a hoot about celebs' lives 99% of the time, but I wandered on this link with a few extra minutes.

April 7, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. Daniel

A lot of people seem to be insanely jealous of this really hot, talented woman.

April 6, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Roland

She's cute.

April 6, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. David

She is not icy just a beeeoootttccchhhh.

April 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. john

Gwen sure likes america when the checks are rolling in! what an idiot! and we print crap about these types of people because? example of someone who has never amounted to anything on her own..why would anyone respect or care about that?

April 6, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Translation

Translation: "I'm an icy blonde."

April 6, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. john

Another complete waste of space..contributes nothing to society except the easy life few of us ever see..there is no reality with that..what a joke!

April 6, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. tiabear

I love Gwennyth. Her hair is icy blonde but she is very kewl. So cute widdle blondie. You are thumbs up to me!!!

April 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. trunks

Paltrow Hates America! Don't forget people.

April 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mkub

My favorite part of this article is the headline on CNN's homepage "Gwyneth: I'm no a icy blonde!" Uhhhh...

April 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jen

I hope she sticks to acting only. She's not a "bad" singer to me, just an "okay" one and "okay" doesn't sell millions of records.

April 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Trunks

She bashes America and needs to stay in the UK. Good riddance!

April 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ricky

She eats all that stuff and then takes a massive dump.

April 6, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lol

Lol

April 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  16. boozie's mom

Nobody knows her like Tom Businga does!

April 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. sav

Not icy. Just intensely boring. And that monotonous droning voice ...

April 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  18. aj

She remembered me of Ms. Goldie, Kurt Russell's ditzy woman. They like to have funs, be happy and fircely love their families! What is so special about them? Normalcy!

April 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jax

First of all: NOT BLONDE !!
    Second: If not for her famous parents, she would be schlepping her kids to soccer practice like the rest of us.

April 6, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mae

having famous parents doesn't make her less deserving of respect and the right to succeed profesionally on the other hand you do not spend 24/7 with her to know exactly what she does, just stop watching the same photo over and over!!!

April 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Anonymous

Not "icy" just ditzy...

April 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  21. stem

She named her daughter "Apple". That alone is reason enough to make us question her normalcy.

April 6, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  22. k

I think icy is actually too good of a word to describe her. Icy implies depth, intelligence, snobbishness. I think a good Paltrow word would be vanilla. Vanilla is nice but lackluster, as I find her acting, singing, personality (what I know of it)and general style. She's nice looking, but in my opinion nothing special.

April 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Beth

I think you must have watched a completely different show Kristy. She admired her maternal great great grandmother for taking a risk to move from her home to another strange city hundreds of miles away. And she was sympathetic to her paternal great grandmother who endured a lot of heartbreak in her life which caused deep depressions. I didn't hear one snide remark made. She was polite and gracious to all of the researchers she worked with.

Gwenyth is a class act and just because she is successful and poised doesn't make her a snob. And just because you don't hear about her making charitable contributions doesn't mean she doesn't. A lot of people, famous or not, make donations to charity and ask not to be named. That is their right as a donor.

Most of you need to get a life and quit judging someone that you don't know, nor has ever done anything to you personally. I suspect if the roles were reversed, you would have a lot to be judged harshly on yourselves. Like posting hateful things on a website. Small minds.

April 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Pennagirl

However, her "parenting blog" she does come off as pretenious, snobby and holier than thou. Not icy, though!

April 6, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  25. blsmafia

All I know is she has great legs and looks good naked. Other than that I don't know her personally so as long as she keeps showing those legs I'm fine.

April 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  26. sunless

try better this http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

April 6, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Kristy

I saw her on Who Do You Think You Are. I thought she looked down on the women in her family and praised the men in her family. Everytime she found out something about a female member in her family there was always a subtle snide remark, but when she would find something about a male member she was praising them, and they could do no wrong. Maybe it was the way she was raised to adore her father, I don't know. I just thought she came off a little snobby.

April 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

maybe the women in her family are b1tches...it's been known to happen

April 6, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ruth

I saw the show, but I'm not sure you did. She had a lot of empathy for the great grandmother she'd always heard was a bad mother and kept a filthy house. When she found out she'd lost a 3-year-old daughter in an accident a few weeks before giving birth to another child, she wondered how the woman could have even gotten out of bed. She also admired the great grandmother on her mother's side who left Barbados for New York to find work when there was none to be found at home. I heard now snide remarks and instead found her to be very likable and relatable. Her parents did a great job raising her is what I thought.

April 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  28. WHY?

Why do people go to blog sites and browse over dozens of stories....click and read and article then post "Why is this news? If you want strictly "news" than click on the "US" "World" or "Politics" sections. Don't click on the "Entertainment" section than ask why the stories are news. That's just goofy. People have been interested in the lives of celebrites since there was a such thing as celebrities. Hence the "Entertainment" section. SMH

April 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  29. nemo

Someone please tell me....why is this news...I mean who gives a flip....if ya need a story cnn..well..just make one up?...here's a better one..BREAKING NEWS!!!! A shopping cart has been spotted in a vacant lot!...now that's interesting...

April 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Anthony

Give her a break, so many pressures, no one's perfect. How can anyone really know her by watching her on television? I think it would be a pleasure to know her personally.

April 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ieat

used to not like her. But it seems like she's a good mom, not doing drugs, and a normal person which is hard to find in hollywood. However, I'm not a fan of what she recently did to her face. I don't know what she did but she's going to resemble meg ryan if she keeps it up.

April 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. @Head Diva In Charge

I bet you eat more than half the people in the south fat pig. Shut your mouth piggy.

April 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  33. dee

compared to Cameron Diaz, Gwen seems icy..

April 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  34. crow

Ill drink a cold beer with and invited her to watch some football, but I am sorry u have a nice ass

April 6, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Sandy

Yes, you do make a fool of yourself - and often - every time you open your mouth. Go back to England, Gwynnie. Don't come crawling back here to make money after you bad mouthed the United States.

April 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Fran

I try to live my life to the fullest even if it means making a fool of myself."
    You do every time you sing! It's not good paltrow so stop it already!

April 6, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Melanie22

Yes, your are an ICY BLOND woman and a bad actress as well. Your movies are boringgggggggg!!!!!!!

April 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jan

So boring, and yet here you are reading articles about her, as well as logging on and posting your thoughts about her. She's doing something right. And all her films are boring? We can't all be fans of Steven Seagal or whomever likely inspires your intellect.

April 6, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • jax

Hey "Jan" ! What are you, Gwyneth Paltrow's aunt or something?

April 6, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  38. jean claude van damn

Gwyneth has class. Nuff said.

April 6, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • sly stallone

Yeah. That Gwinneth. Gweneth. Well, however you spell it. She's one classy broad. Real classy. Bet her armpits smell good too.

April 6, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  39. NickDrakeGirl

I cannot stand this snobby woman. She acts like everyone has tons of money. I never read about her doing philanthropic projects like her ex's new woman, Angelina. If I ever have, I certainly didn't remember it because it was so rare. She's too busy doing yoga and telling us the magical places to visit in Hong Kong on her web site..
    She is also a huge name dropper. Every time I read an interview with her, she's talking about her buddies, Madonna, or Stella McCartney, blah blah blah. She did it here too: "I was at a party having dinner next to Mario Batali..."
    Well, la-di-fricking-da.

April 6, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lola

People drop names and take poses because they are insecure.

April 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesse

Wow, Nick, Nick, Nick; maybe you should see someone about all this anger and hatred directed at a complete stranger.

April 6, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  40. RealEstate

I just wanted to make a dumb comment so it fits in with all the others, now I'm going to go have some Cheerios.

April 6, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Marylandls

Loved her last week on "Who Do You Think You Are" where she traced her family roots. (Love that show!) She has a very interesting family history, and she was like a little kid learning all the exciting things about her family history. She's cute, I like her well enough.

She's skinny because she the Mother of an active, young child and because she's got 500 projects all going at once!

April 6, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chrissi

Um, as graduate student, social worker, blogger and mother of a 2 year old, I must disagree with the suggestion that busyness and motherhood do anything to promote a svelte body.

April 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

yeah, that's the stupid reasoning Kelly Ripa uses to justify her anorexic body. Having kids doesn't make you skinny. In fact, most mothers gain weight because a) they had a baby and their body chemistry changed b)they sit around eating the leftovers off of their kids' plates all day so as not to waste food (this is actually a common problem, weirdly enough)

April 6, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ruth

Gwyneth works out like crazy and so do Kelly Rippa and Elizabeth Hasselbeck. That's why they can eat and stay thin.

April 6, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • jax

@chrissi Being busy and caring for new baby can definitely lead to weight loss. It happened to me. If calorie intake stays the same as pre-baby, but you are busier than before, = weight loss.

April 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Joe G

I think it might be time to break the ice with some mud wrestling!

April 6, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  43. boozie's mom

I think Tom Businga dated Winona too. He is a player!

April 6, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  44. leelow

She seems the exact opposite of a rude icy person. I have always thought she seems like a goofy moron. I like goofy morons. They are nice and fun to be around.

April 6, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  45. boozie's mom

Tom Businga dated Gwyneth a long time ago.

April 6, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  46. Realblonde

Icy blonde? She's not a blonde at all. Just another over-processed wanna- be.

April 6, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  47. Mary Moore

@Yuk What is wrong with you? What happened in your life that made you so cold and sick?

April 6, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  48. Jilly

Suuuuuure Gwyneth. And what does your starvation diet personal trainer Tracy Anderson say when you're pigging out with Mario?

Spoiled little rich girl cries cause people think she's a snot? Please.

April 6, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Jesse

Why so much anger directed at someone you've never met, Jilly? I guess I can ask this of all you haters.

April 6, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • poozle

judging by her comment, Jilly is probably fat.

April 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spud Goat

You may want to remove your head from its rectal sheath.

April 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jilly

Oh come on. She grew up in LA and her parents were an actor and a producer. She went to a private school in New York and spent a year in Spain – do you honestly think this WASN'T a little rich girl?

Tracy Anderson's regime is based on a >1000 calorie per day diet. I'm just guessing, but somehow I doubt Mario's sticking to that.

April 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Bob

Fine.
    All she has to be.

April 6, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  50. Susan

Right. I'm so sure that she eats more than Mario Batali. I'm sure she just gorges herself on fried food and carbs and is still stick-thin. Give me a break. Hello, it is ok to say "I am an actress. Being thin is part of my job. I have to really watch what I eat." Very, very few people can eat what they want and stay thin only through exercise! Don't believe her for a second.

April 6, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • ieat

she has the skinny body shape. I am 5 ' 2, 95 lbs. If I exercise even just half an hour on the treadmill twice a week, I can eat like a teenager. So I think it's possible she eats a lot in special occasions.

April 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  51. KM

Don't care. Still hot.

April 6, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  52. Head Diva In Charge

I actually DO get the "warm fuzzy" feeling from her. But I do find it hard to believe that she EVER eat more then Mario!

April 6, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  53. Elizabeth

I think that she's been a little miscast as the icy blonde. I didn't really "get" the Gwyneth Paltrow that isn't the super-skinny, always-in-control actress until I accidentally caught her series on PBS with Mario Batali. She was stealing people's french fries, eating like she'd never heard the words " macrobiotic diet," having one-to-many glasses of wine and letting her guard down, and was absolutely delightful. She was amazingly gracious towards the hosts, appreciative, and unassuming. Gorgeous with no make-up, hair stylist, or red-carpet-ready garb. I can see where people put her into the ice-queen box, but I think she just has a lot of passion and talent, which can make her seem unapproachable.

I honestly can't believe I'm defending a Hollywood star (I think most of them are insipid narcissists) who named her children Apple and Moses, but I think she's genuine.

April 6, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • I Agree

I saw that same special on PBS and I agree! I didn't really like her until I watched that show. She was so laid-back and the entire show was about cooking and food. Never once did she count the calories or squirm at the idea of eating new foods. Some of the time she wasn't even on the show because she was at home with her kids. And....she did eat more that Mario Batali more than once...

April 6, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Goldie

I didn't think she was icy until I read how she stole the Shakespeare in Love part from then best friend Winona Ryder.

April 6, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • mjinmd

Watching Glee is much more enjoyable when she is on as a guest star. I really, really like her. As far as I'm concerned she's a classy lady.

April 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

how do you "steal" a part? What, did she put rat poison in Winona's food? The studios make those decisions. By the way, that was a completely false rumor as Winona was never even up for the part-you seriously think Winona is a Shakespearean actress? I like her but there is no way in heck she could pull that off.

April 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • how odd

hmm, for me it WAS the PBS show that made me realize she is kinda snotty. had heard rumors but always kinda liked her – since most of us only know her in character, and i think she is attractive. she was the most uptight and least entertaining and desirable person of the four on that show. and she most certainly was picky about food at times, including pork and butter. now claudia bassols...whoaaa, would party with that hottie any time! she was a total scrumptious delight to discover, thanks mario.

April 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  54. LBWl

Yes she is. I do like her mom. Blythe Danner comes across as warm and funny. Gwyneth is snobby.

April 6, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  55. doc

You can't be an icy blond with those dark roots.

April 6, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  56. Ice Bomb

Thanks Gwen, now go away.

April 6, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Smelly

Gwen has the meth-stink-look about her. But she probably pays someone to spritz the air around her so no one notices.

April 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • fire bomb

Tell me ice bomb, why do retarded sacks of crap like yourself waste time commenting if you dislike her so much? Have you nothing better to do with your time but be a resentful insignificant plebian of a human being? You are pathetic. Bury yourself.

April 7, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |